One thousand logs of protected wood seized in Kalasin

webfact

One thousand logs of protected wood seized in Kalasin

KALASIN, 25 March 2014 (NNT) – Kalasin police have confiscated more than one thousand logs of Siamese Rosewood, believed to be worth nearly 10 million baht.

Kalasin police, together with Phuphan National Park rangers, raided a property in Na Khu District following an intelligence report that smuggled objects might be in storage in the household.

During a quick inspection, authorities found more than a thousand logs of protected Siamese rosewood stored at the property. It's believed that the timber was being assembled for delivery to foreign buyers. The owner of the property managed to flee the scene before authorities arrived.

According to police, the timber would have been worth up to 10 million baht if it had been smuggled out of the country.

Thailand is believed to be home to the world's only remaining Siamese Rosewood forests.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-25 footer_n.gif

if my caculations are right it averages out at $10,000 baht per piece. if they were stored in the house they must be small pieces . no wonder this guy was risking this profession. it is a shame they are destroying the forest.

good old capiitalism.

Edited by davetrout

Well, at least they know it was the property owner. No how hard could it be to look that up at the Amphoe (district) records, and search for the guy? Probably too complicated or bothersome for the local authorities to pursue.

However to cut down a thousand trees (noise, transport, etc.) had to be carried out by paying off similar, if not the same authorities, for a considerable amount of time. Possibly somebody missed a payment?

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

I lived there 3 years ago and wow this is an ongoing racket for most.

No police in many areas, no forestry personnel who have time to do anything about it.

It's all that's left and there ( the drug addicted> drunk locals) are all in on it.

The village head was a woman who's husband owned the timber mill > I'm sure everyone can see

Just how things work in a law less area.

Well, at least they know it was the property owner. No how hard could it be to look that up at the Amphoe (district) records, and search for the guy? Probably too complicated or bothersome for the local authorities to pursue.

However to cut down a thousand trees (noise, transport, etc.) had to be carried out by paying off similar, if not the same authorities, for a considerable amount of time. Possibly somebody missed a payment?

You have no way of knowing any of this and are just "assuming" the worst.

The going rate was $10,000 per cubic meter a couple of months back, so it is impossible for us to judge the value without seeing the size of the logs, but the valuation sounds reasonable. Of course the question has to be how the owner managed to flee in advance and surely they must know who owns the property? With this amount of money involved you know for sure the RTP were deeply involved along with local politicians and other scum that has managed to float to the top of local society.

You have no way of knowing any of this and are just "assuming" the worst.

"You have no way of knowing any of this..."

YOU ARE QUITE CORRECT

"...and are just "assuming" the worst.

I AM ASSUMING THE PROBABLE, living here near Kalasin for 10+years and having a number of Thai friends in the city government & police force.

(Another naysayer trying to prove everyone a liar or discount their posts. Some posters, instead of contributing new thoughts to these forums, mostly prefer to just sit back and take pot-shots at those who do. Get a life. )

• Like 1

The local school had 3 of these trees in its grounds.

About 5 days ago, they disappeared in the middle of the night.

I don't know how true, but I was told that the value of these 3 trees was about 1 million Baht.

They left behind branches that were still extremely valuable, apparently.

Fact: The trees were cut down with a chainsaw

Fact: They needed heavy vehicles to cart away the trees

Fact: There is a roadside police station about 50 metres away, but nobody heard anything.

The local school had 3 of these trees in its grounds.

About 5 days ago, they disappeared in the middle of the night.

I don't know how true, but I was told that the value of these 3 trees was about 1 million Baht.

They left behind branches that were still extremely valuable, apparently.

Fact: The trees were cut down with a chainsaw

Fact: They needed heavy vehicles to cart away the trees

Fact: There is a roadside police station about 50 metres away, but nobody heard anything.

Here's something for the schoolkids to discuss in their next philosophy class:

If a tree is cut down with a chainsaw in the middle of the night and none of the police around hear a sound does that make it a crime?

coffee1.gif