Rawai Vip Villas - beautiful pool villas in the prime location for sale

Phuket9

@ stevenl

Google "comparative sales."

If there are two houses side by side, on Phuket, and a Russian flys in with 10 million baht in a suitcase and is BS'd by a real estate agent and buys one of them for 10 million baht - that does not automatically mean the house next door is worth 10 million baht as well

<snip>

It means the house sold was worth 10 million Baht. It really is as simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less, that is the housing market on Phuket. It says nothing about the value of the house sold the next day, and says nothing about the value of the house next door.

But the house sold was at that moment worth 10 million.

If Phuket9 can sell his houses for 8 million, or however much he is asking, that is their worth. That next door are houses of less quality sold for the same price does not mean his houses are worth more, if on the other side the same kind of houses are sold for 4 million that does not mean his houses are worth 4 million or less. He is selling them for 8, so that is their value.

No, it means the purchaser paid over the odds. It was an "out of line sale." He paid 10 million baht for a property worth 5 million baht. He was conned, ripped off, duped or laundering money. It happens here, a lot.

If the exact same house, next door, sells the very next day for 5 million - you tell me, what is the market value of the two properties. 5 million, 7.5 million or 10 million.

If the Russian sold his 10 million baht house, the very next day, to another foolish Russian for 20 million baht - would you say the property market on Phuket has risen 100% in 24 hours - NO. It's an "out of line sale."

To properly value property, you need reliable "comparative sales" data and that's very difficult on Phuket because there are so many "out of line sales" here, not to mention the constant oversupply of property and town planning issues here and the complete lack of due diligence by many foreigners here.

For example, a property that sold for 15 million today, may only be worth 5 million next month because they have built a pig farm next to it and there's nothing the owner can do about it.

Right, so many 'out of line sales' it is impossible to value. So we agree: it is worth what it is sold for, nothing more, nothing less.

No, I don't agree that the market value of a property is what someone who has not done due diligence, or has been conned, or is laundering money, pays for the property.

If I had to value a property on Phuket, because I was considering buy it, using the 30 year land lease for a foreigner, I would guage the value of the property roughly as follows.

Given the property was new, or near new, and the property, or similar properties in the area, rented for say 20,000 baht per month. My formula would be as follows:

20,000 baht x 12 months = 240,000 baht

240,000 baht x 30 years = 7,200,000 baht

Given inflation, but also the oversupply of property here, also a decreasing land lease year by year - land which I don't own, and repairs and maintanence due to poor construction, possible management fees and taxes, taking all these into consideration - I would value the property at roughly 8 million to 8.5 million baht.

Now, if some fresh off the plane, first timer, who falls in love with a bar girl and pays 20 million for the same property - I would not value the property at 20 million baht, as you would, because the particular sale is an "out of line sale." The property is still only worth about 8 to 9 million baht.

The above is only one very very small part of many complex methods, and mixture of methods, used in the valuation of property in western countries, but Phuket being unique for its many out of line sales, and taking into account the inability for foreigners to own land here, I would roughly use the above formula, especially bearing in mind, after 30 years, you may have to pay for the land use again.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Now, if some fresh off the plane, first timer, who falls in love with a bar girl and pays 20 million for the same property - I would not value the property at 20 million baht, as you would, because the particular sale is an "out of line sale."

If that is your understanding of my reasoning, you have not understood it at all. So good luck with your valuations.

No one in phuket knows how to value, ex car and time share salespeople most of them the way they act

My father was a registered agent with his own busines,i was a licensed salesperson and spent 2 years

learning how to value and sell real estate

But never really liked doing it the way it operated so left the industry, my son is a registered real estate agent with

his own successful business. was the top seller in WA i think either last year or the year before

His web site is <link removed> since you are in the business he may give you a few clues, everyone in

real estate sales here needs help in how to value and sell, you are not opposition to him so he may help you

No one can be dead accurate in pricing but if you know what you are doing which most people dont here your valued

price will be very close to the selling price as long as the market is not booming, so that is not a problem with valueing now

Regards,

Ned

Real Estate Agents give "market appraisals."

