Kerry just delivered final warning to Russia

Lite Beer

So far Russia has done nothing to retaliate but clearly it will not last for ever.

US has frozen some bank accounts , so Russia really would not hesitate to say take all BP investments and others.

Next Russia can always stop trading in US$

Next, perhaps encourage some of its friends like NK or Iran to create "conflict"

This is one side of the scenario .

Other side is France ,along with a number of EU countries are not willing to impose sanctions or lose trade deals with Russia, not only because of gas but multi billion dollar trade deals.

One can only hope Kerry has got really strong support from all EU states otherwise US may once again end up in big boboo

As demonstrated before, you have zero knowledge or grasp on economic issues. Your China comments was based in pure ignorance and now this comment is not much better.

Russia can do zero to hurt US economy, except start a war with us. Russia holds a very modest amount of US treasuries. Micex will immediately tumble 10 to 15 percent the day tougher sanctions are imposed. US portfolio managers and investment bankers dealing in Russian markets, my wife inuded, have long since shielded, hedged or pulled back Russian/emerging market investments subject to exposure.

Russia waa alreasy teeterung in a full blown recession before Crimea and its credit rating is now poor with interest rates rising making it exceedingly more difficult for Russian banks and corporations to finance themselves. Their central bank will now have to further raise rates to defend exchange rate causing less growth and a deeper recession.

US can reduce oil prices by releases stock pile reserves sparking huge broader market sell offs that Russia cannot handle in its one stable appearing commodity. US can also compensate for EU for reduction of Energy imports from Russia making Russia virtually isolated.

Ruble already down 11% against dollar this year. I already addressed extraordinarily huge gap in between investment or money Russua has at risk in US and European markets and the amount US has at risk in Russia in another thread. US markets will likely go up when tough sanctions are imposed.

As have said before, but it was deleted, Your pride of being American is applaudable, but your understanding needs some serious growth. Why do not you ask your wife if Russia can hurt US economically

What recession are you talking about? US is printing money like micky mouse stickers with trillions in debt,

US can release oil reserves to reduce the prices? and who will it hurt?

May be you did not know but Russia is an oil rich country, http://www.whichcountry.co/top-10-largest-oilI-producing-countries-in-the-world/

I am sorry but i will not be wasting my time educating, you can believe whatever you like and time will tell.which one of us was/is right or wrong

Rising oil prices would destabilize the only commodity keeping Russia out of a full blown economic melt down.

I am not chest thumping. I am speaking economic facts not subjective beliefs.

--------

Much of the success of the Russian economy under Vladimir Putin over the past 13-14 years has been largely attributed to high oil and commodity prices, so if oil prices fall, Russia could be heavily exposed.

Oil prices are the Achilles heel of the Russian economy, according to Robert Bensh, an advisor to Mr. Boyko on Western capital markets and political systems.

Twelve years ago, the Russian federal budget balanced at $22 per barrel for oil. Today it is at $110 per barrel, said Bensh, who has been leading oil and gas companies in Ukraine for 13 years.

And if the US could get OPEC to help put further pressure on oil prices, the effect would be much more significant.

Imagine a fall to $80 per barrel and the concomitant affect that would have on an already recessed Russian economy, its balance sheet and its markets. At $80 or lower, the Russian economy would head deeper into recession, the budget and current accounts would run significant deficits, capital flight would accelerate markedly, depleting FX reserves and putting hefty downside pressure on the [Russian] ruble.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/US-Using-Oil-to-Fight-Russian-Gas-Politics-in-Ukraine.html

Falling prices will hurt Russia just as much as US, the only difference is Russia is NOT the one in trillion dollar debts.

Furthermore Saudi's will never allow for oil to go below $85 which means US$ will be dumped as a trading currency, which again will only hurt US

• Like 1

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As have said before, but it was deleted, Your pride of being American is applaudable, but your understanding needs some serious growth. Why do not you ask your wife if Russia can hurt US economically

What recession are you talking about? US is printing money like micky mouse stickers with trillions in debt,

May be you did not know but Russia is an oil rich country, http://www.whichcountry.co/top-10-largest-oilI-producing-countries-in-the-world/

I am sorry but i will not be wasting my time educating, you can believe whatever you like and time will tell.which one of us was/is right or wrong

Rising oil prices would destabilize the only commodity keeping Russia out of a full blown economic melt down.

