Odd Tree With Fruit

I asked my Indonesian friend what the same sort of tree was, and he said 'bread fruit'.

Photo from Wikipaedia

Cheers

I presume this was the same breadfruit which Capt Bligh went to collect.   He stayed in the islands a little too long!

• Like 1

Artocarpus altilis is breafruit but i just bought a similar tree and asked the seller 5 times if it was breadfruit and she said no. In Thai language she wrote what it was on the tree and my wife said it is Artocarpus altilis but that term is used for more tree's in thailand.

It can also be a breadnut, looks the same but the fruits have big nuts inside that are eaten and nice.

Sa-ke is grown pretty much around here by locals. They can become big tree's. I still want to try them myself.

In this family of artocarpus are many more fruittree's that are not in Thailand, look at my post about keledang and marang or pedalai. They are the real deal but not easy to find in Thailand.

Edited by namdocmai

Artocarpus altilis is breafruit but i just bought a similar tree and asked the seller 5 times if it was breadfruit and she said no. In Thai language she wrote what it was on the tree and my wife said it is Artocarpus altilis but that term is used for more tree's in thailand.

It can also be a breadnut, looks the same but the fruits have big nuts inside that are eaten and nice.

Sa-ke is grown pretty much around here by locals. They can become big tree's. I still want to try them myself.

In this family of artocarpus are many more fruittree's that are not in Thailand, look at my post about keledang and marang or pedalai. They are the real deal but not easy to find in Thailand.

Ok thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a Tree with Fruit in Khon Kaen today

I was wondering id anyone knows what it is 

Thanks 
Gaz

We had it in our garden years back when I lived on Mahe, Sheychelles.
It, s breadfruit. Good to put on the grill.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 months later...

Ok I have another Tree 

I don't know what it is 

I walk everyday around the lake here in KK

I see people plucking leaves of this one every now and then  they get many filling a shopping Bag or two

Does anyone have any idea

My misses said your tree is? Chongkho ชงโด ,pupple orchid tree,Bauhinia purpurea,it is a native to South China.
The misses said the leaves are very bitter,weather are they collected for mmedicinal use?

Edited by Crossy
huge amount of whitespace removed
  • Like 1

Got it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phanera_purpurea

Looks very interesting    Thankyou

I see one in the park I will get cuttings

Phanera purpurea

Biological activities[edit]

Phanera purpurea may possess antibacterial, antidiabetic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-diarrheal, anticancerous, nephroprotective, and thyroid hormone-regulating activity.[5] Water extracts of the leaves of Phanera purpurea have been shown to have anti-ulcer activity in animals in the 'ethanol-induced gastric ulcer model'.[6] Water extracts did not show any signs of toxicity when given to rats orally at doses up to 5000 mg/kg.

Edited by gazzasore

• 3 weeks later...

Not its got lots of small seeds inside the round Pod   the seeds are Chocolate brown colour and all shaped to fit inside 

Its not a longan or Longon 

I don't even know if you can eat the seed   but might be useful for some sort of Medication 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have another one 

If anyone knows the Ozone village in Khon Kaen  this tree is there 

It has fruit  that are very much like Oranges

I had a cutting growing until a snail decided it liked the leaves more than I did

Good stuff
You have a good knowledge of Trees here in Thailand
I planted more cuttings today as the snails ate the last lot

It is not me ,I know a few, but it is my misses ,I show her the photo, she says what it is, write's it down in Thai or tells me how to spell it ,and I go in to Thai Google to have a look at them.
This one I could remember,it was not that long ago when we had some.

Bread fruit it is!

You could just cut it in to small 'cubes' (size of an ice cube) and just boil it in water with a bit of salt.

Cut it like potato chips, and fry it - lovely!

Can cook it as a vegetable and eat it with rice - fantastic!

(of course the skin has to go)

https://www.google.lk/search?q=breadfruit+recipes&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=653&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bGHWU43aM87z8QWPioCYDA&ved=0CBwQsAQ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/breadfruit

http://www.infolanka.com/recipes/mess3/130.html

http://www.dailyfoodrecipes.com/bread-fruit-curry-dhel-maluwa/

Breadfruit....I've been looking for it. I know from my days in the tropical Pacific. There it is a staple starch food. I have many uses for it and would love to get some. I have seen things in the market that I thought was breadfruit, but decided was jackfruit.

I asked my Indonesian friend what the same sort of tree was, and he said 'bread fruit'.

Photo from Wikipaedia

Cheers

I presume this was the same breadfruit which Capt Bligh went to collect.   He stayed in the islands a little too long!

Was it Bligh or Cook on his 3rd voyage? Same fruit, anyway.