Thailand ready to be production hub for electric appliances

Lite Beer

Many times I have been deciding what appliance to buy when the helpful salesperson's comment is "this one better, not made in Thailand, made in Japan" (could be Korea).

On the other hand they also say "this one better, made in Thailand, not in China".

Usually the sales staff tell you the best one is brand x. Typically brand x gives them the best commission. when i ask them why is brand x better they usually dont know short of saying it is more expensive.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many times I have been deciding what appliance to buy when the helpful salesperson's comment is "this one better, not made in Thailand, made in Japan" (could be Korea).

On the other hand they also say "this one better, made in Thailand, not in China".

Usually the sales staff tell you the best one is brand x. Typically brand x gives them the best commission. when i ask them why is brand x better they usually dont know short of saying it is more expensive.

Quality is a word that is not fully understood by Thais. Most of the quality products I purchased in Thailand were from western or Japanese origin. China electronics are nowadays mostly also good quality, however not the cheap ones.

Thailand a hub for electronics production? Ever been to Chenzen, Guangzou or Shanghai? Maybe in 30 years Thailand can catch up as an electronics production hub, but then a lot has to change in the paradigm of product quality, education and doing business

So this is again, like we hear all the time, big talking and little acting. Typical Thai way.

Yes, it's the 'hub', (dare I cross this threshold) of 'pood mak, tam noi' coffee1.gif

My "Made in Thailand Appliance" experience

Bought a 2 burner induction cooktop by local company starting with letter F ending with letter A it is a Japanese sounding name but I dont know if management is japanese.

Fairly pricey cooktop.

While it worked it worked very well.

Problem is the flexible membrane that covers the microswitch wore out, cracked and led to liquid seeping down to electronics. Companr repaired it while still under warranty however they DID NOT replace the liquid proof cover. They said they did not have the spare part.

Anyway, the very same problem reoccurred due to a 50% repair that did not correct the root problem.

Initial email inquiries led to the company informing me it is not their product. After I showed old emails from them to prove it is their product they agreed it was their product.

Multiple emails in english and thai have been unanswered.

An analogy could be a boat sustaining a break in the hull leading to water damage in the engine. They fix the engine but leave the hole in the hull open.

Mine was an Electrolux. I posted to their Facebook page about their garbage product and that got an immediate response from the home office, who put me in touch with Thai repair center, which is where things went south of course. No response at first. When I pestered them, they eventually agreed to take a look at it, but put so many conditions on it that the trip out to their repair center and back and then out there again would have cost me more than the price to buy a new cooker. Not to mention an aggrevating loss of time. Instead, I trash Electrolux every chance I get to-- like I'm doing right now. Utter garbage. Customer unfriendly ripoff.

Thanks for the tip off! I looked at an Electrolux fridge 2 days ago. I think I'll keep the 40k thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

In most hardware stores in Thailand every brand has it's own salesman, so when you are looking at a certain product you can be sure the salesman that approaches you is employed by that particular manufacturer.

I once had one who wanted to assure me that his product was the better choice. When I asked him why he pointed to the round pin plug. I smiled and moved on.

quality control is rubbish ,they break down and you cant get your money back or a replacement .all electricals i have bought have gone tits up in next to no time

I once had a look at an article and it had a sticker " quality cotrol " OK.

I wasn't sure if I should feel secured about the quality.

• Like 1

Most appliances made today have components sourced from all over the world, much like cars. Just because the pieces are assembled in Thailand doesn't make them a Thai product. Fisher and Paykel, a reputable appliance manufacturer has their main regional white goods factory in Thailand and are very popular in Australia but if you open one up you will find very few components made in Thailand. As for '' they don't make them like they used to" comments, yes they do, but very very few people are willing to pay the price they command today. We are all conditioned to paying a price for a product based on the manufacturer putting it together in a low wage, third world country. That's why my factory and myself are in Thailand and not in Australia, where I would rather be.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The thing is thaty those western companies move to third world countries to produce a below standard product, yet still charge western prices.

They don't move to these countries because they want to deliver similar product at a better price, they move there because they want to make more profit.

I have to disagree with you there. The world of consumer goods is too competitive for the average company to make excessive profits. Some that get a trendy reputation can do it but most can't. The problem is that if you have 10 companies manufacturing a product in their first world home country and one or two move their manufacturing to a low wage third world country like Thailand and then ship it back they can sell at a lower price and gain market share. The remaining companies can either match the price and probably lose money or they can follow the leaders and move. Most do the second as the other option usually ends in oblivion. Import duties can delay or prevent this but they are no longer fashionable in a lot of first world countries like Australia. The FTA we have with Thailand is probably why 1 in 4 cars sold in Australia are but here and we will shortly no longer have a car manufacturing industry.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

this is a joke, right, I mean they cannot be serious, that would mean they actually have to do something and not use totally cheap,sh*tty components and then put them together right. I honestly doubt that would be possible here after seeing how everything electrical you buy(made in Thailand) falls to pieces or just stops working after a few months.

Makes China look like paradise, .....with whiter skin! biggrin.png

It is, and has some tits too! tongue.png

I likes me some titties! Yum! licklips.gif

• Like 1

My "Made in Thailand Appliance" experience

Bought a 2 burner induction cooktop by local company starting with letter F ending with letter A it is a Japanese sounding name but I dont know if management is japanese.

Fairly pricey cooktop.

While it worked it worked very well.

Problem is the flexible membrane that covers the microswitch wore out, cracked and led to liquid seeping down to electronics. Companr repaired it while still under warranty however they DID NOT replace the liquid proof cover. They said they did not have the spare part.