--------

Much of the success of the Russian economy under Vladimir Putin over the past 13-14 years has been largely attributed to high oil and commodity prices, so if oil prices fall, Russia could be heavily exposed.

Oil prices are the Achilles heel of the Russian economy, according to Robert Bensh, an advisor to Mr. Boyko on Western capital markets and political systems.

Twelve years ago, the Russian federal budget balanced at $22 per barrel for oil. Today it is at $110 per barrel, said Bensh, who has been leading oil and gas companies in Ukraine for 13 years.

And if the US could get OPEC to help put further pressure on oil prices, the effect would be much more significant.

Imagine a fall to $80 per barrel and the concomitant affect that would have on an already recessed Russian economy, its balance sheet and its markets. At $80 or lower, the Russian economy would head deeper into recession, the budget and current accounts would run significant deficits, capital flight would accelerate markedly, depleting FX reserves and putting hefty downside pressure on the [Russian] ruble.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/US-Using-Oil-to-Fight-Russian-Gas-Politics-in-Ukraine.html

Falling prices will hurt Russia just as much as US, the only difference is Russia is NOT the one in trillion dollar debts.

Furthermore Saudi's will never allow for oil to go below $85 which means US$ will be dumped as a trading currency, which again will only hurt US

Watch and learn. Haha, US makes money whether prices go up or down. Lower crude prices help US economy.

Crude has dipped below $80 in August 2011. June delivery is around $100 and dropping already.

Edited by F430murci

So far Russia has done nothing to retaliate but clearly it will not last for ever.

US has frozen some bank accounts , so Russia really would not hesitate to say take all BP investments and others.

Next Russia can always stop trading in US$

Next, perhaps encourage some of its friends like NK or Iran to create "conflict"

This is one side of the scenario .

Other side is France ,along with a number of EU countries are not willing to impose sanctions or lose trade deals with Russia, not only because of gas but multi billion dollar trade deals.

One can only hope Kerry has got really strong support from all EU states otherwise US may once again end up in big boboo

As demonstrated before, you have zero knowledge or grasp on economic issues. Your China comments was based in pure ignorance and now this comment is not much better.

Russia can do zero to hurt US economy, except start a war with us. Russia holds a very modest amount of US treasuries. Micex will immediately tumble 10 to 15 percent the day tougher sanctions are imposed. US portfolio managers and investment bankers dealing in Russian markets, my wife inuded, have long since shielded, hedged or pulled back Russian/emerging market investments subject to exposure.

Russia waa alreasy teeterung in a full blown recession before Crimea and its credit rating is now poor with interest rates rising making it exceedingly more difficult for Russian banks and corporations to finance themselves. Their central bank will now have to further raise rates to defend exchange rate causing less growth and a deeper recession.

US can reduce oil prices by releases stock pile reserves sparking huge broader market sell offs that Russia cannot handle in its one stable appearing commodity. US can also compensate for EU for reduction of Energy imports from Russia making Russia virtually isolated.

Ruble already down 11% against dollar this year. I already addressed extraordinarily huge gap in between investment or money Russua has at risk in US and European markets and the amount US has at risk in Russia in another thread. US markets will likely go up when tough sanctions are imposed.

--------

Americans don't even realise how close they came to the world's reserve currency being destroyed in 2008 . But this time around with Obama actually threatening China militarily two days ago, I don't think the Chinese would take much persuasion to go along with what was suggested by the Russians in 2008......

Putin's Secret Weapon – How Russia Could Take Down America Without Firing a Single Shot

http://www.ino.com/blog/2014/04/putins-secret-weapon-how-russia-could-take-down-america-without-firing-a-single-shot/#.U1vNy6LDt-w

Edited by Asiantravel

--------

Americans don't even realise how close they came to the world's reserve currency being destroyed in 2008 . But this time around with Obama actually threatening China militarily two days ago, I don't think the Chinese would take much persuasion to go along with the findings of Casey research

http://www.ino.com/blog/2014/04/putins-secret-weapon-how-russia-could-take-down-america-without-firing-a-single-shot/#.U1vNy6LDt-w

I have already addressed how this is a non-issue, would crush China and not hurt US except marginally in short term lending rate. China cannot okay ball because they cannot afford to have their currency appreciate. They have no other means to manipulate their currency.

