Where are the best proper chips in Pattaya?

champers

...the fish is always fresh white texture, without bones (not a bottom feeding breed) and cooked perfectly and at 149 baht priced very well

At 149B I suppose that it will be Tilapia, such as one would get in every cheap F&C shop here that I know of. "Bottom-feeding" is the least one should worry about with this fish (which isn't to say that I dont eat it as the fillets are indeed white and boneless and tasty enough).

I believe mostly they serve Dory fish

I believe mostly they serve Dory fish

Absolutely. Well-spotted. I had Tilapia on the brain as I was eating it at the time of writing!

For their cheaper menu F&C shops here do indeed use "Pacific Dory" which is more commonly known as Panga (or Basa or catfish or cobbler) from the latin Pangasius. Extensively farmed in Vietnam and elsewhere nearby, and often found as frozen fillets in supermarkets worldwide including Thailand.

Worth a try is "Wanna Break" in Soi Yamato almost opposite the Dogs <deleted>.

Two poached eggs, beans and chips (proper chips and a generous portion) for 85 baht unless it has recently gone up.

• Like 1

Worth a try is "Wanna Break" in Soi Yamato almost opposite the Dogs <deleted>.

Two poached eggs, beans and chips (proper chips and a generous portion) for 85 baht unless it has recently gone up.

I've eaten there several times and it is indeed worth trying and fair value. Not sure that they have the "best chips in town", but they are certainly better than many places.

I'm going to vote chips (or french fries) from an unlikely location. Visit Hachiban Ramen (big red 8 sign) restaurants and order their french fries. They're amazing. You only get about 12 - 15 for 48 baht, but they're a true delicacy. The tomato sauce they come with is very good too. The order probably won't be big enough for some people, but consider them a treat.

Edit: Should have mentioned locations: There's 3 of these restaurants in Pattaya. 1. Ground floor Central Center on 2nd Road (adjacent to MK). 2. Tukcom - ground floor 3. 6th floor Central Festival - Beach Road.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

My favourite Pattaya restaurant (English owned).....serves better fish & chips than any that I have had in England.....

The chips are always crisp on the outside and soft in the middle.......the fish is always fresh white texture, without bones (not a bottom feeding breed) and cooked perfectly and at 149 baht priced very well

Oh....and I am English

Where is it?

OK if I "have" to let the cat out of the bag "Pattini" in Soi Bukhao

But if I can't get a seat on my next visit

Woe will betide you all for forcing it out of me

A really well run clean, light and bright restaurant

English owned and the names "Patitini"????????

English owned and the names "Patitini"????????

What difference does the name make? And since when does the owner of a restaurant have to use a name from his home country?

It doesn't make any difference, and I did not say he had to use a name from his home country. I just found it strange an Englishman using an Italian name. If I started a business here in Thailand, I would not call it Somchais. Not that there is anything wrong with Somchai.

If a Thai opened a restaurant in the UK, would he call it Smiths?

• Like 1

What difference does the name make? And since when does the owner of a restaurant have to use a name from his home country?

It doesn't make any difference, and I did not say he had to use a name from his home country. I just found it strange an Englishman using an Italian name. If I started a business here in Thailand, I would not call it Somchais. Not that there is anything wrong with Somchai.

If I opened a restaurant I would call it something that reflected the nature of the food and the decor, not where I came from or where I was.

So if I opened a Thai restaurant somewhere I might well call it Somchai's, even though that's not my name. Patini's decor has a sort of Mediterranean cafe feel to it (even if they do sell fish and chips and Sunday roasts: where doesn't on Soi Buakow?), so it seems reasonable to give it a Mediterranean-sounding name.

Do you think the new place on the corner of Soi 5 in Jomtien is actually owned by a bloke called Da Vinci? I don't. I think it's called that because it's Italian style.

Besides which, for all we know the English owner of Patini's might be Fred Patini. Ever heard of Charles Forte?

If I opened a restaurant I would call it something that reflected the nature of the food and the decor, not where I came from or where I was.

So if I opened a Thai restaurant somewhere I might well call it Somchai's, even though that's not my name. Patini's decor has a sort of Mediterranean cafe feel to it (even if they do sell fish and chips and Sunday roasts: where doesn't on Soi Buakow?), so it seems reasonable to give it a Mediterranean-sounding name.

Do you think the new place on the corner of Soi 5 in Jomtien is actually owned by a bloke called Da Vinci? I don't. I think it's called that because it's Italian style.

Besides which, for all we know the English owner of Patini's might be Fred Patini. Ever heard of Charles Forte?

Good post. I do not live in Pattaya, but I am going down there for a few days on Thursday, and being booked into a guest house near there, I will drop into Pattinis for some fish and chips, and no, I have never heard of Charles Forte.

.... I will drop into Pattinis for some fish and chips ....

Do try it, though personally I like some of their other dishes more than their F&Cs. Try the liver and onion casserole and the chicken Kiev. Both around 150B with peas, and chips/mash. For F&Cs I would probably walk round to the Fryday place in New Plaza and get their 99B special.

.... I will drop into Pattinis for some fish and chips ....

Do try it, though personally I like some of their other dishes more than their F&Cs. Try the liver and onion casserole and the chicken Kiev. Both around 150B with peas, and chips/mash. For F&Cs I would probably walk round to the Fryday place in New Plaza and get their 99B special.

Thanks KK I don't like onions but coming from Scotland, I sure miss fish and chips.

• 2 weeks later...
Phil Conners, on 07 May 2014 - 18:06, said:

Pattini was opened by an Italian and later sold (to a British, idk) who kept the name. No mystery there. wink.png

Pattini's was actually opened by an American Sicilian and sold when he moved to Korat. He opened the same here in Korat