Red Lion And O Malleys

mistymateasia68

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do a pretty decent Long Island Iced Tea in The Red Lion..

Jeeze...I better drop everything and race straight down there :o

It's worth knowing if you like Long Islands. Am I the only one?

From my vast experience in the Restaurant and Bar trade the only people who drink Long Island Iced Tea are women and poofters.

You don't really like them do Maejo Man? I know you're not a woman. :D

They do a pretty decent Long Island Iced Tea in The Red Lion..

Jeeze...I better drop everything and race straight down there :o

It's worth knowing if you like Long Islands. Am I the only one?

From my vast experience in the Restaurant and Bar trade the only people who drink Long Island Iced Tea are women and poofters.

You're probably right, but I'm sure there are plenty of women (like me) and "poofters" who post on here.

You don't really like them do Maejo Man? I know you're not a woman. :D

Your skating on thin ice there mate with double nicks :D Holiday time coming for one of them. :o

Cripes Blinkey Bill, you certainly do know a lot about that Mysterious Aussie "Gentleman". You almost made my eyes water with that wonderful history of the Escape, but not even a mention of that superb wench "Giab" - who could you forget that fine treacherous woman? (Not me.)

Wasn't she involved with a rather well-known motorcycle celebrity? :D

Nah, he was trying to maintain his involvement with her. One of his more painful accidents in life. The bingle with the orange crush bus near Uttaradit was easier, less costly & less stressful. Now if only he'd been besotted with the Red Lion or O Malleys life would have been safer, less costly, but somewhat more boring. :o

One of my mates here in Changers, who has lived here permanently for over 15 years, once opined that 90% of the expats in Chiang Mai are complete and utter w**kers. Reading through some of these posts I can see why!

Blinky Bill has seen through Raseru: it will be amazing if she doesnt remember you after your overwhelming generosity in tipping. For the record all tips at RL are put in a tip box and shared between the (I believe 11) staff who work there, including cook, Dee the bottle washer and sundry others in addtion to the 'front of house staff. Although the staff are paid quite well be local standards, the tips are an important part of their income. Do continue to tip.

Austhaied: your comment about 'Scottish John' only proves you dont know him very well. He is a true gent and to my knowledge has never been an 'ol' slag off of his competitors' type of guy- in fact he drinks in RL regularly.

those of you who were rude about Rose and the staff at O'Malleys and Scott himself are spineless little twerps who wouldnt dream of saying those kind of things to their faces and hide behind the anonymity of the internet to make derogatory comments. Same goes to those of you who are rude about the staff at RL. I've known the RL staff (and Rose via Haus Munchen), for many years. They are decent, hard working people and if you bother to get to know them you will find they are great people with homes and lives and families, joys and anxieties, just like the rest of us.

On a more positive ( and enjoyable note) Dot and Tom are the Chiang Mai expat community's equivelant of Royalty (of course I mean that with no disrespect to HM the King whose 60 years on the throne we are celebrating aloing with all the Thai people). They have been resident here for over 10 years and are often to be seen alighting from the 'Royal' Tuk-Tuk at The Pub, Gymkhana or Red Lion (where I caught up with them a couple of nights ago). They are often to be seen in the society picture pages of the Chiang Mai Mail - which has nothing to do with the fact that Dot is one of the 'official' photographers! Sadly they are thinking of moving to Cyprus which would be a disaster!!

I agree with UlyssesG that Dominic is a most convivial host a Laughing Leprachaun - the trouble is that he attracts far fewer punters than he deserves- which is where the RL scores. There are always a few good souls in there, blowing the froth off a couple of cold ones and happy to spin a yarn or two.

There are lots of good pubs and bars in Chiang Mai, but some of you guys, (someone posted above) expect to have your balls licked the minute you walk in the door. Find a pub you like, visit a few times and get to know the staff, most Thais are shy, as to some extent are Kevin and Scott.

Above all, get off your high horses and make an effort to get to know people.

You have made some valid points here MF..but 90% Wan#ers... cant agree...most of my freinds here do not fall into the catagory you claim.

I have met at least 8 TV members in CM and they are all very nice people...I'll even meet with you..if you promise not to throw any seats at me!!!!!

