Do you have Bangkok bank account?

Yesterday I opened up a Bangkok bank account with a double entry tourist visa in my PP. My gf was with me and I made an initial deposit of 10k. They asked my gf to sign a 'Letter of reference' form. She signed blank and none of her details were filled out. I'm assuming that she will not have access to my account??

They issued me a new blue coloured 'Savings account passbook' with the 10k balance displayed. My name is printed under the account name but I did not have to sign inside the passbook. The bank guy signed it as 'Authorised signature'. Is the correct?

I asked them for a debit card and an ATM card. After paying 300b they issued me with a card that has VISA on it but its not displayed with Debit card as one might expect from cards issued from western countries. On the back of my card it has the 'Plus' symbol and 'BTB pool' ? Is this an ATM card or a debit card? Can I use this in oz? Can I use it online to pay for goods on thai websites etc?

i signed a form for internet banking and they said because Im on a tourist visa they have to send it to bangkok for a weeks delay. Im assuming this is normal?

Finally, do you have any large savings with them? CAn you recommend any product that gives an equitable rate of interest? I assume its best not to link this to my atm card?

thanks for your opinion

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bank account with BKB and all you describe sounds normal.

As it is a visa card you should be able to use it in Oz (although I can't think why you would want to).

There is absolutely no need to have your GF sign anything - they do this out of antiquated habit. BKB's online application forms are available in English and are all that you require. Local practice will contradict this.

I opened mine in a rural area and the clerk completed aThai version of the appication and ignored my pre-prepared forms completely!

• Like 1

Years ago, when opening my first account with BB I was required to have what they called guaranteers sign a form and note their phone number. That was done on a Non-O visa. Recent account openings required only a recent copy of my passport and permited to stay stamp. The BB Visa card you received is a debit card good for most purchases and ATM uses. I have done business with the same branch for many years and have had no problems except they speak very little english and most forms are in Thai. Once I learned to read Thai I realized the forms seem like standard bank forms.

I have Bangkok Bank accounts for more than 3 years now with a NO visa, and very please with the service. Even if I am not using this service, looks like is the right bank to get and send money overseas.

• Like 1

All sounds reasonable. Couldn't comment on your card without seeing it.

On the practice of signing the savings book that was the traditional way. Many banks now have moved to signing a separate card or piece of paper. This then gets scanned, so the savings book itself isn't always necessarily signed these days.

These are all things you should really have asked there and then with your bank, as practices do vary.

Cheers

Fletch :)

I suspect the gf had to sign as you are on a tourist visa and not a resident and they make a distinction. I never had to have a co-signer for any of my bank accounts but have a WP and annual extension. Also, never had to sign the passbook itself but a card that they file for signature verification.

Regarding Plus - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_%28interbank_network%29

OP: you sure you didn't sign the passbook? I have several Bangkok Bank accounts (last one opened Dec 13) and have always signed the last page...but after you sign it the page is removed...however, the signature is still really there on the passbook but can only be seen under the bank's special black light. Normally what will happen when you want to do a counter withdrawal they will take your passbook and put in under the black light at each counter window/desk which makes it show up as clear as day and they compare it to the signature on your passport. I've never heard of the "Authorized Signature" thing but maybe Bangkok Bank has made some recent changes in how they open accounts...but when I opened my latest account in Dec 13 I signed the passbook as described above just like my other Bangkok Bank accounts I have opened over the years at different branches.

I expect they had the GF sign the document just as a reference confirming you have a residence in Thailand. Unless her name is on the passbook and she signed her name in every place you signed documents, then that other document was just a reference document...she's not a joint account owner. If a joint account owner they would have offered her a debit card also.

Sounds like you got a Be1st debit card...the Bt300 would be the Bt100 entrance fee plus first year fee of Bt200. Look close as should have "debit" somewhere on it...but it won't have your name...common practice in Thailand...to get a card with your name on it you usually have to do a special order and wait a week or two to get it.

