Thai-born British citizen accused of lese majeste by her own parents

webfact

I hope she is extradited and given life in prison for her heinousness behavior.

I have no interest in this woman or her alleged offence.What little I have seen evokes mild distaste.

However on the specific point of lese majeste I note the British Ambassador here has confirmed (on Twitter) there is no possibility of extradition.For this to be considered lese majeste would have to be an offence in both countries, and in one of them it is not.

Thai government lawyers must know this very well, so what one wonders is the point of such an aggressive popsition from the Junta - "chuad kai hai ling du", I expect - killing the chicken to scare the monkeys

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She should be arrested for having an annoying squeaky voice and for calling that nice General Prayuth a monitor lizard in her last video. I happen to like monitor lizards but I understand that is not an appropriate way to address a Thai army chief.

Otherwise she should be ignored as just another uneducated bar girl who married a farang and now has too much time on her hands. The more they mention her as a public enemy the more attention she gets. She cannot be extradited under the Anglo-Siam Treaty of 1913 unless she has committed an offence that is considered a crime in both countries. It doesn't matter what her nationality is in this respect but being British means that she can obviously stay forever in the UK and won't care if her Thai passport is revoked, if she ever has one.

It would be more productive to revive efforts to extradite Thaksin and other convicted criminals on the run, such as Watana and Pracha. They should also automatically revoke Thai passports of any convicted fugitive.

Edited by Dogmatix

It would be interesting to discover exactly how this woman managed to obtain a British passport.

I can think of nothing less interesting.What does it matter and who cares?

Why even bothering to post if you're only going to snipe?

I remember she had an English husband who left her - he also could not put up with her shenanigans.

It would be interesting to discover exactly how this woman managed to obtain a British passport.

She is married to a Brit and has British children. She obtained ILR and then citizenship before the Life in the UK test was introduced.

I remember an article that said the British husband was still with her and supports her political name calling activities that incite hatred towards the wildlife living in Lumpini Park.

Edited by Dogmatix

She should be arrested for having an annoying squeaky voice and for calling that nice General Prayuth a monitor lizard in her last video. I happen to like monitor lizards but I understand that is not an appropriate way to address a Thai army chief.

Otherwise she should be ignored as just another uneducated bar girl who married a farang and now has too much time on her hands. The more they mention her as a public enemy the more attention she gets. She cannot be extradited under the Anglo-Siam Treaty of 1913 unless she has committed an offence that is considered a crime in both countries. It doesn't matter what her nationality is in this respect but being British means that she can obviously stay forever in the UK and won't care if her Thai passport is revoked, if she ever has one.

It would be more productive to revive efforts to extradite Thaksin and other convicted criminals on the run, such as Watana and Pracha. They should also automatically revoke Thai passports of any convicted fugitive.

My experience of bar girls, once formidable, is that they are the last people to be disrespectful of the supreme institution - much like the lower class farang on this forum they tend to be deeply conservative.In the case of bar girls they dont generally think much about wider issues.The strange reactionary tendencies of proletarian and lower middle class foreigners is harder to explain.Perhaps it's because here they can aspire to a social rank higher than available at home and often identify passionately with a culture, which sadly in

many cases they don't really understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

NCPO to ask foreign govts to extradite lese-majeste offenders

BANGKOK, 10 June 2014 (NNT) - The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has requested the British government to extradite a Thai woman facing a lese-majeste charge http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNPOL5706100010004

Very unlikely outcome, the woman is clearly mentally unstable and needs therapy not prison.

I believe that Britain the same as Australia are against the lese majeste law so doubt that they would even consider an extradition request.

Everyone is against the lese majeste law.......except Thailand.

Even the person it protects doesn't like it......

I hope she is extradited and given life in prison for her heinousness behavior.

Unless of course you're being sarcastic?

More like a textbook case of:

Forum Rules

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Because from experience both in the UK and the States, many Thais had obtained US and UK passports by dubious means, such as marriages of convenience, getting married on a false pretence and then leaving their husbands once they archived US or UK citizenships and so on.

I am not accusing this woman of obtaining UK citizenship by deception, but it would certainly be worth investigating the exact circumstances as to how she became a British citizen and if found to be dubious, then she could be thrown out of the UK or perhaps even put on a plane back to Thailand.

This is one line of inquiry the Thai authorities could pursue in order to see if there is a chance of getting this woman back to Thailand to face charges.

