FBI to aid Thai police in criminal profiling

webfact

FBI to aid Thai police in criminal profiling
The Nation

30231219-01_big.jpg?1397087266712

BANGKOK: -- Thai police and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation have held discussions over the establishment of modern investigation guidelines for criminal profiling in Thailand, with the child serial killer "Nui" possibly being used as a case study, a senior police official said yesterday.

Following a meeting with two FBI agents, assistant national police chief Chaiyong Keeratikhachorn said the FBI had provided advice about interrogation techniques and criminal profiling in cases including those involving serial killers and missing children, as in Nui's case, which would be useful for the work of the Thai police.

The Central Investigation Bureau has established a behavioural science unit for use in police investigations |and to help reduce allegations of |police beating confessions out of |suspects or arresting scapegoats, he said.

The Bureau will hold training sessions from April 25-30 for police officers to boost their investigation skills via the utilisation of behavioural science, about which FBI agents will transfer their knowledge and experience to Thai police.

Last month, Phra Khanong Provincial Court handed down a death sentence to Nui - before reducing it to life imprisonment - for abducting, raping and killing a six-year-old girl in Bangkok last year.

It was reported that he had allegedly abducted and killed at least other nine victims, including a four-year-old girl in Loei.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-10

Great. Big Brother teaching Little Brother how to be Big Brother. biggrin.png

Why don't they just send some DVD's of Mrs Marple and Columbo!!!!

They could introduce water boarding to Thailand - but don't show Chalerm this as before you can say Adam, Suthep would be strapped down ready to be his first customer!!!

• Like 1

The FBI guy in the middle is saying to the other bloke

" Don't look now but I think I'm sitting next to Will Smith from Men In Black. But he's a bit paler, shorter and more oriental than I imagined him to be"

They (FBI) have more chance of getting s*** from a rocking horse than teaching the BIB.

....and the Thai police have less chance of learning from the FBI than a quadriplegic performing a cartwheel!!!

There have been numerous studies of the failure of Thai police to take instruction and training. As documented in public information and scholarly work, the Thai police enter in to training with a culture and mindset of "what's in it for me." If they can't see a payday as the result of consulting or training, they just don't care about it or follow through.

I hope that the Thais are paying the US for this FBI expertise and it's not yet another freebie for Thailand on the back of the US taxpayer. The FBI knows that Thailand is saddled with a criminally corrupt police system. Why in the world would the FBI believe that any training in criminal profiling would result in stopping crime in Thailand? It's preposterous to entertain such an idea. The FBI should know that Thai police have no knowledge of or interest in the thorough investigative process.

Quite the contrary, the FBI knows full well or at least should that "criminal profiling" in Thailand would essentially result in a poor ordinary Thai being "selected" to appease wealthier folks who claim some sort of victimization. And it would always be after the fact. This is a really puzzling, troubling story and questionable activity on the part of the FBI and the US taxpayers who fund them. It should merit a US Justice Department investigation of any spending involved out of the US budget. Who is funding this FBI activity with the Thai police?

The U.S. Justice Dept? Investigate?? cheesy.gif Unless the Tea Party or some other conservative org is the target, they're not the least bit interested.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

I had a pet ferret once.

I set out to train him to do tricks.

Unfortunately the ferret is inherently stupid, lacked motivation, interest and ultimately the training failed to result in a single trick.

It was a waste of mine and the ferrets time.

This story reminds me of that episode in my life.

• Like 1

The Thai government has been sending people through the FBI academy in Quantico since I know 2004 probably before that .... I don't see how they can help profile Thai people the culture is so different ... Just my 2 cents

The Thai government has been sending people through the FBI academy in Quantico since I know 2004 probably before that .... I don't see how they can help profile Thai people the culture is so different ... Just my 2 cents

Soo.......the Thai's have been trained by the FBI for 10 years.

My, my, they have learnt so much - you can see the success it has had every day on the street. Now if they had been trained in Britain (the best and most professional police force in the world) you probably wouldn't notice the difference, because Thai police know only one way and that is their master's way of corruption, after all, he did get a 'mickey mouse' masters doctorate in criminology at Sam Houston State University!!!

Maybe they should start with the BIB itself, plenty of material to work with there.

Yep - the profile that fits the most prolific criminal in Thailand looks suspiciously like.................your average R.T.P. officer!

• Like 1

There have been numerous studies of the failure of Thai police to take instruction and training. As documented in public information and scholarly work, the Thai police enter in to training with a culture and mindset of "what's in it for me." If they can't see a payday as the result of consulting or training, they just don't care about it or follow through.

I hope that the Thais are paying the US for this FBI expertise and it's not yet another freebie for Thailand on the back of the US taxpayer. The FBI knows that Thailand is saddled with a criminally corrupt police system. Why in the world would the FBI believe that any training in criminal profiling would result in stopping crime in Thailand? It's preposterous to entertain such an idea. The FBI should know that Thai police have no knowledge of or interest in the thorough investigative process.

Quite the contrary, the FBI knows full well or at least should that "criminal profiling" in Thailand would essentially result in a poor ordinary Thai being "selected" to appease wealthier folks who claim some sort of victimization. And it would always be after the fact. This is a really puzzling, troubling story and questionable activity on the part of the FBI and the US taxpayers who fund them. It should merit a US Justice Department investigation of any spending involved out of the US budget. Who is funding this FBI activity with the Thai police?

Does go to show the vested interest that the US has with the current government, who is sleeping with who here?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Believe it or not there are some good and useful cops out there.

There was an article elsewhere recently on just such a cop who was training detectives and working on clearing up the thousands of back cases, everything from robbery to murder.

It would seem that him and his team have been having considerable success and managing to make at least one arrest every day by using innovative techniques to sucker the crims into revealing themselves.

Does go to show the vested interest that the US has with the current government, who is sleeping with who here?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm not sure whether Thailand pays to send its police over to train with the FBI or not, but I'm sure this kind of LE "partnership" exists with many other nations and not just Thailand, and has been going on for many years. It doesn't represent any particular "sleeping arrangement" with Thailand. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't even some Chinese occasionally training with the FBI.

I do know the FBI's "National Academy" classes are usually about 10% foreign, and that according to their website, that's about 27-30 students in each class (and since 2008, from more than 160 countries). I have to believe that's mostly if not entirely US taxpayer funded. Since the FBI is DOJ, I hardly think they're going to be "investigating" anything. Lol.

Profile of Well known Thai criminal: disruptive at school, but bought educational certificates up to doctorate level, wore a brown uniform, member of a well established criminal network, narcissistic, origins from a rich family, likely to have tourtured animals as a child, highly manipulative and pays people to undertake criminal activities, a liking for arson and terrorism. Likely habitat in the desert. Has a god complex and has avoided arrest despite extensive nefarious activities.