'Don't remove the cone': latest advice on the Net

Lite Beer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We are scared ! When moving to Thailand 6 month ago we were very excited to live in such a lovely country. Now my wife doesn't want to leave the house, actually she wants to leave the country. We live near Chaeng Wattana. We have met very often the "guards", either in the street or in the nearby shopping mall. They look look like thugs, my wife says they look like bikers, now the sunday riders, the gangsters. Until now they were keeping their distance but now we read in the newspapers that they start to attack people at random. According to our expat colleagues it's the first time in recent time that protesters attack innocent bystanders. So far the violence has always been confined around the protest sites but now things seem to change especially for the follower of this monk. How can someone call himself "Buddha". It shows what a fanatic nuts we are dealing with.

Last night I couldn't sleep well. I am up very early this morning and the first I did was checking the news to see if anything happened in our neighborhood. Yesterday I was talking to my boss. I asked him either to assign me somewhere else or to accept my resignation. He asked me to wait a few days and promised a special bonus to make up for the trouble. Money is fine but if we see any new report of people attacked in their car by these so called "guards", we are out of here !

37 posts. Have you met fab4?

Whats your point scorecard. Flaming again?

Obviously he's trying to intimate that JohnnyJazz has only said this because he's got a political axe to grind, not because he's genuinely scared of these guards. Perhaps Scorecard is another that's convinced himself that the former monk's guards are a peaceable bunch of long haired hippies, Grateful Dead fans who just want to chill, get loaded and listen to some jams. They're basically pacificists, unless, of course, someone does something extremely provocative like moving a cone ("Hey maaan, don't move the cone, bad vibes dude, you're killing our buzz") - but only a red shirt would do something as outrageous as that and obviously they deserve what's coming to them anyway. In reality, most people could see, subtracting any politics from this (I'm sure the reds have similar types around), that masked men, roaming around with guns, beating people up for moving cones and closing roads, might be the sort of people who are legitimately scary, and you don't have to be a raving red loon to think that they are.

That aside, it's good of the former monk to offer to compensate the guy they beat up. Did anyone miss their flights yesterday because of the road closure? It was closed for a couple of hours so it seems likely that at least a few people would have missed their flights. Shouldn't the former monk be offering to compensate them too? I mean, surely he's made enough from his dealings in the past few months that it wouldn't put him out too much, and as it's DM, they're likely to be cheap flights anyway.

Edited by Emptyset

That aside, it's good of the former monk to offer to compensate the guy they beat up. Did anyone miss their flights yesterday because of the road closure? It was closed for a couple of hours so it seems likely that at least a few people would have missed their flights. Shouldn't the former monk be offering to compensate them too? I mean, surely he's made enough from his dealings in the past few months that it wouldn't put him out too much, and as it's DM, they're likely to be cheap flights anyway.

Did anyone miss the grenade attack on anti-government protesters last night? Two grenades, two anti-government protesters wounded. Must be more than 40 since begin of November. All because the undemocratic blanket amnesty pushing government calls the anti-government protesters separatirst, terrorists, undemocratic etc., etc.

BTW since you seem to have insight in Buddha Issara's bank account could you provide more detais, or is your suggestion just build on wishful thinking or thin air?

Did anyone miss the grenade attack on anti-government protesters last night? Two grenades, two anti-government protesters wounded. Must be more than 40 since begin of November. All because the undemocratic blanket amnesty pushing government calls the anti-government protesters separatirst, terrorists, undemocratic etc., etc.

BTW since you seem to have insight in Buddha Issara's bank account could you provide more detais, or is your suggestion just build on wishful thinking or thin air?

If they weren't carrying out an illegal and undemocratic takeover, they wouldn't get hit with grenades. It's not all because of the "amnesty" at all. The amnesty is long gone now, so why are they still on the streets and on the verge of naming an appointed govt? Now, I don't support grenade attacks on civilians, but if these guards are attacked, why should I care in the slightest? They're an illegal armed militia. My stance on this is perfectly consistent with the stance I took on the red shirts in 2010 btw. Targeting the "men in black" was fair enough as far as I was concerned. Even Seh Daeng was a legitimate military target. I was against the killing of civilians. And that situation could've been avoided if an election was called - not such a hugely difficult thing for a government to do, one would think, if it avoids killing scores of people. Whereas in this situation, there's not an option but for this government to carry on. They've done their democratic duty and called an election. That was back in December, remember. Now the PDRC want revolution and they tend to be bloodly affairs, historically, Rubl - generally because usually a revolution requires confronting the state and its armies. The PDRC have the military pretty much on their side, so they've actually been subject to much less violence than would historically be the case.

