Are thai people the most illogical people you have ever met?

advancebooking

All of your personal examples show nothing of the kind.

- the like shop owner was within his rights not to have wear and tear put in a bike which he has no guarantee of being bought, apart from an idiot flashing cash about implying he would.

- the bus driver was playing it safe. And he gets criticised for it?

- as for the campers, you were in a public place, in which case, they are within their rights to camp there too. But I guess they met you, and hightailed it.....which judging by your post, sounds like a perfectly logical thing to do.

Illogical replies.

• Like 2

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just giggling. I can see merit in all the comments on here. In fact, most days I see or hear something from Thais that astounds me. However, I CHOSE to live here so accept it and more often than not these days, I just end up with a smile on my face. Bless em...!!!

Hanging with some "first Australians" camping out in the bush around when Ayer's Rock was handed over.

Now there were some illogical fellas.

Actually once you got to know the score, there was a version of logic there, but it wasn't western.

Same applies to the Thais, it does start to make sense once you understand their priorities don't match ours.

So then they must not want all the western things right ?

They want everything western including men whether they are married or not. Yes the are illogical

I gotta agree with a few of the replys here that your examples aren't really straight up illogic. Illogic to me is more like "I don't have time to send an email; just teach me how to use this fax machine." Which, btw, is a true story from back when I was working for a US government agency.

But yeah, they do seem to be fairly illogical here. I sense most of that comes from the high degree of face culture and the inability to be straightforward about matters.

Edited by eldragon
  • Like 2

Ok, I don't know if it is a lack of logic or just plain selfishness.

This morning while driving, an ambulance passed with lights flashing and siren blaring...definitely an emergency. The ambulance arrives at the Asok intersection where we had a red light. The ambulance moved all the way to the middle of the intersection and tried to go through the traffic going perpendicular to us but nobody would stop for a second to let him pass through. So, there he sat while car after car kept going. The ambulance was finally able to go once the other lanes got a red light.

I guess the real emergency was whether the other drivers would be one minute later for work.

Unfortunately, the BiB would do nothing.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The English government are far more illogical than any Thai person I have met.

You should try Ireland! biggrin.png

Speaking of Governments, - Russian is the most logical and a great stickler for legality, but don't try to try them! biggrin.png

The best reply is to be worst than them.

I love to be a troublesome person who do things that annoy them but I always smile and pretend to be dumb, just as them, except that they don't do it by intention !

I bet when you are acting dumb you are pretty convincing.

What you are actually saying is that all Thai people are stupid and are of low intelligence, You`re a racist and categorising certain ethnic nationalities as having particular traits.

Just another Thai bashing thread, by a load arrogant racists and bigots who consider themselves superior to everyone else.

• Like 1

Illogical is a good word. There are other words like stupid but not appropriate to say nor would we agree on the definition. I prefer to say that there seems to be the lack of desire to think through problems other than playing cards.

Many people (not just Thailand) just don’t want to ‘think’ especially when it comes to problem solving.

When the missing 777 became a huge problem wouldn’t you think every nation would be all over their radar – even 6 hours away? It was their duty to do so but should have done it just out of curiosity (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc should have taken a look).

The plane is logically in Indonesia at the northern part of a very isolated part of the country. Isn’t it logical that the plane over the Strait was descending to land? It is probably true the fisherman saw the plane at low altitude ready to land. They reported it to the police. Again, Indonesia mentality set it. They did nothing. Finally, someone hear them and investigated.

Do you know that the bicycle-shop next door is from the same owner ?

That bus drivers are forbidden to open door because so many accidents happened with passengers stepping in front of a speeding motorcycle ,or open the side

luggage doors to take their suitcase and leave the door open ?

that camping in a national park can be dangerous,you better put your tents close for protection .

Do you understand why Thais think why you are not logic???? coffee1.gif

• Like 2

We are guests so we are the illogical ones.

When they are our guests, they are the illogical ones.

This has helped me all over the world, nobody is better or worse, we are just different. Thinking that way made a lot of things easier. Westerners tend to display arrogance a bit faster which makes the difference more obvious..

• Like 2

I have worked in Asia and the Middle East for 30 years. i can assure you there are many other places that will give Thailand a good run for the money for the prize of "Most Illogical".

- the like shop owner was within his rights not to have wear and tear put in a bike which he has no guarantee of being bought, apart from an idiot flashing cash about implying he would.

- as for the campers, you were in a public place, in which case, they are within their rights to camp there too. But I guess they met you, and hightailed it.....which judging by your post, sounds like a perfectly logical thing to do.

This is much more logical than the OP's bizarre rant.

OP,

the answer is NO. It's not just a Thai thing to be illogical (by our standards). Having been in Asia for the last 10 years I see this in EVERY asian culture.

Free independent thought is generally frowned upon so thinking outside the box is not practiced (generally speaking - there are exceptions to the rule of course).

This is much more logical than the OP's bizarre rant.

Explain why please, dear Berkshire ?

• Like 1

Not illogical...just a different logic. Judgment and labeling will only continue to keep farang and Thais separate.

My response to the radar, missing plane was an angry one.

I know Thais do a lot for each other. It's a matter of survival since there are no social programs here. But what confuses me is this.

After that last, great tsunami the world reached out, provided cash, volunteers to help rebuild. Farang come, on their own dime, to teach English to Thai students...all at personal cost. They do it because they care and want (I suspect) to live in a world without borders. Still we are not welcome and when the opportunity comes to help non-Thais..."we were not paying attention" to the radar.

Quoting Ricky Ricardo, "esplain to me Lucy".

• Like 1