Danish Motorcyclist killed in South Pattaya Road crash

webfact

Danish Motorcyclist killed in South Pattaya Road crash

denmark-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 67 year old Danish Man, who was driving a motorbike with sidecar, was killed after his vehicle was hit by a Minivan travelling to Bangkok.

Police and rescue services made their way to the scene of the crash on the Sukhumvit Road outside of the Pattaya Post Office in the southern outskirts of Pattaya. Lying on the road was Mr. Ole Laursen aged 67 from Denmark, close to his badly damaged motorbike and sidecar in the right hand lane of the carriageway.

\A Minivan, which was transporting passengers to Bangkok from Rayong Province and was carrying 5 people, had been moved off the carriageway by its driver, Khun Pomot aged 58. He claimed that he was travelling in the right hand lane when the slow-moving motorbike came across from the left lane into the right lane. Khun Pomot claimed he was unable to stop in-time to avoid a collision with the motorbike which he struck at a high rate of speed.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/122580/danish-motorcyclist-killed-in-south-pattaya-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-03-24

big mistake, to risk your life crossing a mayor road to do a u-turn (or a right) when you know

there are high speed cars ,van's,trucks ,other morons who can never stop when something comes in front of their wheels.

Q; how else could he cross?

A; By judging better the ongoing circus on the road,and waiting for a long time .

A Don't do this with a self made trike ,witch is already not easy to drive straight and too slow to mix in high speed traffic .

rip ,he's in a better place now.

• Like 2

When will Thailand learn that u-turns are lethal? They force slow moving vehicles into the 'fast' lane and are just accidents waiting to happen..............usually they don't have to wait too long!

RIP Mr Laursen.

• Like 2

As those things are illegal the blame lays squarely on the deceased shoulders as far as Iam concerned.

Not doubt you were in your Fortuner, tailgating the minivan at the time it happened!

Many things are illegal in Thailand, you may not have noticed but illegality has little affect on reality here. The deceased was very likely unaware that his vehicle was illegal as the things are everywhere and the police do nothing about them.

• Like 2

big mistake, to risk your life crossing a mayor road to do a u-turn (or a right) when you know

there are high speed cars ,van's,trucks ,other morons who can never stop when something comes in front of their wheels.

Q; how else could he cross?

A; By judging better the ongoing circus on the road,and waiting for a long time .

A Don't do this with a self made trike ,witch is already not easy to drive straight and too slow to mix in high speed traffic .

rip ,he's in a better place now.

Could you please post your source of this info?

R.I.P. Mr. Laursen,

But i feel that I must put my two pennies in with regards to minibus drivers. I agree that there are a lot of crazies , but every time we come home to Hua Hin we have a private minibus who collects us from Swampy. He is courteous, professional, and a careful driver. I am the first to admit I am not a good passenger (preferring to drive myself), but I, and my wife and son always feel safe in his hands. This is a private family company, and I am assuming the number of complaints are aimed more at the free for all cram them in for maximum profit operators.bah.gif Just wanted to give credit where credit is due, wai.gif

• Like 2

The worst road for a bike driver is Pattaya Sukhumvit without a jam.

As lucjoker described:

crazy speeding on the right lane, slow bikes etc. on the left try to get over to the U-turn.

These roads are killers. Crazy and insane to build and keep it that way.

When I am in Pattaya (rarely) I avoid to drive along this road with the motorbike whenever possible.

Unfortunately I could not convince a friend to avoid it: heavy accident in July 2013, spending 600'000 Baht in Bangkok hospital.

Begging his children for money to pay the hospital.

7 months handicapped. Now on good recovery.

So sad!

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

The worst road for a bike driver is Pattaya Sukhumvit without a jam.

As lucjoker described:

crazy speeding on the right lane, slow bikes etc. on the left try to get over to the U-turn.

These roads are killers. Crazy and insane to build and keep it that way.

When I am in Pattaya (rarely) I avoid to drive along this road with the motorbike whenever possible.

So sad!

The key to staying alive when making u-turns on Sukhumvit is to match your speed with the traffic in the next lane coming from behind, trying to do it at a snail's pace, as many do, is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

Key clue for those who might have still missed it: "....at a high rate rate of speed..."

Speeds of 100 to 160 km/h (60 to 100 miles/hour) are the norm in this crazy place and rarely police cares.

• Like 1

The key to staying alive when making u-turns on Sukhumvit is to match your speed with the traffic in the next lane coming from behind, trying to do it at a snail's pace, as many do, is a recipe for disaster.

Technically you are right.

But think about it: where in a civilised country you have an eight lane superhighway shared with low moving bikes, even bicycles, pedestrians etc.

No significant speed limit/check, no over/underturns, not even a separated side lane (even in upcountry this is the norm).

Third world and one of the reasons I do not want to live at a place like Pattaya racing for my life.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Technically you are right.

But think about it: where in a civilised country you have an eight lane superhighway shared with low moving bikes, even bicycles, pedestrians etc.

No significant speed limit/check, no over/underturns, not even a separated side lane (even in upcountry this is the norm).

Third world and one of the reasons I do not want to live at a place like Pattaya racing for my life.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, unfortunately it's the way things are in this country, so we just have to do our best to survive it.

Not sure whose fault it was. Probably a combination of the two of them. I have seen many driving that type of sidecar motorbike

cross multiple lanes at far below a merging speed and often driving at night without tail lights or signalling. That said I have rarely seen

the mini vans driving at less then maximum speed weaving in and out of traffic. The only thing I know for sure is the driver of the

sidecar motorbike paid the ultimate price. RIP

• Like 2

With so many kamikaze drivers like minivan drivers on the road I think he would have been better off applying what they call a " hook turn " in Victoria, Australia

Edited by midas

i detest minivan drivers, reckless wanna be race drivers, hands up anyone had close calls with minivans

I travel regularly on the minibuses between Nakhon Sawan and Bangkok, and sit mostly in the front seat. The mini bus drivers on that run are very safe and reliable. IMHO, most accidents are caused by slow moving traffic that hog the center and outside lanes, although I accept that the state of the inside lanes in some parts are in a dreadful state caused by overladen trucks.The mini bus drivers have to keep changing lanes to overtake these idiots.

I drove past this accident yesterday afternoon with the Danish man lying on the ground, the broken motorbike close by and not a helmet in sight. I also drove back there today and from the skid marks from the van there was a lot of speed involved. That part of Sukhumvit is like a race track and traveling at 80 kph you get left for dead.

As I often say regarding the road toll here, the Government doesn't care (they do pay lip service to it occasionally), the Police don't care and the people don't care. So in the long term with all interested parties with this attitude nothing is going to change.

• Like 1