Mosquito control - traps? Bat houses? What are my options?

Jason Green

Question about mosquito control. I will be moving into a new house here in Chiang Mai in approx 1 month, only problem is the yard and garden seem to be a constant mosquito party. You cannot stand outside for a few seconds without getting swarmed. I assume this is because the house is a couple blocks from the canal road.

What can I do to control / prevent this? Please don't suggest sprays or burning coils, they are both poison and just treat the problem, not getting to the source.

The house has window / door screen, so its more of a problem outdoors.

In USA we can get these propane/butane-powered mosquito traps. Are they available in Thailand?

I already tried the water garden / fish / guppies thing, but it has provided no help.

Someone suggested building bat houses, as bats eat tons of mosquitos. Anyone have any experience with this? Article on that below. Any other suggestions? Thank you! smile.png

Edited by Jason Green

The people on the other thread about that mosquito trap said they tried it and it didn't work sad.png

But at this point, it's about all I've got! Might have to try it...

I did hear that the propane/butane-powered mosquito traps are indeed available in Thailand. I guess they used to sell them at CarreFour. They aren't cheap back home, though! These sorts of things: http://www.lowes.com/pd_143828-1558-MM3200_0__

You might try putting a lot of lemongrass and lemon balm plants around the property. I've just started to experiment with lemongrass, and first impression is good. To grow, just go to your local market and buy up what's on the table. Put the stalks into water and leave in the sun. After a week you should see some shoots, so transplant into pots. Dead easy to grow. For lemon balm, you'll probably have to find some seeds and start from scratch. Long term solution, I know, so better to start now. Good luck.

• Like 1

I'd stay away from bats if I were you. They bite too. They also have viruses that can be harmful or even deadly to humans, including rabies. And the Pizza Hut delivery guy may not be too thrilled about coming back.

There are ways to lessen their impact, but it will always be an annoyance. The best solution is to stay indoors or move to a less infested area. If you HAVE to stay outside, wear protective clothing from head to toe and use liberal amounts of DEET, but I'd be worried about prolonged use.

• Like 1

I would be worried about dengue in a mozzie plagued area- had it last year and I am not in a queue for a 2nd go araound

Its getting worse in Thaland and in most asian countries year on year and is probably under-reported for obvious reasons, as are dengue deaths

One reason I prefer life in a high rise condo.- cleaner air and very very few mozzies.

Good luck with finding a solution

You might try putting a lot of lemongrass and lemon balm plants around the property. I've just started to experiment with lemongrass, and first impression is good. To grow, just go to your local market and buy up what's on the table. Put the stalks into water and leave in the sun. After a week you should see some shoots, so transplant into pots. Dead easy to grow. For lemon balm, you'll probably have to find some seeds and start from scratch. Long term solution, I know, so better to start now. Good luck.

Similarly jasmine is traditionally used in Spain around doors and windows.

Still getting the house built so not looking that far ahead yet.

Forget the black light traps, they do not work on mosquitoes which are attracted by our natural aroma. Yes those butane burning traps are available at Homepro but when I checked on them there was a a question mark over reliability and they also use a chemical attractant. After much research I opted for a trap that uses a chemical attractant and a fan to suck them into a bag where they are killed by dehydration.

As for getting to the source forget it. They are so overwhelmingly present indeed every plant and in every slightly dam area that all you can hope to do is mitigate their presence and take the additional precaution of applying a repellant as soon as you get out of the shower. I use a natural non DEET one in town but carry a DEET one for rural locations.

The machine I use requires an electrical supply, operates 24/7 just like the mosquitoes and is not silent. You need to change the attractant pad every two months and it certainly catches mosquitoes and nothing else, without harm to the environment. Got to their website www.biogents.com for all the detail.

Best of luck. I have only had three bites in the past year, and so far no dengue or malaria even though acquaintances have had milder forms of dengue caught in the suburbs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I have a similar problem or so it seems. Just step outside my door and the mosquitos swarm. In fact, there are so many even in the house that I can't sit comfortably at night and type on the computer without having to keep a constant vigil on my ankles. However, the Thai folks in the house diagonally across the street sit in their living room with the lights on watching TV with the door wide open. As do many others. I can only surmise that either they really like farang blood or that there is something peculiar about my house. It is wooden, probably 50 years old, and slightly raised on stilts so that there is about 3 feet of open dark, dank space underneath. Maybe that's what they like, the crawl space underneath. Anyway, I can't type anymore, have to scratch an itch....

• Like 1

from Yahoo I searched for this

'using a fan to trap mosquitoes'

I think the best method is to use a high speed fan with a screen on the air intake side. The mosquitoes cannot escape so you can spray them with a diluted bleach solution which kills them. This is good for outdoors when there are hordes of them.

