Red Lion And O Malleys

mistymateasia68

What ever happened to Allen from Perth who used to run the Overlander Bar on Moon Muang Road about 15 years ago?

He was a true Ozzie gentleman. :D

that was the guy allen bailly,before the overlander he had the lovebirds bar,some one told me he had a coffee shop by the hot springs chaingmai /chaingrai road,someone else said he was living in pattaya.

(werever he his,good luck to him)

Allen Bailey was a drunken abusive ###### that has since passed on, Are you sure you are not confusing him with the other Allen that owned the Overlander that came from Perth? He actually was a very nice guy.

I was talking about the drunken, Ozzie, Klu Klux Klan type( he hated pretty much EVERYBODY) who bought his wife for 4,000 baht from a Hill Tribe family and was the original owner of the Overlander. What a character.

He went to Pattaya for a while and then used to see him drunk as skunk in front of True Blue several years ago and he claimed to have built a hotel out in the boonies somewhere, but he seems to have vanished.

Sounds like he has gone on to meet his maker. :o

Ah yes now you're talking about "sip-et" Bailey. But my info is that he was still alive & tickering around in Pattaya. Now he was a character. And yes he did build a "resort" (dump?) out on R1035 south of Wang Nua. But then there was Howard from the Welshman's Bar, plus pommy Mark from the Karen Hut, & at one stage all in town running their own bars. Talk about personable gentlemanly publicans- Sip-et Bailey, Mark, & The Welshman - livening up Cnx city every night.

Don't forget "Cowboy" and his fine establishment the Cowboy Bar which still seems to be pulling in the punters near where the Escape used to be. :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only times I use O'Malleys was when we would come into town to eat at the seafood restaurant in Anusarn market, the one that was immediately opposite their front door, however that place has been sold up. It looks like I will not be venturing in there for a while.

I can fully understand the posters opinions of the staff there, though saying that I feel that the owner/manager should be able to see whats happening and how the staff talk/treat the customers, surely it is down to him to sort them out if he wants a successful buisness, (personally I would be down there making sure the customers were happy).

Perhaps the staff at O'Malley's learnt the fine art of being little turds from their Canadian boss Scott.

I went back to O'Malley's about 4 weeks ago and was greeted in a very friendly manner by the staff and good old Scotty.

I feel my previous comment was a little unfair. It was meant in jest but as I found out after talking with Scotty that the staff all took it very much to heart and were quite upset. My apologies.

So anyway.............The Killkenny was cold and cheaper than in many other countries where I have imbibed. Also a good place to catch up with a few of the old tobacco boys ie. Trevor J. and Stew M.

And a warning to you Lamphun, there is a big ugly ex cop from Australia who is looking for you..... :o

red lion is the only bar i know in chiang mia that charges tax for your food plus atmosphere leaves much to be desired and so called irish bar good nosh but but not very friendly queen vic 1 and 2 staff much more friendly
You wouldn't be "Scottish John" the owner of TRUE BLUE by any chance.. If so it looks like the ol "slag of your competitors" trick could be up your sleeve.. And if you are John, then i owe you one.. :o

What ever happened to Allen from Perth who used to run the Overlander Bar on Moon Muang Road about 15 years ago?

that was the guy allen bailly,before the overlander he had the lovebirds bar,some one told me he had a coffee shop by the hot springs chaingmai /chaingrai road,someone else said he was living in pattaya.

(werever he his,good luck to him)

Allen Bailey was a drunken abusive ###### that has since passed on, Are you sure you are not confusing him with the other Allen that owned the Overlander that came from Perth? He actually was a very nice guy.

I was talking about the drunken, Ozzie, Klu Klux Klan type( he hated pretty much EVERYBODY) who bought his wife for 4,000 baht from a Hill Tribe family and was the original owner of the Overlander. What a character.

He went to Pattaya for a while and then used to see him drunk as skunk in front of True Blue several years ago and he claimed to have built a hotel out in the boonies somewhere, but he seems to have vanished.

Sounds like he has gone on to meet his maker. :o

Ah yes now you're talking about "sip-et" Bailey. But my info is that he was still alive & tickering around in Pattaya. Now he was a character. And yes he did build a "resort" (dump?) out on R1035 south of Wang Nua. But then there was Howard from the Welshman's Bar, plus pommy Mark from the Karen Hut, & at one stage all in town running their own bars. Talk about personable gentlemanly publicans- Sip-et Bailey, Mark, & The Welshman - livening up Cnx city every night.

I saw the original Allen Bailey about 4 months ago sitting outside the Bier Stube. He looked like he was dead but he was talking so I assume he was in fact, still alive. Told me he had a new joint in Pattaya which he had named "Lovebird", so it seems he has done the full circle. Said his place up country was closed but available for rent or purchase. Can't imagine anyone would want to run the place.

BB

Without any relation to this thread, my wife and I had dinner at the Red Lion last night. The pepper steak and fish and chips we had were perfect in every respect, the Kilkenney beer, on tap, was delicious and cool, but not, thankfully, chilled. The staff were not at all warm at first, but as we got to know our waitress a little better, she became quite friendly and helpful, even offering an extra helping of salad for free at the end. Based on ...Ken's recent advice on another thread about tipping, I gave a nice tip at the end and made a point of handing it to her directly. We'll see what effect that may have the next time we go. And there will be a next time.

