Russian denied entry at Phuket International Airport over 'visa' crackdown

webfact

I believe the shit may well hit the fan over this incident and the inevitable others which will follow.

I hope she's already notified the Russian Embassy about this as I believe she was singled out for being a Russian. If she wasn't a russian it wouldn't have happened.

Note to Mariia when you read this - please contact your Embassy to make an official complaint about this incident.

Yep. This will be the begining of all Russian and western tourists deserting Thailand causing economic collapse which will bring Thailand to it's knees.

If they start enforcing this strictly it will cause big problems in the resorts. At the end of the day there is this huge volume of long stay tourists in a grey area.

there is no "gray area." She was working illegally, that isn't a "long stay tourist gray area" that will send "tourists" packing. It is working without a permit.

• Like 2

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to understand her timeline of visa-runs:

After arriving in Phuket in October, Ms Sgibneva left to get a three-month tourist visa in November. She then completed a visa run in February. Subsequently, she left the country on March 21 for a visa run, then again to visit friends in Kuala Lumpur on March 30 and April 18.

- Arrives sometime in October, (presumably by air ==> 30 day visa exempt)

- Leaves within that 30 days to get a 3-month tourist visa

- 3 month tourist visa expires sometime in February and she does (I assume) a 15-day visa-run to Ranong

- Another Ranong visa-run on March 21st (so she must have been on overstay) - gets 15 days

- Leaves (assume by air) to visit friends in KL, not on overstay

- Returns from KL on unknown date, will get 30 days visa-exempt

- Goes again (assume by air) to KL to visit friends, not on overstay

Now unless immigration know something about her that we do not know (criminal etc), it looks like she did 2 visa-runs to Ranong, (one on overstay), and left Thailand well within the validity of her subsequent visa exempts.

So why was she denied entry at the airport???

Because she's a known (or strongly suspected as being) 'working girl'?

Not saying she is, but there's an awful lot of single Russian girls in Phuket who are. She was lucky she was arrested at the airport where she could get a flight quickly. If she'd been refused entry at Ranong, where on earth would she go?

How do you know the Phuket police haven't been keeping an eye on her and other girls, using the re-entry as an excuse to get rid of them bit by bit, without having to go through all the faff of arresting them and doing all the deportation paperwork?

Just as well Pattaya doesn't have an international airport ...

After arriving in Phuket in October, Ms Sgibneva left to get a three-month tourist visa in November. She then completed a visa run in February. Subsequently, she left the country on March 21 for a visa run, then again to visit friends in Kuala Lumpur on March 30 and April 18.

- 3 month tourist visa expires sometime in February and she does (I assume) a 15-day visa-run to Ranong

- Another Ranong visa-run on March 21st (so she must have been on overstay) - gets 15 days

Now unless immigration know something about her that we do not know (criminal etc), it looks like she did 2 visa-runs to Ranong, (one on overstay), and left Thailand well within the validity of her subsequent visa exempts.

Not saying she is, but there's an awful lot of single Russian girls in Phuket who are. She was lucky she was arrested at the airport where she could get a flight quickly. If she'd been refused entry at Ranong, where on earth would she go?

How do you know the Phuket police haven't been keeping an eye on her and other girls, using the re-entry as an excuse to get rid of them bit by bit, without having to go through all the faff of arresting them and doing all the deportation paperwork?

Yes, she was working but not as you describe. Please read the thread.

Despite the article using the term "visa run," what it looks like she did was make/attempt four or five pretty much back-to-back visa-exempt entries in a 6-7 month period of time - separated by only one actual tourist visa.

That does seem to be the kind of behavior that the new crackdown on consecutive visa exempt entries is aimed at.

The article says she didn't want to go back to her home country, Russia. So what exactly has she been doing in Thailand for all these months???

Take a guess ...

Did she not miss the point! She had no proper visa and was on numerous visa runs. You takes a gamble, you makes your choice,

She had no money to support herself and no place to stay with no money. These are all reasons to refuse entry.

I agree that the attitude of the officers ( according to her) was wrong, but we don't know what her attitude was to them.

They were doing their job, and from her account, for the right reasons .

Sorry

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Foxter
  • Like 1

I wonder if the press get paid to confuse their readers. They speak about Visaruns. How someone can do a Visarun for a visa-exempt entry? Then, it is a shame that Thaivisa have to translate the new rules since immigration is obliviously not able to do it as well to communicate to the tourist in several languages.

It seems one time more like, the authorities decide something and don't think about potential consequences to differ kind of travelers. Just another Shooting from the hip.

Not to understand me wrong; I welcome this harsher rules. But they way how hey did it realize and enforce is a bad joke.

