Let me be the first.....

eezergood

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will probably also try to stay dry. What bothers me a bit sometimes, is that when I am out buying supplies, Thai people see that I am in the working and not in the celebrating mode, and thus don't target me, but I still have to duck water thrown at me by tourists.

• Like 1

Spare a thought for the approximately 850 families who will lose a loved one on the roads over Songkran in Thailand.

Get wet, but stay off the roads.

how are people supposed to travel with no public trasport??????whistling.gif

I meant on the actual days of Songkran celebration, not before and/or after Songkran.

The road toll on the celebration days, country wide, is staggering.

Edited by NamKangMan

Fair enough the point taken about staying home if you don't want to involved with Songhan but it has nothing to do with a sense of humour and tolerancewhenSonghan is taken to extremes. It is great fun in the villages and to see the kids having a great time but if i keep on going i too will be guilty of whinging .

Spare a thought for the approximately 850 families who will lose a loved one on the roads over Songkran in Thailand.

I meant on the actual days of Songkran celebration, not before and/or after Songkran.

Really? There was an article yesterday saying the average during Songkran is 50 deaths per day vs the yearly average of 33 deaths per day.

While 40% or so over a few days is a big increase, it's hardly staggering. Yes, 33 deaths, 50 deaths, 1 death per day are too many.

Really? There was an article yesterday saying the average during Songkran is 50 deaths per day vs the yearly average of 33 deaths per day.

While 40% or so over a few days is a big increase, it's hardly staggering. Yes, 33 deaths, 50 deaths, 1 death per day are too many.

It's all in how you do the counting. If the body can be scraped up and make it to the hospital, it isn't counted. I think 850 is a valid number.

It's only one day where I live. I'll be home.

Just another excuse for some Thais to get pissed and start punch ups besides that it is not just water they throw it is dye in the water that ruins your clothes I was nearly taken off my bike last year due to a fire hose being turned on me could have been killed

This year I will stay at home and have a peaceful day away from the maddening crowd ! Happy Songcran !

• Like 2

As reported in a news source at I can not post a link to, due to forum rules, last year, over the Songkran Festival, there were 321 people killed and 3040 people injured in 2828 accidents.

As another member stated, if someone is injured at the scene, but later dies in hospital, that is not counted as a "road death."

Also, up in "the villages" there would be many accidents go unreported.

In my opinion, around 850 road deaths would be pretty close to the mark.

• Like 1

Personally, I love Songkran. I no longer go to the specific areas where the water-throwing is rampant, but it is the best time to drive around Bangkok. I can make it to the gym in 20 minutes vice 40, for example. I normally avoid the city's center due to traffic, but Songkran opens the entire city up to me.

Stop whinging about it OP ????? If people including Farangs would just enjoy it without forcing unwilling participators in to it, then no one would need to whinge. Why should I and thousands of others have to stay indoors for days because of drunken and sober idiots throwing water while you are driving your car or riding your motorbike, putting your life and well being at risk? I don't know if you have family over here, but if you do, how are you going to feel if some headbanger, Farang or Thai, kills any of them in the ways I have just described? Would you like to tell the parents of someone killed because of idiots throwing water in a dangerous way to stop whinging? Think again OP.

• Like 1

I will enjoy, I go to the market and the Makro and stay at home pretty much. I will not drink alcohol probably and I also respect water very much. I might drink water, the only thing I know that expands when frozen. Water is pure magic, a planet can't develop with creepers without water. When water hits a dry planet and it's not to cold dust turns into gas and rises and form an ozone layer. Micro creepers can develop into people full of shit as we are today smile.png Happy old and new year all smile.png

• Like 1

"If this is not your cup of tea, stay at home and PLEASE refrain from whinging about it - although I know you will."

It is sort of amazing, even here at the hub of whinging, how the drama queens carry on about it all and announce they've planned holidays abroad or need preventative antibiotics or ...

If you really are afraid of getting wet, then stock up on the needful before Songkran gets up to speed and plan to do a few at-home chores (that you've been putting off for months out of laziness) for a few days. In most cases the worst of it all is in touristy locations, so avoid them for awhile. I would think most of us who stay here full-time would avoid the touristy areas at any time of the year anyway.

It's certainly no more restricting than some days during the rainy season when going out on foot is going to render you soaked & sodden and even driving a car means navigating roads turned to rivers. We learn to devise coping strategies.

Seriously, if you can't cope with this minor inconvenience, life more generally must have you totally defeated.

So hundreds of lives being lost is a minor inconvenience? Would you like to tell someone who has lost loved ones because of drunken scum, and I include Farangs in this also, throwing water at traffic temporary blinding them etc etc etc?