Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

Seriously bored and trolling I reckon.

Could be but his lack of personal confidence maybe what is effecting local sales if the comment about sales is correct.

With locals it is all about the look. The average Thai male cannot pass a window without looking in it and fixing his hair. So if someone has started the ugly , not cool rumour then they will all feel self conscious. have their masculinity questioned and feel not cool riding one when in fact it could be the other way around. Also Thais do not perceive empathy for disabled people so if the bike has been scarred with the disabled tag, which would be quite easy on social media for shallow, self serving people to do then that could also cause lack luster sales.

If I needed a scooter which I don't I would buy one simply because it is different. Then i would overtake other scooters on the outside etc.

Tricity will sell lots in Europe if it compares favorably with Piaggio.

Oh and I still have performance variators if anyone with a Tricity needs a bit more zip.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand and me are the guinea pigs.

The dealer I bought from says he sells 1 or 2 a week which is a small number but this might be the case with many non Hondas.

I wouldn't doubt if the bike has a stigma here; it is undoubtedly a weird looking bike.

It was smart to launch in a country where litigation is not common so they can work out any bugs.

Luckily my bike has no problems so far.

They recently announced it in Japan and anticipate selling 7000 a year there.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/business/AJ201407010057

We all know the Japanese don't care about looking cool or peer pressure; they do some funky stuff.

The cheapest MP3 is selling for 6100 Euros but the Tricity is supposed to be 4000 Euros so I'm sure it will be very popular.

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/review-piaggio-mp3-yourban-300-ie-lt.htm

I can't wait for the Europe release because it will mean more aftermarket parts to pick from.

I would guess Honda is probably working on a LMW of their own.

Honda rarely leaves any niche market uncovered.

I am still looking at the Tricity and the Lifan 200 cross (both - not one or the other)

I think the Tricity looks awesome and the 20 mins I spent on one recently was way more fun than I thought it would be :)

The Lifan would be for bombing around offroad out here in the countryside :)

Found 3 newer videos for those interested.

1. Of course the Tricity was never meant to be an off roader but as basic transportation they are taken off road anyway.

These Thai guys made a very good review and took it on dirt roads and some miniscule river crossings.

This bike has an advantage fording deep water where you can't see the underlying road.

The probability that a pothole big enough to take in both front wheels is very slim so water crossings are easier on the mind with this bike.

You can see how the front light doesn't bounce around too much off road because the 4 front shocks are doing their job.

Sadly you sort of have to watch the whole video because they chat 10 seconds, show bike footage, and repeat this process often.

http://youtu.be/b8pC5cQzcqc?list=FLP6P8qh4o5akY66KT57cA_g

2. This is a 30 minute TV show of the bike on a racetrack (not sure why one would bother), but it isn't pushed hard.

The video has a lot of BS so you can skip to 12 minutes for the track session.

http://youtu.be/PEsUuqW10b4?list=FLP6P8qh4o5akY66KT57cA_g

3. This video is the bike following a PCX through traffic.

http://youtu.be/jubFBRx0a3Q?list=FLP6P8qh4o5akY66KT57cA_g

I was following a PCX in traffic this morning. Lane splitting on Theparak Road in Bangna. The dude was gunning it, safely, but he kept pulling away from me easily and fit between the cars no problem. I'm only on a zoomer-x so I didn't expect to keep up, but I would definitely ride one in traffic and can't see any issue with doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hoi guys, after doing some more riding with my new tricity, just finished 1000km. I l ike to make a facit:

to go shopping in town (rural Isaan town) my Honda Spacy is more easy, because not so heavy

to go riding a trip, my tricity beats any of my other bikes, the spacy, the skydrive, the step.

it is riding smooth over many bumps which with the other bikes have to be avoided, with a safe feeling

which might sometimes be dangerous, makes you riding less concentrated.

my wife on the back feels very well, even after riding 2 hours and it is an overall soft riding.

more than 80kmh loaded do not come out, but i want to cruise and enjoy the nature and 70 to 80kmh proved to be OK.

I am looking forward to some trips over several days, many places to go see here in Isaan.

I prefer it over my car...no air con, no parking hassles, free riding feeling.

a draw back is, it is heavy, you have to handle it carefully and to keep it in balance, especially when parking,

my wife 156cm/45kg runs it too (only alone, not with me as a passenger I am 100kg, hihihi),

but with much respect and not for going shopping in town.

P.S.

I was in Switzerland for 2 months for my holidays and the Swiss importer was so friendly to send

me per e mail a pdf file with the complete manual in German, anybody interested, here my

mail: [email protected] and i would gladly send it to you.

We passed a couple of Tricity's around Khao Yai on Sunday. Definitely a novelty bike. Should appeal to hi-so, Thai-Chinese Chula bunnies.

Can't imagine a guy, a straight one at least, riding one of these.

So,i figure that means you qualify for one on all your criteria..

All the big men with their guns out. Insulting people over motorcycles. Shows their true colours at least..

It's just a few precious sportbike riders who feel the need to denigrate all and any others who don't choose to ride the same as they do..

