Suthep says protests drag on far too long and need to end this month

webfact

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PDRC is not a political party. They are a movement. They have been central to the push for reform. After the passing of the amnesty bill, there was an enormous outburst of anger throughout the country. Suthep and the PDRC funneled that anger into a movement for reform. As a result of that sustained concentration the tide turned, and it is hard to imagine the events that followed without the PDRC. The Senate - seeing the populous anger throughout the country - rejected the amnesty bill. Yingluck dissolved parliament. Pheu Thai are no longer the administration. Without the PDRC, the Yingluck administration would likely still be functioning as a legislative power. Pheu Thai are instead in a stalemate. They've been in one for the last two months. So for people who want to know what the PDRC accomplished, that is what they accomplished. But the endgame was never going to be about the PDRC. It was going to be about the courts. It was going to be about the constitutional process. It was going to be about the judicial system and the independent agencies. They are taking centre stage, as they should.

I feel a 'movement' every time an amateur writes a condescending spin about complex political issues in Thailand.

And using only one paragraph doesn't make it any less smelly.

He's an expert.

A long time ago, in a far off galaxy, I heard an expert defined as: "Ex is something that has been, and a spurt is what happens when you put a drip under pressure!".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The PDRC is not a political party. They are a movement. They have been central to the push for reform. After the passing of the amnesty bill, there was an enormous outburst of anger throughout the country. Suthep and the PDRC funneled that anger into a movement for reform. As a result of that sustained concentration the tide turned, and it is hard to imagine the events that followed without the PDRC. The Senate - seeing the populous anger throughout the country - rejected the amnesty bill. Yingluck dissolved parliament. Pheu Thai are no longer the administration. Without the PDRC, the Yingluck administration would likely still be functioning as a legislative power. Pheu Thai are instead in a stalemate. They've been in one for the last two months. So for people who want to know what the PDRC accomplished, that is what they accomplished. But the endgame was never going to be about the PDRC. It was going to be about the courts. It was going to be about the constitutional process. It was going to be about the judicial system and the independent agencies. They are taking centre stage, as they should.

I'll say again - you mention the constitutional process - so aren't elections part of that process? Why block them?

Quite simple: The constituencies have been build up so, by the present Phue Thai (formally PPP -they got thrown out for electoral fraud- then TRT -which got thrown out for electoral fraud-) that they cannot lose, or hardly. The difference in popular vote last time when all parties joined was only 13%, this should have been a difference of 23 seats. In fact it turned out to be a difference of 126 seats, due to the illegal proces of dividing up the constituencies to work in their favour. This is why Suthep wants to change the WAY they vote and the seats handed out per constituency, so it is more fair. I am not a Suthep fan, but this bit of the story he's got right: we need to change some laws and the process of voting. If a party is declared defunct (as was done by the courts in the case of the PPP and the TRT) then they should not be able to just start under another name.

Is you question answered? There cannot be free and fair elections in this way, so this needs to be changed first.

Remind me - who was in government before the election in 2011? And who won that election?

You may need to check the changes in electoral distribution made in early 2011 and who exactly that benefited.

Also educational might be checking the 2 TRT executives who were accused of paying another party to run - and consequently the party was dissolved. In Jan 2014 the Appeals court overturned one conviction, and the other appeal is heard soon. If that is overturned it means that the TRT party was dissolved and it's members banned for 5 years on false convictions. Compensation for deprivation of their rights as citizens?

EDIT - also you should be a bit clearer whether you are talking about Constituency or Proportional seats - in proportional seats PTP won 15 more seats, because of the way the Constituency seats works that was 204 to 115. Hey, there's a lot of people in the North - do you believe in one man, one vote?

Totals 265 (53%) to PTP - 159 (31.8%) to DEM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Thai_elections#Preliminary_results

Edited by airconsult

Hopefully all the garbage and markets, tents and people will clear out of Lumpini Park, so ordinary people can enjoy it again, but I have my doubts.

Amen brother! I moved here in early December into an apartment in the Silom area. I loved walking in the park and getting away from dirty cement buildings, dirty people, and Bangkok filth. Now, it's not much better than walking down any Bangkok street.