As to 2008, I can spend all day talking about CMOs, what happened and why I spent the better part of 5 years litigating these claims for large banks, 2 security firms and AIG. That is another topic altogether

Edited by F430murci

Tinfoil Hat Brigade Alert

Well guys your B session was obviously good for you but this is a bogus news articles from a bogus source, put up by people with an agenda (not your agenda).

More concern to Kerry and the USA at the moment is the Yankees pitcher who put pine tar on his neck. Sorry to bust your bubble when you guys are whooping it up and having so much fun but

reality bites biggrin.png

I like John Kerry and his work on many levels.

I like his choice of words: "... distraction, deception, destabilization" ... " of a democratic process".

I like to visualize his picture of " ukrainian forces killing ... five members of Russian military operation" without casualties to the glorious Ukraine.

I also like the idea of Kerry personally leading superior American soldiers into victorious battle with inferior Russian soldiers both in Poland and Ukraine. Maybe even in Moscow?

He is right. It will be very costly. But who pays?

cheesy.gifcoffee1.giftongue.png

Now I remembered. About 50 years back (+/-) China had territorial clashes with USSR (Russia) and border fights were the order of the day.

I remember "186th final warning to USSR" . Bravo, Mr. Kerry! You are first in line.

Now I remembered. About 50 years back (+/-) China had territorial clashes with USSR (Russia) and border fights were the order of the day.

I remember "186th final warning to USSR" . Bravo, Mr. Kerry! You are first in line.

I actually feel sorry for Kerry. He is just a mouth piece for weak man trying to save face for Putin making him his beotch over Snowden and Syria. Obama is not only an embarrassment, he is becoming dangerous due to his inability to properly handle situations and the fact that no one with any power has true respect for him.

• Like 1

Good article.

----------

Thousands of Russian troops are maneuvering along the border, with Russian fighter jets entering Ukraines airspace. Ukrainian leaders have warned that border crossings by any soldiers will be considered an invasion, even while the country pursues military operations against a pro-Russian rebellion in the east. Washington and Moscow hurl ever more heated pronouncements. The first casualties lie in fresh graves.

No less an authority than Gen. Philip M. Breedlove of the United States Air Force, NATOs supreme allied commander in Europe, has said Russia could overrun eastern Ukraine in three to five days. In other words, Russia could basically achieve its goal of creating a neutral, weak Ukraine almost instantly.

But will it?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/world/europe/for-russia-negatives-seem-to-outweigh-positives-of-an-invasion.html?hpw&rref=world&_r=0&referrer=

At first glance, the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin, seems to have strong reasons to dispatch his tanks: shaping the Ukraine he wants well before elections scheduled for May 25 put a new, legitimate government in place; reclaiming an area that was historically part of Russia; gaining direct access to natural resources and factories that have been crucial to Moscows military-industrial complex since Soviet times. And his land grab of Crimea in March made him wildly popular at home.

Yet the reasons for Mr. Putin to refrain from further military adventurism make a longer, more tangled list: the cost of a huge occupation force and the responsibility for the welfare of millions more people; the effect of new, more severe Western sanctions on an already weak economy; the possibility of significant Russian casualties caused by an insurgency in eastern Ukraine; a new, implacably anti-Russian western section of Ukraine; and likely pariah status internationally.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/world/europe/for-russia-negatives-seem-to-outweigh-positives-of-an-invasion.html?hpw&rref=world&_r=0&referrer=

• Like 2

if Russia hit us directly it would be there last action ever they can`t afford a war with the usa.they are way out gunned they wouldn`t stand a chance they would have to send there nukes and they would be shot down over the ocean.i don`t think china would interfere they are not as close as you think

Kerry and the entire US State Department is a very very dangerous unit.

The US needs to take a step back unless they want a full scale conflict with Russia..... This is NOT a tin pot country we are talking about, this is a superstate with backing from China... It will NEVER yield to the US bully boy rhetoric.

A very tricky time is upon us, and as usual the yanks are stoking it.

It is time the UK pulled away from supporting this dumbass regime, because the UK will probably be the first target on the hit list while the US knows they will be the last and have the luxury of pulling back after plenty of damage has been done to its supporters.

Let's just hope if an attack is inevitable... They hit the US directly.

I repeat..... RUSSIA WON'T BACK DOWN... THEY HAVE TOO MUCH PRIDE.