Don't worry about your savings in the bank if you practice safe banking...but do worry about you telling your GF the PIN for the debit card and she then utilizes it in a ATM without your permission. Also, she (anyone) could take the card to a store and make a purchase with it. Once again, normal for Thai debit cards. Guard your debit card and PIN like it was cash, precious jewels, etc.

Regarding the internet banking don't be surprised if its disapproved since you are only on a tourist visa...but you may get lucky because I do see posts of people getting internet banking with only a tourist visa/the 30 day permit to stay they got when arriving the Bangkok Airport. Usually you need a long stay visa/extension of stay or a work permit to get internet banking.

For more info go to the Bangkok Bank web site at this Link. The website is in English and Thai. Bangkok Bank's website is far better and more detailed than other Thai bank website. And the website has a page focused towards foreign customers to provide some basic info about banking in Thailand...here's the Link to that page....and be sure to download the booklet at that webpage called Expat Banking Booklet....it located in the upper right hand corner on that page...some really good general info in that booklet about Bangkok Bank products/services and just banking in general in Thailand regardless of the bank you have an account at because all banks in Thailand operate under Thai laws and Bank of Thailand regulations.

• Like 2

As per Pib above, I too signed a detachable page that displays signature under black light.

I was with them for 6 years but closed the account due to hassle with OTP. This is the one time password sent to your mobile phone when moving money via Internet banking. If uou change your sim as I did, the telephone number on the account can only be changed in Bangkok H.O. after waiting over 3 weeks I gave up waiting and closed the account.

Very long winded given todays technology, so I simply closed it.

Regarding your card, if it has a chip in it its a B1st card, can ONLY be used in B1st ATM machines if it has no chip, it can be used in ANY ATM.

Edited by CharlieH

Have the same card and oddly enough did use it at a 7-11 in Los Angeles one time fresh off the plane, had no problem. I used it to pay for a hot dog and coke and then out of curiosity walked over to the ATM and it worked there too.

Have also used it - once - on Amazon to purchase a gift and have it delivered in the states, and it worked - though the exchange rate employed by Amazon was horrible. If memory serves I also had to put in a stateside billing address and entered my old one - it was accepted.

• Like 1

Have the same card and oddly enough did use it at a 7-11 in Los Angeles one time fresh off the plane, had no problem. I used it to pay for a hot dog and coke and then out of curiosity walked over to the ATM and it worked there too.

Have also used it - once - on Amazon to purchase a gift and have it delivered in the states, and it worked - though the exchange rate employed by Amazon was horrible. If memory serves I also had to put in a stateside billing address and entered my old one - it was accepted.

Amazon does not employ exchange rates. The exchange rate you got was the Visa exchange rate "minus any card-issuing bank foreign transaction fee." Debit and credit cards use the Visa/Mastercard/American Express/Discover/etc., exchange rate minus any fees charged by the card-issuing bank...of course this assumes you don't accept a Dynamic Currency Conversion exchange rate an ATM or merchant may offer which is usually 3 to 4% below the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate. DCC very bad for the customer; DCC very good for the merchant/bank owning the ATM.

The card-issuing bank in this case was Bangkok Bank since it was their debit card and Bangkok Bank's foreign transaction fee is up to 2.5% for a foreign purchase/payment using the debit card and for a foreign ATM withdrawal using the debit card is a 100 baht (approx $3) flat fee. See below cut and paste from the Bangkok Bank website for the specific wording.

When making payments or withdrawing cash overseas with your Be1st Visa Debit card, the amount will be converted to Thai Baht based on Visa's normal exchange rates with a conversion charge added which will not exceed 2.5% of the exchange rate applied. Cash withdrawals will be charged a flat fee of 100Bt.
  • Like 1

As per Pib above, I too signed a detachable page that displays signature under black light.

