Playing the Farang card

naboo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i play the farang card pretty often... and i always deliberately add "I am farang not thai"... there are plenty of customs (unwritten rules) here that are backward/retarded/outdated, period. living here for me means respecting people and the good things in thai society (plenty of that!)... it does NOT mean blindly accepting some of the crap that goes around here. the key is to be yourself, voice your opinion in a friendly/charming way and NOT causing loss of face to the other...

• Like 2

I sometimes use the ladies toilet and say, "sorry, I can't read Thai"

This begs the question...which toilet do ladyboys use???

They are not men...they are not women...is there a toilet for an it???

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But Chris, outside the marriage, in a shop, you're getting poor service, the item you bought this morning has broken, they're stone walling you.

Do you consider showing a bit of rage in the hope they'll think crazy Farang and give you your money back just to get you out of the shop? I've done it, it worked.

biggrin.png I understand where you are coming from naboo. When I first came here, the first Thai words that I had instant recall with were the numbers 1 - 10. That was through constant repetition when things weren't going my way with purchases.

Over time, I have become something of a creature of habit in that I generally use shops that I know provide good service or, ones that are easier to deal with if things go wrong.

If the choice isn't there and the 'customer relationship' sends my pulse rate over 80, then I normally walk away; doesn't happen often but it does happen...................wink.png That said, I wouldn't feel right pulling the 'falang card' in times of chaos, to me it would be like lowering yourself to someone else's standards.

Now if someone messed up my drink order.................sad.png

I think I am becoming a bit of a wimp.

Pigeonjake, for starters, it would drive me nuts to hear my relatives-by-marriage say "falang dont like to see litter all over the garden" when they damn well know your name. The rest of the stuff wouldn't sit real well with me, either.

You're right, you need to politely, but firmly set boundaries from the beginning of any relationship. Same in the west. Hubby didn't want me giving keys to our place to my parents when we lived in the same town. Fair enough -- they weren't paying the bills.

I guarantee you when your relatives are talking to strangers about you, with you around, they call you falang.

Why, do you have a name that's difficult to pronounce? Have they not yet come up with a suitable Thai nickname for you? Falang is hardly a suitable nickname.

Did they do this while you were dating your tiirak? If so, this should have been a real clue to what was in store. It would have been like me going to visit my husband's three uncles and their families before our marriage and finding they all referred to me as "Girlee" in talking about me when I wasn't around.

No need to take it like that.

They use it cause it's easier to describe who they are talking about if they don't know you, not meant offensively. Calling you girlee would be offensive I think.

As for Thai nicknames, I don't care really. Usually it's just Kris if they know me, falang if they don't. No big deal.

Family members and friends close to the family call me by name or use "lueng" (uncle) which I consider respectful. When I do hear farang and start listening to conversations, it's generally between people who don't know me or villagers who have not met me. I take no offense. I know when I'm being talked about, and then I listen. It's entertaining.

• Like 2

If I get called farang I point out that I am not a farang, but Khymer.

Pom mai pben khon farang, pom pben khon Khymer na khrap.

This usually confuddles their two brain cells for a couple of days.

Probably as they are trying to figure out if that is the same thing as 'khmen'.

• Like 1

It seems my most common expression these days is " I not Thai". So, I have taken from a card to an actual characteristic of my being. If the family has accepted a mix union (Thai + Westerner), then they need to bloody accept that I will do things differently and want things done differently.

Early in my relationship, the MIL told the daughter that Falang do not like family visiting a lot and hanging around the house and do not like noise. She told her daughter that we white guys are quite private and demand a certain level of privacy. She had learned this from various observations and gossip in the village. So, when my wife told me, I just nodded, smiled and said that we falang are different. The MIL played the Falang Card for me .... THANKS!

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Being called farang is better than being called an ATM. w00t.gif

Playing the farang card ?

Its a mixed marriage both parties will have to accept that there are differences in culture. Its quite normal what you did and if someone does not like it too bad.. its a mixed marriage. They cant expect you to be and act like a Thai. Same as you cant expect your partner to act like someone from your country.

But even among Thais or our kind things vary a lot culture wise so there is net set rule.

naboo, the more you call yourself "farang", as in buying into the Thai notion of a stranger with white skin, and not really a real family member, the more you will find yourself isolated and always viewed as the "other".

Stop referring to yourself as "farang", it will only hurt you in the long run.

• Like 2

I'll play the 'farang card' when stopped by the BIB. Flip my face mask up as I approach the roadblock. Oft-times they simply don't want to deal with a farang and let you pass unimpeded. But if I'm stopped I go into "English only mode" with a US North Carolina American drawl. Most of the time it works. I drove right thru a roadblock (very slowly) in Korat with both my wife and I without helmets. BIB didn't even look at me. Wife just said, "Drong bpai, keep going." We had a good laugh about that. (BTW, I almost always were a helmet). Sometmes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It usually depends on the English skill level of the officer. LOL

Considering they call Cambodia "Cam-bo-ria", lord only knows how they pronounce Khymer.

I can now play the 'old person' card as I'm almost 65. I still grumble about the farlang word being used in conversations around me, but I've sort of got used to it. The old person card gets more respect and unexpected genuine kindness, as in an attractive business woman helping me to cross a busy road one day, when I didn't need help. But if a get a sense of 'stupid', or 'out to lunch' or a 'banga short of a bbq' - attached to the old person label, I may have to find a new card.

Considering they call Cambodia "Cam-bo-ria", lord only knows how they pronounce Khymer.

They call Cambodia, Gamphuchaa (which is a lot closer to the Khmer word for their own country than Cambodia is).

I've used the angry Westerner card in shops to get what I want but chrisinth's post gave me pause for thought. It's probably time I stopped doing it.

Edited by inthepink

I've used the angry Westerner card in shops to get what I want but chrisinth's post gave me pause for thought. It's probably time I stopped doing it.

It does make returning to the shop a bit difficult. I'm glad there are two Home Pros in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

Deliberately playing the farang card is giving all farang a bad name. Thanks guys. Good to see how proud and honourable you are, taking advantage of people, from laziness or slyness, or just a conscious lack of respect.

I've found that what others have done I can usually undo by my actions. I don't credit others for their bad behaviors as I have no control of their past actions.

Where there is laziness, I try to be industrious. Where there is slyness, I try to forthright. Where there is disrespect, I try to be courteous and respectful.

I've found that my positive behaviors and good intentions usually produce like in return.

So far so good. One day at a time.

• Like 1