Registered Valuers give "valuations" and to become a registered valuer thats a 3 to 4 year university degree.

Big difference.

Also, one receives a commission on sale. The other gets paid a flat fee for their valuation - so no conflict of interest with their valuation report.

My sister was a registered valuer and got her deploma at night school not university, the same with agents licenses

Registered valuers regularly ask local agents what other simular properties sold for and did not do their own inspections to establish their values when i was in the game

And i now from recent dealings they still do the same thing, a quick look and ask other people who know the local values

Market appraisal or valuation same thing they can make higher or lower depending what the owner wants

"Market appraisal or valuation same thing they can make higher or lower depending what the owner wants" - not true.

A real estate agent can list a property at whatever the owner wants.

A registered valuer's valuation report is not influenced by what the owner wants because banks, the tax office, finance companies, family law courts, lawyers, estate planners, even the Government under compulsory aquisition laws etc etc have to rely on its accuracy, in case of issuing a loan or court procedings, therefore, a registered valuer can be sued if they are not reasonably accurate. This is why all registered valuers have professional indemnity insurance.

Professional registered valuers should take their comparable sales data from the Land Titles Office, which is documened, and can be proven - not from just ringing a few local real estate agents.

Like the good old days everybody is now an expert on real estate. The butcher, the diving instructor, his p/a, the wife and even the dog will tell you how much its worth.

A lot of you seem to disagree with NKL but he's making more sense than any of you.

I asked the OP about the 6 % return guaranty and the answer is we will let it out to holidayers. Bloddy hell I can do so myself ! Where is the guaranty ?????

Is there an XXX amount on a blocked bank account I can access when the develper disapears ? NO of cause not.

Land closer to the sea is more expencive BULL !! It is not.

Now if any of you want my qualifications... I was a certified surveyor with "Norske Veritas" Those are the same people who stand for any ISO standard. If there is another survayor or maybe a engeneer with the appropiate skill set you will have heard of the.

I have survayed: houses, estated, schools, churches, sport accomadations, harbours, commercial buildings, seafronts, and anything else. I've done this for the Dutch goverment, banking institutions and all sorts.

"I have survayed: houses, estated, schools, churches, sport accomadations, harbours, commercial buildings, seafronts, and anything else. I've done this for the Dutch goverment, banking institutions and all sorts." - have you done any of this on Phuket?

No - didn't think so.

You are not in The Netherlands now. :)

Now, if some fresh off the plane, first timer, who falls in love with a bar girl and pays 20 million for the same property - I would not value the property at 20 million baht, as you would, because the particular sale is an "out of line sale."

If that is your understanding of my reasoning, you have not understood it at all. So good luck with your valuations.

Your "reasoning" is if some fool pays way over the odds for a property here, then that's the property's market value, and that's not correct.

It's an out of line sale and does not reflect the true market value of the property.

What bout the con men working on Phuket selling property at extremely inflated prices? Are they legit salemen selling at "market value" or con men?

Your "reasoning" is if some fool pays way over the odds for a property here, then that's the property's market value, and that's not correct.

It's an out of line sale and does not reflect the true market value of the property.

What bout the con men working on Phuket selling property at extremely inflated prices? Are they legit salemen selling at "market value" or con men?

As I said, good luck with your valuations. Since you always understand things differently from what people are writing, why do people, and that includes, maybe even especially, me still bother in reacting to anything you say I don't know.

So I'll refrain from any further discussions with you.

As I said, good luck with your valuations. Since you always understand things differently from what people are writing, why do people, and that includes, maybe even especially, me still bother in reacting to anything you say I don't know.

Well, I have given you an insight into how, and why, I would value property here.

Why don't you explain to me how you would value a property here?