But what you have to remember (and I mean this with the utmost respect) is that everyone is entiltled to their personal opinion, and these are allowed under TV Rules.

This particular thread died about 2 months ago until someone resurected it.

If you don't like what is being said please feel free to PM admin and see what they have to say about it.

CHILL, its too hot to get wound up about anything

TP

Blinky Bill has seen through Raseru: it will be amazing if she doesnt remember you after your overwhelming generosity in tipping. For the record all tips at RL are put in a tip box and shared between the (I believe 11) staff who work there, including cook, Dee the bottle washer and sundry others in addtion to the 'front of house staff. Although the staff are paid quite well be local standards, the tips are an important part of their income. Do continue to tip.

I am almost completely new here, still very much figuring things out and appreciate all the information I can get. The tipping thing is very interesting to me. I came here from a place that has no tipping and whatever the deal here is is a mystery to me. I've heard the message that there is no tipping here, and I have heard a lot that contradicts that, but is inconsistent and unclear. Your information is useful and consistent with some of what I have been figuring out sort of on my own, in part by asking waiters and waitresses directly. Interestingly, the woman in question was quite nice the next time I visited the place. Maybe she was able to detect sincerity where others weren't. Or maybe not, who knows. :o

One of my mates here in Changers, who has lived here permanently for over 15 years, once opined that 90% of the expats in Chiang Mai are complete and utter w**kers.

What rubbish it's only 80% or there abouts. P.M. me if you want a full list. :o

Edited by lamphun

...they are decent, hard working people and if you bother to get to know them you will find they are great people with homes and lives and families, joys and anxieties, just like the rest of us.

Jeez, I'm getting all misty-eyed.

For all you guys who thought they were arrogant and rude, you've got your priorities wrong: You're supposed to go out of your way to charm the staff, not the other way around. Another one of Thailand's business axioms, right under the one that states the customer is always wrong.

Gotta go -- so moved by millwell's musings I just want to sit out on the porch and reflect...

Regardless of any of your viewpoints, Id say that the Red Lion & O Malleys owners must be lapping up the free publicity. Their name's out there, getting into people's minds, & maybe enticing some people to check out their establishments & see what all the fuss is about.

Some of the comments about the staff, service & tipping may or may not be valid (everyone is entitled to an opinion), but it will be a reminder to the staff (& management) to stay on their toes & look after their customers (or you might get bad mouthed.)

Regardless of any of your viewpoints, Id say that the Red Lion & O Malleys owners must be lapping up the free publicity. Their name's out there, getting into people's minds, & maybe enticing some people to check out their establishments & see what all the fuss is about.

Some of the comments about the staff, service & tipping may or may not be valid (everyone is entitled to an opinion), but it will be a reminder to the staff (& management) to stay on their toes & look after their customers (or you might get bad mouthed.)

There is a rumour in certain "Non w**ker" CM circles that a sweet lass going by the name of Giab (aka Gai) is a new recruit at one of these fine establishments. Pity the poor management having to put up with a depressed, teary eyed motorcycling celebrity hanging around the bar ogling every move of the said lady. :D

"This particular thread died about 2 months ago until someone resurected it."

Buy the weigh Tie Poor Lee, (I am still trying to think up a new homophone for you) I don't mean to sound pedantic :o but this topic started exactly 2 months ago today and has been fairly active the whole time with 3,878 hits, seems to be one of the most read in this period.

Re w**kers: "What rubbish it's only 80% or there abouts. P.M. me if you want a full list. :D "

And Lampoon, I reckon your estimate of 80% is still fairly conservative. Can you PM me your list so as I can add 1 or 2 and perhaps remove my name.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Buy the weigh Tie Poor Lee, (I am still trying to think up a new homophone for you) I don't mean to sound pedantic :o but this topic started exactly 2 months ago today and has been fairly active the whole time with 3,878 hits, seems to be one of the most read in this period.

By the WEIGH...you gotta buy yourself a dictionary Bikini Bill...anyway you keep thinking of a new homophone for me, I will be WEIGHTING :D

Tie Poor Lee :D

By the WEIGH...you gotta buy yourself a dictionary Bikini Bill...anyway you keep thinking of a new homophone for me, I will be WEIGHTING :o

Just been waying up the pro's and con's of making a wayted reply, but I think it's time to way anchor on this one.

