British Passport No Credit Card

Tanlic

Hi Guys,

Quite simply I don't have a credit card and have to renew my UK Passport.

It would seem there are only 2 ways to pay according to their website. Credit Card or Debit Card.

I do have a Kasikorn Debit Card so I asked them would it be accepted in the UK.

They said NO!!!!

Has anyone used a Thai debit card to pay if so from which Thai bank?

Alternatively does anyone know if they will accept a bank draft from a bank in Thailand?

I have a Kasikorn basic savings account with an ATM / debit card.

It can be used in the UK and elsewhere. I've used mine to make purchases from both UK and US companies.

This is just the plain ordinary ATM card you get with the basic savings account.

You do however need to ask them to enable the card to be used 'on the internet' - I believe this turns on international payments.

This can be done at an ATM from what I understand but they helpfully did it for me at the ATM so I can't be sure.

• Like 1

It can be used in the UK and elsewhere. I've used mine to make purchases from both UK and US companies.

This is just the plain ordinary ATM card you get with the basic savings account.

You do however need to ask them to enable the card to be used 'on the internet' - I believe this turns on international payments.

This can be done at an ATM from what I understand but they helpfully did it for me at the ATM so I can't be sure.

Kasikorn offer an 'online' debit card, this is a virtual debit card which can be used to pay online for goods. This can be set up through internet banking.

I have used my normal Kasikorn debit card to make payments in the UK, but this is in person (sign the slip).

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

Kasikorn offer an 'online' debit card, this is a virtual debit card which can be used to pay online for goods. This can be set up through internet banking.

I have used my normal Kasikorn debit card to make payments in the UK, but this is in person (sign the slip).

totster smile.png

Adding to my previous post - I just used the number and expiry date from my physical ATM card to make my purchases over the internet.

I'm going to look into the virtual card option though.

totster smile.png

Adding to my previous post - I just used the number and expiry date from my physical ATM card to make my purchases over the internet.

I'm going to look into the virtual card option though.

One thing I like with the virtual card is that you can set your own limits on it, helps reduce any loss that may occur due to fraudulent use

totster :)

totster smile.png

Beware of the Kasikorn 'online' debit card, it has a different number from the normal one, it gave me so much hassle, and broken promises from the bank staff to sort it out that I just cancelled it and changed to Bangkok Bank. No problems there.

When I renewed my British Passport last year, my Kasikorn debit card didn't work but my Kasikorn virtual card went through OK.

Same here OG, (not passport) and it cost me around 3000 baht, because Kasikorn did not sort it out for me.

attachicon.gifDraftServiceBranch.pdf I was advised to get a bank draft for my application, though not all banks do them. This is a list of Bangkok Banks which will sort it for you.

Advised by whom ?

A bankers draft is clearly NOT an option to pay according to the website:-

Fill in a ‘Paying by credit card or debit card’ form for each passport you’re applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

Bank draft, not a problem. But why the concern over acceptance of a KK debit card when you will be paying in Thailand - I assume you are renewing in Thailand, not in the UK?

Hold that thought..... the procedure for obtaining a new UK passport while living in Thailand changes every other month... :D

I suspect HMG are doing what they are very adept at doing - confusing the issue.

Nothing suggests that a KK, or any other Thai bank, debit card is not acceptable; it in fact implies the opposite. And bearing in mind you would be applying at the local visa centre, in Sukhumvit 13, it seems inconceivable that a Thai card would not be acceptable.

As well, as recently as submissions made via HK, drafts were acceptable, and were - presumably are - the currency of payment for visa applications at the same centre in Soi 13. Frankly, I'm amazed that the guide refers to payment in GBP since the usual modus operandi has been payment in THB at the prevailing FX rate - that is, HMG's prevailing rate, which can change between transactions made within minutes of each other.

attachicon.gifDraftServiceBranch.pdf I was advised to get a bank draft for my application, though not all banks do them. This is a list of Bangkok Banks which will sort it for you.

Advised by whom ?

Fill in a ‘Paying by credit card or debit card’ form for each passport you’re applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.

It was about 6 months ago, at that time the passports were issued in Hong Kong and it didn't say anything about bank drafts on their website either. I would be surprised if you couldn't do the same for U.K.

Bank draft, not a problem. But why the concern over acceptance of a KK debit card when you will be paying in Thailand - I assume you are renewing in Thailand, not in the UK?

Hold that thought..... the procedure for obtaining a new UK passport while living in Thailand changes every other month... biggrin.png

How true. But not at this moment in time.

Advised by whom ?