Anyway, the very same problem reoccurred due to a 50% repair that did not correct the root problem.

Initial email inquiries led to the company informing me it is not their product. After I showed old emails from them to prove it is their product they agreed it was their product.

Multiple emails in english and thai have been unanswered.

An analogy could be a boat sustaining a break in the hull leading to water damage in the engine. They fix the engine but leave the hole in the hull open.

Mine was an Electrolux. I posted to their Facebook page about their garbage product and that got an immediate response from the home office, who put me in touch with Thai repair center, which is where things went south of course. No response at first. When I pestered them, they eventually agreed to take a look at it, but put so many conditions on it that the trip out to their repair center and back and then out there again would have cost me more than the price to buy a new cooker. Not to mention an aggrevating loss of time. Instead, I trash Electrolux every chance I get to-- like I'm doing right now. Utter garbage. Customer unfriendly ripoff.

Electrolux challenge. Here it is in public.

As we say, 'Sue if it ain't true'.

Have they looked into what it will take to become sufficiently competitive to achieve this objective? Thailand has been consistently losing share of FDI within ASEAN before AEC has even begun. They need to do something about education, healthcare, R&D, land leasing and foreign ownership laws just to catch up, let alone get ahead of competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Quality is a word that is not fully understood by Thais. Most of the quality products I purchased in Thailand were from western or Japanese origin. China electronics are nowadays mostly also good quality, however not the cheap ones.

Thailand a hub for electronics production? Ever been to Chenzen, Guangzou or Shanghai? Maybe in 30 years Thailand can catch up as an electronics production hub, but then a lot has to change in the paradigm of product quality, education and doing business

So this is again, like we hear all the time, big talking and little acting. Typical Thai way.

Go way with yer Ted. Every company in Thailand has a huge ISO 14001 sign at the forefront of the building.. thus TOP QUALITY GUARANTEED NOWADAYS. ;)

As I listen to the quality of B. Streisand on a quiet Sunday eve. :)

ISO 14001 is environmental not a quality standard.

I have a friend who's brother in law works at the Samsung plant in Thailand.

He told me that when the Korean bosses come over a lot of scolding and shouting happens .

I'm not sure if this is a sign that they are very satisfied with the work and intend to expand in Thailand.

If it's cheaper they will expand. Quality is secondary. However, I can't see how Thailand can be much cheaper (if at all) than anywhere else.

What do they make in Thailand that works well? I often wonder if things have always been this problem-filled. I live in a house that is 40 years old, been through periodic flooding (including two months in 2011), and is solid, no subsidence, no cracks in foundation. strong. New ones in the village are crumbling into dust. And that's housing (how do you feel living up on the 30th floor of those condos?) Electronics are at the other end of consumer products--everything purposely built to fall apart and keep customers coming back much faster than houses. That's what they mean by "consumerism." Make it shoddy and make the buying cycle faster and faster. The Samsung DVD player catching on fire while turned off and the Electrolux cooker that wouldn't turn on after a few months and the Electrolux coffee maker whose water reservoir started leaking after a month--are pushing the envelope, however.

There are 2 ways Thailand can be a " hub" one, by bringing Chinese products and re labeling

as Made in Thailand, and two, by bringing thousand of workers form neighboring countries to

men the machines as no Thai people want to get their hands dirty any more..

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Perhaps you all just like the sound of your own voice, or at the very least the sound of the voices in your heads. Thailand is a major manufacturer and exporter of cars . During the floods a few years ago, world wide computer production was affected because most hard-drives are manufactured in Thailand. If Thailand can produce quality cars, computer hard-drives ,and other things, why wouldn't Thailand be able to produce quality electrical appliances?

can some one please explain that to me

I have a friend who's brother in law works at the Samsung plant in Thailand.

He told me that when the Korean bosses come over a lot of scolding and shouting happens .

I'm not sure if this is a sign that they are very satisfied with the work and intend to expand in Thailand.

If it's cheaper they will expand. Quality is secondary. However, I can't see how Thailand can be much cheaper (if at all) than anywhere else.

This is of course not aided by the lax consumer protection law. If Thai consumers had more.protection, the quality would improve automatically because the manufacturers would lose too.much money fixing things for free.

• Like 1

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Perhaps you all just like the sound of your own voice, or at the very least the sound of the voices in your heads. Thailand is a major manufacturer and exporter of cars . During the floods a few years ago, world wide computer production was affected because most hard-drives are manufactured in Thailand. If Thailand can produce quality cars, computer hard-drives ,and other things, why wouldn't Thailand be able to produce quality electrical appliances?

Personally, I am talking about Thai companies that manufacture products for the home market. I am not refering to international companies manufacturing (or assembling) brand name products for the world market. Big BIG difference.

The local Thai manufactured products for the home market are total crap.

• Like 1

1. major manufacturer doesn't perse means quality manufacturer. the latter depends on QC, often foreign management QC.

2. 50% of the electrical appliances i bought here (thai brands though i don't know if they were actually made here or in china) failed on me within a couple of days/weeks. however, unlike the general comments here, i never had problems getting a replacement.

anyway, i'm not complaining since i'm realistic enough to know that a 199 TB toaster isn't high-technology, nor is a 399 TB dvd player

+ i'm pretty sure that the cheapest of the cheap models in the west are of the same quality.

Personally, I am talking about Thai companies that manufacture products for the home market. I am not refering to international companies manufacturing (or assembling) brand name products for the world market. Big BIG difference.

The local Thai manufactured products for the home market are total crap.

If Thailand became a hub for the production of electrical appliances, It will obviously be, by definition, for international consumption.