Tourist Visa for Malaysia - US, UK, AUS passports (overland from Thailand.)

It could depend on where you are from, but 3 months visa on arrival at border... not a problem ...I would think Malaysian Gov website would list countries and requirements/ length of time, for each country.

You will need to get your License plate translated from Thai, and insurance .... There is an office on right side just after the customs...on Malay side, that will do that...at Sadeo at least, which is probably your best bet for crossing.... or the one close to that... not sure of the name of that one...

You could save time by getting your Thai plate translated at your local Thai MVB... it will also state which province you are from.

Be aware that on the main highway, there are many toll booths, so you need change to get through... some are a fair distance apart some are quite close together... especially around KL...

There are some good road side stopping places for toilet, and to eat etc along the way!

Try to avoid crossing the border on Sunday afternoon/ evening, there are usually huge line ups! w00t.gif

(for those on motor bike you can by pass the toll booths for free ! )

At gas stations you pay for gas in advance!

Edited by samuijimmy

It could depend on where you are from, but 3 months visa on arrival at border... not a problem ...I would think Malaysian Gov website would list countries and requirements/ length of time, for each country.

You will need to get your License plate translated from Thai, and insurance .... There is an office on right side just after the customs...on Malay side, that will do that...at Sadeo at least, which is probably your best bet for crossing.... or the one close to that... not sure of the name of that one...

You could save time by getting your Thai plate translated at your local Thai MVB... it will also state which province you are from.

Be aware that on the main highway, there are many toll booths, so you need change to get through... some are a fair distance apart some are quite close together... especially around KL...

There are some good road side stopping places for toilet, and to eat etc along the way!

Try to avoid crossing the border on Sunday afternoon/ evening, there are usually huge line ups! w00t.gif

Have car docs, number plates etc........ do you get vehicle insurance on the border? How much?

Have car docs, number plates etc........ do you get vehicle insurance on the border? How much?

The other one nearby is Padang Besar. I have crossed at both - Padang Besar to get into Malaysia and Sadao/Bukit Kayu Hitam (on the Malay side) driving back into Thailand. I think a vehicle registration certificate, which is a one page translation of the blue book is required BEFORE you arrive at the border. Make sure this document is requested from your nearest LTD office.

• Like 1

I have no idea for car insurance, as only done on my bike.... which was not that much.... if I remember it was good for three months....

Thai insurance is supposed to be OK, but they will tell you not.... perhaps someone may have better info on that, than I do!

The other one nearby is Padang Besar. I have crossed at both - Padang Besar to get into Malaysia and Sadao/Bukit Kayu Hitam (on the Malay side) driving back into Thailand. I think a vehicle registration certificate, which is a one page translation of the blue book is required BEFORE you arrive at the border. Make sure this document is requested from your nearest LTD office.

I have the translation doc already, came with the purple book and number plates.

Edited by wilcopops

I can only give you my experience from the other end of the country - walking through the border checkpoint between Singapore and Johor. It wasn't a whole lot different to the airport immigration checks - cursory look at my passport, stamped almost immediately and away I went to find a cab. They had little interest in my baggage - I guess there isn't much point smuggling expensive goodies from Sillypore into Malaysia. From memory, it was the same '60-days Peninsular Malaysia' stamp I get when I fly into Penang or KL - didn't take much notice as I caught a flight to BKK the following day.

90 days on enter for most people an 30 days for Asians

I

You also need a letter from the transport office which is a English letter of your BLue car book, They do NOT accept the Purple car passport which you use to take your car to laos.