Anyway, what does that have to do with them beating people up over cones, closing the airport road and frightening people that live nearby? You seem to be indicating that the grenades justify it. OK, well, obviously from their POV it does (not from mine, because I don't think what they're doing is justified or legitimate). But that doesn't mean that complaints against the PDRC by people directly affected by their actions aren't justified, does it? Are people just supposed to support everything they do? Isn't there any valid criticism of them that would be acceptable to you?

So, for a moment just assuming the anti-government protesters are trying an illegal and undemocratic takeover, you think it's close to logical they get hit by grenades in the dark? By cowardly pro-government criminals?

The "blanket amnesty bill" which even covered Ms. Yinglucks two years in office is not gone, it's still there only dormant and can be activated again. Had the anti-government protesters listened to Ms. Yingluck (please go home there more procedure to follow) and gone home the Senate would probably have voted for the bill as no one seemed against it.

BTW the last night attack targetted anti-government protesters and managed to injure two of them. They were not guards.

So, to state again, when you are targetted nightly, have 40 or more grenades dropped on you because some think that a legal and democratic response, wouldn't you think that anyone who acts suspicious will call violence unto himself.

AS for valid criticism, well I think some of the guards I've seen up close may need a haircut and a bath.

Edited by rubl

Why doesn't he hand himself over to the police?

How can this bloke set himself up as judge jury and executinor and just keep harassing intimidation anybody that dare cross him or his thug guards?

Why should people yield their rights the guards?

Exactly!

Why should people yield their rights the guards? .................Because if you don't,you will likely finish up in hospital or worse still in a box. This is Thailand!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We are scared ! When moving to Thailand 6 month ago we were very excited to live in such a lovely country. Now my wife doesn't want to leave the house, actually she wants to leave the country. We live near Chaeng Wattana. We have met very often the "guards", either in the street or in the nearby shopping mall. They look look like thugs, my wife says they look like bikers, now the sunday riders, the gangsters. Until now they were keeping their distance but now we read in the newspapers that they start to attack people at random. According to our expat colleagues it's the first time in recent time that protesters attack innocent bystanders. So far the violence has always been confined around the protest sites but now things seem to change especially for the follower of this monk. How can someone call himself "Buddha". It shows what a fanatic nuts we are dealing with.

Last night I couldn't sleep well. I am up very early this morning and the first I did was checking the news to see if anything happened in our neighborhood. Yesterday I was talking to my boss. I asked him either to assign me somewhere else or to accept my resignation. He asked me to wait a few days and promised a special bonus to make up for the trouble. Money is fine but if we see any new report of people attacked in their car by these so called "guards", we are out of here !

What you say is very sad. Just bear in mind though, that this is still one of the safest countries in the world in every other respect. Your location at Chaeng Wattana is unfortunate. Presumably you are renting as you've only been here a few months. Why not surrender your deposit and move to a more stable part of town. Then you can relax and enjoy the company of Thais at their best: jovial, fun loving, gentle, friendly people.

These thugs are like the Nazi brownshirts -mindless violent thugs, acting at the behest of a man who sounds more like Hitler every day. They do not represent the Thai people who reject them repeatedly at the ballot box. They represent the rich elite who are using them to maintain their control of the country.

Good advice, but when you lose confidence as JJ's wife has, there is no point in staying. I am sure he and his wife will do what they think is best for them and good luck to them.

My T/W and I have been looking at our Plan B options. I know serveral expats who are doing the same.

Yellow cones or red cones, anyone with half a brain would know it is not wise to remove cones set up by people who are likely to be obsessed and/or fanatical about a cause and coupled with mob mentality downright dangerous.

I believe the average joe on both sides has a noble and legitimate cause in their minds, but not so for the leaders and guards.

Most are akin to paid mercs on a power trip.

I think most of these altercations are due to people who want to test the limits of their ego's.

The stupid "I'm not afraid of you" people who pick up the cones and the "we are big shot guards and can beat up anyone against our cause" thugs. Its like the dumb and the dumber.

One f the best comments I have read is from above 'Millwall fan'''in every other way Thailand is one of the safest places in the world' - he must be comparing it to Milwall - very safe if you don't drive, take a bus, go by train,live in pattaya , hat yai,or take ferries or use jet ski's in Phuket etc etc -very safe -I think I am going to die crying with laughter!

OK, compared to the areas surrounding Millwall FC's ground, many places may be considered safe, although its not nearly as bad as the media make it out to be.

But I was not making comparisons: This country is one of the safest in the world overall. Take a look at some of the statistical comparison websites for evidence.

