Songkran in Chiang Mai - What day does it start?

FolkGuitar

Title says it... When will it be wet to walk downtown? I've been getting mixed answers from Thais so I figured I better ask the Farangs. Most of us seem to know when everything is happening... except me. When does the real water-throwing begin?

In town is not as bad as the villages, or so I hear. I generally reckon that it starts in a small way the weekend before the official days. In town they're generally quite good at finishing on the official finishing date.

So my guess, the 12th to the 16th.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

In town is not as bad as the villages, or so I hear. I generally reckon that it starts in a small way the weekend before the official days. In town they're generally quite good at finishing on the official finishing date.

13th (Sunday) -16th is the official days but will be no surprises for Saturday to have action so I agree with that. But also don't be surprised at some localized splashes even before Saturday. Complaints reports from last year showed the 11th (Thursday) some action.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632433-songkran-bah-humbug/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632446-songkran-water-drenching-loi-kroh-april-11/

13th (Sunday) -16th is the official days but will be no surprises for Saturday to have action so I agree with that. But also don't be surprised at some localized splashes even before Saturday. Complaints reports from last year showed the 11th (Thursday) some action.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632446-songkran-water-drenching-loi-kroh-april-11/

I rarely get wet other than by choice during Songkran. At this time of year I don't venture out much during the heat of the day so I continue with that schedule during Songkran. If I need to go out I have the car so no problems there . On any short walks between the car and my destination I have a " don't even think about it" glare that is usually quite effective.

I have been told by my wife that my grandkids want to hire a tuktuk and do a Thapae/ round the moat trip and that I'm their company so it looks like I may be getting wet this year. I have no problem with that. I'll be suitably attired and as such consider myself fair game.

My policy for Songkran is to stay out of the way, stay as dry as possible and avoid being a miserable party pooper. It's their new year so let them enjoy it.

• Like 2

It starts in some small (and easily avoidable) pockets in the afternoon on the 11th, but that's just around a couple bars on Loy Kroh near the moat. Not really anything major.

12 is the first full-on, city-wide day.

Then 13, 14 and 15 are too.

16 everything is back to normal, even though it's a compensation holiday. (It was a compensation holiday last year too, but nothing happened then too on the 16th. (I had a glimmer of hope then that 16 would be a bit of a water-after-party, but everything was back to normal.)

• Like 1

It starts in some small (and easily avoidable) pockets in the afternoon on the 11th, but that's just around a couple bars on Loy Kroh near the moat. Not really anything major.

12 is the first full-on, city-wide day.

Then 13, 14 and 15 are too.

16 everything is back to normal, even though it's a compensation holiday. (It was a compensation holiday last year too, but nothing happened then too on the 16th. (I had a glimmer of hope then that 16 would be a bit of a water-after-party, but everything was back to normal.)

Winnie hit it on the head. It starts the afternoon of the 11th and continues through 15 April. Everything is back to normal on the 16th.

I rarely get wet other than by choice during Songkran. At this time of year I don't venture out much during the heat of the day so I continue with that schedule during Songkran. If I need to go out I have the car so no problems there . On any short walks between the car and my destination I have a " don't even think about it" glare that is usually quite effective.

I have been told by my wife that my grandkids want to hire a tuktuk and do a Thapae/ round the moat trip and that I'm their company so it looks like I may be getting wet this year. I have no problem with that. I'll be suitably attired and as such consider myself fair game.

My policy for Songkran is to stay out of the way, stay as dry as possible and avoid being a miserable party pooper. It's their new year so let them enjoy it.

I'll second that Joe.

Goggles, ear plugs and anti bacterial scrub down when you get home.

Hope everyone enjoys the rat and urine infested officially unsafe water which has been known to cause skin rashes, eye infections and other things too. Its probably less safe than throwing your own home toilet water back in your face before you flush it!

Grumpy old git? You bet I am on Chiang Mai Moat Songkran events! Clean water in Thai Villages, like where I was last year, now that was safe, polite and very very charming, and I would do that anytime !

• Like 2

I'm thinking it could be a little more than small pockets of conflict on Friday afternoon. Being a weekend, especially if it is a hot day,

Of course drunken early birds spilling out of the girlie bars will exacerbate the heavy traffic on Kotchasarn, which may be already impassable near Thapae. Hard to tell how far the gridlock will extend? I'm counting on a Friday afternoon Airport Taxi from CNX to Nimmanhaemin. Confidence is high.

Locals drinking at small shopfronts' light splash assaults on passersby will cause a contact effect on independent travelers who tend to lodge in certain areas. Various groups could have a few Changs in them already and may escalate their response. Significant skirmishes likely to occur on lower Sois of Moonmuang and Prapokklao road. New visitors from PRC may not be aware of local custom, leading to cultural misunderstandings and extreme soaking. Proceed with caution if not properly waterproofed.

Edited by arunsakda

Following the report to day that water in the moat is way below the quality it should be (what a surprise) and could cause serious health problems, I trust you all have a great time

We'll simply Stay at Home during the Annual Lunacy. We may squirt each other and guests, who are brave enough to visit, with Water Pistols powered by Double Filtered, Alkaline Water.

Boring lot....but we stay healthy and avoid the idiots Farang and Thai who will make driving a greater Hazard than normal.

Funny thing but a squillion years ago, I wrote numerous Travel Stories and even produced some TV features, in which I sang the praises of Songkran and the fun-loving Thais and Visitors who attempt to drown each other. My teenage daughter waved one of my Newspaper stories about Songkran at me the other day and commented that "Daddy must have been Very Young when he wrote it."

It is funny how we let are min=ds narrow as we get older. That is past say around 60 years old possibly 65. I am 72 and will not be partaking of the festivities other than the occasional splash. But I still think it is a great holiday. Nice to see people having a blast with out having to be behind closed doors or drunk.

Unfortunately there will be some of the drunk ones who will be obnoxious but not that many in the over all picture.

Party on

I'll be out there, camera in hand to get some new photos of the phestivities... phun for all involved.

I may pack a piece just to give the occasional squirt to stimulate a better shot, but I'm not into throwing buckets.

Hey, you don't stop having fun because you get old. You get old because you stop having fun! Heck, I'm 67 going on 23!

• Like 1

I'll be out there, camera in hand to get some new photos of the phestivities... phun for all involved.

I may pack a piece just to give the occasional squirt to stimulate a better shot, but I'm not into throwing buckets.

Hey, you don't stop having fun because you get old. You get old because you stop having fun! Heck, I'm 67 going on 23!

Youngster

Youngster

And getting younger every day!

Now, if you need me, I can be found in my couch cushion fort, coloring and preparing my squirt gun for the upcoming games!

• Like 1

There were a bunch of loaded pickups delivering large green ice boxes to the venues in town last night.

The couple of venues I visited last night said they would start on the 11th, I recon you might start to see a bit of random water today.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Someone should explain it to the thai brains(mission impossible) that Songkran used to be a beautiful celebration but it has become an act of idiocy. The cops already banned the shooting of ice cold water and other retarded things incl the usage of pickups to splash water on everything that moves causing accidents etc but nothing works. Being dumb seems to be more important than anything else.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What time at night do they stop the water fight?

Historically it is supposed to end at 6:00PM, but of course there will always be some laggards who just don't care that someone is going shopping or dinner. But the vast majority will stop at 6.