Without any relation to this thread, my wife and I had dinner at the Red Lion last night. The pepper steak and fish and chips we had were perfect in every respect, the Kilkenney beer, on tap, was delicious and cool, but not, thankfully, chilled. The staff were not at all warm at first, but as we got to know our waitress a little better, she became quite friendly and helpful, even offering an extra helping of salad for free at the end. Based on ...Ken's recent advice on another thread about tipping, I gave a nice tip at the end and made a point of handing it to her directly. We'll see what effect that may have the next time we go. And there will be a next time.

Nice story :o ...just proves a little goes a long way when it comes to tipping, give us all an update when you go next time.

TP

red lion is the only bar i know in chiang mia that charges tax for your food plus atmosphere leaves much to be desired and so called irish bar good nosh but but not very friendly queen vic 1 and 2 staff much more friendly

You wouldn't be "Scottish John" the owner of TRUE BLUE by any chance.. If so it looks like the ol "slag of your competitors" trick could be up your sleeve.. And if you are John, then i owe you one.. :o

no just a long stayer in chiang mia but the freebie sounds good

no just a long stayer in chiang mia but the freebie sounds good

Sure sounds like a Scotsman

:D

Why doesn't anyone mention The Wall (opposite U.N. Irish Pub) - a superb pub in my opinon!

A great place if you enjoy drinking alone :o Nothing much wrong with it really, just that it needs filling.

I suppose but I made friends with the staff there which is why I have company even if I go alone. It can get busy at times though - especially on the pool competition night...

I suppose but I made friends with the staff there which is why I have company even if I go alone. It can get busy at times though - especially on the pool competition night...

Far better when Yoshie ran it as the "Voodoo Lounge" not that was raw excitement every night :D

However, times change :o

Why doesn't anyone mention The Wall (opposite U.N. Irish Pub) - a superb pub in my opinon!

A great place if you enjoy drinking alone :o Nothing much wrong with it really, just that it needs filling.

So when is compo night?

Edited by ThaiPauly

Far better when Yoshie ran it as the "Voodoo Lounge" not that was raw excitement every night :D

However, times change :o

Is that before he drove his car through it ?? F**kwit he is, i remember going to help him and his girl in a pretty bad car crash one night (many moons ago) only to have the <deleted> try and king-hit me for helping him... So i told a young bad-dude Thai guy at the scene that Yoshi said he looked like a poof (in Thai).. Then i "fled the scene".. God bless you Yoshi, probably the biggest <deleted> in Chiangmai....

He was a true Ozzie gentleman. :o

I don't know whether you're taking the piss but Alan could never have been described as a gentleman. The town drunk has to be a lot closer to the mark.

I don't know whether you're taking the piss but Alan could never have been described as a gentleman. The town drunk has to be a lot closer to the mark.

Allen was a bit of a pisshead but generally pretty harmless. He came from a very well to do family in Perth. Furriers.

Talking about Australian gentlemen, has anyone seen or heard of the guy who was involved in the

Escape with Irish Eddie about 8 or 9 years ago?

Is that before he drove his car through it ??

I was on the scene. Real sad.

Talking about Australian gentlemen, has anyone seen or heard of the guy who was involved in the

:o:D:D

Still lurking as is Eddie

I thought he was english from cornwall, I don't mean Jeremy.

This thread is wandering all over the place. So comments on a couple of other things.

The Alan Bailey question, is this the wizened dwarf known far and wide as Birdf**ker ? :D

I think True Blue has about four other niks on this board.

I use the Bears Den when home as I live next door and its handy for a couple of ales while the wife spends a second hour getting ready to go out for the night. Generally there are always less than 6 people there which is shame and its actually well decked out, riverside location is excellent plus the outside pool table area is also good. I can't vouch for what happened on the day you mention TP as I'm not home but if it was after 2200 I'd guess they were empty for a while and had enough.

There used to be bands on Friday nights which had the place jumping but no more and I don't know why.

So when is compo night?

I think it is Friday but I can't be definite - I always lose track of what day it is in Thailand!

What about The Drunken Flower on Nimmehemin Road?

Edited by Krupnik

However, times change :D

Haven't seen ole Yoshi or Bua for that matter in a long time. Now that was a real live honest to goodness Thai Soap Opera. Every day.!!!!

Heard that Yoshi was now banned from Chiang Mai. Can that be possible with all the money he donated to the streets. ??? A living Movie Charactor .

God love him where ever hs is , or the guy that heads up the other team more probably !!!

Interesting MM that you mention the night Yoshi put in the new garage door

:D:D:o:D

Haven't seen ole Yoshi or Bua for that matter in a long time. Now that was a real live honest to goodness Thai Soap Opera. Every day.!!!!

Bua is running a small bar in Moonmuamg between soi one and two :o

Was. Sold yet again. Must have been sold 6-8 times already.

Allen was a bit of a pisshead but generally pretty harmless. He came from a very well to do family in Perth. Furriers.

Are you speaking of the ex Melbourne copper. ??

He's never too far away. Was in town a couple of weeks back actually.

Are you speaking of the ex Melbourne copper. ??

He's never too far away. Was in town a couple of weeks back actually.

A real nice guy. Although he comes from Australia his roots are in Chiang Mai. :o

Rumour has it that he met and married an Indonesian princess and lives there in the mountains of West Java. Comes back to Chiang Mai on a regular basis to visit his daughter and catch up with the mates. :D

Edited by Blinky Bill