Firefox 29 Launches With Major Redesign, Firefox Account Integration

george

FF29 installed itself today even though I had chosen the selection to advise of updates but not install.

So I installed Classic Theme restorer which fixes the tabs.

Now I can't find a way to get the reload button out of the address bar and back to where it was. Anyone found a way to do this?

It's gonna stay in the address bar. However, you can go get another one and put it wherever. Get it via View | Toolbars | Customize. The button is among the others in the list.

Edited by JSixpack

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just downloaded this, definitely very fast loading not that old version 27 was usually that bad... thumbsup.gif

I used the Tab Mix add on, to try and improve the tabs, but don't see a lot of difference.. Small faded very grey or red typebah.gif . .... perhaps need to play with it... ?

Thanks Tywais and Astral for comment on that!

Other than tabs, I don't any difference in the look.... on the display page! (on Mac btw)! wink.png

Just downloaded this, definitely very fast loading not that old version 27 was usually that bad... thumbsup.gif

I used the Tab Mix add on, to try and improve the tabs, but don't see a lot of difference.. Small faded very grey or red typebah.gif . .... perhaps need to play with it... ?

Thanks Tywais and Astral for comment on that!

Other than tabs, I don't any difference in the look.... on the display page! (on Mac btw)! wink.png

Need to open Tools > Options > Tab Mix Plus Options > select Tab > Customize Styles

Then you can choose for each tab status different fonts, colors, background, etc.

One of my favorite add-ons. We should start a thread to post our top 5.

Generally I'm pretty impressed with Firefox 29 now that I'm getting used to it.

At first it was a shock! Many add-ons were disabled! My custom toolbars didn't have any icons anymore! The icons on the Add-on toolbars were jammed onto the Main toolbar.

I've managed to resolve those issues by installing New Add-on Bar extension, installing All-In One Sidebar extension, restoring defaults on the customize page, installing a new version of Free Download Manager which still had problems but the FDM forums have suggestions how to get the new FDM working on Firefox 29.

I rearranged the icons on the two Toolbars, so I ended up with more room for the browser windows and the screen looks less cluttered. I also removed add-ons that corrected the Firefox 4 bugs or weren't necessary or incompatible anymore. No big loss. It took me a half-day mucking about with it.

IMO Firefox has never worked better! Starts quickly, pages load quickly, scrolling is quick, and it's not as much of a memory hog! The find bar is pretty cool when place at the top using the latest FindBar Tweak. Doesn't occupy a full line, more like a popup in the browser window. Which is what it should be! I like the idea that the customizations are done in the new customization tab and that all the tabs are present in the Add-ons Manager Tab. It allows me to see the changes I make to either.

With Firefox 26+, I was constantly having Flash Player crashes! Now not one crash! Even though it's a major change, it's much less painful than the upgrade to Firefox 4 and much better! I've always used TabMix Plus, so the new tabs look great! Yes, you don't need to log-in to use Firefox unless you want automatically sync your installations. It's your choice. Personally I don't like cloud based storage. You have no control over your data.

I have other methods of Syncing like zipping up the profile folder and moving it to another computer. Great for backups! Although it's not as necessary because I believe Firefox 29 does better job of blocking modifications to Firefox from an external program. That was the issue with the FDM update.

Personally I've never like the idea of pinning a tab. I very rarely used it.

IMO I'm glad Mozilla made the change! I'm sure there will be others who disagree. thumbsup.gif

I stand corrected, you can pin a tab from the Tab menu. You can't pin it using drag and drop like before. Like I said, I very rarely used it. I wanted to set the record straight because I know others will jump all over me for the statement.

I ran out of editing time in my original post, so I'm doing it in a new post.

Edited by BB1950

I have other methods of Syncing like zipping up the profile folder and moving it to another computer. Great for backups! Although it's not as necessary because I believe Firefox 29 does better job of blocking modifications to Firefox from an external program. That was the issue with the FDM update.

