Working and staying in bangkok

juicetin

Hi guys,

Just got an offer to be station in Bangkok, working in a shipping company. Which was one of my dream to be there as, I rejected a chance and offer 3 years back to be in another shipping company.

Was wondering, if any experiences dude here. Could advise how is the lifestyle in Bangkok nowadays and the standard living?

Main thing, I would like to know is the public transport there. Is it convenient? Or buying a car there is more advisable? Btw, I am from Singapore. A city with an expensive standard of living. Appreciate to hear, some good advises from those expats who had been here for a long time. Cheers and thanks in advance.

Quality of life is what you and your bank account make of it just about anywhere. There's plenty to do and plenty to see in and around Bangkok, much of it pretty cheap. Lots of places in weekend jaunt range, and getting there and back is easy on public transport if you don't own a car.

Traffic is obnoxious, so make sure you can plot a path between home and work on the BTS or MRT, or plan to spend a lot of time on hot, crowded buses, or in taxis. Good news- taxis are cheap. Bad news, there's reasons for that.

I've been working here for 3 years and like it fine. But I'm definitely not married to the place (or any of its women). I don't drink or chase women so a lot of the activities here don't appeal to me, but I still find plenty to do.

http://www.transitbangkok.com/bts.html

Edited by impulse

Quality of life is what you and your bank account make of it just about anywhere. There's plenty to do and plenty to see in and around Bangkok, much of it pretty cheap. Lots of places in weekend jaunt range, and getting there and back is easy on public transport if you don't own a car.

Traffic is obnoxious, so make sure you can plot a path between home and work on the BTS or MRT, or plan to spend a lot of time on hot, crowded buses, or in taxis. Good news- taxis are cheap. Bad news, there's reasons for that.

I've been working here for 3 years and like it fine. But I'm definitely not married to the place (or any of its women). I don't drink or chase women so a lot of the activities here don't appeal to me, but I still find plenty to do.

http://www.transitbangkok.com/bts.html

Thks a million for the reply and great info. Appreciate it.

Very cheap taxis which you will find everywhere (think New York yellow cabs) which are both cheap and air conditioned. For a longer cross city journey there is the BTS Skytrain which services a vast proportion of the city. Again if you are in an area which isn't served by the BTS just jump in a taxi and ask to be taken to the nearest BTS. The BTS is very cheap as well and has a wonderful air con which is very welcoming when you want to escape the humidity of the city. There is also the riverboat, a very inexpensive (if a little touristy) way of exploring Bangkok. The city itself is vast and so diverse that you can't get bored by seeing the same things. I have only been here about 5 weeks but love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by farang1979
  • Like 1

I lived in Bangkok 2 years and it was exiting at first but then really got me down.

I have lived in big cities before such as London and Hong Kong and thought Bangkok would be similar. it is, but there are many things to deal with.

I was constantly stopped and searched by the police for no reason (9 times) and all in the same district (Mid Sukhumvit). The motorcycle taxi drivers seem to think they have the right of way on the footpaths. There are rats in many areas running around, especially as locals dump their rubbish in plastic bags on street corners. There are some very nasty people in Bangkok and I could tell many stories about sexual assault, theft, abduction in a public taxi, verbal abuse, threatening behaviour etc.

Yes there is plenty to do (especially if you have a good budget) and its a 24 hour city but choose your location well.

Oh, and just to prove a point, a friend has just informed me that she was robbed at knifepoint last night (18 March)by 3 motorcyclists in Sathorn. And the police were their usual (un)helpful selves. Even sending her to a different police station as "they didn't deal with thefts at this police station".

Most of the people I know who live in Bangkok and are content, tend to live on the outskirts of the city. Consider that.

Juicetin,

Congrats on the job offer.

Living in Bangkok and the quality of your life depends on several things. What you expect and what you can afford are probably 2 of the main ones.

I've lived here for 5 years and came here after having lived in Hong Kong for 35 years. I've also had family living in Singapore for many years so I know it well too.