On a personal level I have driven all around this country for nearly 20 years without incident. I believe there have been more deaths on British Railways over the past 20 years than on SRT (trains dont go fast enough here to cause too many fatalities). My post referred to Thailand, not Pattaya, but even so if you stay away from troublesome areas like soi 6, its pretty safe. I have no intention of living in Hat Yai, but I have been through it and would again - as I lived through the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland: 'incidents' were relatively rare. I know of no serious incidents involving ferries in recent years, (this is not Indonesia or the Flipps) and in my view jet skis are extremely dangerous in many countries and I have no desire to ride one. I don't want to say that you are talking &lt;deleted&gt;, but the evidence seems to point that way....

I don't know whats more disgusting, the PDRC guards or those supporters of the PDRC who defend these thugs. Their behaviour is indefensible

You call these thugs? Nah, They are far from it.

The real thugs are coming out and recently they hire a farang leader as well.

My answer to this is "Snipers" coffee1.gif do you have a source of this farang leader your talking about, I have rad about farand 'supporters' but not leaders.

Well, as I watched the udd rally, there is a farang on the red stage giving a long speech. He sounds like a new UDD core member. I suppose him the first farang udd leader? 5555......

Yellow cones or red cones, anyone with half a brain would know it is not wise to remove cones set up by people who are likely to be obsessed and/or fanatical about a cause and coupled with mob mentality downright dangerous.

I believe the average joe on both sides has a noble and legitimate cause in their minds, but not so for the leaders and guards.

Most are akin to paid mercs on a power trip.

I think most of these altercations are due to people who want to test the limits of their ego's.

The stupid "I'm not afraid of you" people who pick up the cones and the "we are big shot guards and can beat up anyone against our cause" thugs. Its like the dumb and the dumber.

"I think most of these altercations are due to people who want to test the limits of their ego's.

The stupid "I'm not afraid of you" people who pick up the cones and the "we are big shot guards and can beat up anyone against our cause" thugs. Its like the dumb and the dumber."

Whoa....that's like the population you're talking about smile.png

What you say is very sad. Just bear in mind though, that this is still one of the safest countries in the world in every other respect. Your location at Chaeng Wattana is unfortunate. Presumably you are renting as you've only been here a few months. Why not surrender your deposit and move to a more stable part of town. Then you can relax and enjoy the company of Thais at their best: jovial, fun loving, gentle, friendly people.

These thugs are like the Nazi brownshirts -mindless violent thugs, acting at the behest of a man who sounds more like Hitler every day. They do not represent the Thai people who reject them repeatedly at the ballot box. They represent the rich elite who are using them to maintain their control of the country.

I like that comment "one of the safest countries in the world in every other respect" not!

Travelling by bus safe? riding the railway's safe? To name just two!!

How many other activities can you name that illustrates Thailand as one of the safest countries in the world, not?

• Like 1

I like that comment "one of the safest countries in the world in every other respect" not!

How many other activities can you name that illustrates Thailand as one of the safest countries in the world, not?

Sitting behind keyboard and typing on a forum

Then you need to get a hobby Retell. There is a whole world out there, leave the keyboard, open the windows and look outside. If your brave go outside for 5 mins and each day increase it by a minute. Don't feel ashamed, you are not alone and there are many like you. Since you were last out they have things called apps and texting. You can be outside away from your keyboard, use your phone. I pad or notebook anywhere there is Wi Fi. Once you get out you will find these things.

Wish you all the best away from sitting behind your keyboard.

P,S what is a keyboard, is that like those old typewriter things?

• Like 1

Then you need to get a hobby Retell. There is a whole world out there, leave the keyboard, open the windows and look outside. If your brave go outside for 5 mins and each day increase it by a minute. Don't feel ashamed, you are not alone and there are many like you. Since you were last out they have things called apps and texting. You can be outside away from your keyboard, use your phone. I pad or notebook anywhere there is Wi Fi. Once you get out you will find these things.

Wish you all the best away from sitting behind your keyboard.

P,S what is a keyboard, is that like those old typewriter things?

555 chooka good one ,Was joking around a bit , i do get out allot ,got plenty hobby and activity

I just named 1 activity that is safe doesnt mean i sit inside the house all day doing Bobbin lace

Hey activity no2

Edited by retell

Where are the majority of reasonable Thai people?

When will they show up in force and stop this country from being overrun by fascist thugs.

. Well, they voted in the past few elections. Look what good it did them. Their elected government keeps getting overthrown over the silliest reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

More disgusting facts and pictures emerging about the ice truck driver beaten stabbed and stuffed in a bin bag. Nation will be waiting for Sutheps spin, but are sadly lagging behind the story timewise and makes people wonder if the word "Newspaper" is still fitting for them.