Because from experience both in the UK and the States, many Thais had obtained US and UK passports by dubious means, such as marriages of convenience, getting married on a false pretence and then leaving their husbands once they archived US or UK citizenships and so on.

I am not accusing this woman of obtaining UK citizenship by deception, but it would certainly be worth investigating the exact circumstances as to how she became a British citizen and if found to be dubious, then she could be thrown out of the UK or perhaps even put on a plane back to Thailand.

This is one line of inquiry the Thai authorities could pursue in order to see if there is a chance of getting this woman back to Thailand to face charges.

Wouldn't that be the UK immigration service job?

Despite what some people think, Thailand is still a little bit far from global superpower status.

Despite what some people think, Thailand is still a little bit far from global superpower status.

So is every other country in the world, except one.

After the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991 that ended the Cold War, the United States is the world's sole remaining superpower.

That should be a UK Immigration issue but in the UK illegal immigrants and those entering and staying in the UK by deceptive means has and still is a low priority with the Immigration authorities in the UK and providing this woman now has all her paperwork in order than I very much doubt that the UK authorities will be concerned or would investigate how she obtained them. It is usually only until the UK Immigration department are pressured to make investigations into certain illegal immigrants, such as when the immigrants commit serious crimes or suspected of being involved with terrorist activities that they then decide to make inquiries and even then only very rarely are these people deported.

It depends on how much of a priority the Thai authorities place on this woman as being on their most wanted list and I am sure there would be high rewards for those who could dig up the dirt and have her thrown out of the UK.

It doesn't matter,

As she has cause to fear for her freedom & safety in Thailand, she could stay in the UK as a refugee.

The woman is a british citizen living in London. As such she is free to do anything that is not illegal in UK - and it not illegal to transgress thai LM laws. It is irrelevant that she previously was a thai national.

As to your last para, those people would have little difficulty in persuading any court of a Western country that they are political refugees and hence they would be granted political asylum, under the international treaty to which all civilised countries are signatories. Revoking thai passports therefore would not get them deported much less sent back to Thailand.

Some here seem not to grasp that across all industrialised, advanced countries the goings-on in Thailand (as well as its LM laws) are seen very differently from the way that the current authorities and their supporters present them. More amusingly they persist in the self-delusion that those foreign critics - despite their education, intelligence and experience - fail to 'understand' the thai scenario for what it is.

NCPO to ask foreign govts to extradite lese-majeste offenders

BANGKOK, 10 June 2014 (NNT) - The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has requested the British government to extradite a Thai woman facing a lese-majeste charge http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNPOL5706100010004

Very unlikely outcome, the woman is clearly mentally unstable and needs therapy not prison.

I believe that Britain the same as Australia are against the lese majeste law so doubt that they would even consider an extradition request.

Everyone is against the lese majeste law.......except Thailand.

Even the person it protects doesn't like it......

Yes, I recall a quote that he did not agree with it...

That is why I see the law being reformed, apart from extremely disrespectful or lies about the monarchy which such actions could lead to civil unrest there should be a right to voice an opinion and fair debate.

I do not think any fair debate will in any way harm the monarchy as they are so revered by the vast majority of Thai's.

That should be a UK Immigration issue but in the UK illegal immigrants and those entering and staying in the UK by deceptive means has and still is a low priority with the Immigration authorities in the UK and providing this woman now has all her paperwork in order than I very much doubt that the UK authorities will be concerned or would investigate how she obtained them. It is usually only until the UK Immigration department are pressured to make investigations into certain illegal immigrants, such as when the immigrants commit serious crimes or suspected of being involved with terrorist activities that they then decide to make inquiries and even then only very rarely are these people deported.

It depends on how much of a priority the Thai authorities place on this woman as being on their most wanted list and I am sure there would be high rewards for those who could dig up the dirt and have her thrown out of the UK.

Might be wrong, but I don't think that normally most countries do not generally pressure another country's immigrations

services to kick out their own citizens or look into the credibility and manner in which the got the citizenship.

I would venture a guess that even if her status is found dodgy, she still wouldn't be handed over to Thai authorities anyway,

as most Western nation have this thing about political asylum and such.

Would have been better, from both practical and PR views, to let this one go - pick her up if and when circumstances allow.

The other thing is, why would you assume to her having certain political views got much to do with the way she got her

status in the UK?

I don't see why investigating her UK citizenship should be a fertile avenue of investigation. She married an Englishman and applied for permanent residence, when it was easier with no Life in the UK test, and then got citizenship according the usual timetable. She has two children with him and i think they investigate fairly thoroughly these days to check it is not a marriage of convenience. There are thousands of naturalised British citizens who got it in exactly the same way. There would have been no need for any fraud in her application because she was qualified it was easy to apply the normal way.

