temperature on long haul flights

beaufoy

I recently flew from BK to UAE. The temperature on the plane whilst at the airport was hot, and a lot of passengers complained, but the cabin crew said it was the airport generators fault and temperatures would be cooler after take off. Howrever, after take off it was still hot. I never saw anyone sick or collapse but the temperaturs 30+ would be uncomfortable for a healthy person, and could be worse for an unhealthy person.

I suspect the air conditioner (partly) broke down on the previous flight and the flight attendents knew the flight would stay hot after take off, but lied because telling the truth would have cause cancelation of flight and a lot of cost to the airline.

Are there rules to stop airlines flying with high temperatures and lack of oxygyn in the cabin, or can they do as they please

This is a common thing on airlines based in hot countries.

Really?

What countries and what airlines may I humbly ask you?

Edit

This is a common thing on airlines based in hot countries. - where do they fly around?

Edited by ravip

Well it depends on how the Crew Feel about it if you're flying TG.

Their staff seem to think their passengers are just so many sheep, even in First Class and ignore all requests to "cool things down."

Sure, some staff will give all manner of explanations as to the cause of the "warmth" but the end result is still going to be whatever Temp they feel comfortable with.

Hence, I have for years now, chosen to fly with Silk Air and Singapore Airlines wherever possible. CIVILIZATION!

Edited by Torrens54
  • Like 1

Amongst the factors that come into the equation are fuel saving; the amount of times cabin air is recirculated has an effect on that. I've long suspected that one reason it's done is to make passengers sleepy and life easier for the cabin crew. Like the poster above I've always found Singapore Airlines to have the best cabin temperatures, maybe that is because they actually have cabin crew who treat it as a job ?

Aircraft have 2 air conditioning systems..

One is a ground Aircon system the other kicks in when you are up in the air and rely's on the extremely cold temperatures found at 30'000ft.

When you are up at 30'000ft when it is -40 outside, aircon could be more aptly considered to be central heating!

• Like 1

This is a common thing on airlines based in hot countries.

Really?

What countries and what airlines may I humbly ask you?

Edit

This is a common thing on airlines based in hot countries. - where do they fly around?

I have experienced this on Thai Airways long haul flights on occasion and recently on Jetstar Asia.

Just done BKK to Dubai to LHR with Emirates. I found the cabin TOO COLD, as on previous journeys. And then wonder why they give all passengers a blanket. Turn the heat up a bit, and no blankets to carry = save money.

Just done BKK to Dubai to LHR with Emirates. I found the cabin TOO COLD, as on previous journeys. And then wonder why they give all passengers a blanket. Turn the heat up a bit, and no blankets to carry = save money.

But it costs money to turn the heat up, the cabin air is coming from outside the aircraft, where it was VERY cold, if you ever watch the external-temperature shown on the in-flight info-screen.

seems either I wrote badly or you all read badly. This was nothing to do with the flight attendents turning up the temperature so the passengers would sleep. The attendents admitted the temperature was very uncomfortable and blamed it on the ground equipment. Then after take off they admitted the plane had faulty air conditioning. Now agreed the air outside is cold so why is it hot if the air conditioning is broken. I can suggest the themostate was broken and stuck at maximum heat, but I suspect the temperature on the plane was way above the max setting on the thermostat. Maybe there is a boost heat control for when passengers complain about being cold, and said boost heat control is only put on for short periods, but on my plane the heaters got stuck on the high temp mode

Strange... why they distribute blankets whilst up there.

" it's done is to make passengers sleepy and life easier for the cabin crew."

WHAT sort of a flying tin tub would that be? - Jeeese people do make comments of this sort, don't they?

I wonder how often those flying tin tubs change tyres...

And do they use the toilet water for drinking?

Once it happened on Thai Airways and I was commenting to my friend beside that something was wrong.

After about 1 hour, the plane turned around and came back to BKK.

One hour, repairs done perfectly and we were comfortably flying back...

Apparently some issue with the cabin pressure system they announced.

You found it too hot, other passengers may have found it too cold on that particular flight...

They can't please ALL the passengers ALL time...

Very true I used to deal with passenger complaints and some pax can be too hot , others fine and some too cold depending on where you are sitting all on the same flight. Sensors within the cabin can be faulty indicating the cabin is too cold so the temperature is increased making it too hot in that area for example.

Jetstar does the same, but after everyone's BOUGHT a blanket, they crank the heat up.

Strange... why they distribute blankets whilst up there.

" it's done is to make passengers sleepy and life easier for the cabin crew."

WHAT sort of a flying tin tub would that be? - Jeeese people do make comments of this sort, don't they?

I wonder how often those flying tin tubs change tyres...

And do they use the toilet water for drinking?

Once it happened on Thai Airways and I was commenting to my friend beside that something was wrong.

After about 1 hour, the plane turned around and came back to BKK.

One hour, repairs done perfectly and we were comfortably flying back...

Apparently some issue with the cabin pressure system they announced.

Well let's face it, as an explanation its more likely than the cabin pressure fault you mentioned. If that was occurring with the same frequency then there would be so many flights returning to departure points no one would get anywhere.

Edited by roamer

Oman in October last was Cold on all Sectors

Etihad in December hot on some sectors cold on others

Oman in February just right all sectors

Horses for Courses.........some people will always moan whatever

I've often noticed that the cabin gets quite hot when the plane is standing on the ground. The ground power aircon does not seem to be as efficient as the engine driven systems.

Also, there are hot and cold spots on most airliners. Just take a slow walk the full length of the cabin and you'll feel the marked difference.

Perhaps because at-altitude the outside air is way-below-freezing, whereas on a tropical/Middle-Eastern concrete/tarmac airport parking-spot, it's often in the 40s or 50s ? It's the input-temperature, not just the A/C, that matters.

I recall sweltering while sitting on-the-ground in a Gulf-Air B737 transiting at Doha, with doors-open front-and-back for ventilation, and also a 3-hour sit at night on a Scanair charter-flight DC8 at Tenerife during an ATC go-slow, in the dim-and-distant.

Phew What-A-Scorcha, as 'The Sun' might put it ! rolleyes.gif