Cruel or irresponsible and stupid Songkran jerks?

willyumiii

'Hey, I am good natured', says the OP.

If you were good-natured you would have never posted what you have.

It never ceases to shock me how readily westeners advertise themselves

without a tiny speck of objectivity. & yet they're lightning-quick to find

fault with others who don't match their preconceptions ... & not just to

find fault, but to freely insult as well.

What ever names you may call others, that is surely what you yourself are.

'without a tiny spec of objectivity' - how is that possible? in trying to sound clever you look like a complete fool

he didnt insult anyone. he suggested that the act of reckless physical assault is cruel irresponsible and stupid. but obviously you think that to point this out is somehow a bad thing to do.

'oh don't be a kill joy, just because some idiot throughts a bucket of ice water in people faces whilst ridings motorbikes'

• Like 2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stay away form the majority of Westerners during Songkran and I reckon you'll have a blast.

Thai folk 'play Songkran', many Westerns just think that the object to get the other person/people wet,

they treat it as a contest ... not a game.

I still have vivid memories of this one guy who actually hired a small water tanker, sat atop and had small diameter

fire hose drenching everyone.

Was a D***head in Pattaya.

I enjoy Pattaya, but avoid it like the plague round these times.

A mate of mine and another mate of his commandeered a fire truck in Pattaya years ago.Got in the p#* for it but reckoned it was worth it.

I had an incident 7 years ago in Pattaya where a farang woman tipped a full bucket of water over my head as I was talking on the phone

and it cost me 8000 baht.Not impressed.

Edited by Ron19

Just stay away form the majority of Westerners during Songkran and I reckon you'll have a blast.

Thai folk 'play Songkran', many Westerns just think that the object to get the other person/people wet,

they treat it as a contest ... not a game.

I take it you haven't spent many Songkrans in Thailand.

The term bring your own whiskey and homemade machete could well sum up many Thai towns during Songran.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/548283-3-murders-as-songkran-in-thailand-turns-ugly/

"Three vicious murders marred Songkran celebrations in separate incidents around the country yesterday.

In one, a 58-year-old man in Chumphon was clubbed to death by a drunken reveller for objecting to being drenched with water.

In another case in Bangkok, an underage member of an illegal motorcycle gang was shot dead and four others wounded when a rival gang opened fire after a Silom Road water fight turned deadly.

And in Satun, a man knifed a drunken reveller to death for allegedly molesting his sister during a water fight."

And that was just one day, Thais clubbed to death, knifed to death, shot to death.

Watch the Channel 3 or 7 news during Songkran and you'll see videos of Thais attacking each other with clubs, machetes and any other weapons that were close to hand.

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 1

Tried to edit the missing space in the title of this thread, but I can't do it!

Maybe I'm stupid too?

But not irresponsible.....I tried to fix it twice!

If you think that makes you stupid, I dread to think what I am...................I can't even see where there is a missing space in the title.

Next week we all can read how many accidents occured during this idiot performance again...but...no blame...there is no brain.

I know some one who almost lost an eye, many years ago...still suffering.

And for those who celebrate Songkran still in the traditional way: enjoy it...and happy days!

so why do you (OP) carry your passport around with you. Yes i know it is a law. but i personally dont know anyone that does. and in the 20 years ive lived here i never have. the way i look at it if a police man ever asked my for my passport (and they havent in the past 20 years) then i would rather pay a small fine that risk carry my passport around with me thus risking losing it.

maybe - as you say yourself - you are stupid. anyone that adheres to ridiculous laws is obviously - well a bit stupid.

re. Songkran. think of it this way. there are aprrox 4% nut jobs and sociopaths in society. songkran is the time when they get to show themselves to the rest of the population. 96% of the public behave as normal human beings should.

If you do not agree with a law, then just don't obey it, that has always been my philosophy. But just be sure you are not harming anyone.

'without a tiny spec of objectivity' - how is that possible? in trying to sound clever you look like a complete fool

he didnt insult anyone. he suggested that the act of reckless physical assault is cruel irresponsible and stupid. but obviously you think that to point this out is somehow a bad thing to do.

'oh don't be a kill joy, just because some idiot throughts a bucket of ice water in people faces whilst ridings motorbikes'

Jones:

I meant to address the OP.

I don't intend to sound clever; I'd rather BE clever, but i'm not.

What people see in others is almost always a mere reflection of themselves.

In calling people 'jerks', 'stupid' and so on, the OP is describing, inadvertedly,

his own self. If he wasn't himself a 'jerk' he would have no understanding of

what a 'jerk' is like.

In accusing me of trying to 'sound clever' you prove yourself guilty of that

very same offense (not all the time, of course, but under the 'proper'

circumstances).

The topic of the thread at hand is perfectly valid, but a genuinely 'good natured'

chap would have worded the OP quite differently ... perhaps as a warning; perhaps

telling newbies to watch out for malicious revellers during the upcoming festivities;

to be mindful of the fact that being farang might easily make them the target of

overly zealous little boys; advising them that if they wanted to take in the elderly,

gently pouring water over their shoulders is the way to do it; to keep an eye out

for 'projectiles' coming their way; above all, to be utterly respectful of the Thais &

keep in mind that Songkran is but a game, meant to be fun for all, not a competition

or an opportunity for freely assaulting people.

Why is it that one finds so little in the way of morally encouraging posts? and so

much, much too much, in the way of reproaching, name-calling, venting out pent

up frustrations, abusing, judging individuals while knowing nothing about the actual

facts (we've all grown up enough to know that pretty much 90% of what one reads or

hears on the news, TVF included, is false), disparaging, & the such?