Rental costs are approx 1/4 to 1/6th of the cost of Hong Kong, so you may well be able to live in something much cheaper than you are used to in Singapore, or larger (or both). If your budget can extend to over 30,000 baht a month then you'll be able to live in a very nice condo. You can (depending where in BKK you want to live) find good condos for much less, it just depends what you want.

My first condo was 40,000 baht a month and because of the size (150 sqm) it was expensive to keep cool. I now live in a very good studio apartment with better facilities (pool and gym), close to the BTS (Bangkok's Skytrain) and I pay 8000 baht (315 SGD) a month..... so my advice is look for a good studio first and then perhaps upgrade if you really want (need) more space.

Are you a typical Singapore expat who enjoys drinking down Clarke Quay several nights a week? Or are you more of a quiet stay at home type person? Bangkok has abundant nightlife of all types, what type of place you frequent will depend on your income level and age..... When I first arrived here I was introduced to the beer bars where drinks are cheap, the staff are all bar girls and the other patrons were mostly older retired blokes..... I made some friends but ultimately that was so far from the scene I enjoyed in Hong Kong it got boring and I had no interest in bar girls... I now drink in bars which are just like the type you find in Clarke Quay or Hong Kong.... a vodka soda will run you between 250 baht to 350 baht (9.85 - 13.78 SGD) in those places, but you will be surrounded by beautiful, young people and the music will be better!

The other factor is where your office is going to be located, if you are lucky and its on the BTS (Skytrain) or MRT (underground) then you will not need to use taxis much or need a car. I live outside of the main heart of Bangkok, but I live next to a BTS station and my commute is only 20 mins. Being a bit outside of course keep my rent cheaper. The train journey is 40 baht each way (1.57 SGD)

Food here is affordable (even imported) simply because you and I being from Singapore and HK are used to much higher prices for imported things.

I hope that help, obviously I don't know what is important to you so if you have any questions feel free to PM me

Regards.

• Like 1

I lived in Bangkok 2 years and it was exiting at first but then really got me down.

I have lived in big cities before such as London and Hong Kong and thought Bangkok would be similar. it is, but there are many things to deal with.

I was constantly stopped and searched by the police for no reason (9 times) and all in the same district (Mid Sukhumvit). The motorcycle taxi drivers seem to think they have the right of way on the footpaths. There are rats in many areas running around, especially as locals dump their rubbish in plastic bags on street corners. There are some very nasty people in Bangkok and I could tell many stories about sexual assault, theft, abduction in a public taxi, verbal abuse, threatening behaviour etc.

Yes there is plenty to do (especially if you have a good budget) and its a 24 hour city but choose your location well.

Oh, and just to prove a point, a friend has just informed me that she was robbed at knifepoint last night (18 March)by 3 motorcyclists in Sathorn. And the police were their usual (un)helpful selves. Even sending her to a different police station as "they didn't deal with thefts at this police station".

Most of the people I know who live in Bangkok and are content, tend to live on the outskirts of the city. Consider that.

Your experiences are unfortunate.

In 5 years here I've only been stopped once by police and that was because I just came from a location rife with drugs that they were watching (and it was 3am)

I've had several reasons to need to deal with the police and they've always been helpful.

Motorbikes on the pavement are a pain but once you know they are there you just let them pass.... not that big a deal.

I refuse to use motorbikes as taxis for safety reasons and would prefer if they didn't exist... but until Bangkok gets a better bus system they are a necessary evil.

Bangkok, like any big city, does have its bad sides but I feel that unless you are very unlucky and not very street smart, it possible to never experience these things.

I'm surprised about your female friend though, then again I don't know Sathorn very well so maybe she was somewhere less safe.

All the other things you say you could tell stories about, well yes I've heard the stories too.... but never first hand and certainly never experienced anything like it myself in the 5 years I've lived here.

I guess everyone sees things differently.

I guess I should have expected people to discredit my post as another of "my friend told me".......... etc etc.

So, it never happened to you - so it obviously never happens (ed). Have I got news for you !

