'Special Way' to end conflict possible, Thai Army Chief says

webfact

'Special Way' To End Conflict Possible, Army Chief Says

By Khaosod English

13964350271396435187l.jpg

Anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban receives donation during a rally in front of the Ministry of Finance, 2 April 2014

BANGKOK: -- The Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army has suggested that an unspecified "special way" might be needed to end the current political turmoil.

Gen. Prayuth Chan-Ocha made the comment after meeting with Gen. Thanasak Patimaprakorn, Chief of the Defence Force, at 1st Infantry Division in Bangkok this morning.

"Every Thai must return to be the order-loving Thais, not the do-whatever-I-want Thais," Gen. Prayuth said, offering advice to anti- and pro-government protesters alike, "Today we have to be the Thais who have order, respect the laws, and sacrifice our personal interests for the sake of the national interests, to ensure that the Nation, the Religion, and the Monarchy will be safe".

He continued, "No one would win if they keep fighting each other like this. We would all be in trouble. That is why we must find the solution, either by legal or special ways".

Gen. Prayuth did not elaborate, and his words are bound to be interpreted by pro-government critics as a tacit threat to launch a military coup against the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra; Gen. Prayuth has previously refused to rule out a possibility of a coup.

When asked about anti-government protesters' call for the army to "disobey" Ms. Yingluck and turn against her, Gen. Prayuth went silent for a while before replying that he could not provide an answer because it was a difficult question.

"Suppose you work in a company, and you decide to protest against the company owner," Gen. Prayuth asked the reporter instead, "Can you do that? If you don't agree with your supervisor, do you dare firing that person? If not, then you must do your duty. Whatever duty that has been entrusted to you, you must do it accordingly".

"I will not overtly criticise anyone, because I have to keep my status, so that I can work in every job," Gen. Prayuth insisted.

He similarly refused to say whether he agrees with the anti-government protesters' demand that Ms. Yingluck be replaced by an appointed Prime Minister, saying that he cannot side with either opinion.

When a reporter asked about the upcoming mass rally by the pro-government Redshirts on 5 April, Gen. Prayuth said things would be well if the demonstrators respect the laws, and he stressed that there is no plan to declare the martial laws to contain the protests.

The army chief also urged the anti-government protesters to refrain from any violent retaliation after their motorised convoy came under gunfire attack on the expressway yesterday.

"If the protesters spot the perpetrator, they should immediately inform the police," Gen. Prayuth, "Don't use any force in retaliation".

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1396435027&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-02

• Like 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The military have no right to meddle in politics. Who the hell does Prayuth think he is? By rights, this monster should be stripped of his rank for his continued threats to launch a coup.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He has never threatened to coup, in fact he has said it would not be the answer!

Though if the UDD and PDRC keep pushing he may very well have to, or would you prefer civil war?

• Like 2

["I will not overtly criticise anyone, because I have to keep my status, so that I can work in every job," Gen. Prayuth insisted."}

So, how would he characterise labelling the new UDD leader as a bandit?

• Like 2

As i said, even the Army is divided and they don't know yet what comes next.

They will fail again anyway.

The army is divided is it?

Well that is the first declaration I have heard anywhere.

Please furnish us with some specific news reports directing to this announcement.

Or are you just another armchair expert that knows everything that has not yet been announced in the media.

Maybe you should be a journalist with such powers to know everything that is going on behind closed doors.

The army in Thailand will never be divided, they are trained to uphold the interests of the nation, with the first duty to the King, the second duty to the people, and the third duty to the government, and that goes for every single person in the military.

Any dissent will be court Martial as it will be seen as going against his majesty the king, and that will NOT BE TOLERATED.

So dream on.

• Like 2

The military have no right to meddle in politics. Who the hell does Prayuth think he is? By rights, this monster should be stripped of his rank for his continued threats to launch a coup.

Stop over-reacting.....

What do you expect them to do if this weekend ends up in pure carnage????

Sit back and watch so you can come on here and criticize them for allowing it to happen?

Talk about naive.

I think he typed an extra "O" in his name as well

• Like 1

The perpetrator is in Dubai there General. Get to the point, stop delaying and get kick out PTP once and for all.

order INTERPOL to arrest him and bring him back to his beloved Thailand and loving supporters.

I am sure frizzie boppe, and a few others will be there to welcome him

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 1

the special way is just roll over and take it up the deriere again 5555 ,the ladyboy regiment will be called up for duty

why do you say that? Is your lady boy telling you things we should all know?

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 2

"Every Thai must return to be the order-loving Thais, not the do-whatever-I-want Thais," Gen. Prayuth said, offering advice to anti- and pro-government protesters alike, "Today we have to be the Thais who have order, respect the laws, and sacrifice our personal interests for the sake of the national interests, to ensure that the Nation, the Religion, and the Monarchy will be safe".

Was that address to the anti- government protesters that have caused so much damaged to Bangkok and Thailand a whole?

Why did he not say that before, but only after all of these months of protests and killings.

I, for one, hold you, Gen. Prayuth and the whole of the Armed Forces of Thailand responsible for your inaction in this matter, not to remove the protesters from all the Streets in Thailand (to protect the last election help on Feb 2nd) (which cost Thailand 3.2 Billion Baht or more) and get it back to what is used to be "The Land of Smiles"

The Thai Armed Forces failed to deliver on their "Oath" to keep the Nation safe.

Shame on you all, the so called "Thai Armed Forces" .

Please give us back "The Land of Smiles" wai.gif

the only thing you will be holding mate is your "own"

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

He has never threatened to coup, in fact he has said it would not be the answer!

Though if the UDD and PDRC keep pushing he may very well have to, or would you prefer civil war?

both sides need a coup so they can blame the army for the rice farmers not getting paid

Marcusd. Via tapatalk