Odd statistic or randomness?

Cosmo88

Old soldiers talk about and write about war experiences. But don't take my word for it. Look below.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/see-hear/collections/oral-histories/

The Museum has collected a number of recordings of the personal stories of veterans of World War II. These oral histories contain vivid retellings and synthesis of the experience of the war through first-hand accounts and memories of the men who were there.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

Yeah,like the guys you meet that are ex Cia,or Mi5,laughable.

Statistically there has to be some of this type here. Keep in mind Thailand was the most chosen R & R country during the Viet Nam war. Oh excuse me yanks (police action)

This thread reminds me of my service as a Postal Commando at APO San Francisco in the 60's.

"Incoming mail!!......rat tat tat tat tat....take that Jonesy!!!....rat tat tat tat tat....eat paper McDonald.......you're goin' down.....uh......uh.....Alphabet!!!! (That was ONE of the things DS called me in boot camp.)

Then there was the time we were returning from patrol at Filmore West, Steve Miller Band and New Riders of the Purple Sage were causing a ruckus in that sector. Our minds addled by chemical agents the driver drove our military issue Plymouth Fury with the $39.95 Earl Scheib paint job off the main trail and straight into the Taraval streetcar tunnel. Realizing that a superior unfriendly force was heading straight for us we hastily retreated and managed to get out safely.

Heady times those were.

Edited by riceyummm
  • Like 1

The guys I know who actually were something special in the military don't like to talk about it. For many the memories aren't good and they'd just as soon forget it. Yes they were special and very brave, but they were also human and scared. I know some who have PTSD.

My dad wasn't special forces but he's alive at 97 and was at D-Day and he fought along with British soldiers liberating France and then on into Belgium we he was severely wounded just before the Battle of The Bulge.

He has a bronze star for bravery in battle and a purple heart for being wounded in battle. Getting him to talk about it is like pulling teeth. All of these decades he's done is best to forget it. The things he saw and did are terrible memories.

If you met him you'd never know he was in the military unless you asked. Then you wouldn't get the whole story including the medals.

Yeah. In response to your post and the previous one (#29), there are bound to be genuine ex-whatever. Having done some extraordinary things in my life and found incredulity when recounting, I understand not volunteering information, but the experiences were real and there is a desire to, on the one hand tell, and on the other keep quiet.

I guess the drunks that tell have given up being discreet.

• Like 1

The stories are entertaining until the Thai bashing begins in earnest. Funny, how the bar stool or a keyboard transforms a loser into an intellectual. They seem to forget their home countries success was because of people unlike them that succeeded in spite of losers. Not saying all bar stool intellectuals are losers but lets be honest, Thailand does attract them.

Self awareness is humbling for most. I'm just not as great a person as I would enjoy telling you I am. I retired at 40 because I was lucky enough to know the right people back home and worked hard for a few years. Nothing exceptional about me with the exception that I'm living the life I dreamed about years ago.

I worked with a guy who claimed to be a Panamanian invasion veteran who had 27 confirmed kills including women and children. This was basically his opening line every time he had a new conversation, no matter whether he was in a pub, work, meeting a customer, sitting at a table of men, women and children. It was such an obvious lie, yet he was such a deluded dude he couldn't see it.

Yeah,like the guys you meet that are ex Cia,or Mi5,laughable.

Statistically there has to be some of this type here. Keep in mind Thailand was the most chosen R & R country during the Viet Nam war. Oh excuse me yanks (police action)

In the early days of the Korean war (Yes Canada oh Canada was in that one) Truman referred to it as a police action. Vietnam was referred to as a conflict. I was a participant in the Vietnam war and everyone I know called it a war. I guess you had to be there. Hawaii was the most popular R&R destination but was reserved for married men.

Edited by thailiketoo

Life can deal some cruel blows, who knows why they feel the need to reinvent themselves and the story which brought them here. Perhaps the "real" story is too painful, or maybe too pathetic, who knows who is anyone to sit in judgement. If you dont like it, dont believe it or whatever, just smile and move on.

This is a wonderful attitude. Being judgemental is such a waste of energy. However, I don't think the OP is being judgemental. It seems to me that he is just expressing a curiosity.

T

I've run into a few story tellers and other assorted eccentrics here in Thailand and abroad. I listen, sometimes briefly, and another times I excuse myself and move out smartly.

Everyone has a right to say what they want and to imagine themselves to be. Mobility is a wonderful thing. I exercise it regularly to avoid an environment I find uncomfortable.

Live and Let Live

The highly regarded American poet Tobias Keith Covel wrote about this:
We got winners, we got losers
Chain smokers and boozers
And we got yuppies, we got bikers
We got thirsty hitchhikers
And the girls next door dress up like movie stars
We got cowboys, we got truckers
Broken-hearted fools and suckers
And we got hustlers, we got fighters
Early birds and all-nighters
And the veterans talk about their battle scars
Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this bar

Personally I like his prose re Willy!!!

Unfortunately, most posters unfortunately misunderstood the topic of the OP. It is not about people getting drunk and talking nonsense in bars. Most people do that at least now and then, and it is completely normal. So obviously it is not about bashing such people (or any other people for that matter) either.

The OP is explicitly about pathological liars, also known as compulsive liars or mythomaniacs. It is a condition not dissimilar (although unrelated) to Tourette's syndrome; the sufferer knows he is indeed lying (hence is not delusional), but he cannot stop himself from doing it.