Well, I have given you an insight into how, and why, I would value property here.

Why don't you explain to me how you would value a property here?

Always going to be a point of contention, however to throw something into the mix, I personally prefer to think it's about individuals values, and not the value that can be attributed to property, businesses etc etc.

Many of us are domiciled here, owning (with wives/partners) property, the same as we would anywhere in the world. Forget the BS that NKM preaches about 'you can never own land' etc. In a former life, I had property and assets in my own and joint names, and come the day of reckoning, guess where those property/assets landed? I have more statutory rights to my/our joint possessions than ever I did in the UK/EU.

Getting back to the OP though, I think that Phuket9 has been quite candid in his responses, and let's face it, he's not looking for an evaluation of his sales techniques, only spreading the information of his business (for which he's entitled through sponsorship).

Whether or not the properties represent value is purely subjective, and if he's confident that there is a market, who are we/anybody to disagree? Just lets see how the market pans out, and then in 6 months or so, come back to comment.

• Like 2

@ pagallim

"Forget the BS that NKM preaches about 'you can never own land'" - bit harsh pagallim. I was talking about a 30 year land lease by a foreigner, but even that does have it's risks.

We all know a foreigner can not own land in Thailand, in our name, 100% freehold title. It's misleading of you to say that it is "BS."

"I personally prefer to think it's about individuals values, and not the value that can be attributed to property, businesses etc etc." - that makes for a solid financial purchasing decision. biggrin.png

"it's about individuals values" - what about such things as experience, local knowledge, due diligence, pest and building inspections, geographic location, comparative sales, location to amenities, future resale values, quality of the construction, associated fees, insurance and taxes, supply of uilities to the property - town water etc, town planning - what will be built near you in the future etc etc.

Then, there are broader issues like political stability, visa laws, changing demographics of the population, crime, infastructure, pollution etc etc.

These, and many more, SHOULD all be considered when an individual places a value on a property before purchasing it.

@ pagallim

"Forget the BS that NKM preaches about 'you can never own land'" - bit harsh pagallim. I was talking about a 30 year land lease by a foreigner, but even that does have it's risks.

We all know a foreigner can not own land in Thailand, in our name, 100% freehold title. It's misleading of you to say that it is "BS."

"I personally prefer to think it's about individuals values, and not the value that can be attributed to property, businesses etc etc." - that makes for a solid financial purchasing decision. biggrin.png

"it's about individuals values" - what about such things as experience, local knowledge, due diligence, pest and building inspections, geographic location, comparative sales, location to amenities, future resale values, quality of the construction, associated fees, insurance and taxes, supply of uilities to the property - town water etc, town planning - what will be built near you in the future etc etc.

Then, there are broader issues like political stability, visa laws, changing demographics of the population, crime, infastructure, pollution etc etc.

These, and many more, SHOULD all be considered when an individual places a value on a property before purchasing it.

This is where you consistently fall over in your comments. I, like many others that I know, have previously owned property in their native countries, and have a preference for owning rather than renting. Note the term preference.

When, again, I refer to individuals values, it's about the lifestyle one chooses, including location and all of the other things that you mention. Property purchase, though obviously there's always the hope of appreciation, is typically done through the heart (location and attractiveness of area). Most buying here are not really thinking about value increases, more about quality of life and a comfortable home.

Just out of curiosity, how long is your current rental agreement for? Do you anticipate an extension or have your researched alternatives. Is there a suitcase under your bed ready to slide to the next condo/apartment/shophouse should the tide of antipathy or agression towards resident Honda Wave riding farang residents of Patong get cranked up over the low season? Does your landlord/lady regularly inspect your home for damage or suspicious stains to the mattresses or worktops? Do the people working in the local shops recognise you?

@ pagallim

This is where you consistently fall over in your comments. I, like many others that I know, have previously owned property in their native countries, and have a preference for owning rather than renting. Note the term preference.

