Near miss, again. What is going on?

rainyday

post-132877-0-28946400-1396360112_thumb.

Sometimes enough is enough.

I have that feeling driving around in Chiang Mai these days. Yesterday, Monday March 31st, I witnessed a “near miss” again. This time however, it is so explicit I do not want to keep it for myself. Amazing and scaring.

My wife and I headed back from Maerim to the city at around 08.00 pm. We’re on the motorbike approaching the intersection 1001 / 121. I feel and I see in my mirror a car speeding very fast behind us. I tell my wife “another crazy man”. He passes us about 50 m in front of the green traffic lights at a speed of at least 120kmh. This is car A. I am going 80. The very same moment a pickup ignores the red traffic lights coming from the left (East). He passes all cars waiting on his left for the red traffic lights and speeds up the crossing at least at 100kmh. This is car B.

Both cars now in the middle of the crossing at unreasonable speeds. Car A misses car B in the back by no more than 1 meter or maybe a hundredth of a second. A hit would have been disastrous resulting in many dead passengers in both cars A and B but also among the innocent people waiting in front of the red traffic light coming from Chiang Mai. Both cars A and B would have smashed into those waiting cars with a tremendous power.

I stopped on the other side of the crossing and it took me a few minutes to get over it. I will remember this flash the rest of my life.

This afternoon I saw a car overturned coming from Mae On. A few days ago and on the same road another car drove into the water 20 meters away from the road. Every single day I see the results (and I have many pictures) of bad driving I would never see in western countries.

What is going on with Thailand and the people? Their attitude starts making me sick; if you tell them about their mistakes, they ready to kill you.

Yup, it's not surprising that Thailand is ranked as the third-worst country in the world for accidents. The peak danger period is 7 to 8 p.m., according to an emergency-room nurse, who says alcohol is a major factor.

More carnage coming up on the roads in two weeks with Songkran.

been driving a car in thailand for 15 years 10 of them in chiang mai,and its very rare if any ive seen a accident on the roads,i no they do occour,like most countries,but may be im lucky or or unlucky as the case may be.not to see one.

been driving a car in thailand for 15 years 10 of them in chiang mai,and its very rare if any ive seen a accident on the roads,i no they do occour,like most countries,but may be im lucky or or unlucky as the case may be.not to see one.

True Blue you are one lucky guy.I think I have seen more accidents with motor bikes and cars in 5 years in CM than in 50 years driving in my home country.

Only a few weeks ago I was close behind an accident on the Ping River road from Hang Dong to CM. A car was stationary, on the wrong side of the road,front smashed in, and not one but 3 motor bikes were lying on the road or up against the concrete barrier,they had obviously been hit head on. A helmet was laying 20 m away totally crushed plus a bloodied shoe and a girl was screaming at the driver of the car.The bodies were motionless and I, frankly, and weakly, couldn't wait to get around the carnage. I saw one passer by on the phone, he was obviously calling for help.This was 4pm in the afternoon. Accidents seem to be accepted here in the but I would suggest the statistics would be frightening and one reason I now never drive to CM at night when the alcohol starts to flow and over Songkran the car stays in the driveway

I'm fortunate that I live in town and don't need to use the highways on a regular basis and that I drive a car. Personally, I wouldn't get on a bike if you paid me. The traffic is only going to get worse so the only options are to be even more vigilant and get more between you and the road.

During Songkran I would think that the majority of drivers are drunk after about 5pm. They start early.

2pm.

(Because you said 'majority'. If just 'a significant number' then that's 10-11am. ;) (As a lot of people get a head start in the villages before even driving into town to join the party) )

That's peculiar because I must have seen the aftermath of at least 50 accidents in the 15 years I've been here. I'm on the road every day though, so that might explain why.

I don't drive here. It is well documented and statistically proven that the roads are insane.

but instead you board a taxi with an unqualified, maybe just as crazy driver??

As the roads are dangrous here I feel the most safe when I am driving, not that I am the best driver but after having quality lessons and expeirence in my home country I feel that I am always a step ahead of them.

That's peculiar because I must have seen the aftermath of at least 50 accidents in the 15 years I've been here. I'm on the road every day though, so that might explain why.

No it doesn't. Its what Area you work in.

No it doesn't. Its what Area you work in.

I'm based in Chiang Mai city and I mainly travel within the Super Highway area, so that's actually only my experience within Chiang Mai city. I imagine the carnage is much worse on the outskirts.

Edited by Aceboy99

I am often up early going to play golf, about the same time many kids are being taken to school in minivans.

At the same crossroads referred to by the OP I see those minibuses/vans with the kids in jumping the lights on a regular basis whilst motorbikes and sometimes large lorries are jumping through from the left and right hand turns.

Seen a couple of minor accidents there, seen chalk marks on many occasions. No doubt it will not be long before a major calamity occurs.

TIT

Pffffft...cry baby...come and ride your motorbike in my village for a few hours...Phuket Town...and see how you go...

Useful contribution.

And what utility, dare I ask, does the OP provide?
He is trying to work things out in his mind, and you certainly aren't being helpful .

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Happens everywhere in asia. Saw two serious accidents here in Singapore yesterday. 1) a water truck plowed into the back of another truck. Front cab of the water truck totally crushed and the driver was still pinned in there and not looking to good. 2) 4 hours later; a motor cycle with its front wheel embedded halfway in the drivers side door of a sedan.

I see at least two accidents a month here, the majority involve a taxi or a motorbike, quite often both.

22 replies and nobody's noticed the OP was driving the wrong way down the road?

And on a lawnmower?

This place is a troll's paradise.

With all my respects taotoo but I worked about half an hour to get a decent map of the near miss situation. Software I don't know and I could not find a motorbike that's why I used a lawnmower.

I was clearly riding the good side of the road which is left. To another poster; when I am riding at 90 kmh and someone speeds next to me I know he is going much faster that I am.

You can joke and do what you want but I have witnessed a 1 meter disastrous near miss that could have costed easilyt 20 lives due to the stupidity and macho attitude of 2 crazy drivers. I still see it in front of me and it will stay in my mind for a very long time.

I would like to say some more things to you taotoo but it is better not to do that.

22 replies and nobody's noticed the OP was driving the wrong way down the road?

And on a lawnmower?

This place is a troll's paradise.

I was clearly riding the good side of the road which is left.

You were driving backwards then?

• Like 1

to Spoonman and Tatoo,

To both of you II have nothing to say anymore. What you both bringing up speaks for itself.

Oh wait, maybe this:

Drifting away of a sad reality by pinpointing to some inferior findings is not what one would call a "fine" behavior

I think you both are first class hypocrites. If there would have been 1 victim or 2 or 20... would your reaction have been the same?

I showed my wife your comments. Her reaction: "poor guys".

Next, comments on my English?