Sawan Masih: Pakistani Christian gets death penalty for blasphemy

webfact

Sawan Masih: Pakistani Christian gets death penalty for blasphemy

LAHORE: -- A Pakistani Christian man has been sentenced to death for blasphemy, in a case which sparked fierce rioting in the eastern city of Lahore last March.

Sawan Masih was convicted of using derogatory remarks against the Prophet Mohammed in a row with a Muslim friend.

Hundreds of Muslims attacked the city's Christian Joseph colony, torching homes, when the allegations surfaced.

Allegations of blasphemy against Islam are taken very seriously in Pakistan, where 97% of the population are Muslim.

Several recent cases have prompted international concern about the application of blasphemy laws.

The 26-year-old Masih, who is a father of three, has consistently maintained his innocence during the year-long trial. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26781731#TWEET1085022

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-03-28

Two senior Pakistani Ministers, one Muslim, one Christian, have been murdered by extremists for speaking out against the blasphemy laws. Other Pakistani politicians often do not speak out as they require the votes of the Islamic conservatives to stay in power and minimise the prospect of assassination. Unsurprisingly these issues have really put a stop to efforts to rescind the blasphemy laws in Pakistan by removing the powers of the lower courts in these matters.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/2/pakistan-minister-murdered-for-criticism-of-islam-/?page=all

From the BBC URL.

While accused under the blasphemy laws, most of them have been sentenced to death by the lower courts, many sentences have been overturned due to lack of evidence. Sawan Masih now has 30 days to appeal. Critics argue that Pakistan's blasphemy laws are frequently misused to settle personal scores and those members of minority groups are also unfairly targeted.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

If that belief system isn't the most paranoid, insecure belief system on the planet, I don't know what is. What a scourge.

..and yet it grows like a malignant tumour. Why, what is the attraction?

Like a lot of religions, it is established in the the threat of death. In this one, that threat still looms larger than in some of the other ones.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If that belief system isn't the most paranoid, insecure belief system on the planet, I don't know what is. What a scourge.

..and yet it grows like a malignant tumour. Why, what is the attraction?

...virgins..., yup

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A lot of people made their original decision about religion under the threat of death. This was common with a number of religions in the past.

Exactly, in the past. Fortunately, most religions have become more enlightened since then and no longer persecute people for their choices.

72 vigins not 40 or 72 Virginians... yes I heard that joke before...pretty good... yes be killed if you happen to leave the faith... great ...rules from 1000 years still being... some even from the old testament as well - stoning, etc...yep hard to get enlightened these days belonging to some or all religions...most being the Big Businesses they are... 5 5 5

I assume you mean a threat of death for choosing another religion or not practicing the one that's shoved down your throat? I can't think of any other religion in present times that does that.

In Scientology, if an adherent wants to leave the fray, it's not easy, and that defector may be hounded for awhile. But it's not even close to the frantic extremism of Islamists.

*Deleted Posts edited out*

In some Islamist countries, there are groups of young men, who call themselves 'Religious Police' - if they find any young attractive woman out unchaperoned, they take it upon themselves to teach her a lesson in chastity - and they gang rape her. I doubt you'll find a bunch of middle aged pouchy farang in Pattaya who will gang-rape a girl - for any reason.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

What happened there ain't right. But it's worse that that. It's not some random event, what happened is reflective of the dominant culture in that region. This kind of thing provides ethical questions for typical western liberal people who in theory WANT to be tolerant of cultural differences all over the world. Is there not a limit? Is this kind of thing a perfect example of the limits of TOLERANCE? It's really tough. The "culture" is actually ... based on the dominant RELIGION there. Yes, total can of worms. Yes other religions have these kinds of problems as well in the roots of their DOGMA, but in the Christian example the Inquisition is now long ago history. Sentencing to death for blasphemy? In these modern times. Yes, I will say, that is something that CANNOT be tolerated. Such policies need to be condemned at every opportunity. But not there, you'll get killed, won't you?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

"The rioting that followed the incident lasted days and saw about 3,000 Muslims attack the Christian neighbourhood, starting fires. Two churches and dozens of bibles were also desecrated in the attack"

Religion the opiate of the people? More like the ruddy ya bah of the people by the sound of it.

• Like 1

Jingthing, I wish to grant you your wishes.

However, the ugly reality is different.

I can be a Jew and laugh at Jews and Moses.

I can be a Christian and laugh at Christians and Jesus, or Pope.

What I cannot is to be a Muslim and laugh at Mohammed, or be a N.Korean and laugh at Kim the Dick, or be White and laugh at the Blacks.

Hell, one cannot even be alive and laugh at Mohammed. No matter whether you are religious or not! No humour is the strongest and weakest point of any true believer.

This is not the world of tolerance. This is the world of expediency. Wake up, man. tongue.png

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

I can be a Christian and laugh at Christians and Jesus.

What I cannot is to be a Muslim and laugh at Mohammed, or be a N.Korean and laugh at Kim the Dick, or be White and laugh at the Blacks.

This is not the world of tolerance. This is the world of expediency. Wake up, man. tongue.png

I wonder if you even read my post. coffee1.gif

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Cheers.

But I did. Honestly.

Cheers.

But I did. Honestly.

I'm already awake.

The tricky thing is to condemn barbarism in modern times without becoming a hater yourself if the target of your condemnation is a religion/ethnic group, etc..

No of course this isn't only about Islamism, but part of it is definitely about Islamism.

Tricky, but not impossible.

Edited by Jingthing

I am not disagreeing with you.

Maybe just taking it a step further.

Or maybe I'm too inflexible and do not carry vaseline? laugh.png

I understand. I don't want to compromise my liberal principles but in the face of such barbarity clearly directly linked to religion, it gets more complicated.