Oil washed ashore along Jomtien Beach

webfact

Oil washed ashore along Jomtien Beach

oil-12.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Thursday the local authorities were alerted to a 2km stretch of Jomtien Beach which was covered in lumps of oil.

Environment Agency officials and a clean-up team of 10 people were sent to Jomtien Beach, in front of Soi 15, where the oil was first seen. The black lumps of oil were clearly visible along a stretch of beach measuring approximately 2kms and had been spotted by tourists on the Beach, some of them showed us oil stains on their swimming costumes and skin.

Officials suspect the oil originates from a Tanker which capsized in Samut Sakhorn Province on 7th April.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/124704/oil-washed-ashore-along-jomtien-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-04-11

Jomtien beach have been in a need of serious cleaning for a long time.

They should send out 100 people and clean the whole beach. There is

also a horrible smell of garbage from the north end of the beach road

and down to Soi 5-6. I never go to restaurants in that area bc of the smell.

I don`t understand why the people who have business by the beach dosn`t

put some money together to keep the whole beach area clean and free

of bad smells...

Yesterday when I passed the 7/11 on a bath bus, at the north end of beach rd.,

there was a horrible smell of human feces sad.png Hope we get some serious

rain soon...

Happy Songkran! smile.png

Edited by Eagleizer
  • Like 1

@Eagalizer I completely agree... 10 people attempting to clean up 2 kms of beach is laughable...if it wasn't so sad. The disgusting smells and endless garbage washing up is everyone's responsibility but it seems there is no will among Thai people to take decisive and effective action to do anything about it. This and many other things as we all know so I won't go there....but I think in the end the only way any real change can take place is for the expat business and retiree community to organize and initiate some targeted cleanup...and establish a continuity program. Who knows...maybe it will eventually catch on with the locals if they see more folks taking it seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

of bad smells...

rain soon...

ITS normal for the Goverment to Keep beaches ,streets clean in the west , what do the local council do with there money ,streets should be cleaned /washed every day /rubbish taken away ,get enough tourist money ,some should be spent on keeping the place clean ,like the rest of the world ,

• Like 1

@Eagalizer I completely agree... 10 people attempting to clean up 2 kms of beach is laughable...if it wasn't so sad. The disgusting smells and endless garbage washing up is everyone's responsibility but it seems there is no will among Thai people to take decisive and effective action to do anything about it. This and many other things as we all know so I won't go there....but I think in the end the only way any real change can take place is for the expat business and retiree community to organize and initiate some targeted cleanup...and establish a continuity program. Who knows...maybe it will eventually catch on with the locals if they see more folks taking it seriously.

I actually always grab some garbage on my way out of the water and

put it in the garbage bin by my chair, but it does not seem to "catch on".

But maybe some day.. :)

Anyway, I think many Thais would be interested in cleaning 100 meter

of the beach for 100THB. It will take less than 30 minutes. (except for

oil spills) So 20.000 should be enough to clean the whole beach.

50THB from every of the chair rentals should cover that easily. But

they should of course be responsible for keeping it clean themselves!

A fine for throwing garbage would also help the problem, and could

raise the money needed to keep the beach(es) clean...

Cheers :)

• Like 1

IMO the only thing that will correct this is to start over with six year olds, teach them properly and carry the message on into their later years. The current generation frankly don't give a rat's imho. This is a wonderful place to live but as far as I can see the Thais are ruining their own country. I was in the Pattaya for the first time in 1964 and I had never seen such beautiful beaches and such a wonderful accommodating people. I often wonder what's happened to both.

• Like 2

I would like to volunteer to pick up garbage . I have time enough a few hours every week to do it, just need a work permit I guess .

Maybe we expats can show Thais how to keep the beaches clean.

• Like 2

I would like to volunteer to pick up garbage . I have time enough a few hours every week to do it, just need a work permit I guess .

Maybe we expats can show Thais how to keep the beaches clean.

I`ll be happy to set up a "Cleaning Training Center" in my apartment :D

of bad smells...

rain soon...

I think the responsibility extends much further than that. Any hotel, restaurant or tourist oriented business derives it's income from 'The Beach'.

There is a stream of people towards the beach early morning from condos from well up soi Watboon.

But it gets better, slowly, 30 years ago there was a stream of raw sewage running into the sea near the Dusit in Pattaya.

• Like 1

The Thais have no pride in their country only in saving face, I live in Bangchang and it is only the expats who clean our beach the Thais sometimes walk along only picking up stuff they might be able to sell.

I have watched families picnic on the beach and just let their plastic rubbish be taken by the wind, even seen them throw rubbish down just metres from an empty rubbish bin

@pitchag you are so right, and I believe to change that culture it will take the better part of a generation...along the lines of @Goat Roper's take. The kids need to be taught in school and and supported by government (start levying fines on litterbugs) the message being that littering is bad for the environment and illegal.

In the meantime, the rest of us can respect the environment and do our bit to pick up even if they don't give a rip about their own country.

In many parts of the developed world beach cleaning machines, which are deployed behind a tractor, are used to clean beaches. Beaches are normally cleaned in the early morning hours. The city could purchase a few of them. These machines are efficient and only take one or two employees to operate them. Of course, the root of the problem is a lack of enforcement of ocean-dumping laws and almost total lack of concern about environmental issues by Thais.

• Like 1