Just for your information; I took the phone call myself from the girl who was locked in a taxi being driven to the far outskirts of Bangkok, I was on the phone when the taxi driver hit her and told her to be quiet - but I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

I was walking (with the same girl) in Sathorn near Chong Nonsi BTS when a motorcycle on the pavement rode up next to us and stole her handbag, I gave chase, of course but lost them. But I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

I was walking together with her on Sukhumvit when a passing male grabbed her innaproriately as he walked past.

I was the one, yes me, myself who was stopped 9 times by the police in the 2 years i lived in Bangkok, always in the same district and even consulted a lawyer because it was getting ridiculous.

Are these "first hand" stories enough for you?

But maybe I am, as you said either not "street smart" or just very unlucky.

But then 'I guess everyone sees things differently' !

I just wanted to pass on my experiences 'first hand' and let people see beyond the 'rose tinted spectacles' - thinking maybe Bangkok is not always how it seems.

Perhaps when my friend has finished trying to replace her bank cards and ATM cards and get a new sim card this morning - I will ask if she is sure it really happened? or tell her maybe she was 'just unlucky' to be robbed at knifepoint last night is Sathorn. Bangkok is such a lovely calm and safe place - apparently !

I guess I should have expected people to discredit my post as another of "my friend told me".......... etc etc.

So, it never happened to you - so it obviously never happens (ed). Have I got news for you !

Just for your information; I took the phone call myself from the girl who was locked in a taxi being driven to the far outskirts of Bangkok, I was on the phone when the taxi driver hit her and told her to be quiet - but I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

I was walking (with the same girl) in Sathorn near Chong Nonsi BTS when a motorcycle on the pavement rode up next to us and stole her handbag, I gave chase, of course but lost them. But I don't need to prove myself to anyone.

I was walking together with her on Sukhumvit when a passing male grabbed her innaproriately as he walked past.

I was the one, yes me, myself who was stopped 9 times by the police in the 2 years i lived in Bangkok, always in the same district and even consulted a lawyer because it was getting ridiculous.

I just wanted to pass on my experiences 'first hand' and let people see beyond the 'rose tinted spectacles' - thinking maybe Bangkok is not always how it seems.

Perhaps when my friend has finished trying to replace her bank cards and ATM cards and get a new sim card this morning - I will ask if she is sure it really happened? or tell her maybe she was 'just unlucky' to be robbed at knifepoint last night is Sathorn. Bangkok is such a lovely calm and safe place - apparently !

Hey Udox, no need to get so defensive.... I didn't say I didn't believe you or that these things don't happen. I just said everyone has different experiences.

I have had many of these experiences first hand too, I just didn't think they needed to be put out there as if Bangkok should be judged by the occasional bad event.

I had a close friend who was shot in the head (dead obviously) by his ex Thai wife's brother because their mother told them to kill him for his money (the Police figured out it was them and arrested them within days).

I knew a woman who had her bag grabbed by a passing motorbike, she fell, hit her head and died a few days later from the injury...

And I said I've been stopped.

The things you mention do happen here that is without question. But getting grabbed inappropriately happens in Hong Kong too... and Singapore....

Bangkok is without doubt darker than HK or Singapore, but trying to paint a picture of it as being dangerous just seemed a bit unfair to the place.

Sorry if you thought I was disagreeing with you :-)

And just to add one further point.... I hated it here for the first couple years and couldn't wait to get home to Hong Kong.... now I like it here and although I fly to HK once a month, I'm no longer quite so desperate to return home.

Edited by seancbk

Well, standard of living is relative. Compared to Singapore, Bangkok seems a bit like the jungle... and not in a good way. If you're looking for something different and don't mind chaos, then you could enjoy Bangkok. Between Singapore and Bangkok, however, I would ALWAYS choose Singapore... No contest.

Of course, since you're from Singapore, coming to Bangkok is probably more interesting than staying home...

• Like 1

I've lived in Bangkok a total of about 2.5 years. Never once stopped by police on foot. One time leaving Patpong area with a mix of Thai and foreigner friends, a police stop made us get out of the taxi and we all got patted down. Nothing was found of course. Our Thai friends were incensed. None of us "contributed".

