Captiva - my lemon car story

greatjob

Yes, I am a bit of an idiot.

I did buy a top-of-the-line Chevy Captiva (benzine version) 11 months ago and probably made my biggest car-related mistake I eve did (even though I was warned by similar experiences on this forum, silly me!)

In its 11 months "life", the car was 8 times back to the garage for "repair" (basically it was broken since day 1). Basically they had to change breaks 2 times (I am talking about the entire breaking system - front wheels), steering wheel and the axis (front) - they gave me the broken one to see), they had to fix the back door, the trunk (was doing a squeaky sound every time I was on a speed bump), the GPS (3 times). The car interior was also falling apart, vibrating like crazy as soon as I was hitting 100km/h.

I just got back my car 2 weeks ago after spending 3 weeks at the main garage center (they of course did not give me a replacement car). They returned the car with a big scratch on the side / back (they did acknowledged they did it), empty tank, and still problems with breaks (they just don't work properly) and terrible squeaky sound when turning the steering wheel etc... basically they did not fix it but made it worse

Yes, probably my car was a lemon but at 1.5mio, I was expecting better.

I am selling it and learned my lesson, will never buy a daewoo-type of car again.

Not happy,

GJ

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Chevy have recalled over 3,000,000 vehicles in the last 2 months. whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

A few months back we asked lots of questions about their mpv model (can't quickly find the name) in their showroom.

We got no real answers and one 'pretty' girl told us 'just read the brochure.

One of our questions was about gas mileage. Numerous answers:

- Don't know / don't know how to get answer

- Just not important

- One of their staff in Bkk HO said, 'if your find an answer can you please share the details with me'

- Can you please call Chevy in Jakarta and ask them.

- Another HO guy said 'you can check yourself, just divide the litres in a full tank by the kilometres travelled' My son said 'but I want to know the answer before I buy', this generated a response of 'why'?

- We moved on and bought a different brand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Chevy have recalled over 3,000,000 vehicles in the last 2 months. whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

A few months back we asked lots of questions about their mpv model (can't quickly find the name) in their showroom.

- Just not important

- One of their staff in Bkk HO said, 'if your find an answer can you please share the details with me'

- Another HO guy said 'you can check yourself, just divide the litres in a full tank by the kilometres travelled' My son said 'but I want to know the answer before I buy', this generated a response of 'why'?

In LOS, no matter what the subject or purchase, nobody seems to know anything about anything sad.png , folk are paid to do a job but know nothing. Yep, it is very frustrating and so google is your friend, especially in LOS.

• Like 1

Sorry about your experience and the vehicle was provably a lemon as you say when it left the factory. However, I have friends who own Captivas and are very happy with them. With any complicated mass manufactured device, there will be some with problems but the multiplicitude of different ones on your vehicle is unusual. But it can happen with any make/model, as Spoon's experience with his Ford Ranger and the guy with the one-week old BMW clunker make clear. Unfortunately the consumer protection laws are not very well developed or enforced so its a crap shoot when one lays out allot for a vehicle and has to keep one's fingers crossed. That being said, I have owned 3 vehicles in LOS and not a problem with any of them.

• Like 2

up to a few months ago I would have never said this but the Captiva is a decent car. prices here reflect the prices in europe. the top spec diesel is priced exactly the same. now lemons can be found in any brand, but agree that Chev personnel are not prepared also mechanically-wise. choose to take to a private garage, warranty expired anyway or do some jobs myself (oil change).

- Just not important

In LOS, no matter what the subject or purchase, nobody seems to know anything about anything sad.png , folk are paid to do a job but know nothing. Yep, it is very frustrating and so google is your friend, especially in LOS.

Thais don't ask questions - learned very early on in school! So the staff have no answers. Pretty sad really. The best bet is to ask folks on the net about experiences with their motors.....was surprised by honda though, when I got my civic - they guy actually told me I would get around 10 km/l, and that's just what I got too:)

• Like 1

Yep, it is very frustrating and so google is your friend, especially in LOS.

Not just in LOS. Always a good idea to research any purchase, then the only questions you have at time of purchase is "What colors do you have ?"

• Like 1

Chevy have recalled over 3,000,000 vehicles in the last 2 months. whistling.gif

And Toyota has done some big recalls as well in the last few years. What is your point?

Just information. Hope you don't mind me telling folk information do you ?.............rolleyes.gif . This is the motoring forum.

The head of GM has stated in public about their problems cos a number of folk have lost their lives via a few of these problems.

3,000,000 motors recalled in 2 months is worth a mention don't you think.

Does not matter of the make or brand, there are problems with all of them.

The mighty Toyota was just fined $1.2 billion in US.

Toyota Admits Misleading Customers; Agrees To $1.2 Billion Criminal Fine http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2014/03/19/toyota-admits-misleading-customers-agrees-to-1-2-billion-criminal-fine/
  • Like 1

It was probably the only really bad one in the 10000 or so a month they make.....but I am sure you would have rather had one of the other 9999!

True. Lemons come in more colors than yellow !!

Chevy have recalled over 3,000,000 vehicles in the last 2 months. whistling.gif

And Toyota has done some big recalls as well in the last few years. What is your point?

Just information. Hope you don't mind me telling folk information do you ?.............rolleyes.gif . This is the motoring forum.

The head of GM has stated in public about their problems cos a number of folk have lost their lives via a few of these problems.

3,000,000 motors recalled in 2 months is worth a mention don't you think.

Does not matter of the make or brand, there are problems with all of them.