I was with them for 6 years but closed the account due to hassle with OTP. This is the one time password sent to your mobile phone when moving money via Internet banking. If uou change your sim as I did, the telephone number on the account can only be changed in Bangkok H.O. after waiting over 3 weeks I gave up waiting and closed the account.

Regarding your card, if it has a chip in it its a B1st card, can ONLY be used in B1st ATM machines if it has no chip, it can be used in ANY ATM.

"Regarding your card, if it has a chip in it its a B1st card, can ONLY be used in B1st ATM machines if it has no chip, it can be used in ANY ATM."

Hey, what's with all the shouting? Anyway, along the lines of your statement...that's NOT correct, I have a Be1st card and it WILL work in ANY bank's ATM.

Edited by MMarlow
  • Like 1

"Regarding your card, if it has a chip in it its a B1st card, can ONLY be used in B1st ATM machines if it has no chip, it can be used in ANY ATM."

Hey, what's with all the shouting? Anyway, along the lines of your statement...that's NOT correct, I have a Be1st card and it WILL work in ANY bank's ATM.

Hmmmm!.....Whilst I will go along with the above post, BUT only after checking the BKK website, it does seem true!... however my local BKK bank advised me a BE1st will only work in BKK bank atms, how strange? and they should know! anyway I only use the Be1st in Thailand for my personal account, my other company Bangkok bank debit cards I know for certain I can use overseas, so I don't tempt fate

OP: you sure you didn't sign the passbook? I have several Bangkok Bank accounts (last one opened Dec 13) and have always signed the last page...but after you sign it the page is removed...however, the signature is still really there on the passbook but can only be seen under the bank's special black light. Normally what will happen when you want to do a counter withdrawal they will take your passbook and put in under the black light at each counter window/desk which makes it show up as clear as day and they compare it to the signature on your passport. I've never heard of the "Authorized Signature" thing but maybe Bangkok Bank has made some recent changes in how they open accounts...but when I opened my latest account in Dec 13 I signed the passbook as described above just like my other Bangkok Bank accounts I have opened over the years at different branches.

I expect they had the GF sign the document just as a reference confirming you have a residence in Thailand. Unless her name is on the passbook and she signed her name in every place you signed documents, then that other document was just a reference document...she's not a joint account owner. If a joint account owner they would have offered her a debit card also.

Sounds like you got a Be1st debit card...the Bt300 would be the Bt100 entrance fee plus first year fee of Bt200. Look close as should have "debit" somewhere on it...but it won't have your name...common practice in Thailand...to get a card with your name on it you usually have to do a special order and wait a week or two to get it.

Don't worry about your savings in the bank if you practice safe banking...but do worry about you telling your GF the PIN for the debit card and she then utilizes it in a ATM without your permission. Also, she (anyone) could take the card to a store and make a purchase with it. Once again, normal for Thai debit cards. Guard your debit card and PIN like it was cash, precious jewels, etc.

Regarding the internet banking don't be surprised if its disapproved since you are only on a tourist visa...but you may get lucky because I do see posts of people getting internet banking with only a tourist visa/the 30 day permit to stay they got when arriving the Bangkok Airport. Usually you need a long stay visa/extension of stay or a work permit to get internet banking.

For more info go to the Bangkok Bank web site at this Link. The website is in English and Thai. Bangkok Bank's website is far better and more detailed than other Thai bank website. And the website has a page focused towards foreign customers to provide some basic info about banking in Thailand...here's the Link to that page....and be sure to download the booklet at that webpage called Expat Banking Booklet....it located in the upper right hand corner on that page...some really good general info in that booklet about Bangkok Bank products/services and just banking in general in Thailand regardless of the bank you have an account at because all banks in Thailand operate under Thai laws and Bank of Thailand regulations.

yes, you are correct. I held up the back page and must have signed a detachable slip and clearly I have memory issues.