When, again, I refer to individuals values, it's about the lifestyle one chooses, including location and all of the other things that you mention. Property purchase, though obviously there's always the hope of appreciation, is typically done through the heart (location and attractiveness of area). Most buying here are not really thinking about value increases, more about quality of life and a comfortable home.

Just out of curiosity, how long is your current rental agreement for? Do you anticipate an extension or have your researched alternatives. Is there a suitcase under your bed ready to slide to the next condo/apartment/shophouse should the tide of antipathy or agression towards resident Honda Wave riding farang residents of Patong get cranked up over the low season? Does your landlord/lady regularly inspect your home for damage or suspicious stains to the mattresses or worktops? Do the people working in the local shops recognise you?

"I, like many others that I know, have previously owned property in their native countries" - I current own several properties across three continents. They are part of my property portfolio, but I would never buy a property here. So, to suggest I do not have a preference to owning is wrong. I have also flipped a few in the past.

I have no problem with people's lifestyle choices. I have made the same choice, just chose to rent here, for reasons previously mentioned.

My current lease is 12 months. Yes, I anticipate extending again, and already have, once before. I am currently happy with my accommodation and location.

I have a suitcase that can be packed with personal and electrical items, some clothes etc - in case feces ever hits the fan here, for whatever reason, or, my personal circumstances change. Eg. health issues.

I am not tied to Phuket by business and/or property interests. If/when I walk away from Phuket, I lose nothing. I have a reasonably new motorbike but I'll sell it off for a few baht for a quick sale.

I occassionally have the manager onto my balcony for a beer. His English is good. He probably has a quick look around, but he has never commented negatively on any of my house keeping. In fact, he asks if everything is alright with the place.

I replaced the mattress when I signed the long lease. No bother for me or management. I wash my own sheets, with some bleach, after a "fun night" on it. :)

The people in the local shops, even the Family Mart, recognise me, I occassionally buy them a small bag of fresh fruit.

I'm not quite sure how the above is relevant to the valuing of property on Phuket.

I asked the OP about the 6 % return guaranty and the answer is we will let it out to holidayers. Bloddy hell I can do so myself ! Where is the guaranty ?????

Is there an XXX amount on a blocked bank account I can access when the develper disapears ? NO of cause not.

The rental guarantee amount is fixed in agreement it is paid upfront every 3 months. What is your question?

Interesting how do you pay a garranteed rental return plus capitol gains 6%/10% some offer up to 30 months while building

on houses or condo's not even built, get offers from red hot salesmen all the time from Phuket and Pattaya by Email

Where is the money coming from, not included in the original asking price by any chance???

Nkm shouldnt be taken seriously.

He lives in Patong in a rented room and doesn't intend or even seem to be financially available to purchase anything.

Hardly an expert on anything, maybe public transport.

He has enough money to buy bleach for his sheets after apparently sullying them having "fun"bah.gif

He lives in Patong in a rented room and doesn't intend or even seem to be financially available to purchase anything.

I live on the fringe of Patong, by choice, in a rented fully furnished apartment in a complex, not a hotel room, and yes, I have no intention of buying a property here. I certainly have the financial ability to do so, but I chose not to. For me, it's not a wise financial decision.

I never claimed to be an expert on all things Thai - like so many other expats think they are.

I just put forward my comments, opinions and views.

Now, since you claim to be an expert, how about you tell me how you would go about valuing a property on Phuket that you were considering purchasing.

• Like 1

He has enough money to buy bleach for his sheets after apparently sullying them having "fun"bah.gif

I had no idea my sex life was so interesting to other members. Perhaps they are bored with their own and would like to live vicariously through mine. :)

I am single and have an active sex life. So what?

I've had some "fun" with some old "aquaintances" from my home country who have visited me here for a holiday and stayed with me. I've picked up the odd foreign women here on holiday and some times I've paid a bar fine and sometimes I've got a shag for free.

