Songkran 2014: Thais forget their woes

webfact

Thais forget their woes
THE NATION

30231475-02_big.jpg

SUTHEP, YINGLUCK TAKE A BREAK TO CELEBRATE WITH THEIR SUPPORTERS

BANGKOK: -- THE SONGKRAN festival appears to have cooled down Thai politics, at least for a short while, given the reduction in political violence, and a break in politicians' activities during the five-day holiday, which began on Saturday.

Revellers enjoyed themselves with traditional water fights across the country, including at political rally venues in Bangkok. Lumpini Park was packed with anti-government protesters in traditional costume challenging each other in water combat. The protesters were restricted from bringing their own water and white clay into the site but were provided with alternatives by the protest organisers.

People's Democratic Reform Committee chief leader Suthep Thaugsuban slowly rode a motorcycle through Lumpini Park taking water hits and receiving greetings from supporters. A fun fair was also held in the protest site near and around the Government House and a road network occupied by supporters of the Students and People's Network for Thailand's Reform.

Thai and foreign revellers gathered and shared the fun on Silom Road across the street. Activities on Khao San Road in Bangkok, the most famous venue for Songkran, warmed up yesterday as more and more celebrants gathered.

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, accompanied by her son, gave alms offerings to 109 monks to mark Songkran, the Thai traditional New Year, at Tha Phae Gate in the northern province of Chiang Mai.

Yingluck then presided over the opening ceremony of the Chiang Mai Lanna New Year celebration 2014 in the famous northern resort province, one of the most popular destinations for tourists celebrating Songkran. Yingluck wished happiness for all Thais on this occasion.

Songkran is celebrated traditionally on the calendar dates of April 13, 14 and 15. April 16 is a substitute, because the 13th is a Sunday this year.

In Phichit, a 14-year-old boy was electrocuted and a 16-year-old was injured at a foam party in Muang district, after a foam dispenser apparently suffered an electrical leak. Both victims were dancing near the area and touched the dispenser. The foam party was halted by local officials, who ordered an investigation into the incident.

Alms were given to 187 monks |at a ceremony at the Civic Plaza |near the Bangkok City Hall by |the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. A trade fair was also scheduled at this venue from yesterday to tomorrowTuesday, featuring traditional goods and food from all 50 capital districts.

The authentic ancient Buddha Sihing image has been placed in a shrine at this event, along with imitative images of nine other Buddha statues from various temples.

Alms ceremonies were held elsewhere across the country yesterday, either at official events by local authorities or private functions, with Buddhist prayers said to bless celebrants who set free birds and fish.

There were 102 deaths and injuries to 893 people in 471 road accidents reported as of yesterday - day two of the seven-day safety campaign period. The daily update was compiled by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation. Drunk-driving remained the largest cause of accidents (38.43 per cent), followed by speeding (25.27 per cent).

Police pulled over 658,214 motorcycles and vehicles at checkpoints for inspection, with 99,896 motorcyclists and motorists fined for driving without licences and 32,674 for not wearing safety helmets.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-14

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

".....a break in politicians' activities during the five-day holiday, which began on Saturday"

Positioning this thing as some sort of benign debate between Politicians has the underlying motive of trying to normalize into acceptable form, the eradication of Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy.

Even to the point of amusedly aggrandizing the guy seeking to establish a "Civilian Dictatorship"

Could we make it a 1 day (not 1 week) celebration, ban ice water, ban throwing of water at anyone riding motorcycles, designate "happy" zones where you CAN throw water, but only in these areas not the main streets and also ban throwing of water at people who are wildly gesticulating "NO" and saying "NO" in Thai also please. I'm getting more than a tad sick of getting soaked and powdered every time I walk out of the house. Thanks.

only 1 day where i live ;-)

could we ban all thai ;-)

Got to love the Thai mentality when it comes to motorcycle safety. "We are Thai .... we ride with no helmets and drink a lot ... Buddha will protect us .... or not"

I see it all the time .... no helmets. The smart Thai's keep the helmet in the basket on the front of the bike just in case they see a police stop. Then they quickly reach over to grab it and put it on their head before the cop stops them. Funny site to see 4 Thai's on a bike, all on their cell phones 3 texting away while the driver sets up for a selfie, while spotting a police stop and realizing the helmet has to be placed on his head immediately.

laugh.png

• Like 1

"There were 102 deaths and injuries to 893 people in 471 road accidents reported as of yesterday - day two of the seven-day safety campaign period."

