Short break in Koh Samui

Never been there before and would like to get recommendations on places to stay. Not really fussed about 5-star hotels but anything else would be fine. Thinking of staying in Maenam going by other recommendations here.

I think you might get better recommendations over in the Samui forum. More local knowledge there. Samui is a pretty big island. There are several different areas, each with their own pros and cons.

What's your budget? How long do you want to stay? Do you want to party or just relax and enjoy the beach???

Topic Moved.

Depends on what you want. I live in Maenam which is quiet with a great beach, probably one of the best as it has got plenty of palm trees for shade, something that Chaweng or Lamai is lacking. If you want night life then go to Chaweng or Lamai, it will be full on.

If you just need a clean bed with fan/shower toilet etc you can get a bungalow a few metres from beach for Bht 500 night at "Shangri La" resort Maenam. Just booked a mate in there yesterday, plenty of room now. Other options available there with A/Con, beach front etc.

Edited by oldsailor35

Lots of resorts around .... Maenam, all different prices....

A place several people I know have stayed at New Sunrise Villa.... nice garden setting.... around the 1000 baht a night range (maybe a bit less now) some rooms have fridge and TV... just about on the beach !

Located where that boat is, in the picture.... (taken this morning)

IMG_4982.JPG

Just to add to your last question, there are a number of good places to eat in the area... entertainment... well that is a bit lacking.... depends on what kind! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

I'm going with someone and would be looking for good food and some drinking and entertainment. Budget probably 1500baht / night.

Chaweng is party central. We just stayed there for 3 nights and enjoyed it. Nice to be able to walk up the beach and stop in an any number of interesting bars and restaurants. It's a very beautiful beach at night. Want more "interesting" entertainment, it's not too far off the beach.

I've never stayed in Lamai, but we drove through when we were there. Lots of beer bars on the main drag, if that's your thing.

We also went to Mae Nam. Probably closer to Ban Bang Po. Beautiful beach lined with palm trees as mentioned above. That's where we'll stay next time. But much more quiet and entertainment seems to be a bit further away...transport might be needed.

Lovely island.

Would you say Chaweng would suit a couple looking for a fun 3 or 4 days?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes.

• Like 1

Would you say Chaweng would suit a couple looking for a fun 3 or 4 days?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes but Chaweng beach is a big beach and has 3 distinct areas.

North Chaweng, the beach area not as good as it's protected by a reef / lagoon area, very quiet at night and a little hilly.

Central Chaweng, the main party place on the island. Beach is a mix of the end of the reef and the better open water part. Nightlife is it's big draw card with places like Ark Bar and Soi Green Mango.

South Chaweng, has the best beach with open water. Nightlife is quieter but not dead and it's a 15 - 20 minute walk to central.

Very popular with couples.

Pretty much the whole beach is lined with hotels, I'd suggest you search the booking sites like hotelscombined, hotels.com or expedia and find a hotel in your budget.

Going for a hotel a block or 2 off the beacb can be great value.

Edited by Absolut

As a couple, we prefer South Chaweng. Like you say, it's a short walk to pretty much anywhere you want to go. Though we were surprised at the price increase in hotels since our last visit some 5-6 years ago.

• Like 2

North Chaweng, the beach area not as good as it's protected by a reef / lagoon area, very quiet at night and a little hilly.

Central Chaweng, the main party place on the island. Beach is a mix of the end of the reef and the better open water part. Nightlife is it's big draw card with places like Ark Bar and Soi Green Mango.

South Chaweng, has the best beach with open water. Nightlife is quieter but not dead and it's a 15 - 20 minute walk to central.

Very popular with couples.

now, but later in the year North Chaweng has the best water for swimming and Middle to South Chaweng swimming can be dangerous. It depends when you come. No need to walk too, some hotels have shuttle buses and many taxis are everywhere on Chaweng 24/7.

»I'm going with someone and would be looking for good food and some drinking and entertainment. Budget probably 1500baht / night.«

Looking for good food, fun and entertainment, forget Lamai and Maenam, Chaweng is the place – and around the northern part of the middle.

The Beach Road is full of restaurants, trendy cafés and pubs. A new just opened boutique mall Samui Central Festival is also crowded with restaurants and cafés. The beach will be party-like almost every night; the infamous Ark Bar has “Beach Party” every Wednesday and Friday. You can dine, have good coffee or a cocktail, enjoy techno music and fire show – and of course dance in the sand or on the beach tables. Also “Cha Cha Moon Beach”, close to Ark, arrange beach parties weekly, often Saturdays, and monthly Full Moon and Black Moon Party; music style Techno to Trance.

