Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

Its lite hearted racism. The man has been doing it all his career. I wonder what he thinks of the french

I think his term for our cousins from across the Channel is " Garlic munchers", so I'm guessing he's not keen unless it's an affectionate nickname.

SDM

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he thinks of the French? He probably has a second home down here somewhere, like so many other Brits. ( Tony Blair has one near to where I live.) But as no one has ever seen his programme or knows his name, he is safe from being lynched. Anyway most people would think it funny being called a 'garlic muncher'.

Slope is a name for the hat, I think it was very very funny . I am fedup with the Robinsons Jam brigade. ( golly <deleted> )

This thread and the orther seem to have degenerated into a gainsaying match between thtose who understand racism and those who just can't get off the ground.

I feel frustrated but more so sorry for them as there is no hope for them; their condition is self-inflicted; they suffer the fear and paranoia of people who live in a world where they are completely out of step;. They are so out of touch, they are coming up with statements tat haven't held water for 50 years, my guess is they are probably either very old or uneducated or both.

Wow, you are completely patronising. I am subjected to (apparently) racist remarks daily, and do not care. Perhaps you should find a cause more worthy of your obvious intelligence and youthful outlook. Your kind of confrontational rationalism does more to harm any cause than help it.

As I have already said. Being introduced to Asia as a 20 year old,I was told it was ---------------- I was most disapionted to find that it had a slope.

" I am subjected to (apparently) racist remarks daily, and do not care" - what astounds me is you don't realise how fail and irrelevant this remark is. Just because you don't "care" about racism on personal scale doesn't justify its deliberate use on a nation TV show that is shown worldwide.

Take a look at the top ten ways to IDS a racist I posted earlier.

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

Likewise. Worked and lived with Asians for over 20 years, from 10 Asian countries. Never heard it. Must be some sinister British inside joke.

..or maybe just a lack of general knowledge on your part? Anyone who reads or is exposed to C20th American culture would be aware of this word. Just because you personally haven't heard it doesn't justify its use as a racist term....... it is unlikely o course that Asians would use the term to describe themselves in day to day conversation....if however you experience includes working with"western" expats then they seem to have been to polite to use the term in front of you.

Edited by wilcopops

Nobody in their right mind ever suggested it was anything else. The issue in fact is whether or not racist remarks are acceptable. If you are racist you might think they are.

Methinks you protest TO much coffee1.gif

In a statement, Wilman said: "When we used the word "slope" in the recent Top Gear Burma special it was a light-hearted wordplay joke referencing both the build quality of the bridge and the local Asian man who was crossing it.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/apr/23/top-gear-regrets-offensive-remark-jeremy-clarkson

So there you go, from the producer himself - it was intentional wordplay referencing the race of the man on the bridge.

And on that note, can we please put this post to bed and move on zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

Likewise. Worked and lived with Asians for over 20 years, from 10 Asian countries. Never heard it. Must be some sinister British inside joke.

..or maybe just a lack of general knowledge on your part? Anyone who reads or is exposed to C20th American culture would be aware of this word. Just because you personally haven't heard it doesn't justify its use as a racist term....... it is unlikely o course that Asians would use the term to describe themselves in day to day conversation....if however you experience includes working with"western" expats then they seem to have been to polite to use the term in front of you.

And on that bomb shell....goodnight

Here we go again,,, I happen to be married to a slope.

As I have said before i am fed up with this robinsons- jam brigade why dont you all just go out and get a life?

I'm sick of racists personally, but in everybody's interest wish they could indeed have some kind of 'safe' place to go, a place where they are free to fester collectively in their singlets, guffawing at hilarious reruns of alf garnett and chubby brown on the telly without having to face the harsh day to day reality of modern multicultural life and it's limitations regarding the use of derogatory race oriented nicknames.

It's really a win-win.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

The fact that many are still unhappy to have vast numbers of people from a different culture ,imposed in their communities,regardless of the left wing propaganda they are bombarded with daily,

speaks volumes for the fact that they feel they think/live differently from these people .

I would be ok[not content or happy] with people from another culture to buy/rent a home in my countryy with their own money brought in from ouside Britain.

I am not happy when these same people deliberately arrive to abuse the welfare state .live permanently on taxpayers money and ,worse still are given the right to vote.

You cannot compare those of us that live in Thailand with those that arrive ,deliberately passing through many other countries, in Britain.

I am reminded of a story in the newspapers about a

Syrian whose '.5 eldest sons were taken away by force'......

My thoughts are..'How many other sons does he have?How many daughters ?...What sort of work could such a person from what is obviously a 'large family culture',do in Britain that would earn him enough money that could give him a better lifestyle than he would get by being unemployed?

What housing would he NEED to live a life in Britain which would staisfy those that believe in his 'human rights' to reproduce as often as he can...Not necessarily with the same 'wife'?

I do not WANT to be told I must accept this sort of family in my home country for which many of my ancestors died trying not to become part of another culture.

As I have said before i am fed up with this robinsons- jam brigade why dont you all just go out and get a life?

I'm sick of racists personally, but in everybody's interest wish they could indeed have some kind of 'safe' place to go, a place where they are free to fester collectively in their singlets, guffawing at hilarious reruns of alf garnett and chubby brown on the telly without having to face the harsh day to day reality of modern multicultural life and it's limitations regarding the use of derogatory race oriented nicknames.

It's really a win-win.

Supreme commander of the TV PC men in black fast reaction force ?

