Cheapest Charlie

ZigZagMan

Some are taking the cheap charlie thing to extremes.

Reading the forum the other day of a fellow that smuggles his own bottle of drinking water into the Hilton Hotel buffet.

Not only that but he goes to the drinking water dispenser at the Bic C food court to fill his bottles up, free.

I realize that some living here are on pension or limited income and must keep the cost of living expenses in check..... but... eating at the Hilton... and smuggling in stolen drinking water?

Now is that taking the cheap charlie act too far?

Do you know anybody cheaper than that?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've found that it's the Thai Chinese that take this to extremes and they are usually well off.

My Landlady who was a Judge and married to the Thong Lor Police Chief wore one dress and the other one was always out drying. She came to congratulate me on the birth of a daughter and put up my water bill by 500 baht as we'd be using more. She'd collect my wastepaper and sell it out on the street and she owned property worth at least 1 billion baht, probably a lot more.

I've found that it's the Thai Chinese that take this to extremes and they are usually well off.

My Landlady who was a Judge and married to the Thong Lor Police Chief wore one dress and the other one was always out drying. She came to congratulate me on the birth of a daughter and put up my water bill by 500 baht as we'd be using more. She'd collect my wastepaper and sell it out on the street and she owned property worth at least 1 billion baht, probably a lot more.

Just goes to show, the cheap charlies are the clever ones.biggrin.png

Yep...my land lady here in Phuket is the same she owns at least 5 million (USD) worth of appartment blocks and other commercial buildings in my suburb (just what I know of because I see her collecting her rents). She wears an old cotton moo moo, and her husband rides a 30 year old honda dream...no shirt...shorts and blue flip flops...

But frugality didn't make her fortune. Her great grand father was one of the original tin miners here on the Island...

I often take my own water in to bars and other high end venues. Why. I purchase 20 litre bottles for 12 baht. Why the <removed> do I want to pay 20 or 30 baht for 500ml here in Phuket.

For the service, the A/C, and other running expenses the bar has? It is a business, not some NGO. You'd do this stuff in my hotel and I'd whack you with a 5 Dollar corkage fee.

Had this coupe staying at the hotel that demanded that the Chef heat their ready-made curry and that the staff served it to them. They squealed when I charged them USD 20,00 for the pleasure.

Had another couple demand that they can bring their own ingredients and cook their food themselves in our kitchen. I am afraid they did not get a room......

I often take my own water in to bars and other high end venues. Why. I purchase 20 litre bottles for 12 baht. Why the <removed> do I want to pay 20 or 30 baht for 500ml here in Phuket.

For the service, the A/C, and other running expenses the bar has? It is a business, not some NGO. You'd do this stuff in my hotel and I'd whack you with a 5 Dollar corkage fee.

Had this coupe staying at the hotel that demanded that the Chef heat their ready-made curry and that the staff served it to them. They squealed when I charged them USD 20,00 for the pleasure.

Had another couple demand that they can bring their own ingredients and cook their food themselves in our kitchen. I am afraid they did not get a room......

That is the beauty of Thailand. Tin pot hotels and restaurants like yours are a dime a dozen. If I get any sort of grief whatsoever...I go elsewhere...for good. You are just another boring Farang run hole in the wall...you business has No USP...other than your own misguided image of how important you are...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That is the beauty of Thailand. Tin pot hotels and restaurants like yours are a dime a dozen. If I get any sort of grief whatsoever...I go elsewhere...for good. You are just another boring Farang run hole in the wall...you business has No USP...other than your own misguided image of how important you are...

Try it in one of your 5 star hotels and see how far you get.

I think Hanno has it right on all counts with his examples. I also think your comments are based on someone who has no idea how hotel business is run.

Anyway, I've always found that carrying around 20 liter water bottles both a give away and a hindrance if you decide to do a runner in case you have to pay for the complimentary peanuts..............tongue.png

Hit a sore spot there, have I? Because I work in a 5-star, 130-room "tin pot" hotel that you obviously could not afford.

