Broken tree at hotel and now manager wants money

ghworker2010

So you purposely damaged the hotels property and you do not think you should be held accountable for it.

WOW.... with an attitude like that can I guess your nationality has a red white and blue flag ?

Why are you picking on people from Iceland?

An Eskimo in Thailand????????????????

Don't know of any Eskimos in Iceland.

Icelandic people have a Nordic, Scandanavian heritage. Eskimos are from the Arctic Circle eg. Greenland

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you purposely damaged the hotels property and you do not think you should be held accountable for it.

WOW.... with an attitude like that can I guess your nationality has a red white and blue flag ?

Why are you picking on people from Iceland?

An Eskimo in Thailand????????????????

Don't know of any Eskimos in Iceland.

Icelandic people have a Nordic, Scandanavian heritage. Eskimos are from the Arctic Circle eg. Greenland

Sorry, so Eskimos only come from the Arctic circle. I bow to your superior knowledge.

The problem I see is that the OP wanted a view, and I would guess that the majority of guests would want privacy/ have the palms act as an absorbent for the sun. If as you state the owner of the resort runs a 'tight operation' then if the palms needed to be cut, they would have done it.

Don't let it ruin your holiday and let it be a lesson that if you want to do some natural rearranging, ask the resort first.

I too ONCE booked a hotel with agoda. NEVER again. The upgraded room had no window was small and was $5.00. more than the hotel price. I could not tell you what I think of agoda without swearing.

And don't forget, agoda's prices are always ++, 10% service charge + VAT. There goes your "discount" down the drain.

Not always, it depends on the country and often on the price quoted.

We've booked with Agoda over a dozen times in 7 or 8 countries here and in Europe and have never once had a problem. Some lead-in prices have included taxes, some haven't. The last bookings I looked at were in Saigon and most had tax included but a few didn't. One or two of them haven't been great, but that's always reflected in the price. The reviews there are much better than TripAdvisor in my opinion because you actually have to have booked through them to write a review so the chances of it being a fake review by someone with an axe to grind or a competitor are much, much lower. I used to write reviews on TripAdvisor when it first started, but it soon became obvious to me that many of the reviews for hotels we had or subsequently stayed in had been written by people who had never been there, so I gave up and take their reviews with a bigger grain of salt than Agoda's.

I think the idea of writing a bad review of the hotel in general because of his self-inflicted problem is not only mean spirited, but might put other people off going - I will have to presume it had good reviews or he wouldn't have chosen it in the first place. This would not only disadvantage the owner, who has done nothing wrong, and disadvantage fellow tourists who might have enjoyed themselves there. I shouldn't be surprised (but I am) at the number of people encouraging him to be dishonest by writing a terrible or scathing review. If he writes a true review, detailing what he has done and the hotel owner's reaction, readers will make their own minds up on how valid his review is.

One other thing - as someone else has pointed out, the hotel could be national park so the hotel is not allowed to touch the trees, or the hotel could be rented from owners who don't allow the renter to touch them. Either way, if it were my hotel I'd be pretty annoyed that someone did this to my property.

If even a fraction of water could be seen,the owner could claim it had a sea veiw,i think the op should be very careful about this,remeber the story of an english backpacker who took a small towel from a hotel,was deported and blacklisted,never to return,also the police will be on the owners side i would think,better to pay up,look at the bigger picture.

If the tree was on the beach, then it was not property of the hotel. All beaches are owned by the king and so is a tree that grows on the beach. Not that any hotel, beach bar or so cares (they obviously build their properties on the king's land), however they legally can't do anything about it. And if you get a very good lawyer and you wan't to take it that far you will surely win, but is it worth the hassle?

Good luck with that one. So you get a good lawyer, who says in court " Your honour, my client freely admits vandalizing this property, but the property does not belong to the hotel. The property belongs to the King.... and the judge will respond "5 years in prison for vandalizing the King's property". Yup, you will "surely win" !

Edited by tigermonkey

Bees are swarming outside my house here in Phuket as I type. It is the season.

Refuse to pay.

If and when the police arrive tell them that a swarm of bees arrived and chased you into the tree, you broke some leaves off to try and defend yourself, it worked and the swarm moved on...

Make sure that you mention to the owner that when you make your review for agoda you will have to mention how dangerous her bungalows are because of the killer bees.

• Like 2

If even a fraction of water could be seen,the owner could claim it had a sea veiw,i think the op should be very careful about this,remeber the story of an english backpacker who took a small towel from a hotel,was deported and blacklisted,never to return,also the police will be on the owners side i would think,better to pay up,look at the bigger picture.

Agree.

From where did you not have a sea view?

The bed? The loo? The far left corner of the balcony?

Was it not possible to simply move your chair over or down a meter or two?

Or did you want the pure luxury of glancing at the sea while you played with your sweet thing?