"Police pulled over 658,214 motorcycles and vehicles at checkpoints for inspection, with 99,896 motorcyclists and motorists fined for driving without licences and 32,674 for not wearing safety helmets."

This is the real worrying news to be concerned about and not the silly drenching of people with water.

Not a very good welcome for the Thai New Year.

• Like 1

The human cost of the failure of the state to adequately legislate and advertise against the worst excesses of this once charming and wonderful tradition is surpassed only by the abject incompetence of the police in maintaining the few laws that should be protecting people.

The carte Blanche attitude of suspending the law for several days has cost the lives of over a hundred people and several hundreds more injured and several thousand grieving wives, husbands, sons, daughters, fathers and mothers.

It doesn't make Songkran seem such a great festival if you step into reality for a moment. Of course realism is not a strongpoint of most.

• Like 1

Hey folks stop becoming whingers about Songkran. It is Thainess ok? The Thai folk don't do Easter and prefer not to stuff a turkey for thanksgiving.

If you don't like the water fun go to another country for the week and then return. Thailand is not a nanny state, that's why you choose to stay here right? Well, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. Sawasdee pei mai Thai krab and happy Songkran.

There is also another way of looking at it...how many Westerners die of heart attacks every year, when they stuff their faces, like pigs, at Christmas Dinner? Probably at least as many or more, I would think.

Why is everyone so worried about dying? That is the one thing sure in life. We will all die sooner or later. Might as well have fun along the way. I believe some people have more fun in one week, that others have in their whole life. (Unless they call being miserable fun)

Thai People love Songkran. I am not Thai and I love Songkran. I am a little bit more aware, while riding my motorbike, this time of year, but that is just being smart.

Personally, I don't think it is the Governments job, to "protect" us from ourselves. wai2.gif

• Like 2

Could we make it a 1 day (not 1 week) celebration, ban ice water, ban throwing of water at anyone riding motorcycles, designate "happy" zones where you CAN throw water, but only in these areas not the main streets and also ban throwing of water at people who are wildly gesticulating "NO" and saying "NO" in Thai also please. I'm getting more than a tad sick of getting soaked and powdered every time I walk out of the house. Thanks.

You really are an optimist making such suggestions.....the local village store where I am, had a water tanker, pump and fire hose.... it bowled people over, and they all laughed....happy songkran!

I was walking to breakfast this morning and the thought occurred to me......What if a challenge was put to all Farangs in Thailand to create or design an activity or game (without words) that best described the mentality of the people of a country you have ever visited. If there was no such thing as "Songkrang" in Thailand but a Farang came up with the idea of it to meet the challenge.....wouldn't he (or she) win hands down. Who could possibly think of a more suitable practice to fulfill that mission.

Well, Thai people, young and old, seem to enjoy it. They sure did here, yesterday and the day before. There is also the option of moving back to one's home Country, if one doesn't like it and hates it that much.

Personally, I enjoy it, up to a point and then I just go inside and do work on my computer, in my nice, air conditioned place. I love to see Thai people and some of the foreigners have fun at Songkran time.

We always donate water to keep everybody loaded with "ammo"

I personally don't enjoy the ice water, but a lot of Thai people seem to get a kick out of it and the screams are fun to listen too.

I would not want to be anywhere else in the world, this time of year.

I think, this event, at this scale at least, is unique to Thailand and I think that is great. wai2.gif

Agree and it's only for 1 or just a few days, but I don't think your suggestion for people to return to their home country is called for. Better if they remain indoors for the duration and let others enjoy themselves.

tatsujin, either stay home or go back to your home country during songran! who are you to lecture the Thai's on how many days they want to celebrate. this has been going on longer than you have been alive, it was more civilized then before the foreigners startedd their drunken water and ice throwing.

Yes let's start banning stuff, that's why we moved to Thailand.

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/9/6/8/1/poster3789450.jpg

I pay my taxes... rabble rabble rabble...Not like the old days... rabble rabble rabble...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSQg1i_q2g

Edited by tingtongtingtong
  • Like 2

All the people who don't like Songkran, do they prefer to get their ties cut off at Weiberfastnacht for example? Other countries, other customs. You always have the option to stock up before Songkran and stay within the walls of your home for a few days.

Come to Hua Hin....it is only one day and Great Fun.... but you are in Thailand and if you don't like Songkran .. there is that old Thai saying... Frig off.....cheesy.gif

Well, Thai people, young and old, seem to enjoy it. They sure did here, yesterday and the day before. There is also the option of moving back to one's home Country, if one doesn't like it and hates it that much.

