Staying at the in laws in Phrae at Songkran - hold me

pinkpanther99

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could look into hotels and home-stay options?

FWIW, you won't be the only foreigner around.

Phrae is a large province, assuming you are not staying in Phrae city, do you know which district/sub-district your in-laws call home?

Phrae is a beautiful province, although the forest burning now is quite bad.

I'd recommend a visit to Wat Phra Tot Cho Hae; it is both a Royal Temple, and a birth/zodiac temple (Tiger).

There are also a couple of colonial houses/museums in Phrae city which are interesting.

Have some Khao Soi at Khaosoi Che Lek - 35 Nam Kue Road Nai Wiang Subdistrict Mueang Prae District, Phrae, Thailand

It will be unbearably hot but it should be fun.

• Like 1

Well I am sure the in-laws are "thrilled" to bits to be entertaining a Hi-So Farang! They must be counting the days.

yes, fair comment! You're probably right. I can see the mother in law bitching on the Thai equivilant of Thaivisa forum about the ungrateful farang who is coming to stay for four whole days!!

You could look into hotels and home-stay options?

FWIW, you won't be the only foreigner around.

Phrae is a large province, assuming you are not staying in Phrae city, do you know which district/sub-district your in-laws call home?

Phrae is a beautiful province, although the forest burning now is quite bad.

I'd recommend a visit to Wat Phra Tot Cho Hae; it is both a Royal Temple, and a birth/zodiac temple (Tiger).

There are also a couple of colonial houses/museums in Phrae city which are interesting.

Have some Khao Soi at Khaosoi Che Lek - 35 Nam Kue Road Nai Wiang Subdistrict Mueang Prae District, Phrae, Thailand

It will be unbearably hot but it should be fun.

Yes, Phrae is indeed a beautiful province, I've actually visited all the places you've mentioned and I do intend to get out and do a bit of sight seeing/exploring while I'm up there

Make the ritual shopping spree at Big C, load up and head for the village. Have an open mind, take it for what it is and have have a good time. If nothing else I'm sure you'll find it a learning experience!

Trust me, every time I go see the in law's............It's always an experience!

Downside is.....It's never for free!

Yes you're right - sound advice, cheers

Been there. Done that.

Not as bad as you might think. Songkran away from places like BKK, Pattaya, etc is pretty fun.

Tell the folks you can't sleep without aircon. Works for me. Every time I go up country I stay at a hotel about 3 miles from their house. The wife actually likes it that way. As much as she loves her family, she enjoys being able to sleep in a nice bed, with air con, and having a decent shower as much as I do. :-)

• Like 2

Mossie nets for sleeping plus a fan, repellent for ankles feet and arms you can opt out of the driving around looking for

water fights.

Don't buy them lao khao if you buy one bottle they will get you take one glass then ask for more later, just buy lots of beer you can only drink so much of that whereas they seem to be able to drink lao khao until well and truly paralytic

• Like 1

Now let me make this point clear, the inlaws (and extended family) aren't bad people it's just that we have a completely different mindset and I know that it is inevitable that we will make the trip to Big C or Tesco Lotus with about 15 people huddled in the back of the pickup who will seemingly just come along for the ride - I didn't realise supermarkets were such an attraction!

What's there to do up there? Most of the folks who live out in the boonies sit around on straw mats, talk smack about the neighbors, and eat all day. Of course going to the supermarket is a big attraction. It's a break from the routine. :-)

• Like 1

mate I love songkran, I am out there with the kids and the big water pistols while getting buckets of ice water dumped on me along with the coloured goop spread on my face, people are simply brilliant and the friendliness of it makes me feel like a kid again. To be honest it is probably one of the best days in Thailand but having to do it in the boonies is a bit much. While I can handle no air con the squatters and mozzies would be too much for me, with a bad back those dunnies are near impossible and mozzies just love my blood, I would definitely be booking into the closest hotel for the nights and taking a few bottles of mozzie repellant. Overall it will probably be a great weekend, just be careful on the roads and try to drive before the drunks get on them or the day after, have a good one mate. I know I will.