For a young working person, it's a big exciting city, with so many lifestyle possibilities. So good luck, OP.

For me though, the relentless traffic, construction and general noise, sewer stink, rat and cockroach attacks, intense street activity and sidewalk drama, sheer unattractiveness (to be kind) of city architecture and and lack of places to sit and enjoy nature dragged me down. There never seems to be any relief from "doing business". To each his/her own though.

I will note nearly all my friends in BKK live midtown or farther out, i.e., far from the bright lights. I'm two hours outside but within easy reach of the airport and Bangkok proper.

• Like 1

Bangkok is maybe the most dreadful city I have ever spent time in. Its filthy, expensive for anything not crap, the traffic is beyond frightful and getting anywhere even within close proximity is a nightmare. And the food is mostly awful unless you (you guessed it) want to spend ungodly amounts of money. The prostitutes and abusive drinking scene are top notch however.

Thank you for that.

I was trying to emphasise that yes Bangkok has it's good side, but equally has a bad side and can be quite stressful - depending on where you live/work.

Getting refused countless taxi's because they don't want to take you for whatever reason, waiting for 2 or 3 BTS trains to pass before you find one that has room on it and you are late for work, getting stopped when walking or driving for no apparent reason, finding that your nostrills or ears are full of black dust you are ingesting, trying to walk behind people who have a phone glued to their ear or sending messages and are incapable of walking in a straight line. All quite apart from the criminal side mentioned previously.

But then there were Sunday afternoons in Lumpini park, listening to Bangkok Philharmonic at the bandstand, there were ferry trips up the river for just a few baht, watching the world go by, there was the vibrancy of Chinatown, the hope of a bargain in Chatuchak market at the weekends. Yes Bangkok has a good and a bad side.

Is it a darker side than HK? - well I have lived several years there too and rarely witnessed any (petty) incidents (which doesn't mean it doesn't happen) but there was plenty of 'organised crime' - although I only ventured once into the walled city behind the airport, that was scary.

If I had one recommendation to people coming to live in Bangkok - I would suggest they don't stay in the centre of town (and be careful walking around Sathorn) !!

• Like 1

My question is, what does Bangkok have to offer besides cheap prostitutes and cheap booze? The architecture and look of the city are hideous, there is no fine arts district or local symphony which most every major city has, there are almost no parks, it smells everywhere and everything looks exactly the same no matter what neighborhood you are in. After 7 years of living in Thailand I have tried to think of a single redeeming quality Bangkok has but I can't name one. Why any Westerner lives there who is not a sex addict, alcoholic or married to a Thai and forced to stay there is beyond me.

I can speak from experience, having lived in Singapore for 14 years as an expat, then moving to Bangkok several months ago. During my time in Singapore, I was a regular visitor here, so I was already familiar with the positives and negatives vs S'pore.

Your question was about the standard of living here in BKK, but I have found that most of my Singaporean friends use the term "standard of living" when they really mean "cost of living". These are very different things. For example, you can live VERY cheaply in BKK if you wish, but I would personally never do that, and would find it an extremely depressing life.

I choose to live in the dead center of the city, right next to a BTS station and a very short stroll to Central World and Siam Square/Paragon. This is the most expensive area of BKK, but in my opinion, easily the best and the only area I would consider living. It has green space, next to Bangkok Sports Club, with a nice view. Walking, driving, and BTS are all options, and I have regularly done all three. Most other areas of BKK are absolutely NOT walkable. The one downside of the area is the proximity to the protests, but fortunately the protests in the vicinity are now concentrated at Lumpini Park, which has actually improved the traffic situation in my neighborhood.

As for cost of living, my basis for comparison is the Orchard Rd area of Singapore. I lived immediately next to Paragon and Ngee Ann City, so it was a costly area, but is a fair comparison to the Ratchaprosong area I live now.