I hardly think that classifies me as a sex tourist, although some may disagree.

One day I might meet a nice, legitimate, Thai lady and stop my wicked ways. :) Until then, I continue to enjoy my freedom here.

What has this got to do with how members of this forum value property on Phuket?

I live on the fringe of Patong, by choice, in a rented fully furnished apartment in a complex, not a hotel room, and yes, I have no intention of buying a property here. I certainly have the financial ability to do so, but I chose not to. For me, it's not a wise financial decision.

I never claimed to be an expert on all things Thai - like so many other expats think they are.

Now, since you claim to be an expert, how about you tell me how you would go about valuing a property on Phuket that you were considering purchasing.

I never stated I was an expert but as someone who had bought and sold properties here. I have some experience.

There is no science to it. Sometimes you get lucky and pick up a fire sale or the development has good facilities and location. It also depends if you have children. It's all relative to life circumstances.

If one was to buy an investment property here, it's all about location and amenities.

You wouldn't buy one in Ao yon to rent out, nice for expat life but holiday rentals not so much unless it's a repeat yearly migrant. Hard target market.

If I was to invest say 8.5 as Phuket9 is selling his villas for.

I'd rather buy 3 maybe 4 studio apartments around Kata and be content with 15-20k each month per unit and own them foreign freehold.

As I said. There is no science to it. Each investor has a different method.

• Like 2

I never stated I was an expert but as someone who had bought and sold properties here. I have some experience.

There is no science to it. Sometimes you get lucky and pick up a fire sale or the development has good facilities and location. It also depends if you have children. It's all relative to life circumstances.

If one was to buy an investment property here, it's all about location and amenities.

You wouldn't buy one in Ao yon to rent out, nice for expat life but holiday rentals not so much unless it's a repeat yearly migrant. Hard target market.

I'd rather buy 3 maybe 4 studio apartments around Kata and be content with 15-20k each month per unit and own them foreign freehold.

"Sometimes you get lucky and pick up a fire sale" - would that be know in the property game as an "out of line sale?" biggrin.png

There are many "fire sales" here and many foreigners "paying over the odds" that's it's hard to guage the true market value of a property on Phuket, by western valuation methods.

How did you value the properties you have bought in the past?

Edited by NamKangMan

"Sometimes you get lucky and pick up a fire sale" - would that be know in the property game as an "out of line sale?" biggrin.png

Which are few and far between but they do happen.

I rather call it a distressed sale.

• Like 1

@ hansgruber

You answered while I was adding and editing to my previous post. Please read it again.

I agree "distressed sales" do happen. I believe they will start to happen more often as the property of the 80's boom here start to go on the market in the next few years.

I also believe that overpriced sales happen here, frequently. That is, foreigners paying over the odds for a property.

Would you agree that this happens?

Edited by NamKangMan

@ hansgruber

You answered while I was adding and editing to my previous post. Please read it again.

I agree "distressed sales" do happen. I believe they will start to happen more often as the property of the 80's boom here start to go on the market in the next few years.

I also believe that overpriced sales happen here, frequently. That is, foreigners paying over the odds for a property.

Of course it happens but it isn't unique to Phuket.

Lots of people don't do due diligence and buy on emotion. Works out sometimes and sometimes not.

@ hansgruber

Of course it happens but it isn't unique to Phuket.

Lots of people don't do due diligence and buy on emotion. Works out sometimes and sometimes not.

So, with sales ranging from distressed sales to sales where the new owners has paid over the odds - that would make it difficult to gauge the true market value of an individual property on Phuket, would it not?

Unlike another member of this forum, I do not believe the market value of a property is simply what the owner paid for it at sale - that is just wrong.

I have posted how I would tend to value a property here, how did you value your properties when you purchased them?

@ NKL: nobody is valuing anything here except you. So stop banging on about something only you're interested in, because you have done the same in Australia (BTW, we're on Phuket now).