Just imagine the state of an already suffering environment if everyone felt they were entitled to mow down any tree that impeded "THEIR" precious view from any angle... not even mentioning that YOUR precious view is only rented temporarily!

I think you need to be proactive , seek out the boss , apologise that you werent thinking about what you did , and offer a thousand or 2 baht as compensation.

The money wont hasten any regrowth , its simply penance for being so self centred.

BTW : Those who say , "Oh come on it'll grow back!" are clearly assuming that other guests will not do the same or that regrowth could never happen ... thus they are also unwittingly stating your actions are those of a resounding minority , thank Buddha.

Edited by zaZa9

What you did was wrong. You should have discuss the view with the hotel management and request them to do the same you did but by themselves or change your room with better view. Try to reason it with the manager and fix it with some gift etc.

It's a fricking tree ,they grow back .Tell her to get lost .

So you think it is acceptable to damage other people's property, particularly when it has been done deliberately, and expect to just walk away. Please never come and stay in my Resort. Instead of asking for restitution for any damage you do,

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a inflammatory comment

Wife broke a glass in the bathroom she used to rinse her hair, no shower sprinkler available.

After paying the bill they chased us to our car and stopped us from leaving, we had to pay 100B for the glass.

This was the Sima Thani in Nakhon Ratchasma.

We now stay often at the Dusit Princess....

Australia, Chile, Cuba, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Laos, Liberia, Luxembourg, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Korea, Norway, Panama, Russia, Samoa, Slovakia, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom and United States

Possible your right therecoffee1.gif
  • Like 1

Hacking someone else's plants, just pay up.

Still could be worse......gardening without a work permit...... arrest, incarceration, fine plus deportation.

His honour might settle for three month community gardening.

Australia, Chile, Cuba, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Laos, Liberia, Luxembourg, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Korea, Norway, Panama, Russia, Samoa, Slovakia, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom and United States

Possible your right therecoffee1.gif

you were meaning he was a UK citizen...or Austrailian?

Are you serious, or trolling ... or just really stupid? Some trees don't grow back ... some take years to grow back. The OP deliberately broke the trees, admits he was caught, and now talks of threats to give the hotel a bad review. I don't have to ask if he's stupid ... it's pretty self evident he is.

tingtong, on 15 Apr 2014 - 17:47, said:
geetee, on 15 Apr 2014 - 17:34, said:

With all due respect I disagree Mary, that isn't the point

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So, what is the point?

OP booked a sea-view room, with obviously a little help from his side to make that come true.

The owner lied about this, when advertised.

While making your own landscaping isnt the best solution, i would bet the house the owner wouldnt want to give discount/refund due her misquiding advertising.

(What would you think if instead of a jaccuzzi you find a tub?, would you think it is right when you paid for jaccuzzi?...that sea-view came with extra price, for sure!)

I would say you bring the police on, let them know that the owner lie about the place, and threatening you about a f.cking tree. Not that OP cut the whole thing, anyway.

A discount/refund due her misguiding advertising, wake up you fool, this is Thailand.

NancyL, on 15 Apr 2014 - 18:18, said:NancyL, on 15 Apr 2014 - 18:18, said:

Why didn't the OP just ask at the front desk for them to send around someone from the maintenance crew to trim the trees to improve the view? He really shouldn't be doing work on his holiday, should he? Would he have rolled up his sleeves and cleaned the pool if he'd found it dirty?

You're right, that's exactly what he should have done, he had no right touch someone else's property. He could have threatened to book out and inform agoda to stop payment. What I find very strange is that he's on holidays, but says his visa card has already been cancelled...what! This is another one of those strange posts, sometimes hard to believe.

Edited by Rorri

NancyL, on 15 Apr 2014 - 18:18, said:NancyL, on 15 Apr 2014 - 18:18, said:

Why didn't the OP just ask at the front desk for them to send around someone from the maintenance crew to trim the trees to improve the view? He really shouldn't be doing work on his holiday, should he? Would he have rolled up his sleeves and cleaned the pool if he'd found it dirty?

You're right, that's exactly what he should have done, he had no right touch someone else's property. He could have threatened to book out and inform agoda to stop payment. What I find very strange is that he's on holidays, but says his visa card has already been cancelled...what! This is another one of those strange posts, sometimes hard to believe.

I believe the OP lives in Isaan, or at least lives in Thailand with the girl whose outfits he disdains

Are you serious, or trolling ... or just really stupid? Some trees don't grow back ... some take years to grow back. The OP deliberately broke the trees, admits he was caught, and now talks of threats to give the hotel a bad review. I don't have to ask if he's stupid ... it's pretty self evident he is.

Are you serious or trolling? If that particular tree does not grow back I'll pay the fine myself.whistling.gif

So you think it is acceptable to damage other people's property, particularly when it has been done deliberately, and expect to just walk away. Please never come and stay in my Resort. Instead of asking for restitution for any damage you do, I could just punch you on the nose?

& your resort is ?