The US needs to take a step back unless they want a full scale conflict with Russia..... This is NOT a tin pot country we are talking about, this is a superstate with backing from China... It will NEVER yield to the US bully boy rhetoric.

It is time the UK pulled away from supporting this dumbass regime, because the UK will probably be the first target on the hit list while the US knows they will be the last and have the luxury of pulling back after plenty of damage has been done to its supporters.

ooooooooo....i'm ascared

I actually feel sorry for Kerry. He is just a mouth piece for weak man trying to save face for Putin making him his beotch over Snowden and Syria. Obama is not only an embarrassment, he is becoming dangerous due to his inability to properly handle situations and the fact that no one with any power has true respect for him.

Articulated well. I almost don't blame Putin. With Obama in power, he is pretty much assured of getting away with an invasion. How could a power-mad, geopolitical chess player resist?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

you mean Russia is too ignorant! And let's hope fools like you are present when an attack will happen, to catch the first hit. You have no idea what you are saying i guess. hiding away in asia under some stone thinking it is good for you all this garbage... <Deleted> RUSSIA. this is exactly what happend before,when one can take small teritory, without anyone doing something about it. Or you believe this bastard Putin will be friendly to you? Unless you are an ignorant russian too. Thailand as well as The UK have the last decades of relative good life to thank to the US. so being here, remind yourself of to why you are in Thailand and not Laos or Cambodia or some other backward area.

Edited by Scott

A lot of posts that are off-topic or inflammatory have been removed along with replies. Posts critical of the news source have also been removed along with replies.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. There have been a lot of inflammatory posts directed at other posters which have nothing to do with the topic. Continuing will result in a warning and a suspension.

Good article.

----------

Thousands of Russian troops are maneuvering along the border, with Russian fighter jets entering Ukraines airspace. Ukrainian leaders have warned that border crossings by any soldiers will be considered an invasion, even while the country pursues military operations against a pro-Russian rebellion in the east. Washington and Moscow hurl ever more heated pronouncements. The first casualties lie in fresh graves.

No less an authority than Gen. Philip M. Breedlove of the United States Air Force, NATOs supreme allied commander in Europe, has said Russia could overrun eastern Ukraine in three to five days. In other words, Russia could basically achieve its goal of creating a neutral, weak Ukraine almost instantly.

But will it?

At first glance, the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin, seems to have strong reasons to dispatch his tanks: shaping the Ukraine he wants well before elections scheduled for May 25 put a new, legitimate government in place; reclaiming an area that was historically part of Russia; gaining direct access to natural resources and factories that have been crucial to Moscows military-industrial complex since Soviet times. And his land grab of Crimea in March made him wildly popular at home.

Yet the reasons for Mr. Putin to refrain from further military adventurism make a longer, more tangled list: the cost of a huge occupation force and the responsibility for the welfare of millions more people; the effect of new, more severe Western sanctions on an already weak economy; the possibility of significant Russian casualties caused by an insurgency in eastern Ukraine; a new, implacably anti-Russian western section of Ukraine; and likely pariah status internationally.

Russia does not want Ukrainian soil.

Russia did not want Crimean soil.

But they did take some. And will take more if pushed against the wall.

The cost to Russia is going to be great - not because of the silly counterproductive 'sanctions' - but

because now Russia has XXX millions of Crimeans to be supported.

Stop demonizing Russia. Stop canonizing USA as Saints.

Russia will not tolerate NATO on its borders. And all the piss weak states around Russia are making themselves targets.

I'm not pro-Russian. It is logic pure and simple.

As to personalities - Obama is no match to Putin.

One speaks reason, is calm, logical, presents factual arguments and has real power (not a Good Thing).

The other one utters only slogans, is emotional, illogical, presents rumors cooked by mass media and has no real power in his country ( a Good Thing).

The rest of the world is placing bets on favourites, on who is stronger, who is more resolved and who will win. I am afraid it is a no win situation.

You're right.

Darn that USA. Sneaky waskels. For sure Russia will show them "how it's done!"

OMG and all this time I just thought she was a dumb ass bimbo based on just that one statement! Ah that is sarcasm for those that can't recognize. At least Kerry is no dumb ass, just a sell out that has become part of the government propaganda program.