Always gay comments made from a couple of them..they appear to relate to that subject.

Maybe ,in their cases it's the big bike = small dick thing thats makes them feel the need to make inane comments on scooters etc threads...

It's usually not a good idea to refer to penis size on a forum. It says more about the one commenting than anything else.

But if dick sizes are your thing, you carry on. Who am I to say otherwise?

HR, you are the idiot calling Tricity riders "not straight" in a thread about the Tricity. So if you pretend to live in a world full of sterotypes its no suprise that people talk to you that way.

"Idiot!"?

Oh oh! Internet tough guy resorting to attacking other posters.

I bet you don't talk fact to face like that, do you tough guy?

I know you're not the smartest apple in the barrel but try reading what I actually wrote.

My opinion was that I couldn't imagine a straight guy riding one. In the same way I couldn't imagine a straight guy wearing pink jeans. As with pink jeans, I find the Trinity's to be ridiculous.

Don't like my opinion? Tough s**t!

But attacking other posters from behind a keyboard for no reason just than you disagree with the post and where that post didnt attack you, just shows you for the coward you are.

Insulting men who wear pink, people who drive 3 wheeled scooters and shit all in the same post. All signs point to a 'closet' existence. Steer clear mate. You might come down with a case of the 'gays' if you stay in this thread for too long.

Edited by Thaiwi

^

possibly too cumbersome for the locals than the price.

price is not bad for it imo but it is heavier and probably it has heavier steering than a conventional scooter.

also never as ratty as a normal scooter with three wheels and wider body. these might be the reasons why we dont see them a lot on the roads.

possibly it burns more fuel with three wheels and heavier weight too. engine is also not very powerful or exciting.

still, i think these bikes are good idea especially when they stay straight when stationary.

Edited by ll2

I seen a few in Pattaya but nothing you see every week, all were foreigners riding them.

I suspect this is a bike a very unsecure 1st time bike owner will buy otherwise I don't see any purpose for it as it wont be standing upright by itself when stopping but you have to put your feet down as on a normal bike.

I can see a new scam on the horizon...

unsuspecting buyer is blamed for bike falling over in showroom - or the jetski operators start renting them out.

Hard to believe there's no StandLock system on it like the Piaggio has!! - unless there's some watertight copyright on the concept?

Edited by tifino

guess I'm starting to see double - what with the extra wheel'n'all...

what Post# has the tricity having some sort of self-standing system? - and yes I know it has a kick stand smile.png

Can see a Poll coming up - what would you elect: tricity or piaggio?

hmmm, an elec-tricity sounds the next big possibility... the extra wheel can help carry the Lithiums' weight

Edited by tifino

Piaggio, completely different price bracket. Can't really be compared to it apart from the amount of wheels.

Disabled transport, wouldn't really be marketed at those who can't balance with out the use of their legs.

It is what it is. It's not the piaggio. Several forum members have this bike. But I'm sure they're shaking their heads at these posts right now.

By this logic, all bikes with 2 wheels are comparable. It's not wrong, it's different. A saying to live by in this country.

The Piaggio MP3 is extremely popular in Europe.

My understanding is you do not need a motorcycle license to operate.

Also offers good weather protection when you have the optional 'skirt' to stay dry and warm.

Don't have to put the feet down at stop lights.

The benefits I see on the TriCity is the extra suspension and braking/cornering grip.

Not a gay bike but definitely a girly mans bike.

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

This "girly" association is similar to the "disabled" association. Get over it and accept that it has three wheels, not two. Then you will soon realise that it doesnt look that much different to a Nouvo SX.

Imo scooters in general are unisex. There are some scooters where the plastics/graphics are styled more aggressive and there are others where styling is more girly like. But this is just the styling, at the end its just a scooter, not more not less. The classic Vespa was much more "honest" with the "form follows function", but also had great styling. But it was a bike for all, men and women.

The Tricity is styled for the "modern city people". Like it or not, but it has nothing to do with girly, its more about being futuristic, or maybe you could call it androgynous. I would agree in the Tricity not being a "toughs mans bike", so its for sure not for everyone.

This "girly" association is similar to the "disabled" association. Get over it and accept that it has three wheels, not two. Then you will soon realise that it doesnt look that much different to a Nouvo SX.

Imo scooters in general are unisex. There are some scooters where the plastics/graphics are styled more aggressive and there are others where styling is more girly like. But this is just the styling, at the end its just a scooter, not more not less. The classic Vespa was much more "honest" with the "form follows function", but also had great styling. But it was a bike for all, men and women.

The Tricity is styled for the "modern city people". Like it or not, but it has nothing to do with girly, its more about being futuristic, or maybe you could call it androgynous. I would agree in the Tricity not being a "toughs mans bike", so its for sure not for everyone.

Its really no different as far as 'tough mans bike'.[if such a thing really exists] to a wave or a pcx or any other style/type of scooter..

If one or other is a persons choice, for whatever the reason..that's it ...your choice..

Nothing at all to do with a persons perceived toughness..Mate, you don't have to justify your choice to anyone ..on forum or off!