What does it take to make a person react to aggressive and rude behaviour

n210mp

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And before the Thai apologists take over this thread and get it closed, my question is genuine.

On the roads I am undertaken when the gap in front of me is barely enough for braking safely.

I am in KFC and waiting my turn, guaranteed to be someone trying to push in front of me.

In line at TESCOs the small ones, same thing again, people try to beat me to the till.

deliberately Being given the wrong amount of change in a shop or store.

Hearing Thai speak disrespectfully about me when I am in a situation where they dont know that I may be able to understand them

If I dont react in some manner, could it be construed that I am actually guilty of teaching the general Thai population that it is OK to disrespect a Farang in these ways and many more that I could have included.

Note to TV Amateur Behavioral Psychologist

Please before you post on this thread, if you wish to "advise" me on behavioral or tactics to avoid confrontation do not bother because your pearl of wisdom would be wasted.

IMO there are times to do and times not to do but accepting boorish , bullying and aggressive behavior is not either the honorable, sensible or proper thing to do.

Sometimes the consequences of a reaction are what are needed to further the education of this occasionally backward Country.

When in Rome!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dear "Never to be Satisfied".....there is no single answer to your rather vague question.....and you will be waiting as long as it takes to change Thai culture for an answer to satisfy your thirst for change. Good luck and please leave the rest of the world alone with your unanswerable posts

I lived in the Kingdom for about 3 or 4 years and when the stupid behaviour, saving face BS, general stupidity got on my nerves I left. Now I am only back in Thailand for about 6 or 7 months every year and also a little more patient, the things that used to bother me don't seem to do the same anymore. A huge part is the switch in my mind, I just turn it off and walk away if I think something is going to annoy me, not a pride thing but my way of coping. We also have to remember also that Thai's generally don't grow up and therefore a smile is sufficient for them. I don't want to impress my values or beliefs on them, why should I? My love for the Kingdom allows me to forget the bad things. On the other hand I'm sure we've encountered the boorish know-all farang who has the colonial mindset and if only we could go back to our old ways.For the relatively small hassle we go through, it's better in Thailand than anywhere else on earth.

I also meet the farangs who are just angry all the time due to money, girls etc etc. I never want to be in that club.

it's better in Thailand than anywhere else on earth.

Really? That is why you have to spend half or your time in another country...so you can cope with... as you describe...stupid behavior...Saving face BS...and general stupidity...

In what way is Thailand...better than anywhere else on earth? And if it is so wonderful...why don't you live here 12 months of the year...?

Having just had to spend 4 months out of Thailand, I have to agree with Mr Worldwide. Living continuously in Thailand I was starting to get really PO with the place and not appreciating it. Some extended time out of Thailand helps appreciate why it is indeed so much better than the overly PC, overly regulated and oh so much more violent country of my residence.

While Thailand is far from perfect, it is indeed better than anywhere else I've lived on planet earth. I just needed some away time to remember that.

This morning a Thai lady invited me to move ahead of her in the supermarket queue " cos you only have little bit "

Sorry to hear that.

There are clinics in Pattaya who will take your money to fix it.

But how did she know?

• Like 2

Recently in Nong Khai at a small grocery and general goods shop, I approached the checkout counter for scanning my items ... With barely more than 18 inches between me and the counter this older woman pushed in a places her two packages on the counter... I stepped around picked them up and placed them on the floor --- put my items on the counter and smiled a lot -- checked out with the woman and several others looking shocked ... :)

• Like 2

maybe they were heavy and she didnt want to drop them , but was still willing to wait her turn?

I have done something similar to that with a 3-4 2 packs of Heineken, then stepped back and waited my turn,

is that not possibly the same, or was she not stepping back, and worse, placed her back to you?

Edited by Scarpolo

Recently in Nong Khai at a small grocery and general goods shop, I approached the checkout counter for scanning my items ... With barely more than 18 inches between me and the counter this older woman pushed in a places her two packages on the counter... I stepped around picked them up and placed them on the floor --- put my items on the counter and smiled a lot -- checked out with the woman and several others looking shocked ... smile.png

Lesson learned -- never stand with more that 2 inches between yourself and the counter. with elbows in upright and locked position.

Edited by JLCrab

Recently in Nong Khai at a small grocery and general goods shop, I approached the checkout counter for scanning my items ... With barely more than 18 inches between me and the counter this older woman pushed in a places her two packages on the counter... I stepped around picked them up and placed them on the floor --- put my items on the counter and smiled a lot -- checked out with the woman and several others looking shocked ... smile.png

Lesson learned -- never stand with more that 2 inches between yourself and the counter. with elbows in upright and locked position.

idk Crab,

it was an older woman,

this may have been out of order

idk Crab,

it was an older woman,

this may have been out of order

I described her as 'older' not decrepit ... also meaning she was old enough to know better. I had to step to the side and around her as she had squeezed herself in between me and the counter ... (better description). And I forgot to add the checkout clerk was looking rather dismayed at the woman pushing herself in ... Also her parcels were not more numerous nor more heavy than mine... In Nong Khai I had this sort of thing happen quite a few times... I can only suggest that one not get angry -- just get even...

• Like 1

I have found when I let someone go ahead of me at Tesco Express or the 7 because they only have a few items they invariably pull out their electric, telephone, and maybe some other bill to pay so I have dispensed with such pleasantry unless I'm really just in the store to enjoy the air con

• Like 1

Sometimes fugghetabout it, means fugghetabout it

you are headed for a stabbing, likely in the back, from a 16 year old, who doesnt adhere to your nonsensical rules about how he should behanve in his own country,

and, since one or more of his cousins is a police officer expect him to smle as you are wheeled away, bleeding to death

And I have just gained a newfound appreciation for Mr Scarpolo....