As it is all over the real news, its going to turn of even more people from this vile bunch.

They'll be safe once they are cleared out of Bangkok as the army will protect them in their Southern Stronghold, hoping one day for another try at a coup/take over.

Enormous news regarding the army chiefs today for those who can read between lines or anylize who the big picture players are..... Not many non here then! smile.png

It was right outside Channel 5 too, they stabbed him, punctured his lungs and liver. He's in critical condition in Ratchawithi Hospital.

Since when have they controlled the road outside Channel 5?

His girlfriend is 4 months pregnant, she ran from the scene to get help. Thankfully others came to save him or they might have put a whistle round his neck and thrown him in the river and used him as propaganda.

The army news is very very good (a certain great great man is fully in charge now it seems), and the recognition of CAPO's authority even better, but have you seen the van handing out gifts at Aksa road? It's on Pantip now (go to Pantip.com, click the democracy icon on the right, it's in one of the topics).

If you know who is behind that company... nothing we can say here. But go. It'll put a big smile on your face when you see it.

If they didn't understand my 'airforce toilet bus' comment I made, and they don't understand why Aksa road was chosen for the red protest, then very few people will understand what we are discussing!

But good news for Democracy. Looks like Thailands future is very bright and Sutheps very very dim. biggrin.png

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 2

More disgusting facts and pictures emerging about the ice truck driver beaten stabbed and stuffed in a bin bag. Nation will be waiting for Sutheps spin, but are sadly lagging behind the story timewise and makes people wonder if the word "Newspaper" is still fitting for them.

As it is all over the real news, its going to turn of even more people from this vile bunch.

They'll be safe once they are cleared out of Bangkok as the army will protect them in their Southern Stronghold, hoping one day for another try at a coup/take over.

Enormous news regarding the army chiefs today for those who can read between lines or anylize who the big picture players are..... Not many non here then! smile.png

Must have missed the ice truck driver in a bin bag. Maybe just missed it switching from channel 3 to 5 to 7 to NBT to MCOT to Thai PBS.

Anyway the topic here is "Sumeth Somkanae, a safety trainer of the Thai Journalists' Association".

It was right outside Channel 5 too, they stabbed him, punctured his lungs and liver. He's in critical condition in Ratchawithi Hospital.

Since when have they controlled the road outside Channel 5?

His girlfriend is 4 months pregnant, she ran from the scene to get help. Thankfully others came to save him or they might have put a whistle round his neck and thrown him in the river and used him as propaganda.

The army news is very very good (a certain great great man is fully in charge now it seems), and the recognition of CAPO's authority even better, but have you seen the van handing out gifts at Aksa road? It's on Pantip now (go to Pantip.com, click the democracy icon on the right, it's in one of the topics).

If you know who is behind that company... nothing we can say here. But go. It'll put a big smile on your face when you see it.

If they didn't understand my 'airforce toilet bus' comment I made, and they don't understand why Aksa road was chosen for the red protest, then very few people will understand what we are discussing!

But good news for Democracy. Looks like Thailands future is very bright and Sutheps very very dim. biggrin.png

The Pantip thing - yes, if it indeed carries this meaning (and being Thailand, it probably does), than good news for the country.

Sadly, won't help the girl and her guy. Let us hope this would be the last incident for this round.

Edited by Morch

So where is that windbag Scamper? A thread without a comment from Mr post-and-run? Must be tough when you cheer for the team that attacks innocent civilians such as this ice-delivery man.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

....and these are the people who want to run the country. I'd prefer to stick with democracy..

I wouldn't worry. Many people want to run the country but that doesn't mean they can. It also depends on who you mean by these people? I can't see a monk being PM and anyway he seems not to condone this sort of behaviour and Suthep never even led the Democrats so I can't see him suddenly making it either. There are extremists on both sides but most are peaceful.

Let's not forget though that in 2010 whilst most red shirts are non violent there were people on stage promoting violence and arson. Where are those people now.

These PDRC guards need to be brought before the courts and at least the monk has said he will hand them over and if he is able to but doesn't then I would be the first to condemn him.

If we're talking about handing people over who have been violent when are the democratically elected caretaker government going to hand over the soldiers who shot people in 2010 instead of protecting them?

• Like 1

Other important bits of common sense:

• Don't draw a gun
  • Don't try to run anyone over
  • hide any weapons, especially grenade launchers and bombs
  • be polite if stopped
This applies whether you are being stopped by a red-shirt roadblock, pdrc guards at a protest site, or even by the police at a check point.

Good but transparent try to divert attention by referencing non existent red shirt road blocks.Police check points not an issue.The issue is the disgusting thuggery of the PDRC and the dishonesty of its backers.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app