It was about 6 months ago, at that time the passports were issued in Hong Kong and it didn't say anything about bank drafts on their website either. I would be surprised if you couldn't do the same for U.K.

Advised by whom ?

Actually, there was mention of drafts, though I don't remember where. Possibly on the application.

Sometimes I scratch my head in amazement the questions here for such simplistic situations,with a modicum of common sense you would ask a mate with a credit card to pay and give him the cash end of problem, no 3 page essay needed

Possibly. Possibly not. Third party payment might well invoke concerns over money laundering. We are in Thailand, whose reputation in that area is not stellar, and we are dealing with the UK, whose views on the subject go beyond proportionate.

I suspect HMG are doing what they are very adept at doing - confusing the issue.

Nothing suggests that a KK, or any other Thai bank, debit card is not acceptable; it in fact implies the opposite. And bearing in mind you would be applying at the local visa centre, in Sukhumvit 13, it seems inconceivable that a Thai card would not be acceptable.

As well, as recently as submissions made via HK, drafts were acceptable, and were - presumably are - the currency of payment for visa applications at the same centre in Soi 13. Frankly, I'm amazed that the guide refers to payment in GBP since the usual modus operandi has been payment in THB at the prevailing FX rate - that is, HMG's prevailing rate, which can change between transactions made within minutes of each other.

HK applications were charged in HK$. Recently, though not for very long, applications were being sent directly to the UK and being charged in GBP. As of this month applications are to the Trendy building in BKK, but the payment form and all information relating to the price is in GBP. Appears to me that the whole application, including the payment authorisation, is sent to the UK, if they were taking the payment in BKK then there would be no need for the form at all.

Sometimes I scratch my head in amazement the questions here for such simplistic situations,with a modicum of common sense you would ask a mate with a credit card to pay and give him the cash end of problem, no 3 page essay needed

Possibly. Possibly not. Third party payment might well invoke concerns over money laundering. We are in Thailand, whose reputation in that area is not stellar, and we are dealing with the UK, whose views on the subject go beyond proportionate.

Lmfao oh dear oh dear money laundering 80 quid for a passport renewal my sides are splitting and I just fell of my seat with laughter, were does this forum get people like this from,

Did it for my mate 4 days ago so I will be worrying for a knock on the door from the organised crime squad i guess now, damn I just can't stop laughing my ribs are aching

totster smile.png

Totser is spot on here!!!

This is the way to go, you can apply for a K-Cyber shopping card at an ATM I think, if not just pop into the bank...

It is a virtual Card, they just give you the numbers.

No questions ask. See my other post.

I used my mother's card. They wanted the card holder to sign the form which presented a slight problem as she is thousands of miles away from me. I sent a letter explaining this and how her card was the only card I could use, I provided all her contact information including address, phone numbers and the card details and invited them to contact her personally on the matter. They processed it and never even contacted her.

As usual we have people trying to help but only end up confusing matters.......

If someone used a card they must know when it came off their account....was it when you appled or a week or 2 later?

Obviously if it wasn't right away it was taken off in the UK.............I imagine!!!

Thank all for trying to help. I actually called the kasikorn and they said they would set up my card so it could be used outside Thailand.

A few day later I went into my branch to double check and the lady there told me it wouldn't be accepted in the UK unless I was there to sign.

I think I will take the advice of the persons who suggested I open an account with the Bangkok Bank.

I have been in touch with the Trendy but they simply don't know ??????????????????? IDIOTS!!!!

Let's not get started on.Proof of address? What about the thousands of people who stay in apartments who do not get the likes of phone bills or electric bills from the local authority. What do they do? Go to the embassy and pay an extortionate fee to get them to write a simple letter which I am told they do......of course they don't check they just take your word for it and take your money.............so I am told.

I'd rather pay twice the fee than go through this hassle with an establishment that is a complete mess.

The Trendy is a joke.How can they not know where your card is charged?........if they are not doing it then finding out is a simple case off asking so they can tell people instead of sending them email addresses that:-

[email protected] after complaing the first one didn't work.............they gave me another one........AND>>>>[email protected]

The whole set up is a joke...........why cant we pay by bank draft?......my guess is the bank charge them a fee or they have to send someone to the bank and that would cost money... Great isn't it? you can buy a condo with a bank draft but not a passport.

I did find an email address on here and asked the question 3 weeks ago.......No reply.........sent another 1 week ago.......no reply.

I hope I die here in Thailand and never have to set foot in the Uk again........the place is a CENSORED hole and the entire set up a disaster waiting to happen.