Reduction in passport fees for UK citizens overseas

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine back last month.

Cost me £151.bah.gif

I believe the passport office may offer an exception in your case Lite Beer in regards to a rebate on the fee. All they want is 2 official documents proving your address in Thailand laugh.png

As you know in Thailand we have to have ID as foreigners so the UK Passport Authority allows us to keep the old Passport which is very considerate, although naturally it cannot be used for travel as soon as you apply for a new one the old Passport is cancelled. I put a note in my application that I only had a 30 day Visa in Thailand as the website said it can take longer to get a new Passport and was very impressed it only took about 21/2 weeks until my new Passport came back so I had no overstay. Yes I thought at the time compared to applications I the UK it was very expensive about time it was reduced in cost.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As you know in Thailand we have to have ID as foreigners so the UK Passport Authority allows us to keep the old Passport which is very considerate, although naturally it cannot be used for travel as soon as you apply for a new one the old Passport is cancelled. I put a note in my application that I only had a 30 day Visa in Thailand as the website said it can take longer to get a new Passport and was very impressed it only took about 21/2 weeks until my new Passport came back so I had no overstay. Yes I thought at the time compared to applications I the UK it was very expensive about time it was reduced in cost.

As a matter of interest why travel on a passport with very limited validity or virtually full ?

The passport could have easily been renewed in the UK and at a lesser cost.

Most countries require a passport to have at least a 6 month validity and will refuse entry if validity is less !

Edited by thepool
  • Like 1

I would suggest that this significant reduction is more to do with the thousands of complaints that they have received from UK citizens overseas, along with their inability to provide sufficient justification for the previous exorbitant cost of a passport.

• Like 2

If the conalition think this measly discount is going to bring a flood of ex-pat postal votes in next year's election they need to think more deeply.

Bleating about an isolated IT/Civil Service processing success is like spotting snowflakes in Bangkok. When will they learn that organisations, administrations and services (e.g. nurses, teachers and lecturers, firemen, etc.etc) which are starved of middle level pay rises lose the people who know how things work or used to work. This week they announced they will ship in Shanghainese school teachers; they had to ship in the army to sort out the Olympics yet yesterday they announced their plans to screw public servants with below inflation rises of 1%.

Probably due to the fact with all the recent stuff about Khaosan Road knocking out cheapies...

They probably thought we better go into competition with the fakers!?!

(Better to make some money than none)...

cheesy.gif

Does that mean I will get a rebate.

My application arrived at Liverpool 3 weeks ago today and nobody over there can tell me what is happening.

Liverpool have had my passport since mid december.After chasing it up in mid feb,they said i had to photcopy all my 46 pages, in colour and send proff of residency,with a cope of a bill or driving license.After doint this, i am still waiting for the new one to appear

arrrgh !!! I just sent my application off. Anyone have the email address in Liverpool ???? They have mine but they don't post their's. Hope they ask me if want to delay my application - which I do !

Very much doubt they will accept emails.....

Well I have just re -newed my Kiwi passport this week and a 44 page with a cracking new front page cost me 3,600bt,and that included the courier fee as well,door to door.What do you think of that----------- GO KIWI GO !!!!!! clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif

• Like 1

My current passport expires soon.............how much is 83 quid in real money?smile.png

At today's exchange rate 4525 baht. Plus courier fees.

That's 2225 baht more than it cost me for a 52 page passport last year and it only took 10 days to get.

Does that mean I will get a rebate.

My application arrived at Liverpool 3 weeks ago today and nobody over there can tell me what is happening.

Liverpool have had my passport since mid december.After chasing it up in mid feb,they said i had to photcopy all my 46 pages, in colour and send proff of residency,with a cope of a bill or driving license.After doint this, i am still waiting for the new one to appear

HELL,S BELLS-------- My 44page cost 3600bt and that included $25 courier and all New Zealand wanted was 3 forms and 2 photos.Where on earth do you get enough info for a passport to cover 44 pages.------------ and it arrived in 16 days