When you go and see a doctor, do you take your own medicine? When you do stay in a hotel, do you take your own bed?

I do not understand the logic of people like you, but then we luckily have better educated and behaved people than that.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Try it in one of your 5 star hotels and see how far you get.

I think Hanno has it right on all counts with his examples. I also think your comments are based on someone who has no idea how hotel business is run.

Anyway, I've always found that carrying around 20 liter water bottles both a give away and a hindrance if you decide to do a runner in case you have to pay for the complimentary peanuts..............tongue.png

Maybe it's wheeled in?

Edited by metisdead
15) Do not make changes to quoted material that changes the intended meaning of the quoted post

Huh? So you'd bring your own food into a restaurant, and ask it to be reheated and served? Or you'd go grocery shopping, then demand to use the restaurant's kitchen, because you don't want to pay menu prices?

Really?

When I hear stories like that, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry. Couldn't imagine showing up in a restaurant, getting seated, refusing the menus, then pulling out some tupperware, handing it to the waitress while explaining I'd like that reheated and served on proper plates please. That's something a comedy TV show would do as a prank, not normal people.

Edited by Nautilus05

WOW, what a great class of balloon chasers Thailand is attracting.

To ZigZagMan, I'll have to agree. I do shake my head at the extremes I am witness to when other people go to such extremes.

As long as it is not in my face or presenting an obstruction to my daily agenda, then I simply toss it off as some kind of mental issue (i.e. hoarding), and then move on.

These are simply reminders to me that I, despite my own character defects, haven't slipped too far down that slippery slope of existence.

Cheers.

I knew someone who would refill a 2 litre water bottle everyday at the school he worked at to save himself 10 baht for a 20 litre bottle.

Local folk would too.....................coffee1.gif

Absolutely, if you really want to know how Thai's value 1 baht..... just be observant.

Why be concerned what other folk do. rolleyes.gif

My wife buys me second hand T-shirts in the market which have farang labels on the collar, why, cos they are good quality and fit me. A wash and iron then me thumbsup.gif .

Now you can tell all that Trans is a cheap charlie................laugh.png

Yes, But are you a grumpy old bugger too?

Nothing wrong with frugality. A Chinese-Thai woman claiming to own first house in Bangkok I ever rented in Bangkok tried to sell me a lease. When I found out she was just a previous tenant, she stripped the house, including not only the light bulbs but their fittings too, and the custom fly screens on the windows. She'd have taken the panes too if she'd had a glass cutter, the old <deleted>.

Hit a sore spot there, have I? Because I work in a 5-star, 130-room "tin pot" hotel that you obviously could not afford.

When you go and see a doctor, do you take your own medicine? When you do stay in a hotel, do you take your own bed?

I do not understand the logic of people like you, but then we luckily have better educated and behaved people than that.

What kind of 5 star hotel attracts people that want to cook their own food ?

What kind of 5 star hotel attracts people that want to cook their own food ?

That sort of stuff tends to happen with certain nationalities that don't mind forging out for a room but then want everything else free. A generalization, I know, but after 30 years of working in hotels I do allow myself that generalization.

Well good luck in getting a Hilton to let you cook your own meals in their kitchen or any restaurant letting you bring your own food and asking you to heat and serve it for free. It costs money to hire staff, pay for gas/electricity, wash dishes, take up table space, pay rent. If you have a restaurant, bar, hotel, please share the address so we can all come and enjoy for free.

You should bring in your own alcohol as well. Much cheaper. Why would you want to pay the inflated prices bar charge when you can just drag in a carrier bag full of 7-11 bought drink? Also you'll look really classy carrying around bottles in order to save 20 baht or so. And you won't look like you've misunderstood how bars and restaurants make money at all either.

You won the Cheap Charley of the Year award on TV and if I would be a bar, restaurant or hotel owner I would kick you out as quickly you came in.