And you think employment "fixing" to look like a "good" girl doesn't happen....................coffee1.gif

something is wrong with her story. She says she has more than 20,000 B in her bank account but the police offer to buy her ticket she don't have enough to pay for it and says her friend can buy her a ticket. So really seems like she dont have cash. She is looking to get her stuff sent to Phuket but wants it done cheap so again sounds like she dont have any money, Why is she here if she has no money, how can she stay here if no money. Seems like she just might be working here and immigration caught her.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, thousands of Burmese work on constructions sites here everyday. biggrin.png

Difference is their employers or maybe the workers themselves hand over some money to immigration without making any complaints and problem solved.

This Russian woman refused to withdraw the 20,000 Baht. Whilst I would have initially also shown the presence of money in my bank account to the officers if I were in the same situation, if they wanted to see actual cash there would have been no argument - I would have bolted to the nearest ATM and displayed my cash pronto, even if it meant making a cash advance on my credit card (which is something I don't like doing but for an immigration official of course I would do it).

A recent thread here on TV about Vietnamese being asked to do the same at the Aranyprathet/Poipet border upon entering Thailand was met with a complaint to a Vietnamese newspaper and a Vietnamese memo to the Thais to "stop it" which I think was rude and none of Vietnam's business. Thailand has every right to impose financial requirements on foreign visitors if they see fit. If this lady doesn't have the funds to live in Thailand, then she shouldn't be in Thailand. Same with the Vietnamese visitors in that story - no funds or insufficient funds = no entry I'd say. I hope that the Thai officials won't be lenient and follow the Vietnamese request, which as I just said...is none of their business. If she has the funds, then let her in, but in this case it seems a case of rudeness, not having sufficient funds and a possible recent overstay as some other posters have noted definitely didn't help her cause.

And you think employment "fixing" to look like a "good" girl doesn't happen....................coffee1.gif

If you were to read the thread and know her place of employment you'd understand. Nothing to do with fixing anything, she was simply working illegally for quite some time.

“The first question they asked was if I had a departing ticket from Thailand – I didn’t. But not a big deal, I could buy one.

Not a big deal? So failing to comply with Thai immigration law is not a big deal? Proof of an onward ticket is a clear requirement of Thai immigration if the passenger does not possess a valid visa. I am surprised the airline allowed her to board, as check-in agents have checked this on every flight I have taken in the last five years. Also, by allowing such an occurrence, airlines (Air Asia in this case) are liable for the air fare back out and they can also be fined.

Singled out for being Russian? Sorry, but Thai immigration were following the letter of the law, and the outward bound ticket/sufficient funds requirements are both part of the law. If anything, it appeared that Immigration were willing to be lenient by asking her to prove sufficient funds when she could not produce an outward bound ticket. And I would not be surprised if this woman displayed a bit of attitude to the immigration officers and perhaps told them that it was "not a big deal" and went on whining about being singled out because she was Russian.

From Thailand-immigration.org - requirements for Russians

Citizens of Russia are permitted to stay up to 30 days under the Bilateral Agreement with Thailand if entering via international airport or through a land border checkpoint from a neighboring country, e.g., Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia.

Please note that you must be in possession of the following if you wish to visit Thailand:

1. A valid passport.

You will need a passport valid for at least 6 months following your departure date. It is also recommended that your valid passport have at least 2 remaining unused pages for any necessary entry and exit stamps that may be issued.

2. A confirmed travel itinerary
  3. Proof of funds and accommodation.

Says it all, and I suspect she didn't bother checking.

Edited by Mister Fixit

I believe the shit may well hit the fan over this incident and the inevitable others which will follow.

I hope she's already notified the Russian Embassy about this as I believe she was singled out for being a Russian. If she wasn't a russian it wouldn't have happened.

Note to Mariia when you read this - please contact your Embassy to make an official complaint about this incident.

Yep. This will be the begining of all Russian and western tourists deserting Thailand causing economic collapse which will bring Thailand to it's knees.

I believe there is a clearly defined reciprocal agreement between Russia and Thailand. Lets see how many Thai's get booted out of Russia.

Let's see how many Thais WANT to go to Russia, or even know where it is ...

My feeling, on both counts, is about 1 a year.

That number might be a little low but... I'm guessing that those annual Russian-bound Thais would probably all fit in my living room anyway. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Look first thing it is clearly stated in embassy website how to get proper visa yet you knuckleheads come and sidetrack around the rules which harms those of us that go by the rules respect the laws and customs. Then you whine about how bad you were treated get a life. First if not 55 or older you need 800,000 baht in thai bank account. You can't work in any form while here. You come here disrespect The people and culture work without permit taking jobs from local Thais. Act as if the country owes you a favor get a clue your a guest here act like one. Go by the rules and all is good try funny stuff and get the boot.