The rental cost for my condo here is about 60% of that in Singapore, for a similar, very high-end complex with about the same 1000+ sqft space. Yes, you could live far cheaper, but not in the same style. If you want to live very well here, as anywhere, you have to pay. If you lived in an HDB in Singapore, perhaps you will be satisfied with more modest accommodation in BKK, and in that case the costs should be far lower. Even older buildings in my my neighborhood would be much cheaper, but I decided not to compromise my standards, so my building is attached to a high-end hotel and can make use of its services.

As for cars, the cost will be probably 1/3 the amount in Singapore, and in my opinion it is worth having here even if you don't use it every day. Taxis here are cheap, but poor quality, unsafe, smelly, and usually have drivers that speak zero English. Many (certainly not all) will also attempt to scam you on a regular basis. Driving here can be messy, but I would much rather be stuck in a jam in my own car (in my case currently a rental, utilizing GPS) rather than a crappy BKK taxi.

Regarding food, I find supermarkets here expensive, and in fact many imported items will be even more expensive than Singapore. I shopped at Paragon (and cold Storage in S'pore) both places, so it's a valid comparison. Prices tend to be largely fixed, so even if you try to save by going to Big C or elsewhere, the minor savings aren't worth the much worse customer experience, IMO.

Most other areas of central BKK would not be attractive to me, especially the craphole that is Sukhumvit and the embarrassing and depressing expat ghetto there, but to each his own. I love city life, but for those that prefer suburban life, there are some nice areas on the outskirts (I like the Bangna area, for example, and drive to the mega-mall there on occasion).

So, bottom line is that it really depends on what you are looking for here. Proximity to work may also be important to you, and that may limit your options, since long daily commutes cannot be recommended unless both your home and your workplace are very near BTS stations (for me, I would not live more than 5 minutes from a BTS, the heat can be stifling and the walk like a dangerous video game).

There are many interesting restaurants here, and I like the choices better than Singapore. In particular, there are many rooftop venues that are very pleasant and sophisticated. They are less expensive than Singapore, but by no means cheap.

Good luck, and don't be scared off by the stories of rats and danger here -- the biggest rats I have ever seen were patrolling the void deck of an HDB estate in Singapore, and I have never felt unsafe here (although nothing is as safe as S'pore).

I say take the opportunity to move here, you should enjoy it if you have the right attitude and are open to adventure. Ignore the jaded souls that tell you how horrible it is.

EDIT: P.S., also ignore the comments that it is only for sex tourists. this is nonsense. I have no interest in such activity, and in fact have never had even the slightest interest in dating Thai women, they are just not for me. Live in the right area, and you will almost never see the obese, smelly, singlet/wifebeater-wearing lowlifes that you see in the sex districts and budget areas. You will also very rarely see the infamous katoeys (ladyboys) in my neighborhood, so will need to go elsewhere if your interests go that direction.

Edited by eppic

Spend some time in the On Nut BTS (Skytrain) Station area. Walk around and get a feel of the place. I've lived there for a couple of years and feel right at home. Regardless of where you choose to live in BKK, I would suggest it be within walking distance of a BTS/MRT Station.

Took me a while to reply to eppic's post. Had to light a Krung Tip, shove the bottles off the keyboard, send my girl (can't remember her name) out for some more 7-11 dinners and hang the Chang singlet on the rusty balcony railing. LOL

You do need to get out more, eppic and taste Sukhumvit. Some of the finest restaurants, shopping and executive condos are strung along Suk. My friends are oil and shipping engineers, property developers in Southeast Asia, UN business consultants, house designers, lubricant distributors, steel manufacturers, brand name hotel managers, jazz musicians and the like. We meet regularly in a Sukhumvit pub. They all dress well, are well behaved, make good money, have wives and girlfriends. Not unlike many expats in Bangkok. What you were describing is some trumped up vision of Pattaya. I might give you part of that description.

A car? What would you need a multi-million baht car for unless you want to show off like the Thais or you regularly plan to get out of town -- not a bad idea. BKK has got cheap taxis and public transit overhead and underground. I've found taxis to be good here and I've found the drivers, with few exceptions, to be decent, polite and knowledgeable.