• Like 1

Plant a lot of the strong smelling lemon grass they hate the stuff I have always gone to Macro go to the veg area you will see Lemmon grass bundles for about 20 baht take them home place in water for a couple of days until you see little root growing plant in the garden between 30 to 60 cm apart , water for the 1st two weeks and within a month you should have enough growth to be able to split and replant !!

Yep I heard the mosquito trap works - they even sell them at Home Pro -

but make ur own - Cut higher than 1/2 way. (Place some way, away from where you want to sit.)

Also buy or make the biggest size mosquito net to use out doors.
(IF u find a Cotton one - let me know)

Use available walls terrraces overhangs or huge garden umbrellas to form a roof

then u can be inside - outside.... Much cooler

(Use water proof spay for umbrella then sit out in rain showers ...)

Lemon grass plants to repel mosquitos is like pissing on a forest fire.

• Like 1

I bought an electric "zapper" at Makro and was about 450 Baht and I thought it was a mistake at first cause I did not see much action in my bathroom filled with skeeters everyday but I gave it more time and it has performed beyond my imagination...I guess the little guys were resisting dying that way for a while and eventually saw the opportunity to go home to God and spread the word before they got fried and then confided to other skeeters about the opportunity awaiting them!

• Like 1

I'd stay away from bats if I were you. They bite too. They also have viruses that can be harmful or even deadly to humans, including rabies. And the Pizza Hut delivery guy may not be too thrilled about coming back.

There are ways to lessen their impact, but it will always be an annoyance. The best solution is to stay indoors or move to a less infested area. If you HAVE to stay outside, wear protective clothing from head to toe and use liberal amounts of DEET, but I'd be worried about prolonged use.

bats are also known to kidnap small children, spreading HIV when having sex with humans and kill even big dogs with a single bite in the neck. however, i don't believe the rumour that bats are gang raping buffaloes.

personally i like the bats in my neighbourhood and sooner or later i'll build a home for them in my garden.

Hahaha :) Yeah... pretty much! Bats? Dangerous? Never heard of them being a problem for any human in my lifetime. I'll take mosquito-eating bats any day over blood sucking / dengue fever carrying mosquitos!

• Like 1

Lemon grass plants to repel mosquitos is like pissing on a forest fire.

Have to agree with you here. I already have lemongrass growing in the garden. Hasn't helped a bit! Definitely need something stronger and more effective. I mean, maybe if I'm lying in a field of lemongrass, it might work? But with it planted in the garden, I'm still getting mad swarmed by bloodsuckers.

from Yahoo I searched for this

'using a fan to trap mosquitoes'

I think the best method is to use a high speed fan with a screen on the air intake side. The mosquitoes cannot escape so you can spray them with a diluted bleach solution which kills them. This is good for outdoors when there are hordes of them.

Hmmm... this is an interesting idea! :) Or maybe have a big bag on the outtake side, soaked with bleach solution? Have that bad boy in the garden, constantly sucking in the hungry bastards...

Check this out--awesome! Looks like you just need a high power fan and a screen. And some rubbing alcohol. Kills thousands in one day!

Here's another one:

Forget the black light traps, they do not work on mosquitoes which are attracted by our natural aroma. Yes those butane burning traps are available at Homepro but when I checked on them there was a a question mark over reliability and they also use a chemical attractant. After much research I opted for a trap that uses a chemical attractant and a fan to suck them into a bag where they are killed by dehydration.

As for getting to the source forget it. They are so overwhelmingly present indeed every plant and in every slightly dam area that all you can hope to do is mitigate their presence and take the additional precaution of applying a repellant as soon as you get out of the shower. I use a natural non DEET one in town but carry a DEET one for rural locations.

The machine I use requires an electrical supply, operates 24/7 just like the mosquitoes and is not silent. You need to change the attractant pad every two months and it certainly catches mosquitoes and nothing else, without harm to the environment. Got to their website www.biogents.com for all the detail.

Best of luck. I have only had three bites in the past year, and so far no dengue or malaria even though acquaintances have had milder forms of dengue caught in the suburbs.

Thanks for the info here! :) Those traps look good. Where did you buy yours? Are they for sale here in Thailand? And how much did it cost? Cheers! :)

Most thanks you for the linksmile.png by the way did you bought yours on their website since I will certainly buy one?

I can't advise re the mosquitos, but do not do anything that might attract bats.

Unless you want huge problems. (Think tons of guano causing your ceilings to collapse).

