Driving With A Uk Licence!

My friend is in LOS on a 30 day entry stamp. Although he and his Thai wife own a house here, he only stays for a few weeks so has not been able to get a Thai driving licence. On a trip to Issan he was stopped at a police road block on the 304 between Kabin Buri and Korat. When he produced his UK driving licence the police said it wasn't acceptable, that he should have International licence and fined him 300 baht. I think they asked for more at first but dropped it down to 300. About 30 hours later they were returning to Pattaya again on the 304 when they were stopped almost in the same place. His wife spoke to the police saying they only stopped them the day before for the same problem ( UK driving licence ) The police said that was more than 24 hours ago so you have to pay again. This time 100 baht after a bit of banter. I told my friend that as far as I knew you could drive with a UK licence providing you were on a tourist visa and these cops were just after some tea money. Does anyone know if this is correct? :o:D

What the police are telling you is 100% correct. You cannot drive/ride in Thailand on a Uk licence. You need an international licence or Thai one. You will have to pay 300 Baht every time you get stopped, and this can go up - not down depending on how they update the police record of your offences.

I've lived in Phuket for 8 years and the licence is easily obtained in a day for a about 100 Baht. The written test (in English) can be circumvented for an additional 500Baht or so!

My friend is in LOS on a 30 day entry stamp. Although he and his Thai wife own a house here, he only stays for a few weeks so has not been able to get a Thai driving licence. On a trip to Issan he was stopped at a police road block on the 304 between Kabin Buri and Korat. When he produced his UK driving licence the police said it wasn't acceptable, that he should have International licence and fined him 300 baht. I think they asked for more at first but dropped it down to 300. About 30 hours later they were returning to Pattaya again on the 304 when they were stopped almost in the same place. His wife spoke to the police saying they only stopped them the day before for the same problem ( UK driving licence ) The police said that was more than 24 hours ago so you have to pay again. This time 100 baht after a bit of banter. I told my friend that as far as I knew you could drive with a UK licence providing you were on a tourist visa and these cops were just after some tea money. Does anyone know if this is correct? :o:D

Probably they saw a farang and as you say were just after some tea money. I have been stopped with my uk licence and it was accepted. I think it depends on where you are. I got stopped on the same road for having spot lights on my truck. They wanted 1000 Baht but dropped it to 100 Baht and asked me to take the lights off the truck, as I did this I took the cops photo and told him I would put it on the internet and send it to the papers. They were not very happy. When I left the cop shop the first thing I saw was a police man on a motor cycle with spot lights. The cops in Thailand are the same as any cop. Once the jacket is on the badness is in them.

You will have guessed by now that I hate cops.

I've lived in Phuket for 8 years and the licence is easily obtained in a day for a about 100 Baht. The written test (in English) can be circumvented for an additional 500Baht or so!

As long as you have a Non Immigrant Visa.. :o

totster :D

Probably they saw a farang and as you say were just after some tea money. I have been stopped with my uk licence and it was accepted. I think it depends on where you are. I got stopped on the same road for having spot lights on my truck. They wanted 1000 Baht but dropped it to 100 Baht and asked me to take the lights off the truck, as I did this I took the cops photo and told him I would put it on the internet and send it to the papers. They were not very happy. When I left the cop shop the first thing I saw was a police man on a motor cycle with spot lights. The cops in Thailand are the same as any cop. Once the jacket is on the badness is in them.

You will have guessed by now that I hate cops.

I don't think paying a fine of a few hundred baht is harsh at all - certainly not anything to get upset about.

How far would you get with the police in the UK if you produced a Thai licence when you are stopped?

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

I drove for over a year on a UK driving licence and as long as I showed my passport never had a problem. However it is against the law so you must be prepared to pay. Also if you have an accident you will likely not be insured, as the Insurance Company takes details of your "legal" driving licence.

You need an IDP (International Driving Permit) get it from the AA or RAC only a fiver or so.

What the others say about being stopped is true, probably have to slip the man a few Red Ones (100 Baht notes).

BUT

It's not about being stopped, it's about having accidents and particularly the validity of the vehicle insurance.

Without the IDP you are not legally licenced to drive, the insurance company MAY use this as a method to avoid paying for the BMW / MERC / dead person, leaving you with a king sized financial / freedom problem.

Spend the fiver and get the IDP.

And it is said that many insurance contracts contain clauses disclaiming responsibility if the claimant does not have a Thai drivers licence.

The only sensible advice is to not drive in Thailand without a Thai driving licence if you can't get one don't drive.

But then who is that sensible? Certainly not persons who cannot research the fact that an international driving licence is required in Thailand before taking to the road.

This information is very freely available it is absolutely not a secret. :o

Edited by fisherd3