Lumpini Park saddens me tremendously and detracts from the quality of my life in Bangkok. Seriously, it was the only place to go to get away from "Where you go?"sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Before Thailand can move on there have to be changes made. You can not build a new house on a rotten foundation. This means that there have to be reforms first. And when they start reforming they can take a start at bringing charges against any politician that was corrupt, from every party. Ban them from politics for life, not 5 years.

Clean this mess up and everybody will have a better life.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Before Thailand can move on there have to be changes made. You can not build a new house on a rotten foundation. This means that there have to be reforms first. And when they start reforming they can take a start at bringing charges against any politician that was corrupt, from every party. Ban them from politics for life, not 5 years.

Clean this mess up and everybody will have a better life.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Reform led by a corrupt politician like Suthep is hardly going to work! And to suggest that a country should be run by non-elected people is a corrupt idea in itself.

I agree with banning corrupt politicians for life, but as corruption exists in most countries it's wishful thinking that it can be totally eliminated. Politics is always going to attract the corrupt and many times they will succeed.

Why you don't go and live with your lover Suthep.....

With the PDRC the country will go down until nothing is left , your beloved PDRC is tearing the country down, and if it last two more months, it will take at least 5 years to recover the damage Your Suthep has caused !

You mention the constitution ones more, well, that constitution was written by the army , backed up by the Dems , Suthep and Abhisit, this constitution stinks, and has nothing to do with democracy.

• Like 2

well he has gone from 6m and ALL of Bangkok down to 30,000 and a Park coffee1.gif

Well, at least he has 30,000 more supporters than you have

I agree but infact the numbers in the park or in the street protests mean nothing, suthep seems to have support from all working people i know around bkk that have normal jobs and little or no time to join rallies or camp in the park,

Non of them see him as a future leader of any kind but rather the character which was needed to head this movement for reform before elections to bring thailand forward.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Listen....... can you hear that?

I think it's the sound of the penny finally dropping.

When you start using words like "war", "Battle" and "offensives" it sounds more and more like a Militant protest rather than a peaceful one.

He doesn't need a rally again, they're not as big as he's been claiming, he should accept the challenge of the TV debate with the right wing red nutjobs, and get his points across to the whole nation through the televised debate, and ask them to back his reforms, and if they all agree, as in the population, by holding a snap referendum, then he'll have done what he set out to do, but he still needs the courts to remove Yingluck, as he's not allowing the electorate to do it.

Sutheps says? or his powerful backers have said they've gone on for too long now?? wink.png

On march the 17th sutep vowed to protest until the end of the year if necessary.

What's happened?

Well let's just have one more final push!

What's the tally for final pushes?

Maybe the protesters want to go home for songran.

The main thing that I dont understand is that about 4 or more months ago when Suthep had Tonnes of willing followers, they marched through bangkok (within the first few weeks) and they "took-over" almost ALL the important buildings... They even took over the Pheu-Thai headquarters!!!

they had the whole lot in the palms of their hands!!!

and then they walked out and spent the next 3 months doing nothing in the streets!!!

since its illegal to block streets and he was already a wanted man,,, why did he not just forcibly take over when he had the chance ???

either way its all illegal. so why drag it out for months?

is he that dumb?

or is he in Cahoots with Yingluck (in some sort of absurd perverted plan)?

or is he only doing this for secondary motives?

was the sponsor money so great that he didnt wanna give it up?

this doesnt at all mean that I support Yingluck either!!

i just dont understand why he 'almost' had victory 4 months ago.. and then he backed down and did many months of time wasting on the streets... achieving nothing.

here comes yet another "victory" rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

I seem to remember that the "FINAL" push was back in the first week of December 2013, so much for believing anything that comes out of sutheps mouth whistling.gif

He really doesn't want to stop. These protests have made him a household name. He thrives on the attention.

His name has even become a new swear word.

Really?

Is that like - "Oops, I seem to have stepped in a Suthep?"

Or are we now officially renaming the "John"?

(Jokes - have a sense of humour some of you)

• Like 1