I do agree that supermarkets are stupidly expensive here but that's partly because of all the expat workers here on western salaries who just throw down baht without objecting to the prices. I agree also that Bang Na looks like a decent place to live.

But as I posted earlier, I find BKK too intense for me.

• Like 1

Very cheap taxis which you will find everywhere (think New York yellow cabs) which are both cheap and air conditioned. For a longer cross city journey there is the BTS Skytrain which services a vast proportion of the city. Again if you are in an area which isn't served by the BTS just jump in a taxi and ask to be taken to the nearest BTS. The BTS is very cheap as well and has a wonderful air con which is very welcoming when you want to escape the humidity of the city. There is also the riverboat, a very inexpensive (if a little touristy) way of exploring Bangkok. The city itself is vast and so diverse that you can't get bored by seeing the same things. I have only been here about 5 weeks but love it.

Thks, very likely I would be staying around the shukumvit area as it would be near my office.

Thks, very likely I would be staying around the shukumvit area as it would be near my office.

Probably already mentioned in previous posts but BTS stations are Phloen Chit, Nana and Asok. If you turn right after Asok BTS and continue down that road...on the right hand side is Benjakiti Park. Check it out :)

Juicetin,

Living in Bangkok and the quality of your life depends on several things. What you expect and what you can afford are probably 2 of the main ones.

I've lived here for 5 years and came here after having lived in Hong Kong for 35 years. I've also had family living in Singapore for many years so I know it well too.

Rental costs are approx 1/4 to 1/6th of the cost of Hong Kong, so you may well be able to live in something much cheaper than you are used to in Singapore, or larger (or both). If your budget can extend to over 30,000 baht a month then you'll be able to live in a very nice condo. You can (depending where in BKK you want to live) find good condos for much less, it just depends what you want.

My first condo was 40,000 baht a month and because of the size (150 sqm) it was expensive to keep cool. I now live in a very good studio apartment with better facilities (pool and gym), close to the BTS (Bangkok's Skytrain) and I pay 8000 baht (315 SGD) a month..... so my advice is look for a good studio first and then perhaps upgrade if you really want (need) more space.

Are you a typical Singapore expat who enjoys drinking down Clarke Quay several nights a week? Or are you more of a quiet stay at home type person? Bangkok has abundant nightlife of all types, what type of place you frequent will depend on your income level and age..... When I first arrived here I was introduced to the beer bars where drinks are cheap, the staff are all bar girls and the other patrons were mostly older retired blokes..... I made some friends but ultimately that was so far from the scene I enjoyed in Hong Kong it got boring and I had no interest in bar girls... I now drink in bars which are just like the type you find in Clarke Quay or Hong Kong.... a vodka soda will run you between 250 baht to 350 baht (9.85 - 13.78 SGD) in those places, but you will be surrounded by beautiful, young people and the music will be better!

The other factor is where your office is going to be located, if you are lucky and its on the BTS (Skytrain) or MRT (underground) then you will not need to use taxis much or need a car. I live outside of the main heart of Bangkok, but I live next to a BTS station and my commute is only 20 mins. Being a bit outside of course keep my rent cheaper. The train journey is 40 baht each way (1.57 SGD)

Food here is affordable (even imported) simply because you and I being from Singapore and HK are used to much higher prices for imported things.

I hope that help, obviously I don't know what is important to you so if you have any questions feel free to PM me

Regards.

Hey mate,

First of all, thks vm for the info you provided. It, was definitely very useful and sufficient for me to understand more about, what is going to be like an expat in Bangkok. Well, the first thing is that, the standard of living was way more lower compare to my country Singapore. Which is a good thing, secondly, it seems the housing there is even much more lower. Anycase, believed you do know. None could get a studio/condo apartment in Singapore for the price of 300+ sgd a month. Not to even mention getting a room in one of those normal hdb flats (government owned) in Singapore.

Anyway, shall pm me you for more info if needed. appreciate it.