The UK will only revoke citizenship from naturalised Britons and deport them if it can be proved that they pose a serious threat to the public good as in the case of Abu Hamza and that took several years. Normal extradition is not possble because she has not been charged in Thailand with anything that is a crime in the UK.

Edited by Dogmatix

Might be wrong, but I don't think that normally most countries do not generally pressure another country's immigrations

services to kick out their own citizens or look into the credibility and manner in which the got the citizenship.

I would venture a guess that even if her status is found dodgy, she still wouldn't be handed over to Thai authorities anyway,

Would have been better, from both practical and PR views, to let this one go - pick her up if and when circumstances allow.

The other thing is, why would you assume to her having certain political views got much to do with the way she got her

status in the UK?

On the first point you are correct, It seems that once in a country these people are extremely difficult or probably impossible to throw out and this is one of the main reasons why Thailand is reluctant to give full immigration status to certain foreigners.

On the second point I am not pertaining this woman`s political views with how she obtained her citizenship in the UK. I am only suggesting that if the Thai authorities want her for crimes against Thailand then it may be worth pursuing as to how she obtained UK citizenship in order to force her back to Thailand, if her UK citizenship can be proved to be invalid, but again this would be no easy task considering getting passed all the do gooders and the UK`s human rights policies even if she did obtain UK citizenship by deception.

In the meantime this woman is publicly sticking 2 fingers up to Thailand with the backing and support of the UK legal system because as a UK citizen she is not contravening any UK laws and remains under the protection of the British crown, so the odds are that this nasty piece of work will continue on with her derogatory propaganda against Thailand and there will be nothing Thailand can LEGALLY do about it.

Edited by Beetlejuice

status in the UK?

On the first point you are correct, It seems that once in a country these people are extremely difficult or probably impossible to throw out and this is one of the main reasons why Thailand is reluctant to give full immigration status to certain foreigners.

On the second point I am not pertaining this woman`s political views with how she obtained her citizenship in the UK. I am only suggesting that if the Thai authorities want her for crimes against Thailand then it may be worth pursuing as to how she obtained UK citizenship in order to force her back to Thailand, if her UK citizenship can be proved to be invalid, but again this would be no easy task considering getting passed all the do gooders and the UK`s human rights policies even if she did obtain UK citizenship by deception.

In the meantime this woman is publicly sticking 2 fingers up to Thailand with the backing and support of the UK legal system because as a UK citizen she is not contravening any UK laws and remains under the protection of the British crown, so the odds are that this nasty piece of work will continue on with her derogatory propaganda against Thailand and there will be nothing Thailand can LEGALLY do about it.

We are talking about one person posting opinions on the internet.

Thailand will not collapse or even be hurt by her words. On the other hand, applying too much pressure and placing undue

importance to this case will damage Thailand's image. Ignoring her for now, put the name on a list - get the chance, nab her.

There are more notable people (some are Thai) writing far worse things as LM rules go - not that much noise being made

about them.

Nazi Germany was also a very safe place to live, if you weren't Jewish and kept your mouth shut.

North Korea same.

Not sure I would have wanted to live there though.

Jesus!

Only Jews? What about gypsies?Other ethnic minorities? The handicapped/special needs? Keeping their mouths shut wouldn't have helped them.

North Koreans are sent to the camps for other family members' transgressions.

Your ignorance is astounding!

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

When you have an entirely emotional relationship with something and are unable to distance yourself from the object in question and employ reason, it's entirely natural that love can mutate into hate. Extremes of emotion are common in these circumstances, so why should extreme rejection be a surprise? It's hard to step back and look clearly at something dispassionately if you've only ever been exposed to one way of relating to that thing...

Anyway, I think Rose is clearly a bit daft and I'm not sure why anyone would pay her a blind bit of attention. Like many Thais she seems to spend much of her day making silly pictures to post on social media. However, the people that are going after her surely pose more of a concern. Needless to say they're making themselves look very foolish but it's worse than that. When people think someone like her poses a "national security threat", want her extradited and threaten her with physical violence, it's hard not to think something must have gone badly wrong somewhere.

Edited by Emptyset

The whole concept of "Lese majeste" is medieval and should be outlawed itself.

Talk about a double-bind.