They are real pests and very, very hard to get rid of. And they will not stay in their houses when your house offers a nice roof space instead.

Speaking form long and bitter experience....

Geckos and jing=choks eat mosquitoes too, as do frogs. And certain types of fish will consume the mosquito larva though maybe no help if they are breeding in a site not on your property.

You say: "Please don't suggest sprays or burning coils, they are both poison and just treat the problem, not getting to the source."

So what do you mean by "getting to the source"? Aren't mosquitoes the problem? Or do you mean treating the water to kill the larvae...oops, that's poison too.

IF you really want to get to the source, drain all klongs in your mooban and the surrounding ones and keep all areas dry. Do not water plants or irrigate. Get everyone to follow your lead. Bring in industrial foggers (the local governments have them) and drop a thick blanket all over the entire area (they used to do my mooban before, about every 3 months). You'll know the folks as they look like men from Ghostbusters.

Wrap all dogs and birds and animals in cello wrap to ensure that the mosquitoes that do survive will have nothing to feed on. Eat 15 cloves of garlic a day. Buy an amulet of the Buddhist saint of mosquito avengers. Stop taking showers. Slather your body with tamarind sap -- don't forget the back of your hands! Don't exhale, ever.

Things should be looking up already.....

Portable Electric and Propane Mosquito Trap with Lure

• Counterflow technology allows the trap to emit a precise plume of CO2, heat, and moisture that attracts the biting insects to the trap, while simultaneously vacuuming them into a net where they dehydrate and die within 24 hours

Yikes! A slow death over 24 hours by depriving them of moisture? And you're worried about "poisoning" the beasts?

I know its old but it does work. Just make it using a bigger bottle if there are too many mozzies.

How to Build a Mosquito Trap

What you'll need

• 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 pinch of yeast
  • 2 liter bottle
  • water
  • stove
  • pot
  • black construction paper
  • tape
  • knife

If you are plagued by mosquitos, you may want to consider using a mosquito trap to reduce their numbers. Should you expect to spend a lot of money doing this? Should you shop around for the best deal on mosquito traps? In reality, you can build your own mosquito trap with a few common household items, as long as you know what you are doing. What follows should help anyone trying to build a mosquito trap.

Step 1 - Setting Up

• Cut the top off of the 2 liter bottle with your knife.
  • Cut at exactly where the bottle starts to curve, or as close as you can. Ideally, when you are done, you should have 2 pieces of plastic—1 cylinder that you can fill with liquid, and one curved top section.
  • Measure out 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 cup of water.

Step 2 - Mixing the Ingredients

• Heat up 1 cup of water in the pot on the stove.
  • Once it is hot, add the 4 tablespoons of brown sugar. Mix them together until the sugar dissolves.
  • Add cold water to the mix until it is merely warm.
  • Once you have lowered the water temperature a bit, add a pinch of yeast to the mixture.

The goal here is to ferment the sugar with yeast, which creates carbon dioxide—mosquitos are attracted to both sugar and carbon dioxide, so this mixture will really attract them to your trap.

Step 3 - Building the Trap

Now you have all of the required materials to make a mosquito trap prepared, and it is time to put them together.

• Set the bottom half of the 2 liter bottle upright, and pour the mixture of sugar, water, and yeast in.
  • Take the top half of the bottle, turn it upside down so it is pointing downwards, and put it into the lower half of the bottle. At this point, no part of the upper half should be above the top of the lower half.
  • Push the lower half down as far as it will go without touching the liquid, just to be sure—you want the upper and lower half to seal off completely, with no opening but the place where the cap used to be.
  • Cover the outside of the trap with the black construction paper. You may have to cut it down to size to do this part properly.

Step 4 - Placing the Trap

Your trap is complete. Now all you have to do is put it to good use. Select a cool spot outside, preferably with high humidity, and place the trap there. A spot in the shade is best.

Check the trap every 2 weeks. You will need to empty it out and replace the mixture inside, both to prevent mosquitos from laying eggs in it, and to replenish the supply of sugar and carbon dioxide. With any luck, you will also be emptying a lot of dead mosquitos.

bats are also known to kidnap small children, spreading HIV when having sex with humans and kill even big dogs with a single bite in the neck. however, i don't believe the rumour that bats are gang raping buffaloes.

personally i like the bats in my neighbourhood and sooner or later i'll build a home for them in my garden.

Hahaha smile.png Yeah... pretty much! Bats? Dangerous? Never heard of them being a problem for any human in my lifetime. I'll take mosquito-eating bats any day over blood sucking / dengue fever carrying mosquitos!

Google Hendra virus. I think it is currently running at a 50% human fatality rate.