Soi Dog round up? It looks that way in Cosy Beach

tropo

I noticed something strange about my area this evening - there wasn't a soi dog in sight!

I decided to check out some streets where there's normally dozens of dogs and I counted 5 in an area you could normally count 50 - 100. There wasn't a dog outside any Family Mart of 7Eleven where you'll normally see many.

I don't know when this happened as I've been housebound for a week over Songkran, but it was an unusual sight.

Has anyone else in other areas noticed an absence of dogs?

Perhaps some Russian tourists were bitten?

They must have been rounded up as I can't imagine they left town to avoid Songkran.smile.png

I must have a look over at the park tomorrow as that's normally like a zoo.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the word from this forum got out that they are worth around 100 US dollars a piece once in Vietnam, some entrepreneur has probably cashed in.

100x100= ch ching another year in the LOS, waiting for next years strays to populate.

• Like 1

I hope this continues throughout the city. --But as sensitive as this issue would be with many Buddhists (a couple of my Thai buddies will not smash a kitchen bug) I doubt the city would initiate such such a project. ------------ (Wait- I just changed my mind. If some city official could make money off it, they would.)

The moneys too small for the big fish.

This is ongoing,anyone who has spent sometime in Thai Villages will know about the caged pickup,with plenty of dogs on board, which Tours the villages looking for unwanted pets that will be sold on the Sokonaken meat market,usually the dog owner is given a small plastic bowl!as payment.

The other version is to abduct the street dogs at night,without the owners permission,which are also heading for the meat market.Never say you have never eaten dog,with the right sauces,you just never knew it!

On Sot Bukow next to the large yellow/pink Pattaya City hosp/clinic there is a public health annex. On lower level there is a vet/dog office open 5 days/week.

You can go there to make complaints about dogs The lady in charge, Bon, is very helpful and will send her team out to location that you diagram on form she gives you

Im guessing this is what happened at Cosy Beach.

Edited by morrobay

They were rounding up dogs at my golf course last week. Three golf carts with a couple of navy cadets in each cart and a large round net on poles tearing around the the fairways chasing dogs, plus a support crew on foot running after each cart.

The dog population is totally undiminished but the cadets had a whale of a time, as did we who were lucky enough to see it all. It was rather like a Roadrunner/Flintstones cartoon in action.

The dogs seemed reasonably well practiced at avoiding the nets and I don't think they caught a single one but it took them all day doing it.

• Like 2

My only hope is that the missing dogs went to good homes or that they were disposed of humanely. Far too many dogs on the loose running around, pooping, chasing cars and motorbikes, biting people, etc etc.

Pattaya City law is:.

1) Dogs' owners must register each of their dogs at the Subdivision of Veterinary, Public Health Center, Pattaya city hall.

2) Dogs' owners must put on a collar and rabies control tag around the pets' necks and those must be in good condition.

3) Dogs' owners must pick up their pets' waste in the public area. Violators will be fined not exceeding Bath 500.

Above is the wording on a Pattaya City Announcement available in Thai and English at City vets office in the fire station on 3rd road.

I've talked to the city vet and his assistants in their office at the fire station. They registered my dog. Never been to city hall and since new Public health building is on Soi Buakhow I think it better to go there. Veterinary section is in basement.

Regarding 3) above the vet says if a dog is on public land it should be leashed or in constant view & control of owner. How else are you supposed to pick up waste if you can't see when & where your dog takes a poop!

The city vet and his assistants as well as those in the veterinary section of public health are all very helpful. The idiots are those that feed strays and then don't pick up the poop as well as those that let their pet run free on public land.

I noticed this yesterday when I was walking my dog along Soi Talman East Pattaya. Normally we are harassed by 4 dogs on a certain corner and now there's only one there. Further down the road near the golf range there is another pack of dogs but they've gone. Theres a woman on a motorbike with a basket on the back that goes around feeding them left over rice, maybe if she stopped there would be less on the streets.

Theres a woman on a motorbike with a basket on the back that goes around feeding them left over rice, maybe if she stopped there would be less on the streets.