The mighty Toyota was just fined $1.2 billion in US.

Toyota Admits Misleading Customers; Agrees To $1.2 Billion Criminal Fine http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2014/03/19/toyota-admits-misleading-customers-agrees-to-1-2-billion-criminal-fine/

The problem is TransAm is always quick to slash other brands, as done here, but refuses to accept crticism of his beloved Toyota, as done here.

The world is truly changing outside Thailand, and soon in Thailand I think.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140228/RETAIL01/302289967/ford-nips-at-toyota-in-u.s.-retail-sales-race

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- The Ford brand is closing in on Toyota as the favorite of retail auto buyers in the United States, a sign of rising popularity of the Fusion mid-sized car and Escape SUV, and of growing dismay with the Japanese manufacturer.

Toyota Motor Corp.'s namesake brand, a default choice of a generation of car buyers who admired its high quality, lost ground during the past six years amid recalls, natural disasters and stiffer competition.

"Before 2010, Toyota's image was bulletproof, and while it is still strong, it's not rock solid and as perfect as it was before," said Tom Libby, auto analyst for IHS Automotive. "It now appears their march forward has been slowed."

Its share of the U.S. retail market fell to 13.5 percent last year from 16.3 percent in 2008, according to data provided to Bloomberg by IHS Automotive using Polk vehicle-registration records.

Edited by keemapoot

When one knows a Brand is Good why change to an unreliable brand when the difference is tiny seeing the minimal choice we have here .Anyone who buys a Ford here over any Toyota brand doesn't know Thailand Ford. I was interested in the Mazda 3,but not now...,too much waffle over Hondas clean no nonsense product and service..3 Weeks to get a rear door for a Trailblazer, bloody incredible , and that's from a G.M. Big Dealership.

@steveni,

So you don't like me forwarding information here which IS on topic, GM. ?

What has Toyota got to do with this topic ?

Yes I have a Toyota truck and we discuss different trucks on different threads, what has that got to do with this topic ?

facepalm.gif

@steveni,

Yes I have a Toyota truck and we discuss different trucks on different threads, what has that got to do with this topic ?

facepalm.gif

Yeah and on those different truck thread you do like to hang a lot of shit on trucks that are not Toyota.

• Like 2

@steveni,

facepalm.gif

Yeah and on those different truck thread you do like to hang a lot of shit on trucks that are not Toyota.

Because I read a lot, I take in stuff, I also try and remember truck faults for future chats here thumbsup.gif . If I think Toyota trucks are more reliable and have superior build quality, then I will say that in the appropriate threads, not this one.

I did not start a topic about GM's 3,000,000 problems, it was in my head and thought appropriate for the OP to read. Nothing to do with Toyota is it.rolleyes.gif

@steveni,

facepalm.gif

Yeah and on those different truck thread you do like to hang a lot of shit on trucks that are not Toyota.,

I agree,

There are some posters here that made me stop posting in motor forum,I could not be bothered anymore.

• Like 1

@steveni,

facepalm.gif

Because I read a lot, I take in stuff, I also try and remember truck faults for future chats here thumbsup.gif . If I think Toyota trucks are more reliable and have superior build quality, then I will say that in the appropriate threads, not this one.

I did not start a topic about GM's 3,000,000 problems, it was in my head and thought appropriate for the OP to read. Nothing to do with Toyota is it.rolleyes.gif

You have never said anything good about a non toyota pickup, it gets very tedious after a while.

• Like 2

@steveni,

facepalm.gif

You have never said anything good about a non toyota pickup, it gets very tedious after a while.

Up to you, I recall you don't like other members posts on motors either. I am sorry if you don't like my input cos you own a ride I perhaps criticize or or don't like. Man up and take on board whats been written then reply if you need to. Up to you.

@steveni,

facepalm.gif

Yeah and on those different truck thread you do like to hang a lot of shit on trucks that are not Toyota.,

I agree,

There are some posters here that made me stop posting in motor forum,I could not be bothered anymore.

Why ?, you bought a Chevy.......w00t.gif ..................laugh.png

Why does Nissan never get a mention here.?. Are they a Prob, the Traders up here like the 2door very much.Or is it they are not Blingy enough for some.

I agree. I think you probably get more for your money with a Nissan than any other. Look at the used car prices for recent models, very low. And, I hear they ride better than other pickups. I've seen a few that were tricked out nicely too.

Why does Nissan never get a mention here.?. Are they a Prob, the Traders up here like the 2door very much.Or is it they are not Blingy enough for some.

The D40 Navara is actually a very decent rig. Iam surprised they are not mentioned more often as well.

I used to have one, but sold it as soon as could. Ride quality was far, far less than Isuzu's I previously owned and Mazda I have now, service level was abominal (even Transam's buddy KBB once said that the Nissan dealer here on Phuket must be the worst dealer he has ever seen) and all in all I never really liked the car.

Sold it on within the year, which was a very good decision, after I made the worst in my car buying life to buy it.

I used to have one, but sold it as soon as could. Ride quality was far, far less than Isuzu's I previously owned and Mazda I have now, service level was abominal (even Transam's buddy KBB once said that the Nissan dealer here on Phuket must be the worst dealer he has ever seen) and all in all I never really liked the car.

Sold it on within the year, which was a very good decision, after I made the worst in my car buying life to buy it.

Thats why doing your homework (reading here also) might have saved you hassle eh..................smile.png

Thats why doing your homework (reading here also) might have saved you hassle eh..................smile.png

Shoulda bought the Toyota. It is the best.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1