Battle Royal - The Patong Showdown

eezergood

Ok in the vein, as is de rigueur these days, of most national newspapers I start with a sensational headline! WHat do you think about the Mayoral vote? CandidateS? and do you think there can be a changing of the guard? Or ladies & gents, I put it to you, that the blockades could come again & prevent this local election. If only someone had some power over the Tuk Tuks........

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to blockade, also in the past when Keesin lost there was no blockade.

I really hope she wins, if only for the chance that something may change. With Keesin back we know his and his family's only interest is to keep things as they are. And she seems to have enough local power to be able to win.

Her list resonates quite well to what has been written here on TV.

She said that she will be running on a platform aimed at addressing five main problems in Patong:

• Occupation of public spaces by groups looking to make a profit;
  • Environmental degradation and failure to maintain facilities;
  • Flooding every time rain coincides with a high tide;
  • Traffic problems including constantly repeating accidents; and
  • Influential people and “mafia” activities.

Souse: http://www.thephuketnews.com/ex-mp-to-challenge-mayor-in-phuket-fun-city-polls-45250.php

"If only someone had some power over the Tuk Tuks........" - we all have the power of the baht over the tuk-tuks. Don't give them any baht - there lays the individual's power over them. smile.png

There has been no positive change under Keesin, for years. With a change, there is hope, but hope can be a dangerous thing to have, on Phuket. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Let's hope, but I'm sure there is currently a registration drive on for the convicted fraudster, with all his cronies bringing in their family members from outside the province and registering on the local tabien baan, with compensation of course. This guy does not want to relenquish power ( and the millions that go along with it).

Keesin represents everything that is wrong with Thailand and Phuket today. The fact that he is even aloud to run again speaks volumes. For months now we have seen people protesting on Phuket for change and corruption free politics - but where are they now when its on their doorsteps - the answer nowhere.

• Like 1

Keesin represents everything that is wrong with Thailand and Phuket today. The fact that he is even aloud to run again speaks volumes. For months now we have seen people protesting on Phuket for change and corruption free politics - but where are they now when its on their doorsteps - the answer nowhere.

Elections have not been held yet.

"If only someone had some power over the Tuk Tuks........" - we all have the power of the baht over the tuk-tuks. Don't give them any baht - there lays the individual's power over them. smile.png

There has been no positive change under Keesin, for years. With a change, there is hope, but hope can be a dangerous thing to have, on Phuket. smile.png

Not having hope is dangerous.

Careful mate, you sound like Alan!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Phuket is a "hope-less" place. :)

Just look at how Keesin is not only free, but able to run in the next election. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Phuket is a "hope-less" place. smile.png

Just look at how Keesin is not only free, but able to run in the next election. biggrin.png

That has nothing to do with having hope. But it's ok if you're hopeless, I have no hope for you as as well :).

• Like 1

Being the contrary bugger that I am, I do wonder should our esteemed mayor not win. Would he instruct the current regime of Tuk Tuk morons to cause more problems?? Or less severe, potentiall more likey and valid question, would be would she have the clout to tackle them & their ilk?

Being the contrary bugger that I am, I do wonder should our esteemed mayor not win. Would he instruct the current regime of Tuk Tuk morons to cause more problems?? Or less severe, potentiall more likey and valid question, would be would she have the clout to tackle them & their ilk?

Nothing of the kind happened when he lost an election years ago, so why would it be different now?

That has nothing to do with having hope. But it's ok if you're hopeless, I have no hope for you as as well smile.png.

"But it's ok if you're hopeless" - I'm not "hopeless." I stated Phuket is. The fact that Keesin can even run again in the election is proof of that. :)

Nothing of the kind happened when he lost an election years ago, so why would it be different now?

Yes, so no postive change in sight, therefore, hopeless. :) :)

As I mentioned earlier, I have only a limited Phuket/PAtong history... so care to explain?

Not flaming, but interested to know

+1

Or have a look at how despite all the hot air huge buses are still roaring over the mountain at Patong and the clock is still ticking on the next bus related death fest...

As I mentioned earlier, I have only a limited Phuket/PAtong history... so care to explain?

Not flaming, but interested to know

Keesin lost a Patong mayor election some years ago, maybe 8 or so. In the end he ended up mayor since his opponent was ejected from the seat due to fraude.

I suppose Pian needs to be a little bit careful this time as a second yellow card would mean a ban from politics (OK the mantle would probably be taken over by his lovely son but that's a different matter).

When I looked at his opponent's credentials it did seem there may be a genuine opportunity for change, but who knows?

It really depends on the very few people actually registered to vote in the election, a number that no doubt that will be rising, as Steelepulse stated.

But with Thai politics, it's about as clear as a polluted klong. Vote-buying, vote rigging, interference, fraud; it all goes on and unfortunately it could all come down to who outperforms the other in these vital elements of a Thai election.

I suppose Pian needs to be a little bit careful this time as a second yellow card would mean a ban from politics (OK the mantle would probably be taken over by his lovely son but that's a different matter).

When I looked at his opponent's credentials it did seem there may be a genuine opportunity for change, but who knows?

It really depends on the very few people actually registered to vote in the election, a number that no doubt that will be rising, as Steelepulse stated.

But with Thai politics, it's about as clear as a polluted klong. Vote-buying, vote rigging, interference, fraud; it all goes on and unfortunately it could all come down to who outperforms the other in these vital elements of a Thai election

Come on, it was only 250+ people in 4 houses! totally normal

Can I buy a vote for her?

If all the expats who have wives/defactos/girlfriends got them to register to vote here, we could get rid of Keesin quite easily and partically for free. smile.png

Problem is that many Thai people 'living' on Phuket Island are not registered as residents = no vote here. My wife has been registered as living in Phuket for over 16 years and has a vote here, but displays complete apathy to the electoral system because it is so corrupt and she ends up not bothing to vote as too many voters are in the pocket of those corrupt wanabees.. very sad that the system is way beyond repair.

• Like 2