On the opposite side of the Beach Road you will find the entertainment area with nightlife and after party, the entrance is called “Soi Green Mango” referring to one of the oldest dance & music places further up the ally, “The Green Mango”. There are a number of disco’s in the area, mainly Dance or Tech Dance; party begins around Midnight and until 3 o’clock; After Party at Sound Club with 3 stages until early morning. By the way, don’t miss The Moulin Rouge Cabaret, if you have not yet been to a Thai Cabaret show. All within walking distance if you find the right place for accommodation.

You can stay together with part the main party crowd at Ark Bar, quite big resort, where they both have some of the original old cheap bungalows, and nice modern and very recommendable accommodation from around 1,200 baht/night. A few hundred meters further south is a bungalow resort with prices around 1,500 baht, if I remember right named “Best Beach Bungalows”, that might be more quiet accommodation than Ark Bar. Chaweng beachfront has become a bit up-price in the central area; however a few old resorts like PP (next to Ark) are still available, but not worth the price; most of the old ones have vanished or been reconstructed to more luxury style with prices (way) above your budget. The beach can be a bit crowded.

If you prefer a more quiet area with a good and not crowded beach, Maenam is a good possibility for affordable beachfront bungalow accommodation around your budget, some local restaurants and a weekly afternoon market at Thursdays (lots of food, 60-baht cocktails and some music), but no nightlife apart from a few lonely beer bars at The Ring Road. There will be about 20 to 30 minutes drive to the nightlife in Chaweng. Renting motorbike is a possibility, but driving can be an adventure – some say dangerous – at Samui and not advisable if you wish to drink more than a few. Taxi to Chaweng will cost between 500 or 600 baht (agree price frist, they won’t drive by meter), however in daytime until 6pm you can use the “public transportation”, song thaew pick-up car where you shall pay around 40 to 60 baht per person for the trip, but may be charged a bit more. After 6pm song thaews will drive like taxis.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

We didn't see the action at Ark Bar, but based on the size of the speakers, I can only imagine what it would be like. I'd sure hate to stay there during one of their party nights...or be at any nearby resort.

We drove all over the island for 3 days. I was amazed at the number of scooter accidents I saw. Traffic is pretty heavy...and crazy...especially those van drivers.

I stumbled upon Maenam Bay Resort recently while visiting Bado's Indian restaurant. Their brochure shows rooms @THB 1,400 to THB 2,800. Having seen the rooms I was quite impressed. The beach is 200m along the same road and there are enough bars & restaurants within walking distance for you to not need a car.

HTH

»I'm going with someone and would be looking for good food and some drinking and entertainment. Budget probably 1500baht / night.«

Looking for good food, fun and entertainment, forget Lamai and Maenam, Chaweng is the place and around the northern part of the middle.

The Beach Road is full of restaurants, trendy cafés and pubs. A new just opened boutique mall Samui Central Festival is also crowded with restaurants and cafés. The beach will be party-like almost every night; the infamous Ark Bar has Beach Party every Wednesday and Friday. You can dine, have good coffee or a cocktail, enjoy techno music and fire show and of course dance in the sand or on the beach tables. Also Cha Cha Moon Beach, close to Ark, arrange beach parties weekly, often Saturdays, and monthly Full Moon and Black Moon Party; music style Techno to Trance.

On the opposite side of the Beach Road you will find the entertainment area with nightlife and after party, the entrance is called Soi Green Mango referring to one of the oldest dance & music places further up the ally, The Green Mango. There are a number of discos in the area, mainly Dance or Tech Dance; party begins around Midnight and until 3 oclock; After Party at Sound Club with 3 stages until early morning. By the way, dont miss The Moulin Rouge Cabaret, if you have not yet been to a Thai Cabaret show. All within walking distance if you find the right place for accommodation.

You can stay together with part the main party crowd at Ark Bar, quite big resort, where they both have some of the original old cheap bungalows, and nice modern and very recommendable accommodation from around 1,200 baht/night. A few hundred meters further south is a bungalow resort with prices around 1,500 baht, if I remember right named Best Beach Bungalows, that might be more quiet accommodation than Ark Bar. Chaweng beachfront has become a bit up-price in the central area; however a few old resorts like PP (next to Ark) are still available, but not worth the price; most of the old ones have vanished or been reconstructed to more luxury style with prices (way) above your budget. The beach can be a bit crowded.

