Phuket Airport officials asked to target bags of undisclosed cash: Australian Federal Police

webfact

Anything to declare? Airport officials asked to target bags of undisclosed cash
Phuket Gazette

1_2014423135145566_ECLZafihNPFidJjgTLJhU
Glenn Tankard of the Australian Federal Police (AFP) asked officials to target people carrying large amounts of undisclosed cash. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- Officers at Phuket International Airport have been asked to target people carrying large amounts of undisclosed cash in the ongoing battle to crack down on transnational crime.

The request comes from Glenn Tankard of the Australian Federal Police (AFP). Mr Tankard was in Phuket early this month in his role as head of the Thai Transnational Crime Coordination Network (TCCN) central office in Bangkok.

“Immigration at the airport should look out for suspicious people, such as those who do not declare that they are carrying US$10,000 or more,” said Mr Tankard.

“Excess, undeclared money is a standard indicator that someone is involved in money laundering, which only arises from other crimes… This is something very small that immigration can pick up that could paint a bigger picture of a possible criminal network.”

Catching people who are trying to smuggle in large amounts of undisclosed cash can expose international criminal networks, including drug smugglers, wildlife smugglers, human traffickers and arms dealers, Mr Tankard added.

The AFP officer explained that his recent four-day visit was to follow up on a joint Thai-Australian initiative targeting transnational crime, for which a meeting of Phuket’s top-ranking police officers was held in Phuket Town in August last year (story here).

“The joint project [TCCN] between the AFP and the Royal Thai Police has been going on for about eight years. The key is the computer database in which Thai police collect and analyze intelligence, especially data about transnational crimes across the borders of Thailand,” Mr Tankard said.

“I came down here [from Bangkok] just to talk to staff who work in the transnational crimes unit, to make sure there are no problems with hardware.

“The system was initially installed at Phuket Provincial Police Station in Phuket Town about six years ago and at Phuket International Airport at the end of last year, so staff at the airport might need more training.”

THE DATABASE

The database – called the Case Management and Intelligence System (CMIS) – links all TCCN units across the country, allowing them to share intelligence on transnational crime.

“There are about 30 TCCN units throughout Thailand,” Mr Tankard said.

Maj Gen Apichat Suriboonya, head of the National Central Bureau – Interpol Bangkok office, explained to the Gazette that the CMIS also allows officers to crosscheck information about every wanted criminal in the Interpol database, which compiles information from the international crime agency’s 190 member countries.

The system can also identify all passports reported to Interpol as lost or stolen.

“The CMIS is regularly updated with the latest reports from Interpol. All the information is uploaded to our central server in Bangkok, which all TCCN units across the the country can search,” Gen Apichart said.

“It can search passports in the system by name, telephone number or any relevant information about the person. It can also match a face to a name.”

ON THE LINE

The CMIS is the same database used to verify passports used as collateral to rent cars and motorbikes in Phuket, which rental operators in Patong now submit to Interpol via the smartphone application Line (story here).

However, Mr Tankard said that the Line project was outside his remit. “I am aware of the operation launched by Interpol to check information about lost and stolen passports from all provinces in Thailand, including Phuket, but I believe it is an operation being run solely through Interpol,” he said.

“All the information sent is collected in Bangkok. The information is put into the shared system so that we can find links between stolen passports and use them to identify individuals who might be involved in the lost and stolen passport trade.”

GOING LOCAL

Following the discovery that two passports stolen in Phuket were used to board missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, Gen Apichat told the Gazette that he would like to see the CMIS made available at Patong Police Station.

“Many tourists from around the world visit Phuket, and in particular Patong, and many passports are reported as lost or stolen in Patong. That was brought to the world’s attention with the passport that was used for two passengers to board the Malaysian Airlines flight,” he explained.

“Having the CMIS at Patong Police Station can help identify any passports reported as lost or stolen that are being used by other people [other than the genuine holders].”

However, Mr Tankard said he had not been notified of any request to assist in setting up a CMIS access terminal in Patong.

“I understand that having a CMIS in Patong would make it quicker and easier for officers there to check the system. Right now, they have to ask the TCCN at Phuket Provincial Police Station to check for them.

“We are always looking into installing the software at more locations in order to gather more information, including in Phuket and other tourist destinations. However, we have yet to decide when we will set up another transnational crime center in Phuket. We are looking into it.”

— Chutharat Plerin

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Anything-declare-Airport-officials-asked-target-bags/29223#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-23

They can not check on their own Aussie side ...? They should remove this guy from Thailand .... he is against Thai economy............biggrin.png

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

Rubbish..... I managed to get well over US$100,000 into Thailand simply by having it wired in over a few months by western union and just picking it up from many of their terminals.... easy peasy.

Yes, so you declared it (because believe me, the banks will know this transaction came in). The OP is about undeclared transactions.

Rubbish..... I managed to get well over US$100,000 into Thailand simply by having it wired in over a few months by western union and just picking it up from many of their terminals.... easy peasy.

Any transaction over $10,000 is "reportable" by the financial institution, so, it's on record, with Government, how much you moved, when you moved it, where you moved it and who you moved it to.

Then, they match that up with your declared income at the end of the financial year, and if you can't justify where your $100,000US came from Eg. sale of a house etc - you will eventually be audited, with the possibility of a fine and paying the asociated taxes.

If you wanted to fly under the radar, you should have made irregular transactions of $9,990 - not reportable, and not illegal. :)

• Like 1

Some time ago at Heathrow Airport, a sniffer dog started sniffing around my bag. Now, I had nothing dodgy in there, as far as I knew, but you get a bit worried, just in case something has been planted. The police arrived and they asked not about drugs but about banknotes. And sure enough, I had a wad of foreign, low-denomination banknotes in my bag as a gift for someone in Thailand for his collection.