The story begins rather interesting and plausible, but soon gets gradually more and more spectacular. The fable is always contained in a way that it is very difficult to disprove, no matter how unlikely it sounds. The person is mostly not even particularly drunk, and in fact often sober.

I was simply interested if other people have spotted this very unusual (and sad) condion among farang in Thailand. I hade personally never seen it anywhere in the world, except a few examples among farang in Thailand.

Unfortunately, most posters unfortunately misunderstood the topic of the OP. It is not about people getting drunk and talking nonsense in bars. Most people do that at least now and then, and it is completely normal. So obviously it is not about bashing such people (or any other people for that matter) either.

The OP is explicitly about pathological liars, also known as compulsive liars or mythomaniacs. It is a condition not dissimilar (although unrelated) to Tourette's syndrome; the sufferer knows he is indeed lying (hence is not delusional), but he cannot stop himself from doing it.

The story begins rather interesting and plausible, but soon gets gradually more and more spectacular. The fable is always contained in a way that it is very difficult to disprove, no matter how unlikely it sounds. The person is mostly not even particularly drunk, and in fact often sober.

I was simply interested if other people have spotted this very unusual (and sad) condion among farang in Thailand. I hade personally never seen it anywhere in the world, except a few examples among farang in Thailand.

You could try reading, Walter Mitty is a fictional character in James Thurber's short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", first published in The New Yorker on March 18, 1939.

Although the story has humorous elements, there is a darker and more significant message underlying the text, leading to a more tragic interpretation of the Mitty character. Even in his heroic daydreams, Mitty does not triumph, several fantasies being interrupted before the final one sees Mitty dying bravely in front of a firing squad. In the brief snatches of reality that punctuate Mitty's fantasies the audience meets well-meaning but insensitive strangers who inadvertently rob Mitty of some of his remaining dignity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty

End quote.

Thailand? Thurber spotted in NYC in 1939. Only in Thailand indeed.rolleyes.gif

It is a normal condition in some people all over the world. You are only another run of the mill Thai basher to suggest it only occurs in Thailand. wai2.gif

Indeed a classic film also, with Danny Kaye.

I am not sure why you read any bashing whatsoever into anything I wrote. That is indeed mysterious. I even stated that it is a sad condition. I believe my written English is clear enough.

Also, I don't suggest anything. I only state that I have only ever seen it among farangs in Thailand, and wondered if others might have had similar experiences.

I am not sure why you read any bashing whatsoever into anything I wrote. That is indeed mysterious. I even stated that it is a sad condition. I believe my written English is clear enough.

Also, I don't suggest anything. I only state that I have only ever seen it among farangs in Thailand, and wondered if others might have had similar experiences.

Because your contention is nonsense. It is a condition of mankind not just Thailand as the book and movie prove. It is a bad condition of mankind. It is a fake and phony storyteller. Mostly construed to be bad.

You have found this bad, fake and phony condition only to exist in Thailand. That shows how far your negative prejudice has skewed your judgment.

Because your contention is nonsense. It is a condition of mankind not just Thailand as the book and movie prove. It is a bad condition of mankind. It is a fake and phony storyteller. Mostly construed to be bad.

You have found this bad, fake and phony condition only to exist in Thailand. That shows how far your negative prejudice has skewed your judgment.

Your comments are very informative.

The guys I know who actually were something special in the military don't like to talk about it. For many the memories aren't good and they'd just as soon forget it. Yes they were special and very brave, but they were also human and scared. I know some who have PTSD.

My dad wasn't special forces but he's alive at 97 and was at D-Day and he fought along with British soldiers liberating France and then on into Belgium we he was severely wounded just before the Battle of The Bulge.

He has a bronze star for bravery in battle and a purple heart for being wounded in battle. Getting him to talk about it is like pulling teeth. All of these decades he's done is best to forget it. The things he saw and did are terrible memories.

If you met him you'd never know he was in the military unless you asked. Then you wouldn't get the whole story including the medals.

I think there's a misconception that only men who are silent have experienced war or experienced the cutting edge world of black ops, etc. I have not found this to be true. Certainly amongst themselves the memories tend to flow, and often with time flow equally around others, sometimes enhanced, sometimes not. After running on adrenaline for decades Special Forces, for example, die disproportionately fast. If they survive 10 years the model changes and they will likely have similar Lives; I read this once. But it's quite hard to make friends, fit in, or relate to others after such a life. Silent? Talkative? They just reflect the various personalities we all have. I know this from first person knowledge.

Yeah. In response to your post and the previous one (#29), there are bound to be genuine ex-whatever. Having done some extraordinary things in my life and found incredulity when recounting, I understand not volunteering information, but the experiences were real and there is a desire to, on the one hand tell, and on the other keep quiet.

I guess the drunks that tell have given up being discreet.

I tried to figure this out but after my last post read your post above; I think this is correct. The realization that others will either not believe or will not get it.. Yea, this is correct.,

Thailand presents us with the opportunity to reinvent ourselves. Not a bad thing but like anything taken to extremes it might not end well. Professionally I was a diiick at times and driven to a fault. Here I just blend into the crowd with the exception of endurance sports. The OP was correct in his view that Farangs in Thailand are more delusional than back home just as people are on Internet forums throughout the internet world. Given the opportunity we all probably would like to change something about our "real" life.

Met many nice people here in Thailand that are full of BS. Not my type of person I'm close to but not a problem either.