The card is Be1st and thus will test it at some of the ATMs. Thanks for the info

Hmmmm!.....Whilst I will go along with the above post, BUT only after checking the BKK website, it does seem true!... however my local BKK bank advised me a BE1st will only work in BKK bank atms, how strange? and they should know! anyway I only use the Be1st in Thailand for my personal account, my other company Bangkok bank debit cards I know for certain I can use overseas, so I don't tempt fate

If "Hmmmm" means I don't believe you, I don't really care. What I posted is a fact, I've had a Be1st card for years and it works in any atm. Maybe it doesn't have a chip in it, I don't know, but I do know what it is and which machines it works in.

If "Hmmmm" means I don't believe you, I don't really care. What I posted is a fact, I've had a Be1st card for years and it works in any atm. Maybe it doesn't have a chip in it, I don't know, but I do know what it is and which machines it works in.

When I got my Be1st card they gave me several options that could be activated so perhaps member's experience depends on what options they elected.

im rather astonished by the OP, are you so helpless that you could not have found all this out at the time?

I'm not at all astonished. If his branch is anything like mine, hardly anyone probably speaks a word of English or can understand the simplest question in any language other than Thai.

What astonishes me (and I live in a major tourist resort with a a largely English-speaking international clientele) is how few bank employees of any bank - and I've dealt with a number- know much English.

I would have thought a basic understanding at least of the most common banking terms and procedures would be obligatory for this kind of prestigious job - which, I understand, is only open to people with degrees or equivalent higher education qualifications.

Having said that, bank staff here seem generally far more polite, friendly and eager to help than those one typically encounters in the UK. The spirit is willing. . .

• Like 2

im rather astonished by the OP, are you so helpless that you could not have found all this out at the time?

I'm not at all astonished. If his branch is anything like mine, hardly anyone probably speaks a word of English or can understand the simplest question in any language other than Thai.

What astonishes me (and I live in a major tourist resort with a a largely English-speaking international clientele) is how few bank employees of any bank - and I've dealt with a number- know much English.

I would have thought a basic understanding at least of the most common banking terms and procedures would be obligatory for this kind of prestigious job - which, I understand, is only open to people with degrees or equivalent higher education qualifications.

Having said that, bank staff here seem generally far more polite, friendly and eager to help than those one typically encounters in the UK. The spirit is willing. . .

I prefer dealing with ATM's, cash deposit machines and bank book update machines.

Generally available 24/7, don't ask for my passport, don't have to line up behind some guy paying 40 bills at the counter, no bs mai me, mai dai....

Only downside they are not as cute.

There is absolutely no need to have your GF sign anything - they do this out of antiquated habit. BKB's online application forms are available in English and are all that you require. Local practice will contradict this.

I opened mine in a rural area and the clerk completed aThai version of the appication and ignored my pre-prepared forms completely!

BKB requires foreigners on a tourist visa to have an existing account holder sign as a reference.

A copy of their ID card or passport will be taken.

This is not required if you have a Non-imm-o VISA.

I hate Bangkok Bank.

I had savings account with them and credit card.

After several frustrating experiences (too many to list), I decided to switch to K Bank. I asked what the outstanding balance on my credit card was and had it canceled there and then. She cut the card in front of me. I wanted to withdraw all cash and close the savings account. They told me it was not possible to give me all my money as it had to pass BB main office and that would take a week. I politely protested until finally was sitting alone with the bank manager. She finally agreed to complete this for me and personally deliver the cash (around 50,000 Baht) to my office by 6 pm that day. She arrived at 5:45pm.

Banking here is screwed up in so many ways.

I set mine up on tourist visa in 2012, however besides my name, and local address, I fear they have no way to contact me about my account at all.

I tried calling BBL NYC last week 2 different days and no one answered the phone, it just rang and rang.

I was thinking I should give them my updated contact information, though, bit worried that there might be some downside for them reporting me to the IRS to track going forwards?

if something has changed since 2012?