Personally, I enjoy it, up to a point and then I just go inside and do work on my computer, in my nice, air conditioned place. I love to see Thai people and some of the foreigners have fun at Songkran time.

I personally don't enjoy the ice water, but a lot of Thai people seem to get a kick out of it and the screams are fun to listen too.

I think, this event, at this scale at least, is unique to Thailand and I think that is great. wai2.gif

Agree and it's only for 1 or just a few days, but I don't think your suggestion for people to return to their home country is called for. Better if they remain indoors for the duration and let others enjoy themselves.

Agreed! smile.png I guess I get a little defensive, when I keep seeing the few trying to trample on the rights of the masses. Rights sometimes include doing something not so smart or not so healthy, but I still believe in rights. Again, ,like Peter Pan says.."Never grow Up" No fun being a grownup smile.png

Enjoy Songkran, everyone. It's a blast, if you let yourself get into it. Time to PAAARRRTTYYY clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 2

There's a story on the Stickman Bangkok website of a Farang in his mid seventies, on his motorbike with his water gun shooting excrement and water mixed together in retaliation to people shooting water at him. I liked the idea, but not a wise thing to do, if his motorbike had to stop for any reason further along the road, and the people he squirted caught up with him, I can only imagine what the result would be. Old man or not, the Thais love the 6 to 1 odds in their favour.

Yes, it's great, isn't it ?????? Have you no thought for the innocent people riding motorbikes, and being killed because some scum are throwing buckets of water at them?

• Like 1

Hey folks stop becoming whingers about Songkran. It is Thainess ok? The Thai folk don't do Easter and prefer not to stuff a turkey for thanksgiving.

If you don't like the water fun go to another country for the week and then return. Thailand is not a nanny state, that's why you choose to stay here right? Well, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. Sawasdee pei mai Thai krab and happy Songkran.

Innocent people dying petty things??????? Not being a keyboard warrior, I won't give my views on what sort of person you are.

• Like 1

You really are an optimist making such suggestions.....the local village store where I am, had a water tanker, pump and fire hose.... it bowled people over, and they all laughed....happy songkran!

TIT

Ya just have to laugh and enjoy.....happy songkran!

• Like 1

There is also another way of looking at it...how many Westerners die of heart attacks every year, when they stuff their faces, like pigs, at Christmas Dinner? Probably at least as many or more, I would think.

Why is everyone so worried about dying? That is the one thing sure in life. We will all die sooner or later. Might as well have fun along the way. I believe some people have more fun in one week, that others have in their whole life. (Unless they call being miserable fun)

Thai People love Songkran. I am not Thai and I love Songkran. I am a little bit more aware, while riding my motorbike, this time of year, but that is just being smart.

Personally, I don't think it is the Governments job, to "protect" us from ourselves. wai2.gif

Would you still love Songcran if some moron threw water over you on your motorbike, and you are in hospital crippled. Oh! I forgot, you are a little bit more aware, so were some people who are now in hospital and mortuaries. Happy Songcran to you.

only 1 day where i live ;-)

could we ban all thai ;-)

What a bunch of curmudgeons....

Option 1: Go home.

Option 2: Suck it up and enjoy the holidays of the people whose country in which you live.

Option 3: Get stuffed.

I can just imagine the response if in your country a Thai person living there thought it a good idea to cancel NYE celebrations? 555

People aren't forced to take part in NYE celebrations, nor do they get soaked in ice cold water or plastered in powder as soon as they step outside their door.

Call me grumpy or whatever, but there's an awful lot of Thai's too I know who would like it to calm down a bit so that they can enjoy the holiday without being soaked everywhere they go.

Would you still love Songcran if some moron threw water over you on your motorbike, and you are in hospital crippled. Oh! I forgot, you are a little bit more aware, so were some people who are now in hospital and mortuaries. Happy Songcran to you.

Hey, if we are picking sides I gotta go with "Love Songkran but hate it so deal with it side"......I expect to get doused with water if on my motorbike so I drive at an appropriate speed or avoid "hot zones" altogether......those people in hospitals and mortuaries that you quoted obviously were not a little bit more aware.......it would take a criminal act to end up like that....and as far as all the motorcycle deaths and accidents this time of year......well, stupidity reigns here, but that's a little obvious isn't it? I saw a moron yesterday on his motorbike doing at least 80 in a 50 swerving around traffic, no helmet talking on his mobile! You can't teach precision driving skills like that, it's innate.......555

• Like 1