Posing as deaf foreigners in Pattaya caught on camera

balo

A while ago I read about the foreigners in Phuket that was caught on camera asking for donations and dropping a small card and keychains on every table inside restaurants.

Well they have arrived Pattaya , BIG C south pattaya , I spotted the same guy that was in the pictures in Phuket..

I was having my lunch inside the food court the other day when this man came and dropped the card and keychains on all the tables , then returning to pick it up a few minutes later. I took a picture of it , I also tried to take a picture of the guy when he picked it up but he noticed me and was walking away very quickly.

The card is written in both Thai and English and they're asking for 100 baht donations.

2014_03_18_18_08_47.jpg

Be interesting to know what would happen if one were to put the items in one's bag or pocket. Without doubting the veracity of what you say, Balo, how do you know they are "posing as" being deaf, rather than actually being deaf?

Be interesting to know what would happen if one were to put the items in one's bag or pocket. Without doubting the veracity of what you say, Balo, how do you know they are "posing as" being deaf, rather than actually being deaf?

It's the same guy and he is not deaf , he was observed talking wth someone on his cell phone in Phuket. I believe the man is Ukranian, you can find a big thread about it in the Phuket forum.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

He was in bangkok last week

Sent from my iPhone

I saw him in Big C Extra as well. He will have a nice surprise if he pulls this stunt on a plain clothes policeman who feels like doing something about it. Surprised he's made it this far.

It's the same guy and he is not deaf , he was observed talking wth someone on his cell phone in Phuket. I believe the man is Ukranian, you can find a big thread about it in the Phuket forum.

He's was caught by the Phuket police and after a photo op, a 2000 baht fine he was then released.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Couple of nice bottle openers for 100 baht!

20 baht each in many markets or "all for 20 baht" places xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

This must be good business , so maybe they earn 80 baht per customer, I am sure someone is stupid enough to give them money .

I saw him too when I ate in Fuji in Big C Extra - even made the remark to my mates that from the looks of his face he must be either russian or ukrainian... then something doesn't compute... how did he pay the ticket? either he's poor and stays home or has money and doesn't need to beg... work permit? one would think these beggars would be legit and allowed to beg, right?

He's was caught by the Phuket police and after a photo op, a 2000 baht fine he was then released.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2000 baht fine, what a joke, If not Thai then these sort of people should be handed over to immigration to sort out, clearly they should be deported as they have not enough funds to stay in Thailand.

Even working at a non-profit you need a work permit, so im amazed to hear they slapped him with a fine and let him go. He should have been deported.

this scam is going on all around the world bah.gif

Another one going around was when I was in subway on beach road and this Filipina girl comes in and drops some card on my table asking for a 100bht donation saying it’s for the children. I know she was Filipina from her accent and that she can speak proper English. I knew it was a scam as there were reports I herd from Chang Mai about Filipinos asking for donations which they pocket the cash. I told her no your wrong it’s not for the children it’s for your pocket, she just gave me a funny smile and left.

Edited by tyler214

Funny story and again Farang gets it wrong!

Lets see...

1: Key chain (Farang price): 20 bht (at fair).

2: Plastic card case (Farang Price): 10/15 bht (local stationary shop).

3: Card/paper stock (Tesco's Price per pack of A4 paper: ???? bht).

4: Then there is the computer to 'build' the card itself...

5: Then there is the printing and/or cost of printer and ink cartridges....

6: Total cost of each card... 300bht!

7: Donations of 100 bht... net loss of 200 bht!

A Thai would have done them for 10!

Lets see...

Is it possible that you replied to the wrong post? OMG, you're making things up that's unbelievable.Hope you're not teaching math...

I was having my lunch inside the food court the other day when this man came and dropped the card and keychains on all the tables , then returning to pick it up a few minutes later

Then returning to pick it up....guess also his card.(s)

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Next time he does this just take the opening and shove it in your bag and when he comes up just say

DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM ?

Just pocket everything: key chains, begging card whatever he drops on your table. And that's that.

And that would be the time the guy turns out to be genuinely disabled and everyone would have witnessed (and maybe on CCTV) the "horrible farang" throwing the deaf man's things across the room or pocketing them without a donation.

I wouldn't give him any money, but I would rather not even chance screwing around with someone who's disabled even if he's almost certainly a scammer.

I'll never forget the story John Robinson (who had no arms or legs) told:

abc_oncampus_robinson_091124_wn.jpg

Toward the end of his college career, John and two of his friends were waiting in line to exit a nightclub when a woman shouted at him, "If you would just get off your knees this line would move a lot faster!"

What to do then other than find a big hole to crawl in.

Edited by Suradit69

Lets see...

Gee, maybe the perp should keep the card for future use and only give the sucker the opener for the B100

Next time he does this just take the opening and shove it in your bag and when he comes up just say

DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM ?

Just pocket everything: key chains, begging card whatever he drops on your table. And that's that.

And that would be the time the guy turns out to be genuinely disabled and everyone would have witnessed (and maybe on CCTV) the "horrible farang" throwing the deaf man's things across the room or pocketing them without a donation.

I wouldn't give him any money, but I would rather not even chance screwing around with someone who's disabled even if he's almost certainly a scammer.

I'll never forget the story John Robinson (who had no arms or legs)

Well this guy looked very healthy and fit , he was almost running out of the mall when I got his attention .

They do not like to be taken pictures of , thats for sure. So if you see him again, take a few pictures and he will run like a chicken .

• Like 1

Yes true story, I was in the food court also.

I am getting my cards printed now, he got 200 baht in 5 minutes. From two Thai ladies, falungs would never give.

Maybe it is a thing about they like seeing poor falungs, and giving them money.

If it was a Thai beggar they would give 20 baht