Bangkok Administration to construct 3 more parks by this year

webfact

BMA to construct 3 more parks by this year

BANGKOK, 21 April 2014 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is slated to construct three more parks in the capital this year as part of its initiative to expand green spaces.

The BMA said after its latest meeting, the construction of three parks in various areas of Bangkok would be completed before the end of this year. A 34-rai park is set to be unveiled under the Watcharapol overpass and another will be in Bang Plat district. The last park, which is currently undergoing construction near Suwin Thawong Road, would be completed by August of this year.

Many pending green space projects include those in Bang Bon and Bang Khun Thian will be wrapped up by next year and the year after.

The BMA has made the creation of parks a priority after recent reports suggested that Bangkok has the least amount of green space available among major Asian cities. The capital only has 3 square meters of green per capita, compared to Singapore's 66 square meters.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-21 footer_n.gif

More parks is great but it would be better to properly maintain existing parks. The park I frequent to exercise is Suan Phayathai Phirom and nearly every exercise machine is broken and it has been this way for months. The excuse given by park officers and the Phayathai District Office is that there is no budget to repair the equipment. Fix first, build later.

• Like 2

More parks is great but it would be better to properly maintain existing parks. The park I frequent to exercise is Suan Phayathai Phirom and nearly every exercise machine is broken and it has been this way for months. The excuse given by park officers and the Phayathai District Office is that there is no budget to repair the equipment. Fix first, build later.

It's a perennial Thai problem. Make something all nice and shiny and new, get the face for it, then leave it to rot. Queen Sirikit Park is a partial example, despite its high profile location. Some of the fitness equipment is abandoned, most of the fountains do not work, and the rock garden with its water system of pools and falls has been waterless for ages and its decorative tiling is falling apart. It would take very little money and very little ongoing attention to make these things OK again, but it doesn't happen. Who runs this place? What's in their head?

• Like 2

What ever happened to the big park & arboretum that's to be built where the tobacco factory now stands? That was supposed to begin construction about 4 years ago. Given that the park is supposedly being dedicated to the queen, some might consider this long delay an insult to her.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What ever happened to the big park & arboretum that's to be built where the tobacco factory now stands? That was supposed to begin construction about 4 years ago. Given that the park is supposedly being dedicated to the queen, some might consider this long delay an insult to her.

yes i would love to know the answer to this as well if anyone has any current info. The last i had heard was that the floods (2011) had affected the proposed new site for the tobacco factory and this was going to delay their relocation; but i have seen nothing since

so some farangs expect free plush fitness clubs in the public park next to his apartment lol?

very funny haha.

but at least the bma is a bit wiser than that and do cater for the average thai with no park in their vicinity ;)

anyway as parks like jatujak or even new local minor parks feature fitness equipment almost on par with singapore parks its pretty impressive overall. now imagine though if more than say 1% of thais were into exercises it would soon be way overcrowded out there!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The capital only has 3 square meters of green per capita, compared to Singapore's 66 square meters

Problem id too few people controlling far too much land with less than zero interest in public works, service, philanthropy. Wealthy tight fisted bastards.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

yes i would love to know the answer to this as well if anyone has any current info. The last i had heard was that the floods (2011) had affected the proposed new site for the tobacco factory and this was going to delay their relocation; but i have seen nothing since

It is still happening but the TTM has to wait until the new warehouse is finished in Ayutahya sometime in 15 (or probably 2016). You can check on Skyscrapercity Thai thread for progress

factory6_10.jpg

This is the current Master Plan for the TTM land once they move

p10304051ck.jpg

Some history. The original decision to convert the 430 rai of TTM land was made in Dec 2001. The first 130 rai become Benjakitti Water Park. The 2nd Phase to turn the remainder of the TTM land into an urban forest (as above) was to start in 2008.

So running a little late even for Thai time.......realistically 2018 looks the earliest!

They should make some huge parks with a special lane for joggers. All tracks shaded by tree's and loads of places to sit in the shade.

Chatuchak park is great, there are huge turtles in the ponds who love to eat rotten banana's from a skewer.

It is the same problem in every Thai park. crappy electricity, broken ponds, broken floors. They would not build a proper sprinklersystem before planting anything in the soil. Also they still like to cut the grass by manual machines, i have never seen a proper lawnmower with driver sitting on top in Thailand.