He added, "I want people to understand that just because a daughter is doing something wrong, it doesn't mean the parents are also guilty, because we don't condone such actions."

What a cowardly father - more interested in clearing his own name and saving face than loving his own daughter.

Pathetic little Thai man.

Actually, your comment is far more pathetic.

Once children reach adulthood, they make choices and those choices have consequences. Some of those choices can and often do result in tied to their parents being severed. It happens every day. She is on her own and the parents have perfectly legitimate reasons for distancing themselves form her - they are after all actually in Thailand and apparently at the receiving end of public wrath over her actions.

Malthus, do like your namsake should have done, and spare us all.

Talk about a double-bind.

He added, "I want people to understand that just because a daughter is doing something wrong, it doesn't mean the parents are also guilty, because we don't condone such actions."

What a cowardly father - more interested in clearing his own name and saving face than loving his own daughter.

Pathetic little Thai man.

Actually, your comment is far more pathetic.

Once children reach adulthood, they make choices and those choices have consequences. Some of those choices can and often do result in tied to their parents being severed. It happens every day. She is on her own and the parents have perfectly legitimate reasons for distancing themselves form her - they are after all actually in Thailand and apparently at the receiving end of public wrath over her actions.

Malthus, do like your namsake should have done, and spare us all.

Besides the remark, the man has a point. If the authorities were to pursue this matter, it would just show how little they spend on matters of affairs and more on these counter-productive crusades.

When they claim that Thailand is a young democracy and speak about liberties but don't allow free speech, makes me think that they haven't truly grasped even the idea of what a democracy is.

Yet every time one confront these delusional and banal protectors of Thai democracy, they simply state that nobody but Thais can understand the concept, like it's alien compared to rest of the world.

The country is filled with outdated ideas and laws because the elders refuse to submit to change. It's better to let the young ones live in ignorance, be blindfolded as their parents were rather than to admit the shame that they could have changed the system when they were in their prime but didn't because of pure laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If found guilty for disrespect, I hope she go to jail to the limit of the punishment. 5 years for every disrespect. That will be good for her. Thailand do not have such disrespectful people. We all love the king more than our parents. Don't believe me, just ask anything Thai you know.

then why are these laws necessary ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se-majest%C3%A9

We could have a debate about that, except that you seem quite unfit for that.

Lese majeste laws exist worldwide, and there is a reason for them. The reason is that unlike me and thee, a head of state (including a monarch) and his/her family do not have access to the normal libel/slander/defamation laws, and that an extraordinary law should protect them. NO country with lese majeste laws among the many countries accepts that the law is medieval or has any important movement to abolish it.

Many laws are abused all over the world, and there can be no doubt that some people abuse lese majeste laws in Thailand. So is the criminal defamation law abused. Two journalists in Phuket attest to that right this week.

But the argument against legal abuse is not to delete the law; it is to amend it where necessary and enforce it properly, fairly and equally. BY LAW the Thai monarch does not have recourse to the standard protection against defamation, so there is a law - as in dozens of other countries - to account for that. In the United States, the world's leader in free speech, there are special laws protecting both the status and work of the head of state. Suggesting they just be thrown out is ridiculous.

It will be a great day when both the Thai head of state and his subjects have similar protection under well-written and properly, equally enforced laws. You don't sound rational when you write that the law should be totally abandoned.

Take care!

Intelligent, informed, rational discourse will not win you many fans here on Thai visa coffee1.gif

i dont see how thai law can be applied to something that happened in the UK? thailand has no jurisdiction in the UK.

All countries have juridstiction over their citizens.

As an example, many countries have laws which explicitly state extra-territorality, and can and do prosecute their citizens for these crimes when committed abroad. Australia's pedophile laws spring to mind, but there are countless others. Global income taxation on non-resident citizens would be another one.

Ignorance of this fact and of how law works is pretty common, especially here on TV where the most patently ignorant positions are expounded.

Mommy and Daddy Dearest.........Not.

Obviously, other than the ugly family situation, Thailand ought to join the 20th (or 19th or 18th) century and eradicate all laws that prohibit free speech and which criminalize libel or slander. Any institution or person that needs a specific law to avoid disrespectful commentary doesn't deserve any of the protection the law is allegedly designed to provide.

Monarchs do not have access to libel and defamation law to address wrongs. Lese majeste laws are the logical response to this, and that is why they exist.

You do not need to be a lawyer or even that well educated to know that this is the case.

As for the abuse of this particular law (and many others) for political or other ends, that is a different subject.