Well, standard of living is relative. Compared to Singapore, Bangkok seems a bit like the jungle... and not in a good way. If you're looking for something different and don't mind chaos, then you could enjoy Bangkok. Between Singapore and Bangkok, however, I would ALWAYS choose Singapore... No contest.

Of course, since you're from Singapore, coming to Bangkok is probably more interesting than staying home...

Hi dtox,

Thanks. Yup, jackpot! Nothing ever beats the boringness anyone could obtain from Singapore. No offence but, this is how bad it is in Singapore. If you were to ask me, the standard of living gets higher. Well, ofc you do enjoy the high lifestyle of the country itself and the wonderful casinos and nightlife of the city. However, soon all this would get over you. As Singapore is merely that small! ;)

Anyway, thks for the reply.

I can speak from experience, having lived in Singapore for 14 years as an expat, then moving to Bangkok several months ago. During my time in Singapore, I was a regular visitor here, so I was already familiar with the positives and negatives vs S'pore.

Your question was about the standard of living here in BKK, but I have found that most of my Singaporean friends use the term "standard of living" when they really mean "cost of living". These are very different things. For example, you can live VERY cheaply in BKK if you wish, but I would personally never do that, and would find it an extremely depressing life.

I choose to live in the dead center of the city, right next to a BTS station and a very short stroll to Central World and Siam Square/Paragon. This is the most expensive area of BKK, but in my opinion, easily the best and the only area I would consider living. It has green space, next to Bangkok Sports Club, with a nice view. Walking, driving, and BTS are all options, and I have regularly done all three. Most other areas of BKK are absolutely NOT walkable. The one downside of the area is the proximity to the protests, but fortunately the protests in the vicinity are now concentrated at Lumpini Park, which has actually improved the traffic situation in my neighborhood.

As for cost of living, my basis for comparison is the Orchard Rd area of Singapore. I lived immediately next to Paragon and Ngee Ann City, so it was a costly area, but is a fair comparison to the Ratchaprosong area I live now.

The rental cost for my condo here is about 60% of that in Singapore, for a similar, very high-end complex with about the same 1000+ sqft space. Yes, you could live far cheaper, but not in the same style. If you want to live very well here, as anywhere, you have to pay. If you lived in an HDB in Singapore, perhaps you will be satisfied with more modest accommodation in BKK, and in that case the costs should be far lower. Even older buildings in my my neighborhood would be much cheaper, but I decided not to compromise my standards, so my building is attached to a high-end hotel and can make use of its services.

As for cars, the cost will be probably 1/3 the amount in Singapore, and in my opinion it is worth having here even if you don't use it every day. Taxis here are cheap, but poor quality, unsafe, smelly, and usually have drivers that speak zero English. Many (certainly not all) will also attempt to scam you on a regular basis. Driving here can be messy, but I would much rather be stuck in a jam in my own car (in my case currently a rental, utilizing GPS) rather than a crappy BKK taxi.

Regarding food, I find supermarkets here expensive, and in fact many imported items will be even more expensive than Singapore. I shopped at Paragon (and cold Storage in S'pore) both places, so it's a valid comparison. Prices tend to be largely fixed, so even if you try to save by going to Big C or elsewhere, the minor savings aren't worth the much worse customer experience, IMO.

Most other areas of central BKK would not be attractive to me, especially the craphole that is Sukhumvit and the embarrassing and depressing expat ghetto there, but to each his own. I love city life, but for those that prefer suburban life, there are some nice areas on the outskirts (I like the Bangna area, for example, and drive to the mega-mall there on occasion).

So, bottom line is that it really depends on what you are looking for here. Proximity to work may also be important to you, and that may limit your options, since long daily commutes cannot be recommended unless both your home and your workplace are very near BTS stations (for me, I would not live more than 5 minutes from a BTS, the heat can be stifling and the walk like a dangerous video game).

There are many interesting restaurants here, and I like the choices better than Singapore. In particular, there are many rooftop venues that are very pleasant and sophisticated. They are less expensive than Singapore, but by no means cheap.