They tried to issue me with a Be1st card when i opened an account. We went through all the procedure, then i was to leave, they handed me the pack and infomed me i could only use the card at BBBK banks, at the time i was moving to a town with no BBBK bank, I explained and they changed it to a regular card, with the visa logo.

Maybe go back and ask them to change it if you feel happier, i would be happier without a be1st card.

Also, you did well, I was told you needed a WP to get internet banking with BBBK.

I have had a Bangkok Bank Account for 20 years and I do not have any complaints. I have a B1st Debit/ATM card, If you look on the back there is an "ATM Pool" logo, this means that you can draw money at any commercial bank's ATM in Thailand. On the front there is a VISA logo, it does mean it is a credit card, it is a debit card and can be used in any ATM in the world displaying the VISA sign.

I set mine up on tourist visa in 2012, however besides my name, and local address, I fear they have no way to contact me about my account at all.

I tried calling BBL NYC last week 2 different days and no one answered the phone, it just rang and rang.

I was thinking I should give them my updated contact information, though, bit worried that there might be some downside for them reporting me to the IRS to track going forwards?

if something has changed since 2012?

The Bangkok Bank "New York" branch is really not going to be able to help you. They are a commercial/non-retail branch (no retail accounts...just corporate type accounts); you need to call your Bangkok Bank branch "in-Thailand" or the Bangkok Bank Call Center. Sure you can use the NY branch ACH routing number for funds transfers and some govt pension transfer info, but that's about it unless you are one of their commercial customers. Your bank account is with your "in-Thailand" branch; not the NY branch. But here's the NY branch contact info: Tel: (1-212) 422-8200. E-mail: [email protected]

But for your account in Thailand you really need to contact Bangkok Bank...see this Link...and a partial cut and paste is below.

Telephone banking – Bualuang Phone 1333

Our telephone banking service, Bualuang Phone, provides a full English-language option and is available 24/7 - simply dial 1333 or (66) 0-2645-5555 on your phone. Along with your PIN and Be1st card number, you can check your account balance, cancel lost or stolen cards, pay bills, buy and sell mutual fund units and transfer funds between your accounts among other services.

But if talking to the the New York branch I expect they would say you need to update your home address, phone number, etc., by contacting your in-Thailand branch. And if by chance when you left in 2012 and left less than 2000 baht in the account, after 12 months of no user account activity they will start charging a 50 baht/month account maintenance fee until the balance is down to zero and then they close the account. If 2,000 baht or more with no user account activity for 12 months they don't do anything. Thai banks don't report anything to the IRS (at least yet anyway)...that's totally up to you to be honest with Uncle Sam on your taxes for account interest earned, foreign accounts, etc.

• Like 1

previously, a woman did pick up the phone at the NYC branch, there is a "customer service" voice mail option, but I'm just curious, if I give them my contact information and it is US based, is it going to draw attention to the fact, that at the moment I have no visa for Thailand, and the some new US law, they must let the IRS know where I'm at, etc

am also curious, if there are minimums that must be on deposit, that might have changed over the years, or the account could get closed ?

my local bank requires at least $1000 deposit in checking in order to not get a monthly fee, I think I have had $20 only in the BBL account for 2 years +

am also curious, if there are minimums that must be on deposit, that might have changed over the years, or the account could get closed ?

Reread the last paragraph in post #25 for that answer.

Did all bank close the account automatically when there is less then 600 thb inside to take the yearly fees?

When it's failed account close on every bank or some not do?

My guess is if your account went into a negative balance/you owed the bank money due to annual fees on the ATM/debit card, the account would be frozen for withdrawals until you deposited enough funds to pay the debt owed the bank...and then if no user activity for 12 months they would close the account.

had a BB account for over 25 years, always good service and each time i need a new book sign the cards which are then placed in the back of the book,

Never had a thai go in with me, always have had a atm card an works everywhere ( but not good rates out of Thailand)