I still think she looks pretty decent considering her age.

palin2.jpg

I know John personally, he was no coward in Vietnam and he spoke truth to the power at great risk. The swift boat liars were just that, liars. They got called that and it was proved at a Texas Tech Vietnam Symposium by Vietnam Vets that know John. The swift boat liars were nothing but a bunch of chicken livered lying cowards, I know, I was there as part of Vietnam Veterans Against the War. Ah, I'm not exactly into 'peace, love, dope and good vibes', although VVAW was at least non-violent. The DVD is available from Texas Tech if you want to watch a take down of the liars. I can't say anything good for John for the past many years, would not call him a friend by any means, not even back in the day (I did like his first wife-drank a bit of Boones Farm with her...lol) he sold out to the powers that be and wouldn't even fight obvious election fraud in Ohio.

And good god, I wouldn't touch Sarah Palin with a 10 ft. pole, repulsive woman physically and mentally, Yingluck, who I do not like either, on the other hand....... . Then again, I don't like farang women in general.

Hey, I drove V8's also, and pretty fast ones, starting with a brand new 1963 409, 4spd SS, finished with an '02 Camaro SS-stock 12.68, had a few trophies. What, you live in Thailand and like farang women? Yea, I'm funny that way, I don't, doesn't take anything away from the rest of the post. And no, I really wouldn't either one, especially that bimbo palin. I'll defend John from back in the day, I won't defend his actions lately.

The problem with issuing threats, ultimatums and warnings, sooner or later you had better back it up or you make yourself look like a fool.

I hear Assad is still quaking in his flip flops after Obamas red line warning about chemical weapons, what wrong Mr Prez, forgotten about that have you? Bigger fish to fry now, sabre rattling in the Far East?

Thats a good boy.

• Like 1

The funny thing about this is that the issue has gone off the rails. Crimea was historically Russia since 1783. No argument on that. The Russians ceded the territory to the Ukraine in 1954 when everyone was part of the USSR. No argument there. When the Ukraine left the USSR, it can be argued that the Crimea should have/could have reverted to the new Russian federation. The issue was ignored at the time because the Ukraine was still an ally of Russia and Russia was still given quasi jurisdiction over the Crimea. The game changed when the Ukraine moved towards Europe. Ukraine was no longer an assured ally, but a potentially hostile nation with the serious implication that Russia would have lost its strategic naval base. Had Russia and the Ukraine dealt with the issue in a mature and responsible manner this matter could have been resolved over time. Unfortunately, the political machinations and meddling of all of the vested foreign interests, Russian, European, American, buggered it up.

The issue isn't the absorption of the Crimea into Russia. The world really doesn't care. However, the fundamental issue is the manner in which Russia has gone about this matter. It engaged in a defacto invasion, used covert operations, run a bogus referendum, and has bullied the Ukraine to obtain the Crimea. That is why many countries are upset. If they do not stand up to Russia, it sets a precedent. What's next? The Baltic republics, parts of Poland?

The funny thing about this is that the issue has gone off the rails. Crimea was historically Russia since 1783. No argument on that. The Russians ceded the territory to the Ukraine in 1954 when everyone was part of the USSR. No argument there. When the Ukraine left the USSR, it can be argued that the Crimea should have/could have reverted to the new Russian federation. The issue was ignored at the time because the Ukraine was still an ally of Russia and Russia was still given quasi jurisdiction over the Crimea. The game changed when the Ukraine moved towards Europe. Ukraine was no longer an assured ally, but a potentially hostile nation with the serious implication that Russia would have lost its strategic naval base. Had Russia and the Ukraine dealt with the issue in a mature and responsible manner this matter could have been resolved over time. Unfortunately, the political machinations and meddling of all of the vested foreign interests, Russian, European, American, buggered it up.

The issue isn't the absorption of the Crimea into Russia. The world really doesn't care. However, the fundamental issue is the manner in which Russia has gone about this matter. It engaged in a defacto invasion, used covert operations, run a bogus referendum, and has bullied the Ukraine to obtain the Crimea. That is why many countries are upset. If they do not stand up to Russia, it sets a precedent. What's next? The Baltic republics, parts of Poland?

The game changes when US officials got busted meddling in Ukraine affairs and making "choices" who THEY will put into power to rule.

Pralaad, thanks for putting up the links, hopefully some with watch. Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez put together a good, honest program. I don't think we will see an exact repeat of the 'Cold War', but there certainly is a chill in the air. The circumstances are different than the 50's, although the US is back in a 'McCarthy era' for sure. There is a lot more to play out over the coming days and weeks.