Good luck, and don't be scared off by the stories of rats and danger here -- the biggest rats I have ever seen were patrolling the void deck of an HDB estate in Singapore, and I have never felt unsafe here (although nothing is as safe as S'pore).

I say take the opportunity to move here, you should enjoy it if you have the right attitude and are open to adventure. Ignore the jaded souls that tell you how horrible it is.

EDIT: P.S., also ignore the comments that it is only for sex tourists. this is nonsense. I have no interest in such activity, and in fact have never had even the slightest interest in dating Thai women, they are just not for me. Live in the right area, and you will almost never see the obese, smelly, singlet/wifebeater-wearing lowlifes that you see in the sex districts and budget areas. You will also very rarely see the infamous katoeys (ladyboys) in my neighborhood, so will need to go elsewhere if your interests go that direction.

Hey,

Thanks a lot men, you had given me the full aspect of comparison between Singapore and Bangkok. It, had now given me more confidence and understanding to be station there in Bangkok.

Deeply appreciate the great info and help. Cheers

Juicetin,

Regards.

Hey mate,

First of all, thks vm for the info you provided. It, was definitely very useful and sufficient for me to understand more about, what is going to be like an expat in Bangkok. Well, the first thing is that, the standard of living was way more lower compare to my country Singapore. Which is a good thing, secondly, it seems the housing there is even much more lower. Anycase, believed you do know. None could get a studio/condo apartment in Singapore for the price of 300+ sgd a month. Not to even mention getting a room in one of those normal hdb flats (government owned) in Singapore.

Anyway, shall pm me you for more info if needed. appreciate it.

You are very welcome.

One of the other respondents (eppic) raised the issue of living in style.... He is right in that if you want to live in one of the premium buildings and in the heart of town then you will pay a lot more, but it comes down to what you want out of your place and how much cash you are willing and able to pour into it. As I said my first condo (5 years ago) was 150 sq/m and cost 40,000 baht a month, plus the size added to the cost of electricity and cleaning etc. But I knew no better and coming from HK where I'd been paying the same for 30 sq/m I though it was a serious bargain.

After a year here I realised I didn't need a big place, however my studio is very well equipped, easy to keep clean and has an awesome pool (average gym), it also has a proper decent kitchen (which most studios don't) which was very important to me as I like to cook at home. It is less than 60 secs walk to a BTS station that gets me to Asoke in 15-20 mins. The neighbourhood is great and there are numerous large shopping malls all within a short taxi ride.

I'd rather live here and pay what I do now, than be paying significantly more for rooms I don't need and a premium just because the building is a bit newer. Of course I also understand why people like the more expensive places, I've lived in both and at this point in time the cheaper option suits me.

Please bear in mind that advice is totally subjective, I grew up in Hong Kong, so I'm a total city boy and therefore love the hustle and bustle of a big city, pollution, traffic, crowds etc I love spicy food and although I rarely eat on the streets that isn't because I don't want to but more because I don't have anyone to eat with.... Some people have said you can't walk in parts of Bangkok, which is crazy talk... I walk everywhere unless I can take the BTS or MRT or a Taxi (car).

Then again I'm young for my age, not overweight and I don't mind the heat and humidity. I know people who having come from Europe can barely spend 5 minutes outside before they are sweating profusely and complaining its too hot!! And that is without exerting themselves!

Anyway, you did mention you've been here a few times so you know what Bangkok looks, feels and smells like. You are used to Singapore's humidity so you won't mind Bangkok's.

Get a grip. I have never been treated so well in a country over the last year in BKK. I have, however, come across farangs who don't think twice about conveying their inflated sense of self-entitlement and the degrading, stereotypical tropes of Thais/Asians they refuse to let go of. Not only is it evident when they are vocal, but also in their body language—when walking along the street, waiting in queues, etc. A recent favorite was seeing a very large farang inappropriately clinging onto a motorbike taxi rider (using both arms in what could only be described as an "intimate embrace"), and it was abundantly clear that the rider was not pleased about it at all.

Anyway, I obviously know nothing because your experience is the final word on the matter. I hope your circumstances have improved somewhat.

• Like 1