Don't forget my Melton Mowbray TP :D

By the WEIGH...you gotta buy yourself a dictionary Bikini Bill...anyway you keep thinking of a new homophone for me, I will be WEIGHTING :D

OK OK OK.............Bye the whey Thai poorly (sorry that's getting old now), I know how to spell weigh as in "weigh the anchor". I need to pause to rest my poor paws before I buy some paw paws before the rain pours down, etc., etc.

I guess you gather I'm bored. :D

BB

OK OK OK.............Bye the whey Thai poorly (sorry that's getting old now), I know how to spell weigh as in "weigh the anchor". I need to pause to rest my poor paws before I buy some paw paws before the rain pours down, etc., etc.

I guess you gather I'm bored. :D

BB

No sweat, its all in good fun :D

I got a bit wound up about some of the posts here. I know Some of the RL and O'malley's people, Thai and Farang got quite upset about the negative comments about them.

Maybe Lamphun is right and only 80% of the expats in Chiang Mai are ######s. I'm glad I know the 20% as well as some of the 80%. I bet some of the posters here are well known expat figures using the cloak of internet anonymity to bad mouth people they dont like. Losers.

Maybe Lamphun is right and only 80% of the expats in Chiang Mai are ######s. I'm glad I know the 20% as well as some of the 80%. I bet some of the posters here are well known expat figures using the cloak of internet anonymity to bad mouth people they dont like. Losers.

Well as it was 'tongue in cheek" so to speak, Lamphun is not right. However Millwall Fan does appear to be using the anonimity of the internet to bad mouth people he doesn't like.

This is a case of here we go again. Comments about poor service or food regarding various Chiang Mai establishments always seems to bring someone out of the woodwork. If they don't want a bad press I'd suggest that they improve their service rather than trying to shoot the messengers.

Edited by lamphun

I noticed many years ago that Thai service people who work around Westerners are often more rude and difficult than those who cater to Thai clientele. There could be several reasons for this; probably a combination:

* The farangs in some establishments have behaved badly and the staff is sick and tired of obnoxious drunks or rude people. Understandable, but don’t take it out on all other customers. Two solutions: good management will help control the drunks and support the staff; or quit and look for another job.

* Management has let the workers take over the asylum and they spend their time eating, gossiping and putting the focus on the thing they love best: themselves. Soon, smiling, they reply “mi roo” or “mi mee” to questions and resume eating. After all, they are there all the time – shouldn’t their needs come first?

* Innate quality of staff: Working in a bar isn’t the top of face chain in Thailand (or most anywhere else), and like some farang who move here because they didn’t so well in their own culture, Thais who work in farang bars may see it is a pathway to a new beginning because they didn’t have a hope in their native culture. Yet a background of poor, uneducated people trying to make ends meet does not prepare them for a job that requires professionalism -- normal to them might be yelling as “conversation,” the slow, rural “I’ll get to it when I get to it” attitude and the time-honored traditions of gossip and holding grudges that help create the endless dramas make up village life.

* As mentioned above, poor management: How about, I’ve never run a bar or restaurant before, but I love (the women of) Thailand, so I’ll open one here. Because I now have a girlfriend – and you know, she “loves me too much” – I’ll hire her (well, she’s the reason I bought the bar) and her relatives, that way she has company with whom to – you guessed it -- eat, gossip and have loud conversations. Soon, I’ll feel isolated and drink even more, and morosely sit in my empty bar. Ah, paradise!

Don’ get me wrong: It’s not the worker’s fault that they come from a poor background or were dealt a bad hand, but that is still no excuse for rude behavior. It’s not acceptable in Western or Thai culture. It should be the management’s function to help enable them to succeed, and sometimes that takes a firm hand. There are plenty of examples of successful restaurants that have happy workers; they are happy because it’s a busy, productive environment and they are probably paid better and make more in tips. And rudeness is not tolerated.

My staff are all very nice people, but certain farangs try to take advantage of their good nature.

Just one example: Sometimes I am in the back room and I will hear staff tell a customer that our prices are fixed, but the customer will not listen and make up every excuse under the sun why they should give them a discount.

