Russian withdrawal: Chinese tourist scammed out of Bt400,000

webfact

Russian withdrawal: Chinese tourist scammed out of B400,000

Phuket Gazette

1_201433111738949_ZmXHYOzYiGMzvWFejSXStp

Thieves in Russia withdrew 400,000 baht from Mr Sun's account while he was in Phuket. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A Chinese tourist issued a warning to other Phuket visitors of skimmer gangs after thieves in Russia withdrew 400,000 baht from his account.

On March 24, my bank called to ask me where I was, because my account showed several withdrawals in Russia between March 22 and 24, said Haohao Sun.

At the time the 400,000 baht was taken out, I was in Phuket. I do not know how the money could have been withdrawn in Russia.

Mr Sun revealed that the last time he had withdrawn money was on March 19 from a Siam Commercial Bank ATM at the Premium Outlet Mall on the bypass road.

Mr Sun immediately notified the Phuket City Police after being contacted by his bank. The case is now under investigation.

I would like my situation to be a lesson for other tourists. I have three other Chinese friends vacationing in Phuket who have also been skimmed out of money. Together, we have lost a total of about 1 million baht, Mr Sun said.

Please be aware of skimmer gangs, they are in Phuket.

Mr Suns warning comes one month after police called on tourists and Phuket residents to bring scam artists to justice (story here).

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Russian-withdrawal-Chinese-tourist-scammed-of-B400000/28997

- Kritsada Mueanhawong

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-31

Yes, could have been skimmed at the mentioned ATM at the outlet mall. But could also have happened anywhere, including his hometown. Sometimes it takes months before skimmers actually withdraw.

• Like 1

Russia doing bad things not locals , kidnapping, scammed card in Pattaya.

I beg your pardon ??????????????????????????????????? what about Jet ski scams ? corruption ? etc ...etc ...all done by "locals" ..... do you read the news paper some time ? if not please do ..

• Like 2

Yes, could have been skimmed at the mentioned ATM at the outlet mall. But could also have happened anywhere, including his hometown. Sometimes it takes months before skimmers actually withdraw.

Yes ....and his friends also ? Think not.

I beg your pardon ??????????????????????????????????? what about Jet ski scams ? corruption ? etc ...etc ...all done by "locals" ..... do you read the news paper some time ? if not please do ..

Do you? Russian gangster's appear to have kidnapped a fellow countryman, murdered and tortured him; having tried to kill his gf whilst attempting to extort money. This case, drunk Russians causing damage to temple and other property etc etc. Now this, on top of previous similar scams,

Not all crime carried out by Russians for sure; and they aren't the only nationality that has a problem with some of its nationals drinking too much. But, they are certainly raising their profile.

• Like 2

data readed, pin recorded = sold = printed to new plastic = withdrawed i.e. online items / ATMs

Please before give your card to ATM machine please check by your hands keyboard and card reader, also look for strange things around screen, dnt use stand alone ATMs in dark areas, the rules are simple.

Who cares about the 400,000? What about the bloke in the background hanging from the ceiling?

By the looks of it I do not think his wife knows he is in Phuket. Helmet and ducking the head? Why not just get out of the room when they get the camera out.

Whilst on holiday, you don't always have your wits about you e.g. drinking spree's with friends etc. and at that time you may let your guard down. I find it is best to have 2 separate accounts. One which is connected to the debit/ATM card which you keep only small money for day to day activities. The other on you keep your big cash. Any time you need money you go online and top up your ATM account from the big money account. Easy really and it means you don't have to be constantly worrying and on edge and thinking about these type of scammers.

Den

• Like 2

I find it is best to have 2 separate accounts. One which is connected to the debit/ATM card which you keep only small money for day to day activities. The other on you keep your big cash. Any time you need money you go online and top up your ATM account from the big money account. Easy really and it means you don't have to be constantly worrying and on edge and thinking about these type of scammers.

Den

Only way to go plus set a daily limit

When will the banks start using credit cards with micro-chips, or 3-D secure credit cards, where you will need to receive a code on your mobile phone, before you´can use your credit card. The tools to solve the problem exsists, but where is the will to do anything?? Thailand may be the most expensive country in the world to travel to, if you add all the money, that an average tourist will lose, due to various scams during the stay.

Don´t expect the bib to do anything about this problem (or any other problem), so you better stop using credit cards for money withdrawal in ATM machines in Thailand. Personally I always transfer money to a debet card, every time I need to withdraw any money and don´t carry more money on me, than I can afford to lose.

I find it is best to have 2 separate accounts. One which is connected to the debit/ATM card which you keep only small money for day to day activities. The other on you keep your big cash. Any time you need money you go online and top up your ATM account from the big money account. Easy really and it means you don't have to be constantly worrying and on edge and thinking about these type of scammers.

Den

Only way to go plus set a daily limit

Plus sign up for the SMS notifications when money leaves your account, or is deposited - 10 baht per month.

• Like 2

Plus sign up for the SMS notifications when money leaves your account, or is deposited - 10 baht per month.

That is the best 10 baht you can spend. Think it's 100 baht for the year. Personally I handed bank my bank card when I was skimmed. My wife pays for the above service on her card.

The ring leader is in Bangkok near NANA. Yes he is Russian too. But the thing on the skimmers is this they have to be close to atm that there skimming from. So if you see some Russian <removed> nearby with lap top don't use ATM.

If you have info kindly inform the authorities......

• Like 1

Used an ATM in Chiang Mai...next to a 7/11...then a few weeks later...cash withdrawals from the Ukraine started showing up...lost a few hundred dollars...could have been much more...bank reimbursed me...now will only use ATM in banks...

Do you? Russian gangster's appear to have kidnapped a fellow countryman, murdered and tortured him; having tried to kill his gf whilst attempting to extort money. This case, drunk Russians causing damage to temple and other property etc etc. Now this, on top of previous similar scams,

Not all crime carried out by Russians for sure; and they aren't the only nationality that has a problem with some of its nationals drinking too much. But, they are certainly raising their profile.

The Royal Thai Police are sleepwalking into a situation where the Russians will become untouchable. The level of violence they are prepared to use to get what they want is a whole world away from what the Thais understand.

• Like 1