Tourist Visa Report - Penang, Malaysia (May 2014)

This is really not much new to report different from previous reports here. My first time at this one. This is what happened with me (US American).

Wasn’t too sure how things were going to go here. There are old reports here of problems, but it seems to be a pretty standard place for visas here now.
Depending on where you stay in Penang, you may not be too close to the Consulate. I walked from where I am staying, but it was only a mile or so for me. It’s not too far outside George Town but I don’t know what bus route passes nearby. Any taxi will take you there.
You’ll need to have 2 passport-sized photos, a photocopy of your passport, and the completed form you can download or grab at the window there.
There is a guy with a van parked outside who can take passport photos for you and copy your passport. Photocopies are 2RM (20Baht), and I think the photos were 20RM (200Baht) for 8 (I already had my photos and didn't write it down).
This was a Friday, so I don’t really know how crowded it is on other days. Today it was not bad at all.
I got there before they opened at 9am, and there was already a small crowd. They opened the gate while I was still getting a copy of my passport at the van guy. So the entire crowd went in before me, and I was still only number 10.
Once I filled out the form, the wait was only 10 minutes or so, and no need to wait for your number. It was just get in line and wait your turn.
I was listening to see if anyone was being hassled about anything, and I could hear no problems for anyone while I was there.
Paid the 110RM and was given a note to come back the same day for pickup. I was expecting overnight (so Monday, which was closed for holiday, so really Tuesday), was glad to know it would be the same day so I could be done with it after lunch instead of after the weekend.
The pickup took a bit of time, but they got it going after a while and I was out of there by 330pm.
No questions asked, just called my name and handed the passport back.
Very pleasant experience as far as these things go.
This was for a Tourist Visa. I can’t speak on other types. The form didn't even have a spot to request multiple visas that I noticed. This was for a single-entry only.
You Need:
  • Passport
  • Photocopy of passport
  • 2 Passport Photos
  • The application form
  • 110RM (about 1100 Baht)

Very simple, the staff were all very friendly and informative, and it was a very relaxed atmosphere.

• Like 2

Bit off topic but.....The Non B application requires you to personally submit your docs, the visa agents at the Banana Guest house only mention this when you've handed over your documents and the extra 40 RM, they stuff you in a minibus, give your docs back to you with the cash you gave them (minus the 40 RM fee they charge) stapeled to one of your doc pages and drive you to the consulate, but they do collect it for you the next afternoon for you to pick up at their guesthouse. For an extra 20 RM (30 RM per day) you can rent a motorbike for a couple of days and do it yourself and ride around the Island too.

Mr. Nomad ... where did you stay that it was only about a mile from the consulate? Boy, that's close. What's the name of the place? Details ... like dorm room / single room, and the cost, and anything else about the place? How'd you get there and get back? I'm still here, and suppose I'll take the van back though I don't know yet if Thailand is banning Malaysian vans from going into Thailand. When I came last Thursday, I took a van from Hat Yai but we all had to get off at the border and a Malaysian van picked us up. Made the otherwise 4-hour trip longer. I asked a few people but nobody could give me a definitive answer. A Malaysian guy though said it might be that the Malaysian van operators complained. But, for me anyways, that raises a question or two further. Never mind that.

I sure didn't think the guy at the consulate taking the application and then handing back passports was "friendly" but he was informative. Par for the course really. I'm also American and was there the same day as you. Also had no troubles at all. The manager at Mingood Hotel told me that I'd better get to the consulate early because, since the previoius day was a holiday, tons of people would be going to get visas that Friday. But like you say, it was pretty light.

Mr. Nomad ... where did you stay that it was only about a mile from the consulate? Boy, that's close. What's the name of the place? Details ... like dorm room / single room, and the cost, and anything else about the place? How'd you get there and get back?

I'm staying at a friend's condo by Gurney, so not really much help for you. Been here a few months and walked there both times on Friday. We're flying back to Bangkok.

• 2 months later...

Went on 23rd June and this report was really useful, thanks - just a few points to add:-

1) there was a notice saying that applications submitted on Friday mornings would not be ready until Monday afternoon. 2) bus 101 goes from the ferry jetty and Komtar along Jalan Kalawei - get off at the Thai buddhist temple. To return to town, get the bus in Jalan Burma. Fare is 1.40 ringgits, no change given. 3) "Collect 15:30 -16:00" actually means "We will open the window at some point between 15:30 and 16:00. Or maybe at 16:15." 5) no dress code applies - one girl didn't even have shoes! 6) we (British) had no problems but an American we met at the bus stop said that they were giving an African guy a really hard time. It was noticable that all the Africans waiting there were very smartly dressed - obviously expecting discrimination :-(

• Like 1

Arrived Penang by air 16. June and stayed at the Cititel and after a good breakfast I went down to Banana Travel on Chulia Street around 10 am. Gave them the 110 ringit for visa and another 40 for the work, collected it again at 4 pm. Very relaxing way to get a visa, I rented a mororbike and played tourist all day while others did the work for me ;)

Flew back on evening of 18 and all in all a good experience.

This topic is about tourist visas. Please check the pinned topic "Latest reports..." regarding other visas, or start a new topic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 months later...