And for OP--you can continue to obsess about it OR you can let it go and start enjoying your days.

Up to you.

• Like 1

Another TV poster was rear ended today and the suspect fled.

this is exactly why I refuse to drive in Thailand:

this is just a small nearly harmless example, but, as we all know, with car accidents, it can always be life threatening, in many ways"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720340-hit-and-run/

So I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess that Florida has NO auto accidents.....NO WAIT....they do.....So Scarpolo (the NYC cab driver) do you not drive in Florida?

BeachProperty,

If you think being involved in an accident has the same outcome for a farang in Florida as it does in Thailand...well, that doesn't say much for your intelligence.

BTW, whats with the hard-on you have for Scarpolo? Did he steal your woman or something?

this is just a small nearly harmless example, but, as we all know, with car accidents, it can always be life threatening, in many ways"

So I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess that Florida has NO auto accidents.....NO WAIT....they do.....So Scarpolo (the NYC cab driver) do you not drive in Florida?

BeachProperty,

If you think being involved in an accident has the same outcome for a farang in Florida as it does in Thailand...well, that doesn't say much for your intelligence.

BTW, whats with the hard-on you have for Scarpolo? Did he steal your woman or something?

• Like 1

BeachProperty,

ClutchClark.....You miss the point (unless of course your intent was ONLY to attack me which would show your lack of intelligencecheesy.gif ).

Scarpolo who has said he doesn't drive in Thailand because he is afraid of killing someone.....well accidents happen everywhere ....and everywhere the results are the same ....injury or death and property damage. So I only asked him if he drove in Florida being that he is so afraid of being in an accident ...that's all...Don't have to make a really big thing about itw00t.gif

As for the outcome not being the same in America as Thailand.....your right ....My Thai wife was involved (passenger) in an auto accident (nothing serious) in the US and she got $100,000. Here in Thailand you have to kill a police officer on a motorbike with your Ferrari going 150 miles a hour before you pay that amount!

Sooooo ....What's your point?

Edited by beachproperty

There is many ways of giving your opinion to people and have them understand (in a good way) that they have made you "lose face".

Although I think you examples are a bit foolish, I still think your post i very relevant to Farangs in this place. Because way too many Farangs fall for the "Thai People are so nice" illusion. The fact is that Thai-people are just people, but compared to e.g. Chinese they are actually quite well-behaved.

I think if more Foreigners realized this and also made it clear to so Thai-people that they also have limits, then we would not see as much scamming going on and Thai-people would respect Farangs more. You get respect from Thai-people by showing you are not just a stupid drunk farang.

But then again... Maybe the problem is that a huge population of the Farangs here, are actually acting totally stupid (and drunk most of the time). So why show respect?

If you speak Thai, and you understand that they just said something rude to you, why not reply with something like, "Yes, I got what you said. Thank you for your kindness". Or "do not even begin to consider the possibility that I did not understand you. I got every word. Not all farengs are dumb, as you think. There is a reason why we win all the pulitzers, nobel peace prizes, academy awards, and peabody awards". Something like that. Just to mess with their heads. There is nothing unpolite about letting them know you understood. You will probably embarrass them to no end, which is a good thing.

Last week, I was driving an English guy to the hospital, because he had a motorbike accident. On the way to the hospital (5 km) we saw two other accidents. It IS much much more dangerous to drive here.

BeachProperty,

ClutchClark.....You miss the point (unless of course your intent was ONLY to attack me which would show your lack of intelligencecheesy.gif ).

Scarpolo who has said he doesn't drive in Thailand because he is afraid of killing someone.....well accidents happen everywhere ....and everywhere the results are the same ....injury or death and property damage. So I only asked him if he drove in Florida being that he is so afraid of being in an accident ...that's all...Don't have to make a really big thing about itw00t.gif

As for the outcome not being the same in America as Thailand.....your right ....My Thai wife was involved (passenger) in an auto accident (nothing serious) in the US and she got $100,000. Here in Thailand you have to kill a police officer on a motorbike with your Ferrari going 150 miles a hour before you pay that amount!

Sooooo ....What's your point?

BP, having just read through several of your posts, I see a pattern of immature and unintelligent responses and attempts at baiting rather than positive participation in a dialogue. I am old enough to remember the good old days before the web and back then guys like you were simply marginalized and ignored and not invited to participate in conversations. I really miss those days.

As for my point, you just made it for me for in your response above.

• Like 1

BP, having just read through several of your posts, I see a pattern of immature and unintelligent responses and attempts at baiting rather than positive participation in a dialogue. I am old enough to remember the good old days before the web and back then guys like you were simply marginalized and ignored and not invited to participate in conversations. I really miss those days.

As for my point, you just made it for me for in your response above.

CC...being a new member here ....(or are you really and old obnoxious member who has been banned and reincarnated?) I guess you deserve some latitude.

I'm of the school of thought that when people make negative remarks, like you, they more aptly apply to the person making them as they can't respond in any constructive way. Maybe English is not your first language, so again you can be excused, but if you did read my posts you will see I only ask questions, yes, pointed ones at that, to which a particular poster cannot or will not reply (pretty frustrating).

I would say you were "off topic" but your reply is a good example of "aggressive and rude behavior". And my reaction, other than this reply, will be to ignore you....I suggest you do the same with mecoffee1.gif

Edited by beachproperty

I think the girls in very recent posts have answered the OP's question of what it takes for some people to respond to aggressive behaviour, not very much at all it seems, perhaps only a diffenece of opinions, how sad is that!

With all due respect to the bickerers, perhaps take your personal fight offline via PM?

• Like 1