Sorry mate, but unless eating rice creates puppies then her feeding dogs makes not a difference.

Think back to biology 101.

Cheers

Theres a woman on a motorbike with a basket on the back that goes around feeding them left over rice, maybe if she stopped there would be less on the streets.

Sorry mate, but unless eating rice creates puppies then her feeding dogs makes not a difference.

Cheers

If people stopped feeding them, they would die of starvation and dehydration. Just been on my daily walk with my dog and didnt see 1 soi dog at all so maybe there has been a Songkran clean up. The food that is left for them is still there too.

My neighbour had it with all those dogs on the dark side and fed them the "last supper" with amazing results. A year later the pack was back in attendance with nightly street wars over garbage which was left in those lovely plastic bags of Tesco, Big C, Small C and whoever-is-in-the-plastic-bag-business.
I opted to move as this was easier than telling all those "men's best friends" to fight and manure elsewhere thumbsup.gif

I hope this continues throughout the city. --But as sensitive as this issue would be with many Buddhists (a couple of my Thai buddies will not smash a kitchen bug) I doubt the city would initiate such such a project. ------------ (Wait- I just changed my mind. If some city official could make money off it, they would.)

" (Wait- I just changed my mind. If some city official could make money off it, they would.)"

And of course it's a wonderful opportunity for some mindless, fact-free Thai bashing here at the Farang Fantasy Factory!

The dogs in my area were running like chickens when the firework started 19th , maybe it scared them away into a new area. If true I will buy some rockets and aim at them from my balcony.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

Cheers

If people stopped feeding them, they would die of starvation and dehydration. Just been on my daily walk with my dog and didnt see 1 soi dog at all so maybe there has been a Songkran clean up. The food that is left for them is still there too.
MrPhil,

Great looking dog in your photo.

Starving dogs behavior is much worse than fed dogs behavior and, there is always going to be some availability of discarded food. I can't imagine dehydration being an iisue.

We do agree the issue is overpopulation and there are a number of reactive and a couple of proactive methods of remedy.

You can try starving them.

You can try poisoning themnd hope your dog doesn't get ahold of any.

You can report them to govt or private agencies. (The latter offering better chance of results).

You can hope the transporter comes by enroute to Laos (estimates of 1,000 dogs daily are taken).

You can try and convince Thai to change their attitudes ;-)

You can spay the females.

Edited by ClutchClark

The Chinese regularly eat dog as part of their diet. They eat dog at New year like we eat turkey. You see them with fattened little puppies up to the holiday and then you see the butchered carcass hanging on the balcony. Dog meat is for sale in all the big grocery stores. They must keep the hind paw on to prove that it is dog. Fascinating. I think starting this tradition in Thailand would be a good thing. Many Chinese people have dogs but they do not run free. People take them out in the evening or morning on a leash. The Chinese are very smart and law abiding.

The Chinese regularly eat dog as part of their diet. They eat dog at New year like we eat turkey. You see them with fattened little puppies up to the holiday and then you see the butchered carcass hanging on the balcony. Dog meat is for sale in all the big grocery stores. They must keep the hind paw on to prove that it is dog. Fascinating. I think starting this tradition in Thailand would be a good thing. Many Chinese people have dogs but they do not run free. People take them out in the evening or morning on a leash. The Chinese are very smart and law abiding.

Seeing what soi dogs eat, I don't think their meat is that yummy. Same as with rats, the ones that eat rice from the fields after the harvest taste good, but nobody will eat a sewer rat.

There has been a lot of talk lately about soi dogs on this website and there are a few low lifes who feel that these innocent dogs deserve the barbaric treatment that they receive. These creatures, given the chance, could be the best friend you ever had I just don't understand how some people can be so heartless and cruel. Some quote from Mark Twain "“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.” Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”

"to error is human to forgive is canine" These spirits have just as much right to be here as we do, their unfortunate plight was caused by uncaring selfish scum that put money ahead of all else.

• Like 1