This can go on for half an hour if I don't step out and ask them if I can help them.

They usually say no and leave, or ask me for a discount one time, I say no, and that is the end of it, but they will bother the Thais for 15 or 20 minutes before finally swearing at them and stalking out.

Because of farangs like this, to be honest, I'm surprised that more Thais don't hate our guts! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

* Management has let the workers take over the asylum and they spend their time eating, gossiping and putting the focus on the thing they love best: themselves. Soon, smiling, they reply “mi roo” or “mi mee” to questions and resume eating. After all, they are there all the time – shouldn’t their needs come first?

You got that one right. This seems to be a very common problem where the owner is absent or doesn't give a toss because her boyfriend is picking up the bills.

My staff are all very nice people, but certain farangs try to take advantage of their good nature.

Just one example: Sometimes I am in the back room and I will hear staff tell a customer that our prices are fixed, but the customer will not listen and make up every excuse under the sun why they should give them a discount.

This can go on for half an hour if I don't step out and ask them if I can help them.

They usually say no and leave, or ask me for a discount one time, I say no, and that is the end of it, but they will bother the Thais for 15 or 20 minutes before finally swearing at them and stalking out.

Because of farangs like this, to be honest, I'm surprised that more Thais don't hate our guts! :o

Hey UG maybe you can put up a sign "NO FARANGS" :D:D

There is a rumour in certain "Non w**ker" CM circles that a sweet lass going by the name of Giab (aka Gai) is a new recruit at one of these fine establishments. Pity the poor management having to put up with a depressed, teary eyed motorcycling celebrity hanging around the bar ogling every move of the said lady. :o

Thought I'd revive this as nostalgia always sells. I can't recall Giab, was she the skinny one with the big teeth ? :D

Oh and I don't think Scottish Alan is actually missing, incase anyone was worried.

Later

Edited by lamphun

There is a rumour in certain "Non w**ker" CM circles that a sweet lass going by the name of Giab (aka Gai) is a new recruit at one of these fine establishments. Pity the poor management having to put up with a depressed, teary eyed motorcycling celebrity hanging around the bar ogling every move of the said lady. :o

Thought I'd revive this as nostalgia always sells. I can't recall Giab, was she the skinny one with the big teeth ? :D

Oh and I don't think Scottish Alan is actually missing, incase anyone was worried.

Later

I think you've got it there Lampoon, she had black hair, dark eyes and yes she was fairly slender with large pearly whites.

The Mysterious Aussie was telling me that they had to buy 20 extra boxes of tissues every month that she was working at The Escape due to the volume of tears that were being shed all over the bar by a certain CM personality.........vroom vroom.

Scottish Alan isn't missing, just absent.

I think you've got it there Lampoon, she had black hair, dark eyes and yes she was fairly slender with large pearly whites.

Your description has certainly narrowed it down a bit.

There were two girls, one with the personality went to work at Mad Dogs another I saw last month at the Crypt, (maybe).

The Mysterious Aussie was telling me that they had to buy 20 extra boxes of tissues every month that she was working at The Escape due to a certain CM personality.........vroom vroom.

A quasi tour guide in his spare time ?

The Mysterious Aussie was telling me that they had to buy 20 extra boxes of tissues every month that she was working at The Escape due to the volume of tears that were being shed all over the bar by a certain CM personality.........vroom vroom.

If my memory is correct it more than likely had something to do with the low quality tissues the owners provided more than anything. I honestly can't imagine any biker losing his marbles over any woman so easily.......but then again gin & tonic was the drink of the day (& night.)

If my memory is correct it more than likely had something to do with the low quality tissues the owners provided more than anything. I honestly can't imagine any biker losing his marbles over any woman so easily.......but then again gin & tonic was the drink of the day (& night.)

Cough, cough, splutter, splutter DGTR. I know a Ducati rider, a Kawasaki rider, an Africa Twin rider not to mention numerous others in the small Chiang Mai biker community who are constantly doing their nuts over women on a very regular basis. :o

There was the motorcycle personality who married one of the Escape girls -- and ironcally got injured in a car on is way to visit her parents.

Is the girl in question named "Chicken" -- that one had more game plans than a Superbowl coach...