If you prefer a more quiet area with a good and not crowded beach, Maenam is a good possibility for affordable beachfront bungalow accommodation around your budget, some local restaurants and a weekly afternoon market at Thursdays (lots of food, 60-baht cocktails and some music), but no nightlife apart from a few lonely beer bars at The Ring Road. There will be about 20 to 30 minutes drive to the nightlife in Chaweng. Renting motorbike is a possibility, but driving can be an adventure some say dangerous at Samui and not advisable if you wish to drink more than a few. Taxi to Chaweng will cost between 500 or 600 baht (agree price frist, they wont drive by meter), however in daytime until 6pm you can use the public transportation, song thaew pick-up car where you shall pay around 40 to 60 baht per person for the trip, but may be charged a bit more. After 6pm song thaews will drive like taxis.

why infamous Ark Bar???

probably best would be middle to South Chaweng in June, best sand, best water, a lot of resorts for all prices, hundreds of restaurants on Chaweng, farmer markets, walking street, night market, beach restaurants, brand new open shopping, dinning complex etc

• Like 1

no, Chaweng is a long bay with 2 beaches, Chaweng Yai and Chaweng Noi, but actually most people mean Chaweng Yai, if they speak about Chaweng. So, South Chaweng is the stretch on Chaweng Yai from appr. Banana Fan Sea to Samui Paradise Beach Resort.

Bay View Village? There was a resort named like that, which is now the Arayaburi, which is on another location. You probably mean Samui Bayview Resort, which is not on Chaweng but between Chaweng Noi and Lamai.

• Like 1

Looking for good food, fun and entertainment, forget Lamai and Maenam, Chaweng is the place and around the northern part of the middle.

The Beach Road is full of restaurants, trendy cafés and pubs. A new just opened boutique mall Samui Central Festival is also crowded with restaurants and cafés. The beach will be party-like almost every night; the infamous Ark Bar has Beach Party every Wednesday and Friday. You can dine, have good coffee or a cocktail, enjoy techno music and fire show and of course dance in the sand or on the beach tables. Also Cha Cha Moon Beach, close to Ark, arrange beach parties weekly, often Saturdays, and monthly Full Moon and Black Moon Party; music style Techno to Trance.

On the opposite side of the Beach Road you will find the entertainment area with nightlife and after party, the entrance is called Soi Green Mango referring to one of the oldest dance & music places further up the ally, The Green Mango. There are a number of discos in the area, mainly Dance or Tech Dance; party begins around Midnight and until 3 oclock; After Party at Sound Club with 3 stages until early morning. By the way, dont miss The Moulin Rouge Cabaret, if you have not yet been to a Thai Cabaret show. All within walking distance if you find the right place for accommodation.

You can stay together with part the main party crowd at Ark Bar, quite big resort, where they both have some of the original old cheap bungalows, and nice modern and very recommendable accommodation from around 1,200 baht/night. A few hundred meters further south is a bungalow resort with prices around 1,500 baht, if I remember right named Best Beach Bungalows, that might be more quiet accommodation than Ark Bar. Chaweng beachfront has become a bit up-price in the central area; however a few old resorts like PP (next to Ark) are still available, but not worth the price; most of the old ones have vanished or been reconstructed to more luxury style with prices (way) above your budget. The beach can be a bit crowded.

If you prefer a more quiet area with a good and not crowded beach, Maenam is a good possibility for affordable beachfront bungalow accommodation around your budget, some local restaurants and a weekly afternoon market at Thursdays (lots of food, 60-baht cocktails and some music), but no nightlife apart from a few lonely beer bars at The Ring Road. There will be about 20 to 30 minutes drive to the nightlife in Chaweng. Renting motorbike is a possibility, but driving can be an adventure some say dangerous at Samui and not advisable if you wish to drink more than a few. Taxi to Chaweng will cost between 500 or 600 baht (agree price frist, they wont drive by meter), however in daytime until 6pm you can use the public transportation, song thaew pick-up car where you shall pay around 40 to 60 baht per person for the trip, but may be charged a bit more. After 6pm song thaews will drive like taxis.

why infamous Ark Bar???

Because I'm not native Englisg and use a wrong word by memory... sad.png Sorry, should rather be “legandary” I think... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

no, Chaweng is a long bay with 2 beaches, Chaweng Yai and Chaweng Noi, but actually most people mean Chaweng Yai, if they speak about Chaweng. So, South Chaweng is the stretch on Chaweng Yai from appr. Banana Fan Sea to Samui Paradise Beach Resort.

Bay View Village? There was a resort named like that, which is now the Arayaburi, which is on another location. You probably mean Samui Bayview Resort, which is not on Chaweng but between Chaweng Noi and Lamai.

So it's about on the 12 o'clock mark if you look at Samui island as a whole.

We didn't see the action at Ark Bar, but based on the size of the speakers, I can only imagine what it would be like. I'd sure hate to stay there during one of their party nights...or be at any nearby resort.

We drove all over the island for 3 days. I was amazed at the number of scooter accidents I saw. Traffic is pretty heavy...and crazy...especially those van drivers.

HotelsCombined reviews say that guests found the rooms noisy.