You may already be familiar with these but for those that don't.

Mozbackup - Does full backup up your profile so don't need looking for where that profile is to zip it. smile.png

FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension). Allows to set automatically scheduled backups.

I use both, FEBE in case I forget to run Mozbackup. It runs without my having to think about it and keeps previous backup iterations.

• Like 1

I hate it. I'm set for automatic updates and it automatically gave it to me.

The tabs I'm not using go dark. Why? I have a couple of throw-away Yahoo email accounts and I always keep that tab open. I used to be able to see if the tab was telling me I had mail, but not anymore.

I see no purpose nor can I imagine what they were thinking when they decided I wouldn't want to see all of my tabs clearly.

Well, go get Classic Theme Restorer: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/.

You can get the add-on toolbar back with it too. smile.png

Perfect. Thanks. :)

You may already be familiar with these but for those that don't.

Mozbackup - Does full backup up your profile so don't need looking for where that profile is to zip it. smile.png

FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension). Allows to set automatically scheduled backups.

I use both, FEBE in case I forget to run Mozbackup. It runs without my having to think about it and keeps previous backup iterations.

Thanks Tywais, Good point! thumbsup.gif

I'm aware of both of the those. There's also

BackupFox 0.73.0.13

I use all three depending on my needs. The good thing about BackupFox, it doesn't need to be installed and can be put on a USB memory stick to move the backup to another computer. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for a very long time. But I haven't had any issues. It uses an older version of 7Zip.

Edited by BB1950

just keep in mind, add-ons are of unknown security and probably help fingerprint your browser that is why Tor doesn't allow you to use any? though, if you have any Thai fonts installed in your system, maybe your already fingerprinted, i was noticing youtube.com when I use Opera, knows what I looked at years ago in another browswer, though I have long since deleted the LSO supercookie, etc, i really don't like that .......

Wow, this sucks far less than I imagined it would.

Get it via View | Toolbars | Customize. The button is among the others in the list.

I don't have a reload page button in my list and I can't drag the one in the address bar into the list. Any ideas?

Get it via View | Toolbars | Customize. The button is among the others in the list.

I don't have a reload page button in my list and I can't drag the one in the address bar into the list. Any ideas?

Can't be done without some addon. Just checked a Firefox support site and support states it can't be moved but are considering it for a new version. A lot of people are complaining about that. At the moment you have the Classic theme restorer which has been mentioned.

• Like 2

Just had update to FF 30 already ..... this is hard to keep up with! biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

Thanks for tips everyone.... the add on tips is a good idea! thumbsup.gif

You must be on the Beta channel updates as I see no stable release for 30 yet, scheduled June 2014.

ah now you mention it, yes.... see no problems so far.... So will keep going with it ... I guess they did not have the 29 ready for Mac ... rolleyes.gif

Seeing it seems faster, I will try some Telly watching, then if that works OK, I will get rid of Chrome, which I totally dislike ...bah.gif

there's a little one inside the url bar on the right, that or right-click or ctrl +r etc

No status bar!

crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.ENG_hyc8Gu.gif

There hasn't been a fixed status bar for several versions now. It is dynamic now. For example, if you put your cursor over a link such as your username it will show up at the bottom left. One of the nice things is on the tab it has a % bar showing how much has loaded.

post-566-0-65856900-1399178716_thumb.jpg

I like this Firefox 29, and thanks to the guys here on the topic that know "stuff" I added a few things

For some reason the letters are much more clearer on FF than Chrome.

Now spell checking is on but when I post this I can write caaaaar (should be car) and no correction/red line?? How do I sort that?

No status bar at the bottom that will let you set icons on it. It had been optional for a while (activate by right-click on tool bar).

Maybe there will be an add-on...

That thing with the spelling checker has been weird for a long time, it may be a tv thing, or maybe one of my add-ons messes it up, or whatever. I tried to figure it out a few years ago when I first noticed it but gave up.

It worked! The status bar is back. Thanks for this.