Can a Thai be a Christian and a Buddhist

Donnievino

My fiance is a practicing and devout Buddhist but seems willing to become a Christian, as I am a practicing and devout Christian. I think the views on how you should live your life are very compatible however the views of the afterlife are different. Since Buddha was a man and not a God I feel comfortable with going to Buddhist temples with her and paying my respects to a great man/philosopher. I don't want or expect my Buddhist girlfriend to sever ties with her heritage and culture but just hope that she can be comfortable in accepting Christianity while maintaining many of those Buddhist beliefs that are important to her. What do you think?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone with an open mind can practice any number of religions at the same time, but if your idea is exclusivity to your religion, then your chances diminish. Many tenets of Buddhism are similar, if not the same as Christianity. By the way what version are you?

And because of the subject, you may want to change your name to Pandora.

It's an interesting question. I've heard of Jubus (pronounced "Jew-Boos") before but Christbuds not so much ...

JuBus -- Embracing Judaism and Buddhism

"I'm a healthy mosaic of Judaism and Buddhism," Lieberman told the LA Times. "Is that fair to either religion? Fair schmair! It's what I am."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Beliefs/Story?id=1914402&page=1

Edited by Jingthing

Being a good person needs no religion.

A very simplistic view of religion.

Some of us have secured our passage to the next life and it didn't come about by denying the higher authority.

Am I the only one that finds that statement smug and arrogant. Reminds me of way first class passengers look at the great unwashed as they walk by them to the cheap seats. I'd prefer a deity who doesn't reward that!

His statement proved me correct.

• Like 1

Replying to Can a Thai be a Christian and a Buddhist.

I see no reason why they can't have two Religeons,my Buddist wife quite happily joins in with Christian Church Ceremonies,and religeous events such as Easter,Christmas, Harvest Festivals etc.There is no pressure on her to do so!

As for your comment "Bhudda was a man and not a God" which has never been in dispute,and also it has never really been decided if Bhuddism is a "Religeon or a way of life"...certainly, Bhudda never claimed his way of life was a Religeon but more a Philosophy. It could also be argued that Jesus was also a man? and not a God, which has never been proven ,one way or another.

You could go agonising on your particular subject,and bring up deep rooted subject matter,which could be totally unecessary.Far better for Religions to accept each other,on a peaceful penetration basis,than violence and bloodshed! or accept they will never agree,and leave it at that. I don't see that either of you have a problem, unless you both choose to make it,more important than your relationship?

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 2

A very simplistic view of religion.

Some of us have secured our passage to the next life and it didn't come about by denying the higher authority.

Reminds me of way first class passengers look at the great unwashed as they walk by them to the cheap seats.

So what do you see in them you don't like about yourself?

Perhaps if they bathed more frequently they wouldn’t look at them like that….

• Like 1

I know a Thai lady who converted to Christianity--- early one Sunday morning in her village--there was about 2 hrs of "chatter " coming from loudspeakers somewhere -when asked what was all that about--she said -- and I quote---

That's the Temple telling everyone -- who - and how many baht they give to Temple this time---now you know why I want Christian blink.png

anyone else heard these " announcements" ? wai2.gif

• Like 1

If the OP's wife is a devout and practising Buddhist (although I think the use of the word 'devout' in relation to Buddhism is a misnomer) why would he want to convert her to Christianity? Has he no respect for her at all?

Because Christians believe, overtly or covertly, that Christianity is the ONLY true religion and, assuming he loves her, wants her to have salvation also.

Salvation? Salvation in his mind but what of hers? He fell inlove with her as she was now he wants her to make a major life change? Na that's wrong he wants to control her because the religion he practices tells him all other religions are false. That's far from love that's being brain washed and not knowing it.

If she is needy...good chance it will work though....until she has what she needs.

• Like 1

If it is a guy... depends on the religion of the girl...

I know a guy who has been a Christian, Buddhist, Taoist, Mormon, Church of Later Day Saints, Catholic, Shinto (he liked a Jap girl once)... and whatever else religion there might be...

Every time he changed religion, we expected another new girl to show up at dinner...

We only have one heaven and one hell, all the Saints are living together peacefully only human after eating the apple from eve knowing good and bad. There is no which one is better or on top only human give score to religion, God didn't asked for donation only human ask for it, God if you pray or scolded him , he still a God he didn't happy if you pray for him and angry if you curse him.

If you love your wife you will be happy to share with her your money, so I think religions are above material world that we possess.