It's really a win-win.

Supreme commander of the TV PC men in black fast reaction force ?

Not really, I just find racism dressed up in anti-PC rhetoric distasteful and a mark of backward, scapegoating idiocy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would someone from India be offended by the word Slope?

She should be laughed out of court and be made to cook a curry for Jeremy Clarkson on his show.

Who the **** is she to be demanding that this fantastic British show be taken off the air!

I can't stand people like this !!!!

I'm pretty sure he will make up some joke about her on one of the future episodes.

And on that note does anyone know when they will be racing the new McLaren P1 against the Porsche 918 ? As a Porsche fan I'm hoping the 918 creams the P1 and Clarkson is forced to change his name to Jennifer as promised. He did eat his hair so I'm sure he will do it. Jennifer Clarkson.....it does have a ring to it.

SDM

Quite correct, though your assumption that American history should be general knowledge is a bit baffling

I was going to reply to another post but decided to do something more interesting instead. One final comment from me. In the west our philosophy is more about self than the collective, and here we see this personified. All of our arguments focus on our own opinions and not on that of the person who matters. We also define Clarkson's statement as being detrimental to the person or race, when somebody from Thailand or Vietnam would take the Eastern view that every thing should be taken in the overall context and not to focus on the central figure. Life will go on, things will change and our views will become part of the universal picture. All in all we can argue (again against Thai and Vietnamese philosophy) all day and all it will do is cause negative feeling in the cosmos. Light and shade people, we make each other complete...................................................... This was not the more interesting thingcheesy.gif

Okay, so we've had the media and public outrage about Jeremy Clarkson using the n word. Is it okay if we have the SAME media and public outrage about Jeremy Clarkson using the word 'slope' ??

Basically, I think it's wrong that taking the piss out of 'black people' is condemned, but taking the piss out of 'Asians' is harmless fun.
Most of 'us' have got girlfriends/wives that are 'Asian', and surely, we feel that there should be consistency. We've got to hit slurs against Asians just as hard as we hit slurs against black people.

I don't think the N-word gaffe would have even seen daylight had it not been for the slope comment that actually was broadcast a few weeks earlier.

I knew he'd eventually cop it for letting that one out. Westerners are not allowed much wiggle room these days. Enforced only by westerners of course. The rest of the world doesn't give a crap.

Edited by canuckamuck

Isn't there another N word gaff here because everyone (including Jezza) is referring to it as a racial slur (maybe in a perverse way for his own shows publicity) - when it could easily have been explained away as the other version of the child's rhyme that even I used as a kid with that other PC correct N word (nipper!). You cannot tell whether Jezza is saying nipper or not as he mumbles the lot, but he didn't try to explain out of it that way for some reason.

Having a multi million dollar franchise held up by a slurred N word leaked by the gutter press, and discussing in a Thai news forum as well seems to be wasting everyone's time. 'nuff said I'm not opening this waste of thread again.

Clarkson needs to rethink his attitudes and behaviour...........the Beeb has a problem as they don't want to get rid of a cash-cow..

however..... this kind of language is damaging because it panders to a lingering prejudice in British society, 'bout time he got disciplined.

I don't think the N-word gaffe would have even seen daylight had it not been for the slope comment that actually was broadcast a few weeks earlier.

I knew he'd eventually cop it for letting that one out. Westerners are not allowed much wiggle room these days. Enforced only by westerners of course. The rest of the world doesn't give a crap.

The rest of the world doesn't give a crap. - not true; many people (like many on this thread) are ignorant of how racism works and so it seems to exist in cultures that in reality have experienced or are experiencing racism themselves in their daily life.

Edited by wilcopops

The rest of the world doesn't give a crap. - not true; many people (like many on this thread) are ignorant of how racism works and so it seems to exist in cultures that in reality have experienced or are experiencing racism themselves in their daily life.

Absolutely.

Being called 'farang' or 'bird shit' and being price gouged just because of your race is not very nice. sad.png

Absolutely.

Being called 'farang' or 'bird shit' and being price gouged just because of your race is not very nice. sad.png

Absolutely.

ferang khe nok means no money ? But you are 100% correct I have never heard of over charging in the uk. because of race. so there we have it, this is all a load of cxxp

But the PC clowns, have a lot to answer for.

Absolutely.

ferang khe nok means no money ? But you are 100% correct I have never heard of over charging in the uk. because of race. so there we have it, this is all a load of cxxp

This argument only shows that the poster doesn't understand the workings of racism and thinks that the argument "they are racists too" somehow validates racism by themselves.

Absolutely.

This argument only shows that the poster doesn't understand the workings of racism and thinks that the argument "they are racists too" somehow validates racism by themselves.

This argument shows some posters think they have the monopoly on what is right and wrong and after countless postings on the same subject still cannot convince anyone but themselves.

his wife is divorcing him now and he earns 14 million a year ,so not bad dosh

EXCLUSIVE: Jeremy Clarkson's wife to divorce him after 21 years of marriage' - with a celebration holiday in Majorca

• Relationship under strain following reports of alleged affairs
  • Jeremy and Frances have been living apart for three years
  • But the couple were pictured together two months ago
  • Source close to Clarkson, 54, denied he had divorced
  • Last year he reportedly earned £14million from Top Gear

By Sam Marsden and Alison Boshoff and Sara Smyth

************************************************************************************
mind you the rayban wearing monk earns more than jezza but nobody knows how he does it
Edited by 3NUMBAS