On a final note, i don't quite understand what you say about 'not a speck of objectivity'.

What i meant to say is that the one person i am the least likely to judge correctly &

objectively is myself. When it comes to my own shortcomings, i am as blind as a bat.

When i claim that 'i am good', i am but lying (to myself & others).

Cheers

• Like 1

Deliberately targetting motorcys that are under way beggars belief.

I stay at home all day uttering "Bah Humbug" while counting the sirens...

I'll be with you, although I have to say I enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching the very young kids getting more water on themselves than anyone else when they try to throw water. No way I want dirty moat water on me.

I used to stock up on food and milk for the whole 5 days, but on an emergency outing in our 2nd year here discovered that if you go to the market early and have shopping with you, the Thai's leave you alone and the rest are still sleeping the previous day off so no problems.

I remember a few years back a guy was telling me he was out having a meal with his Thai girlfriend, they were sitting outside of the restaurant at about 9pm when a Thai guy ran up and super soaked their meal, ruining it. I asked the guy, "What did you do?" he said he stood up and belted him in the mouth. True or not I don't know, I don't see why he would make up a story like that. Fun is fun but you have to draw the line somewhere I guess, I wouldn't be too happy either.

The tourists are the worst.

They don't have a clue it ends at sundown and they don't have any respect for who they are soaking.

I'm a photographer and my first Songkran soaking a Thai told me to let her hold my camera and then her friend poured a bucket of water over my head. She then passed my camera back to me. A block later a tourist dumped a bucket all over the camera, when I said what the hell, that cost a lot of money he didn't have an ounce of logic or sympathy..

Drink fuelled farangs on Songkran is not a very good scenerio.drink filled sex mongers even worse.They think its a good excuse to shoot girls between the legs and their breasts,even touch them,as if its ok on Songkran

"shoot girls between their legs"...just trying to cool down those hot mamas....

Well..... Gonna be my 1st Songkran and I'm already cooled down reading all that saai.gif

My wife though told me it was awful and no way she's gonna be out then 555

I'll be in Bangkok, any places to check (I'd rather go in the morning) and any others to avoid at all cost ?

(already planned not to go to Khaosan...)

These are people who throw huge buckets of water at a moving motorbike and then laugh when the bike loses control and crashes. They don't think of the consequences of throwing water with chunks of ice in it.

To them EVERYTHING is funny. This has to be the dumbest time of the year.

• Like 1

Songkran for a day or two is fine. Obiviously throwing ice is stupid. Also jetting people in the eyes when driving a bike especially.

Just avoid tourist areas. I will take the kids to town for the day. Play songkran then home.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Jones:

I meant to address the OP.

I don't intend to sound clever; I'd rather BE clever, but i'm not.

What people see in others is almost always a mere reflection of themselves.

In calling people 'jerks', 'stupid' and so on, the OP is describing, inadvertedly,

his own self. If he wasn't himself a 'jerk' he would have no understanding of

what a 'jerk' is like.

In accusing me of trying to 'sound clever' you prove yourself guilty of that

very same offense (not all the time, of course, but under the 'proper'

circumstances).

The topic of the thread at hand is perfectly valid, but a genuinely 'good natured'

chap would have worded the OP quite differently ... perhaps as a warning; perhaps

telling newbies to watch out for malicious revellers during the upcoming festivities;

to be mindful of the fact that being farang might easily make them the target of

overly zealous little boys; advising them that if they wanted to take in the elderly,

gently pouring water over their shoulders is the way to do it; to keep an eye out

for 'projectiles' coming their way; above all, to be utterly respectful of the Thais &

keep in mind that Songkran is but a game, meant to be fun for all, not a competition

or an opportunity for freely assaulting people.

Why is it that one finds so little in the way of morally encouraging posts? and so

much, much too much, in the way of reproaching, name-calling, venting out pent

up frustrations, abusing, judging individuals while knowing nothing about the actual

facts (we've all grown up enough to know that pretty much 90% of what one reads or

hears on the news, TVF included, is false), disparaging, & the such?

On a final note, i don't quite understand what you say about 'not a speck of objectivity'.

What i meant to say is that the one person i am the least likely to judge correctly &

objectively is myself. When it comes to my own shortcomings, i am as blind as a bat.

When i claim that 'i am good', i am but lying (to myself & others).

Cheers

are you really so ignorant that your criticise others for calling people when doing exactly that yourself. surely nobody can be so stupid. you must be joikng - right!

ps it is impossible to judge oneself objectively. what ever you see or observe is always subjective to you. you really need to go back to school before you start trying to sound clever.

Edited by jonesthebaker

Does anyone know if Saturday will see everyone chucking water all over the place or does it start on Sunday?

I just want to be prepared...

Different days in different areas unfortunately.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Deliberately targetting motorcys that are under way beggars belief.

I stay at home all day uttering "Bah Humbug" while counting the sirens...

My major Songkran hate too.

Years ago had a local run out onto a major 6 lane highway and hurl a bucket of water in my face. Absolute cretin.

Cost me a 12,000 bht pair of prescription sunglasses that were knocked off and smashed.

Lesson learned was to wear a full-face and not open-face helmet.

willyumiii, on 08 Apr 2014 - 14:13, said:

Tried to edit the missing space in the title of this thread, but I can't do it!

Maybe I'm stupid too?

But not irresponsible.....I tried to fix it twice!

Just press the Report Button on the bottom of your post and ask an Admin or Mod to correct it for you.

Win thumbsup.gif