The police realised that I was not an international money launderer and let me on way.

I had no idea up until then that they used sniffer dogs for this. I don't think I have ever seen a sniffer dog (possibly seen a couple of soi dogs) at a Thai Airport.

Anyway, back to the article: I would have thought the Thais would be more interested in money leaving the country in suitcases rather than coming in. Though as most of these suitcases would belong to "influential persons", they would probably ignore it anyway.

Not wishing to appear pedantic, but is this really the job of the Immigration ? Surely it should be the Customs

I think immigration officers would let customs officers know that a certain individual enters Thailand, stays a short time, then leaves, and enters again soon after, and has been doing so for a while, so he/she should be searched.

Possible drug runs or money laundering - they should be searched, thoroughly. After all, that's their job.

Not wishing to appear pedantic, but is this really the job of the Immigration ? Surely it should be the Customs

I think immigration officers would let customs officers know that a certain individual enters Thailand, stays a short time, then leaves, and enters again soon after, and has been doing so for a while, so he/she should be searched.

Possible drug runs or money laundering - they should be searched, thoroughly. After all, that's their job.

Thanks, but you are not addressing the question. What you said is acceptable BUT whose job is it to search. Can you imagine the howls of derision I'd Immigration officers take it upon themselves to search hand baggage of those entering the border under their supervision. The checked in baggage appears after immigration, therefore that falls I to the juristriction of the Customs. As I said I don't wish to appear pedantic, but clarification is needed

Thanks, but you are not addressing the question. What you said is acceptable BUT whose job is it to search. Can you imagine the howls of derision I'd Immigration officers take it upon themselves to search hand baggage of those entering the border under their supervision. The checked in baggage appears after immigration, therefore that falls I to the juristriction of the Customs. As I said I don't wish to appear pedantic, but clarification is needed

Please show me where I said Immigration Officer should/would do any searching.

Allow me to clarify. The Immigration Officers would gather intelligence, based on an individuals passport history. That intelligence could then be passed onto Customs Officers for "targeted" searches, with their usual random serches as well. That's a full search. Hand luggage, check in luggage and body search.

I am clearly stating it is the job of Customs Officers to search, however, if Immigration Officers liaised with Customs Officers and shared information, I'm sure they would have a higher success rate with their searches for contraband.

If you were a Thai Immigration Officer, would you think something is a little suspicious that an individual enters and leaves Thailand, say, 10 times a month? Shouldn't that information be handed to Customs Officers to search this individual?

Please show me where I said Immigration Officer should/would do any searching.

Allow me to clarify. The Immigration Officers would gather intelligence, based on an individuals passport history. That intelligence could then be passed onto Customs Officers for "targeted" searches, with their usual random serches as well. That's a full search. Hand luggage, check in luggage and body search.

I am clearly stating it is the job of Customs Officers to search, however, if Immigration Officers liaised with Customs Officers and shared information, I'm sure they would have a higher success rate with their searches for contraband.

If you were a Thai Immigration Officer, would you think something is a little suspicious that an individual enters and leaves Thailand, say, 10 times a month? Shouldn't that information be handed to Customs Officers to search this individual?

Please show me where I suggested you made such a comment ! My response was from the original report not from others. During the nine years I worked in BKK, I can assure you my work expected me to travel more than the stated, but it seems as if you are being pedantic, no one mentioned immigration tipping off the Customs, my initial response was to query the OP who clearly stated that it was the job of Immigration. Which I believe is wrong. In other words trying for clarity not mumbo jumbo. Please read carefully and understand before jumping in needlessly. Many thanks

Apologies if I am mistaken but, wasn't there a Thai (TAT) initiative a few months back where they wanted to check people coming into to Thailand to make sure they HAD a wad of cash with them so as to be sure they were 'quality' tourists? thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

Crossing the German/Swiss border, it is not unusual to be subjected to a money sniffing dog test. A German national being caught with carrying an unusual amount of cash will be allowed to keep it, but once back home he'll be invited to do some explaining.

Thats not a problem i have transfered $300K and other large amounts to thailand direct from my Australian bank to my Thai bank, both govt"s know about the transaction its not money laundering

Any amount $10K or more must be declared, the bank or western union will inform the govt if you transfer more than that amount

$9,999 does not have to be declared no matter how many times you do it

Edited by nedkellylives

And no record exists of this at all. Good idea on how to very, very secretly transfer your money so governments don't know anything about it.

I wonder why every big-time criminal doesn't do this?

"“Immigration at the airport should look out for suspicious people, such as those who do not declare that they are carrying US$10,000 or more,” said Mr Tankard."

That covers just about everybody.

Also my first reaction. How useful!! This carefully considered advice could substitute just about anything after "do not declare". Watch out for people who won't say if they are carrying three cartons of cigarettes. Watch for people who don't declare they are escaping from a foreign jail. Look for people who are hiding their intention to have sex with minors.

Isn't that the goal of customs/immigration anyhow? It sounds as useful as some demented person (not NECESSARILY Australian) walking into the kitchen of a large restaurant and saying to one of the chefs, "watch out how much salt you use in the mashed potatoes" and then walking back out.

Edited by wandasloan

Ok just to add, I have done some quick homework, didn't take long and it is clearly stated that anyone bringing into Thailand 20k USD must declare it with the CUSTOMS at the point of entry's thank you good night, I rest my case

What about the person bringing in 200k USD - how do they identify them????

That's what this thread is about. :)