Wow! You HAVE been drinking some strange brew ...

And you are also wrong - IF 50 or older you can apply for a retirement visa IF you have 800k or more in a Thai bank, NOT before you are 50!

Anyone from an appropriate country can come into Thailand on a 30 day stamp, or an appropriate visa - they DON'T have to have 800k. They have to show 20,000 baht.

You got it a*se about face.

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 1

That number might be a little low but... I'm guessing that those annual Russian-bound Thais would probably all fit in my living room anyway. biggrin.png

You have a small living room, then? biggrin.png

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 1

Interestingly, the caption on the photo to the lead story states:

Mariia Sgibneva, 26, hoped the sharing her story might raise awareness and prevent others from unexpectedly being denied entry into Thailand.

So for those who work illegally in Thailand without a visa, then do multiple re-entries to continue said illegal employment and arrive at the airport without the required proof of onward travel and funds - be warned: you may be unexpectedly denied entry.

Thanks for sharing, Mariia.

Shouldn't that be:

Marija Sgibneva, 26, hoped the sharing her story might raise awareness and prevent others from EXPECTANTLY being denied entry into Thailand?

She returned from Russia in oct. So she where already living in Phuket. She did multiple visa runs. She didn't have any ticket out of Thailand. She could not show any money or proof that she had money to live here.

They are just enforcing the rules witch they have threathened to do for a long time

Try getting into australia and a lot of other countries without the proper visa, return

air ticket and enough money and see how you go,you will be on the first flight out

with the airline that brought you in and locked up until it departs

ok..but why now?

and once again the "holier than the pope"-crew is out here attacking people who enjoy thailand WITHOUT being a slave of 1/ a job 2/ a parasitic/local family in law ... the more i'm reading TV the more i'm convinced that majority of farang here ("expat/hetic") are a bunch of little minded, right-wing, frustrated white males who indeed DESERVE all the shit they encounter during their ordeal in thailand....... clowns!

• Like 2

They are just enforcing the rules witch they have threathened to do for a long time

Try getting into australia and a lot of other countries without the proper visa, return

air ticket and enough money and see how you go,you will be on the first flight out

with the airline that brought you in and locked up until it departs

ok..but why now?

Why not? coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Walen School can help you with an ED visa if you need want to stay long term in Thailand. Learning Thai is good for you anyway. If you live in Thailand you should speak Thai. Very reasonable requirements.

laugh.png Just like a pop up.........you gotta give the guy credit.

• Like 1

I would guess that this refusal of entry has nothing to do with the latest crackdown, more likely that they correctly suspected that she was working illegally. All for immigration tightening up on these areas.

Since this refusal happened in mid April that seems like a very good guess.

• Like 1

The airports aren't meant to be doing anything like this until August.

Yes but why wait when there is so much tea money to be made now.

If she had cash with her would she now be in Phuket? Cant say for sure but I suspect so, as she didn't have the money she was made an example of.

At the end of the day Thailand does have a right to protect its borders, just as long as it is fair. There are more then few Western countries that would welcome this kind of no nonsense approach I am sure..

So you are saying that they refused her entry because she was Russian and not because she was in violation of numerous laws?

Note to Maria when you read this - please follow the rules.

That's the point, the rules are enforced as one sees fit, plus they are informally changed every so often.

A joke immigration occurrence in a joke country...shocking news.

The airports aren't meant to be doing anything like this until August.

Yes but why wait when there is so much tea money to be made now.

If she had cash with her would she now be in Phuket? Cant say for sure but I suspect so, as she didn't have the money she was made an example of.

At the end of the day Thailand does have a right to protect its borders, just as long as it is fair. There are more then few Western countries that would welcome this kind of no nonsense approach I am sure..

You got a point, BUT, the Western countries you refer to don't depend on tourism. Thailand on the other hand, 20-25% of GDP (which is already falling because of the incredible political maturity that exists here).

You would think that for such an important contributor to GDP they would have some very specific rules and regulations about, instead of changing/enforcing them on a whim. ie. "get that Russian lady, but we're too busy to go after the scum of the earth in Pattaya."

Nasty personal attack.

MrT is most likely younger than you, a business man, local tax payer and someone that assists members of the Thai community, ill people at that.

He could walk down the street with a 19 yo and it wouldn't look out of place. Not overweight either.

You should attack the post, not the poster. You should be ashamed of yourself

Lol, not too sure about the 19 year old bit ND, don't think Mrs T would be too impressed.

• Like 2