So you are happy to pay the asking price here,the majority of people want to know the real value if they intend buying

Not the prices asked ,it take years for the property to get capitol gains or gain in value as a lot of newbie buyers have found out

People are not happy if they own a property for a period of time and have to sell it at a loss as many did after the recession hit

and they had to leave Thailand

I am a potential buyer and you are not, so i will not pay more than its true value, maybe you would

I prefer houses a few years old to buy so you can check for structural problems, seen plenty of houses 4 to 6 years old full of

cracks some so bad the only way to fix the problem is demolish the building

Now all the new buildings i have seen recently are cement rendered breeze blocks even the pools in some developments are

made of breeze blocks not concrete with reinforcing bar called rebar i can only imagine the structurall problems in a few years time

In plans aproved by govt here rebar is supposed to be used in the concrete, but the builders regularly use mild steel round which is

useless for reinforcing concrete but cheap

The only people here who only use rebar make the motorcycle side cars, if they usedthe cheaper mild steel round the sidecars would not last a day

Hate to tell you this but rebar is just plain old carbon steel, or mild steel as you put it. It has a patterned surface so the concrete will adhere to it better.

Rebar is the cheapest form of steel you can buy. Bars or rods are more expensive.

You need rebar in the foundations and all load bearing pillars and beams. Steel mesh for floors is usually good enough and that's about it.

You will get problems if you do not use the right size rebar and mesh. Many contractors save money by using the lightest and therefore cheapest. Unless you were present when they were pouring the concrete you will never know what is holding the house together.

• Like 1

@ NKL: nobody is valuing anything here except you. So stop banging on about something only you're interested in, because you have done the same in Australia (BTW, we're on Phuket now).

So you are happy to pay the asking price here,the majority of people want to know the real value if they intend buying

Not the prices asked ,it take years for the property to get capitol gains or gain in value as a lot of newbie buyers have found out

People are not happy if they own a property for a period of time and have to sell it at a loss as many did after the recession hit

and they had to leave Thailand

I am a potential buyer and you are not, so i will not pay more than its true value, maybe you would

I prefer houses a few years old to buy so you can check for structural problems, seen plenty of houses 4 to 6 years old full of

cracks some so bad the only way to fix the problem is demolish the building

Now all the new buildings i have seen recently are cement rendered breeze blocks even the pools in some developments are

made of breeze blocks not concrete with reinforcing bar called rebar i can only imagine the structurall problems in a few years time

In plans aproved by govt here rebar is supposed to be used in the concrete, but the builders regularly use mild steel round which is

useless for reinforcing concrete but cheap

The only people here who only use rebar make the motorcycle side cars, if they usedthe cheaper mild steel round the sidecars would not last a day

Hate to tell you this but rebar is just plain old carbon steel, or mild steel as you put it. It has a patterned surface so the concrete will adhere to it better.

Rebar is the cheapest form of steel you can buy. Bars or rods are more expensive.

I hate to tell you this but, try bending rebar with your hands, any reasonable size you cannot thats why its used

everywhere in the world to reinforce concrete

Try bending mild steel round with your hands, women have no problem doing it thumbsup.gif

Mild steel round is cheaper than rebar thats why builders use it

Edited by nedkellylives
  • Like 1

Clearly this topic has moved very far away from a sponsor promoting the sale of land and villas. Discussion of land valuation was near enough on topic, but now we are on the detailed subject of construction material. The sponsor seems happy enough to let this topic roam, but now it's very close to being closed. Can we try to get back to Rawai VIP Villas, thank you.

The rental guarantee amount is fixed in agreement it is paid upfront every 3 months. What is your question?

How do you pay 6% up front on houses that do nor exist

Developers do this all the time and also promise 10% capitol gains for up to 30months on unfinished buildings

The only way you can do this is if the money you pay out is included in the sale price

Back on topic as LIK wanted

Edited by nedkellylives