Having crossed many times in the last 9 months with my car ( last trip was via Wang Prachun, a easy border) and drove to Penanag and Cameron highlands ( a shit hole) than acrosss to the east coast and coming back at Kota Bharau

Sadao can be more strict with ur window tint ( maximun 50%) while Wang Prachun ( near Satun) could care less, its 100 km less to Penang but takes the same time. becasue from the border to Alor Star your driving thru small towns not on the toilway

Insurance at border in Sadao was 800 baht ( 30 days minumum) for my honda civic, Do paperwork an buy insurance on the right hand side right PAST customs.1,000 at Wang Prachun ( you buy insurance an do all paperwork on the thai side about 50 meters before immigration on right hand side,

Make sure u have MYR with you for tolls

I have also entered thailand at Betong an the drive up to Yalla is really nice

NOT all gas stations require you to pay in advance, many will force you to buy 97 octain but some will allow u to buy 95 ( at only 21 baht./lt)

very easy to drvie in Malaysia

Edited by phuketrichard

^ agree with most of that.... seems cheap for the insurance, for car, I cannot remember for sure now, but probably the same for bike... wink.png

Except not about the comment on the Cameron Highlands, but different strokes for different folks ! tongue.png I would do that area again! thumbsup.gif

The east coast a bit boring for most part.... Kota Bharu is not really that interesting either....

Malaysians are friendly and helpful though ... thumbsup.gif

I

You also need a letter from the transport office which is a English letter of your BLue car book, They do NOT accept the Purple car passport which you use to take your car to laos.

Having crossed many times in the last 9 months with my car ( last trip was via Wang Prachun, a easy border) and drove to Penanag and Cameron highlands ( a shit hole) than acrosss to the east coast and coming back at Kota Bharau

Sadao can be more strict with ur window tint ( maximun 50%) while Wang Prachun ( near Satun) could care less, its 100 km less to Penang but takes the same time. becasue from the border to Alor Star your driving thru small towns not on the toilway

Insurance at border in Sadao was 800 baht ( 30 days minumum) for my honda civic, Do paperwork an buy insurance on the right hand side right PAST customs.1,000 at Wang Prachun ( you buy insurance an do all paperwork on the thai side about 50 meters before immigration on right hand side,

NOT all gas stations require you to pay in advance, many will force you to buy 97 octain but some will allow u to buy 95 ( at only 21 baht./lt)

"I have the translation doc already, came with the purple book and number plates."

I have no tint on my windows.

When were u last in cameron higlands??

CH is full ( even on a weekday) an the small winding road is packed, the hills have been taken over by strawberry plantations and the hotels are overpriced.

it has been set up for the chinese/Malay tourists

how many strawberry plantations do u really want to visit?

Been told 10 year or more ago there were none, only the tea plantations.

I have the translation doc already, came with the purple book and number plates.

The purple book isn't required for Malaysia, but bring it anyway if you already have it along with the translation doc. The purple book is basically only required by Laos - conversely a yellow book is issued by Laos for Lao cars to enter Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and southern China.

I

I have been told that max. window tint to enter Malaysia is 60% not 50%, which is apparently the maximum allowed by law in Thailand and what I have. When I drive to Malaysia with my car in the near future, I expect to be able to enter because I have been told that my window tint is within what is permitted by law in Thailand and in any case, it's not particularly dark. I drive regularly at night and can see quite well, shortsightedness not withstanding (well I wear glasses anyway).

Not sure how it works in SEA, but in Oz the window tint regs have little to do with whether you can see OUT of the windows - it's whether LEA can see *in*. They have no idea if you and 3 of your buddies are armed to the teeth when they pull you over - our cops dont usually do the 'hands on the steering wheel and step out of the car' thing when they pull someone over.

Not sure how the Limo companies get around the ruling, but I recall being decidedly underwhelmed with the 'darkest legal tint' on two cars I owned in QLD, particularly when many others on the road clearly werent constrained by said regs.

max tint for malaysia is 50%

1st time i went ( Sadao) lady offical said to dark and where is my insurance and I asked her where to buy , she told me not bother as my windows are to dark. anyway i found the shop and came back, she was gone, but a guy was there, said to dark, I told him i already paid for insurance. He got his little hand held machine and showed me 58%, i told him i would take off, he said where, i said down the road,

followed him back to the office an waited about 10 minutes an than he said "you do it" and i said yes, and he did my paper work.

if u get the lady there, forget it ( at Sadao)!!

now i re-did my 2 front windows 40%..if u go at Wang Prachan ( near Satun) they dont care cause all the paper work is done IN Thailand.